Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Have a look about your HD-Graphic's from page 3-33: Click

Then RAM-Timings seem not to match the ones from here: Click (under Specifications)

:)

When I go to "DRAM Timings" (or something like that) in BIOS, the Timings do match...

When I go to "DRAM Timings" (or something like that) in BIOS, the Timings do match...

Ok, that's good then.

If you would like to push your RAM further, that better head over to the G.Skill-Forums

They are a nice bunch of people which are very helpful.

Edited by TONSCHUH

PS, I would like to mention that...

When you go to video configuration, it shows an fps...

Now, this time, it was dark outside, the sun was down on the background image; and it showed 74fps... (This image with the 4-5 domes, and it's dark outside, you might have seen that one before...)

And I remember in the past, that it would be around 48-50 fps or something, with my old ram...

Also, when it was light, it was stable at 56ps for a while, and with my old ram, it would never get that high... (52fps max, IIRC.)

I did the Stratis and Altis benchmark again, but it's still the same: 45 and 40fps respectively...

But this 74fps, damn, wtf, never seen that before...

And disabled the Integrated Graphics. :)

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

If you would like to push your RAM further, that better head over to the G.Skill-Forums

They are a nice bunch of people which are very helpful.

Alright.

Edited by Massey_sd

PS, I would like to mention that...

When you go to video configuration, it shows an fps...

Now, this time, it was dark outside, the sun was down on the background image; and it showed 74fps... (This image with the 4-5 domes, and it's dark outside, you might have seen that one before...)

And I remember in the past, that it would be around 48-50 fps or something, with my old ram...

Also, when it was light, it was stable at 56ps for a while, and with my old ram, it would never get that high... (52fps max, IIRC.)

I did the Stratis and Altis benchmark again, but it's still the same: 45 and 40fps respectively...

But this 74fps, damn, wtf, never seen that before...

And disabled the Integrated Graphics. :)

The fps in the Menu are not really representative as far as I can tell.

I would try to play some SP-Missions and have a look how your fps are. Just use Fraps or something to get a fps overlay in-game.

If you think that the average fps in-game are to low, then you have to adjust your quality-settings.

Choose a lower profile or play around with settings like view distance etc. to find the right overall settings for yourself.

Some people are able to enjoy the game with ~25-30fps, but others "need" at least 60fps to be able to enjoy the game.

Well, gonna stop using the Dev Build...

Tried to load a campaign, and it gave me an error that it was unable to load a certain file...

And yes, I have Fraps installed, gonna do a benchmark, when hopefully, I'm able to load the campaign.

You can try to reset the hdr settings ingame, i heard about that issue that when the Arma clock reach 11 P.M. it will drop hard frames. You can reset it by going into Options -> HDR -> set to low and then set it back to normal again.

This is what i heard so i cant confirm that. Its worth a try :)

Well, gonna stop using the Dev Build...

Tried to load a campaign, and it gave me an error that it was unable to load a certain file...

And yes, I have Fraps installed, gonna do a benchmark, when hopefully, I'm able to load the campaign.

Ok, I wish you good luck with it.

You can try to reset the hdr settings ingame, i heard about that issue that when the Arma clock reach 11 P.M. it will drop hard frames. You can reset it by going into Options -> HDR -> set to low and then set it back to normal again.

This is what i heard so i cant confirm that. Its worth a try :)

Alright, I'll try that.

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

PS: Yet to try out the Multiplayer. :D. But I did read that it's best you join a clan...

Oh well, having fun with the campaigns so far. :)

The fps in the Menu are not really representative as far as I can tell.

I would try to play some SP-Missions and have a look how your fps are. Just use Fraps or something to get a fps overlay in-game.

If you think that the average fps in-game are to low, then you have to adjust your quality-settings.

Choose a lower profile or play around with settings like view distance etc. to find the right overall settings for yourself.

Some people are able to enjoy the game with ~25-30fps, but others "need" at least 60fps to be able to enjoy the game.

You cant compare such things, playing in 60 frames looks simply better. And those who say there is no difference, i spare my words for this kind of humans...

Just check the Video and imagine if this would be the same when playing Arma, so smooth...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grid-Autosport-PC-258529/Videos/Grid-Autosport-30-vs-60-Fps-Video-1126402/

And people enjoy the game with whatever of frames thats right, but only cause they have no other choice. They like a game, it runs sucks and the devs do not enough in this case to make it better. So which choice u have? People play with 10-20 frames cause the devs dont give a couple fucks to this problem...

Alright, this is a Fraps benchmark...
You cant compare such things, playing in 60 frames looks simply better. And those who say there is no difference, i spare my words for this kind of humans...

Just check the Video and imagine if this would be the same when playing Arma, so smooth...

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grid-Autosport-PC-258529/Videos/Grid-Autosport-30-vs-60-Fps-Video-1126402/

And people enjoy the game with whatever of frames thats right, but only cause they have no other choice. They like a game, it runs sucks and the devs do not enough in this case to make it better. So which choice u have? People play with 10-20 frames cause the devs dont give a couple fucks to this problem...

I belong to the group which doesn't enjoy playing games with ~25-30fps and that is why I stopped playing ARMA-3 a long time ago.

Dark, Night Vision on. The mission "Bingo Fuel."

Friggin' hell, I've died so many times in this mission already, lol.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2diojsh.png (137 kB)

I didn't try many night-missions, so I'm not sure how they perform compared to day-missions.

How did you enjoy it so far, with the amount of fps you got right now ?

Oh yes, I enjoy it.

Don't mind that I'm not able to get 60+fps.

Then everything is good I would say.

Enjoy !

You can still try to squeeze more out of your system, but if you are happy how it is, then I would not bother so much about it.

I am close to 4000 hours in Steam in Arma 3. I like the game, it would deserve better frames in my opinion

I totally agree with you and hope that the RC-MP-Server-Test will help to improve things a bit for you.

After such a long time without major improvements I just pretty much gave-up on it.

Lesson learned and there will be no more supporter-editions / pre-orders for me for BIS-Products.

if i can get some suggestions, i would appreciate. i currently have gtx 580 1.5GB and good quad cpu O.C to 4.0, the game though doesnt run well unless i overclock my gpu as well and normaly drops to the 20s when in heavy fights and in urban areas(always plays single player btw, never multiplayer). so will moving to gtx 980 help? if not, then WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME?

Edited by killerwhale

@killerwhale

Your i7-930 despite being clocked to 4.0 GHz is still 10+ FPS behind i5-4690K @ 4.5 GHz.

DDR3 2400 MHz can give you up to 5 FPS more on Altis compared to DDR3 1600 MHz.

Your GTX 580 with only 512 CUDA cores and it's 1.5 GB vRAM is far from being the one which would give you comfortable FPS.

Better get a GTX 970 or a GTX 780 if low on budget.

And don't forget that since patch 1.14 ArmA III is able to use over 2 GB vRAM.

(20.04.2014)

Patch 1.14

SPOTREP #00021

ENGINE

•VRAM management changed (optimization)

On my res 1680x1050 with everything on Ultra in MP my GTX Titan is always @ 2800-3000 MB vRAM of it's 6000 MB.

Edited by Groove_C

:mad: do i really need to build a whole new system for Arma 3? even people with newer cpus have trouble with this game. i was worried about buying the new card and still not seeing any improvement, but it seems i need new cpu as well which will mean new motherboard and possibly RAM. arma 3 is going to have to buzz off.

:mad: do i really need to build a whole new system for Arma 3? even people with newer cpus have trouble with this game. i was worried about buying the new card and still not seeing any improvement, but it seems i need new cpu as well which will mean new motherboard and possibly RAM. arma 3 is going to have to buzz off.

I can tell you right now that, going from 1866MHz RAM to 2800MHz didn't do anything for me...

I can tell you right now that, going from 1866MHz RAM to 2800MHz didn't do anything for me...

Thanks Massey_sd for your information, i see that you have gtx 970. I'm wondering did it improve your ARMA 3 fps? Im thinking about gtx 980.

A very friendly advice to save you money, don't spend money on a expensive GPUs just for Arma. I went from GTX 570 to GTX 770 and I got the same frames in AI and CPU intensive scenes. When you have 100 AIs fighting each other GPU won't matter.

And regarding RAM upgrade don't do it it will cost you money and the increase in FPS(if any) is not worth it.

Edited by Nikiforos

A very friendly advice to save you money, don't spend money on a expensive GPUs just for Arma. I went from GTX 570 to GTX 770 and I got the same frames in AI and CPU intensive scenes. When you have 100 AIs fighting each other GPU won't matter.

And regarding RAM upgrade don't do it it will cost you money and the increase in FPS(if any) is not worth it.

I still wonder why some get more fps with faster RAM and some not.

There seems to be no pattern.

:confused:

no effect with faster ram?? Thats not my experience. A little bit sad the statements from massey and nikoforos have no additional detail. There are of course a lot of situations were gpu is limiting (less ai, low view- and object distance, AA @ max, crap mp-servers) so faster cpu and/or ram have no effect. Why not the simplest way to qualify the statement and run the altis benchmark? Its 100% cpu/ram limiting because its fly-over-perspective only. The second thing is to make shure the fast ram runs with good timings. I tested and optimized it with a memory benchmark program like sisoft sandra.

A side note: cpu and ram power helps in arma NOT at first to improve average oder maximum fps but MINIMUM fps so 3-4 fps more or less minimum fps is a lot.

Edited by JumpingHubert

So you tell people it's OK to invest 250 euros to buy faster ram for maybe 3 to 4 fps extra? It this the right path? And no guarantees which will make you guys, advising people to buy faster ram, look bad.

Put your money and buy the fastest CPU , that will be my advice to people with some extra cash.

Edited by Nikiforos

So you tell people it's OK to invest 250 euros to buy faster ram for maybe 3 to 4 fps extra? It this the right path? And no guarantees which will make you guys, advising people to buy faster ram, look bad.

Put your money and buy the fastest CPU , that will be my advice to people with some extra cash.

sorry but you have a couple of wrong/hyperbolic things in your statement.

IF you have a fast cpu AND slow ram like 1600er OR no ram THEN it makes sense to invest NOT 250 Euro but 70 Euro for 2400er 8GB ram. What you wrote is a completeley other story...and its 3-4fps minimum fps in the region of 30 to 34 fps. Thats not nothing...or not enough...or a little option or whatever....bla bla blub