Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

You run FSB at 400Mhz right?

Play A3 with that speed and if you not satisfied how game run try little more to OC that CPU.

It's OC and it's max for this CPU...

If I ask you, is precisely for not surprise playing ...

I prefer to have than not say yes, and after I will have lag etc ...

Best wishes have fun tonight :bounce3:

High clock speed dual core is a lot slower than a lower clock quad core.

My i3 520 @ 4.62ghz got 36fps on the benchmark, my current i5 750 @ 4.2ghz got 51fps with higher settings :)

Hi.

My pc is i5 4440, gtx 460 hawk. Wondering if buying arma 3 is good idea if i have that gpu.

Hello. I am wondering why my PC can't run arma 3 with ultra graphics and full view distance, without dipping below 40-35 frames per second.

Specs -

GPU - Nvidia GTX 780.

CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz.

SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD.

RAM - Corsair Vengeance, 16 GB, 1866 MHz.

My CPU has a good cooler, so OC'ing it is a possibility.

What should I upgrade in order to get better performance?

I am running Windows 7.

Thank you.

Hello. I am wondering why my PC can't run arma 3 with ultra graphics and full view distance, without dipping below 40-35 frames per second.

I'd suggest decreasing the viewdistances (overall & object) drastically to increase the performance. The max distance settings are extreme and not intended to be used in regular gaming with current rigs.

Overclocking your CPU would help too, as performance in Arma is quite dependent on the performance of CPU. :)

Does anybody know what performance I can expect from switching to laptop config. That is

Current PC: i5-3570k@4ghz, gtx660, 8gb 1600mhz, Arma on SSD @1440x900

Hypothetical Laptop: Intel Core i5-4210H, GeForce GTX 860M, similar RAM @FHD

Will this laptop allow to play medium-scale multiplayer fluently? Also what part should change in the laptop to get better perf. CPU or GPU?

I have an i5 750 @ 4.2, gtx660, 8gb @1680mhz, arma and windows on sad; I play 1080p with high-very high settings 2.5k view distance.

Single player I get 30-80fps with around 50ish being the average. On a 70 player king of the hill server last night I was getting 40-80fps away from the action and 22-30fps in the thick of it.

Your current pc spec is much, much faster than the laptop, I reckon you would get as low as half the frame rate. The 4210h is a dual core so really going to be flagging, you would need to go to a quad core really to get close to the performance of the pc.

Before I upgraded to the i5 processor I had a i3 530 ( hyperthreading dual core like the 4210) running at 4.62ghz and it had less than half the performance of the i5.

Edited by forteh

Hello i'm New, And i'm french so don't worry about my english :D.

I want to buy new laptop i also have W7 and computer screen.

So can i run arma 3 on ultra or hight graphics and medium view distance, with 40-60 frames per second with this configuration :

Intel Core i5-4590 (3.3 GHz)

MSI B85-G41 PC MATE

Kit Dual Channel DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X, 2 x 4 Go, PC3-12800, CAS 9

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

Asus Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP, 2 Go

Seagate Barracuda, 1 To

Zalman Z11 Plus

Fortron Raider 550S, 550W

Thank's for your next answer :D

Arcka

Hello Arcka Welcome to BIS forums!

Get an I7 or better, you want a quad core

Buy Nvidia, Nvidia with Arma games runs better imo without the crashes that radeon has.

To weak get a 750w or better PSU

You can also use this website:

Can you RUN it

The max distance settings are extreme and not intended to be used in regular gaming with current rigs.

Full graphics and view distances aren't even possible with current hardware while still maintaining 60fps and a useful map.

((Even really expensive things like clockrates around 6.5Ghz aren't doing the trick here.))

Also what part should change in the laptop to get better perf. CPU or GPU?

Definitely CPU - even for a on-die GPU.

While that PSU will power your build now, it's more or less directly on the limit. A PSU's effective power output decreases over time (mostly due to ageing capacitors) - in at most two years you'll have to replace that PSU. Anything above 650W should've enough reserves for that, >750W would provide decent reserves for possible upgrading.

Buy Nvidia, Nvidia with Arma games runs better imo without the crashes that radeon has.

I've got two of these in a OpenCL testrig, running ARMA 3 fine w/o crashes for six hours straight - the Radeon crashes some people experience are probably liked to specific rigs, rather than a general AMD problem.

Get an I7 or better, you want a quad core

To weak get a 750w or better PSU

thank's for answer

It's ok, but I also have aproximatly 700€ to take mi configuration so i can't buy the best component.

So if you have exemple of config who run arma on medium or high with no latence.

I will be happy :D

Hello i'm New, And i'm french so don't worry about my english :D.

I want to buy new laptop i also have W7 and computer screen.

So can i run arma 3 on ultra or hight graphics and medium view distance, with 40-60 frames per second with this configuration :

MSI B85-G41 PC MATE

Kit Dual Channel DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X, 2 x 4 Go, PC3-12800, CAS 9

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO

Seagate Barracuda, 1 To

Zalman Z11 Plus

Thank's for your next answer :D

Arcka

thank's for answer

It's ok, but I also have aproximatly 700€ to take mi configuration so i can't buy the best component.

So if you have exemple of config who run arma on medium or high with no latence.

I will be happy :D

Presuming you re-use your existing case & optical drive I would go for the following: -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-001-OG&groupid=2833&catid=2512&subcat=2513

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-026-KS

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-236-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2463

Pick up a gpu second hand from ebay, I got my gtx660 for £60 and that runs singleplayer 40-70 fps typically on high/very high @ 1080p with 2500 view distance.

The 3.3ghz cpu you have chosen will bottleneck most gpus in arma3, once the mp action kicks off my fps typically drops down to 25-30 at worst, this is completely irrespective of reducing video settings. The motherboard you have chosen also has zero options for overclocking; arma3 really loves fast processors so overclocking to 4ghz+ is the way forwards.

I would make a comment on the psu, it's better to go for lower wattage, higher quality than high wattage low quality. Cheaper ones will crap out faster when you start loading them up. I have an 8 year old ocz modstream 550w (reasonable quality but far from top of the range) that is still pushing my i5 750 along at 4.2ghz without any issues; I have absolutely no doubt that a cheap no name 550w psu would have failed long ago.

You can install windows7 + arma3 on a 120gb ssd without any issues, simply add in a hard disk for storage when you can afford it.

That setup allowing £100 for a reasonable gpu will cost less than £600 and will play arma3 as well as most systems @ 1080p.

edit: all of the above is assuming that you're looking to build a desktop machine to play arma3 and not a laptop :)

Edited by forteh

Hi to all,

I'm interested to upgrade my PC to run ARMA 3 at higher FPS and have some conclusions, but still need help from the community or even ARMA developers to understand few things...

My questions addressed more to people that have good knowledge of PC hardware and ARMA 3 dependencies in hardware

I currently have:

2600K CPU running at 4.4 GHz (OverClocked)

8GB RAM (4x2 1600MHz)

6950 ATI video card (1GB)

ARMA 3 installed on Intel SSD

Let's start from CPU, I did few testings and noticed that ARMA3 cannot utilize at maximum speed all cpu cores, even not two of them, at cpu intensive usage ARMA3 use only one!!! core at maximum speed and all other physical and logical cores load only at 20-50% ... (i think it happens because main arma game engine was wrote long time ago and still don't have good multi-core optimizations)

The other thing that I also noticed that is in most cases frame rate drop happens because of CPU and not because of GPU. I did simple testing - in any mission that have pretty high number of units, i just lowered all graphic settings to minimum values and even turn my playable unit "face" toward the ground, to prevent from video card "drawing" all those units on the screen - but game still have very low FPS number, and if i delete all units from the map without to change graphic settings - frame rate raised significantly...

All this make me think that the main "bottleneck" in ARMA3 performance is CPU...

But in this case - currently there are no cpu on the market, that can make any significant difference in performance compared to my current CPU - any new cpu that will run same 4.4GHz or about so (like mine now) will give me only slight performance improvement...

1. So first question - am i right that ARMA3 will not have any significant improvements from new CPU and more cores (compared to my current CPU)?

About video card - I know that ARMA3 use Physix technology for units, vehicles e.t.c but this technology supported only in NVIDIA cards.

I'm not sure, but i think that ARMA3 with AMD cards will make Physix calculations on CPU and not on GPU...

2. So the question is - Is it true about usage of CPU instead of GPU for Physix calculations ? And does it mean that if i will change my Video card to Nvidia instead of AMD i will free some CPU load and get little bit more FPS ?

3. Does NVIDIA cards have any other benefits over ATI - I mean does Physix technology looks better on it, or maybe it have better driver optimization, or less/more bugs in ARMA3 ?

4. ARMA 3 cpecification over the internet says that game will not use more than 2GB of video memory, so buying video card with more than 2GB will useless for ARMA3 ?

About memory - I also found somewhere information that ARMA3 will not use more then 4GB of RAM...

5. Is this information right and will not have any benefits from extending memory amount ?

6. I've noticed that in some performance benchmarks that memory with higher frequency will give few additional FPS is it right ?

About SSD - I currently have single SSD with arma3 installed...

7. Is it worth to upgrade to double SSD configuration in RAID0 or install a new PCI Express SSD to make ARMA3 load faster ?

B.t.w. I was tried to run arma with and without all those parameters (-maxMem,-cpuCount,-exThreads e.t.c.) - didn't noticed any difference.

Please share your thoughts and thank all for reply!

Card doesn't matter -it's all cpu with this game. Trust me, I went from Titan to 760, no real difference. The overclock you have will help a little and is noticeable from stock speeds. Recently upgraded to SSD and don't really notice anything better, small editor maps like Stratis still take 18-20 seconds with only a few AI to load. Doesn't sound like much of a wait but when your constantly needing to shutdown, restart ie working on Description ext., you'll notice.

Ramdisk is best for loading textures quickly easily beating out SSD's imo. I always go Ramdisk for flight oriented missions where I want to max out my view distance.

1. So first question - am i right that ARMA3 will not have any significant improvements from new CPU and more cores (compared to my current CPU)?

right. A new CPU wouldnt help you very much with this engine. Only BI can fix this problem.

About memory - I also found somewhere information that ARMA3 will not use more then 4GB of RAM...

5. Is this information right and will not have any benefits from extending memory amount ?

True. The game is 32bit only. Ive heard from Dwarden that they are working on 64bit which makes ArmA 3 to use more than 4gb of RAM but its experimental WIP and no details nor ETA has been given. I am afraid that they will Abadone it.

A Tip: NEVER EVER upgrade your rig for arma. it wont help. No matter how much RAM you have, ArmA 3 will always use 4gb of RAM (until 64bit is released). No matter what CPU you have, ArmA 3 wont use all cores to the maximum. same with GPU. dont waste money upgrading your rig in the hope you get better FPS in arma 3. thats a big mistake and money wasting.

Yep you can't get any better from that CPU. No need to update that at all. The more you can squeeze GHz from your CPU the better. 0,1GHz/fps

Going from AMD to nVidia doesn't make any difference. All the PhysX are done in CPU.

GPU upgrade can always be worth it because you can enable more AA stuff, bigger resolution and super sampling if you've room to left for the GPU to breath. I don't know if it's just a legend that Arma 3 can't go over 2GB. I'd guess it could go with some 4K resolution, AA stuff maxed and some super sampling on top of that. If it doesn't then not sure if it's even needed.

I went from 1600MHz CL9-9-24 to 2133MHz CL9-11-10-28 and it gave me 5 fps boost in Altis Benchmark.

More memory won't help except with this one http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?177454-a-simple-registry-tweak-for-increased-performance to keep large pages running longer or if you want to use RAMDisk. It's just better to have 6-8GB today especially if you want to run multiple programs, game and browser at the same time.

About RAID 0 SSD or some PCI-e SSD upgrade I've no idea. Likely won't make much difference really. Better let someone really benchmark those.

Edited by St. Jimmy