Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Hello so I just bought my own Dell Inspiration 3847 brand new, I downloaded Arma 3 after installing my antivirus software and everything in the campaign runs good. It's at 30 FPS with mostly standard settings but I tried going to multiplayer twice and both times the whole thing just stopped and froze when it was still loading the servers! It got to about 1000 servers then it started to lag and eventually froze. I searched for the i8347 and didn't catch any in these forums so I was hoping to get some info. I'm willing to replace any parts inside the computer because I know people that could help me with it but I'd hope you guys here could tell me what I need to be doing!

When I went shopping today I made sure that the desktop could pass the required and even some recommended aspects but maybe it's our old Berlkin internet. I gathered all the info that came with the computer that I know of.

The i8347 comes with Windows 8.1 and I even updated it before downloading arma.

It has 1 TB of space 7200 rpm hard drive

4th Gen Intel core I5 4440 processors

8GB DDR3

3.1GHz cache

And it has the Intel hd integrated graphics

Massey_sd, the 1866er ram is the bottleneck in your system especially in this game.

What RAM do you suggest I get? 2400? 2800?

BTW, 11-13-13-35 is better than 11-14-14-15, right?

The lower the better.

I heard G.SKILL is excellent.

This one?: My mobo supports it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-F3-2800C12D-16GTXDG-Memory-2800MHz-DDR3-RAM/dp/B00DI70C8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412581093&sr=8-1&keywords=g.skill+16gb+2800

Timings: 12-14-14-35.

EDIT: This is 16GTXDG, I need 16GTXD, or, is it the same?

Can't seem to find "F3-2800C12D-16GTXD" on Google, yet, in the QVL of my Mobo, it says that's the one I need. Is it a typo or something? http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-HERO/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO_MEMORY_QVL.pdf

EDIT2: Oh well, in the QVL on the G.SKILL website, the Mobo ASUS Maximus VII Hero is listed, so, it should be fine. http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2800c12d-16gtxdg (QVL -> ASUS -> Z97)

But damn, it is expensive.

Will this be a shitload better for Arma3, and other games, when compared to my current RAM, or, only slightly? Is it worth buying it?

PS: My current RAM is XMP, and so is the one I linked to. Do I have to change it to XMP in my BIOS somewhere? Thought I read something about that.

Edited by Massey_sd

I would get at least 2400MHz G.Skill's.

Mine are: G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX (tightened timings: 10-11-11-28-2T).

Your Bios should usually automatically choose the XMP-Mode, but you could double-check it and if necessary change the settings to XMP.

:)

How big difference in FPS will I see if I upgrade my system from 1600Mhz RAM to 2133MHz? Any ideas?

I would get at least 2400MHz G.Skill's.

Mine are: G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX (tightened timings: 10-11-11-28-2T).

Your Bios should usually automatically choose the XMP-Mode, but you could double-check it and if necessary change the settings to XMP.

Alright, I've settled on these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DI70C8M/ref=s9_simh_se_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=search-desktop-advertising-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=186SJQB9TNTP4CJ9NB6T&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=535022947&pf_rd_i=G.Skill%20F3-2800C12D-16GTXD

Do you think it's worth the upgrade? Going from 1866MHz to 2800MHz.

Will it be noticable? How much FPS gain? For Arma3 and other games.

Is my current RAM that serious of a bottleneck in my rig? Or only slightly?

EDIT, I think I'm gonna order them, then I'll do another benchmark and post it here.

So, if I wanna OC my CPU with Turbo Boost to 4.4GHz, do I need an aftermarket cooler? I'm using the stock cooler at the moment.

This one seems great, and, I don't have to remove the Heat Spreader Fins of the G.SKILL's, as opposed to the Noctua NH-D15, which I first had in mind. http://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-U14S/dp/B00C76WV3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412597601&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+nh-u14s

It's gotten excellent reviews.

I still have Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste lying at home.

Also, when I enable Turbo Boost in BIOS, to make my cpu, i7-4790k run at 4.4GHz, do I have to change anything else?

Edited by Massey_sd

Alright, I've settled on these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DI70C8M/ref=s9_simh_se_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=search-desktop-advertising-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=186SJQB9TNTP4CJ9NB6T&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=535022947&pf_rd_i=G.Skill%20F3-2800C12D-16GTXD

Do you think it's worth the upgrade? Going from 1866MHz to 2800MHz.

Will it be noticable? How much FPS gain? For Arma3 and other games.

Is my current RAM that serious of a bottleneck in my rig? Or only slightly?

EDIT, I think I'm gonna order them, then I'll do another benchmark and post it here.

So, if I wanna OC my CPU with Turbo Boost to 4.4GHz, do I need an aftermarket cooler? I'm using the stock cooler at the moment.

This one seems great, and, I don't have to remove the Heat Spreader Fins of the G.SKILL's, as opposed to the Noctua NH-D15, which I first had in mind. http://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NH-U14S/dp/B00C76WV3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412597601&sr=8-1&keywords=noctua+nh-u14s

It's gotten excellent reviews.

I still have Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste lying at home.

Also, when I enable Turbo Boost in BIOS, to make my cpu, i7-4790k run at 4.4GHz, do I have to change anything else?

You should get at least 5-10fps more (SP) with the RAM.

I would not really OC with the Standard-Heatsink.

I overclock a bit different, as I disabled Core-Parking + increased the multiplicator + changed some BIOS-Settings + increased the Voltages a bit + disabled the HD-Graphics etc.pp.

You should get at least 5-10fps more (SP) with the RAM.

I would not really OC with the Standard-Heatsink.

I overclock a bit different, as I disabled Core-Parking + increased the multiplicator + changed some BIOS-Settings + increased the Voltages a bit + disabled the HD-Graphics etc.pp.

Alright, well, I think I'm gonna leave my CPU as it is, don't really wanna get into all this OC stuff. No idea how to do all that stuff.

Unless of course somebody wants to help me with that.

But I might very well buy the RAM.

@ram

there are several arma3-ram-benchmarks in the www and in this forum. If someone find them :p

The altis bench from helo is a good cpu-(and ram)limiting benchmark because its a flyover (not gpu-heavy).

I bought 2400er ram with good overclocking ability and found a good compromise between timing and clockspeed (there are several programs to test the read/write performance in a minute).

Here I found one bench via google :p http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166512-Arma-3-CPU-vs-RAM-performance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-FPS-gain

There are tons of step-by-step tutorials about overclocking in the www. The two important things are to inform about max temps of the particular hardware you will overclock and the max volts you can give. The rest is tasting and....good cooling.

@Nikoforos

why not 2400er or faster? I think its not much more expensive.

Edited by JumpingHubert

Hmm, I've read that Haswell's can run pretty darn hot with the stock cooler. (I Googled i7-4790k running hot, and got a lot of results...)

I just played some Arma 3, and this is what Core Temp is showing:

35hiirn.png

This seems mighty hot, no? I played for only 5 minutes or so. (Took the screenshot right after I played, and, Alt-Tabbed, with Arma3 still running.)

So, should I buy the Noctua NH-U14S anyhow?

I still have some excellent thermal paste lying at home in a drawer somewhere. (Noctua NT-H1.)

Then I can still decide whether or not I want to OC my CPU.

And now I've read that there 'might' be faulty batches out there...

Crap...

Maybe I should use an excellent aftermarket cooler first, before sending it back...

Do you guys think there's something wrong with this CPU?

Or, try the Noctua NH-U14S air cooler + Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste first?

EDIT:

Alright, I turned off my PC and checked to make sure the stock cooler is mounted properly, which it is.

I ran Core Temp again, right after I got into windows...:

2lwmxy1.png

This cannot be normal, right?

Gonna wait for a reply in here.

If it's really necessary, I'm just gonna contact Intel directly, or the store where I bought it from.

Hmm, now I've read that updating the BIOS might help...

Some Mobo's apparently have the CPU running at too high a voltage or something...?

So, should I update the BIOS first?

Edited by Massey_sd

Thats normal or better to say your temperature depends on the quality of the CPU-cooling. Do you use the boxed cooler which comes with the cpu? If yes i would intense suggest to buy a new one cause the boxed cooler isnt very good, thats a fact. Comparing to coolers from Scythe or Noctua it´s a world. They cooling up to 15°C better, that depoends of course which and how you spread the cooling paste on the cpu befor placing the cooling unit.

By the way: when u didnt disable it in the bios your cpu throttles the clock speed when reaches 80°C

EDIT: just read you use stock cooler. You should follow my suggestion then

Thats normal or better to say your temperature depends on the quality of the CPU-cooling. Do you use the boxed cooler which comes with the cpu? If yes i would intense suggest to buy a new one cause the boxed cooler isnt very good, thats a fact. Comparing to coolers from Scythe or Noctua it´s a world. They cooling up to 15°C better, that depoends of course which and how you spread the cooling paste on the cpu befor placing the cooling unit.

By the way: when u didnt disable it in the bios your cpu throttles the clock speed when reaches 80°C

EDIT: just read you use stock cooler. You should follow my suggestion then

Alright, yes, I think I'm gonna order the Noctua NH-U14S. And use Noctua NT-H1 Cooling paste.

Oh, PS, I just checked my BIOS, and the RAM was running at 1333MHz, changed it to 1866.

Do I have to do anything else to BIOS settings related to RAM? Or is that all.

And the CPU Temp in BIOS was 47°-48°.

Edited by Massey_sd

U need to put the paste as thin as possible on the cpu- use an old creditcard or something like that to spread it on the Heatspreader of the cpu. When installing the new cpu cooler you need to be sure that the cooler is so plain as possible on the cpu to get best results

U need to put the paste as thin as possible on the cpu- use an old creditcard or something like that to spread it on the Heatspreader of the cpu. When installing the new cpu cooler you need to be sure that the cooler is so plain as possible on the cpu to get best results

Thanks, but there is information about applying this paste on the back of the package, I'll just follow that.

EDIT:

Alrighty, just ordered new RAM: G.SKILL TridentX F3-2800C12D-16GTXDG; 16GB (2x8GB), 2800MHz, CL12, 12-14-14-35-2N.

I'll just sell the ones I have now.

I'll benchmark Arma 3 again when it's installed.

Edited by Massey_sd

Quick Question:

Has anyone figured out what the optimal settings for 4K displays is yet? Running a new screen now, and I am pretty sure I have the horsepower, but still want to be sure. Currently using a 3820 with 32gb of RAM, SSD, 2xTitan SLI.

Alrighty, just ordered new RAM: G.SKILL TridentX F3-2800C12D-16GTXDG; 16GB (2x8GB), 2800MHz, CL12, 12-14-14-35-2N.

I'll just sell the ones I have now.

I'll benchmark Arma 3 again when it's installed.

Good, keep us informed about that :)

Quick Question:

Has anyone figured out what the optimal settings for 4K displays is yet? Running a new screen now, and I am pretty sure I have the horsepower, but still want to be sure. Currently using a 3820 with 32gb of RAM, SSD, 2xTitan SLI.

Why dont try pressing Autodetect and see what the Arma Engine thinks about your Horsepower? ^^

wow, very fast ram. That will make a huge difference.

wow, very fast ram. That will make a huge difference.

I hope so. :)

Btw, my mom couldn't find Isopropyl Alcohol; It's for removing the Thermal Paste from my CPU.

Tomorrow she's gonna buy Ethanol from the pharmacy.

Ethanol should be fine as well, no?

BTW, could I use Optical Wipes to clean glasses with? I believe they have some alcohol in them.

Edited by Massey_sd

Your mom? How old are you? Do you have to be at certain age to buy Ethanol ?

Personally I never tested with Ethanol just Isopropyl alcohol.

Edited by Nikiforos

Your mom? How old are you? Do you have to be at certain age to buy Ethanol ?

I can't tomorrow, I'm away for most of the day.

I could go myself today, buy I'm a bit lazy. :) I could of course... Maybe I will.

And my parents had to go to the supermarket today anyhow.

There was no need for me to go with them.

And I don't have a driver's license... Yeah, I know, I keep postponing it.

And I don't know if you have to be at a certain age to buy Ethanol.

Edited by Massey_sd

Hehehe sorry but I'm not the police you don't need to explain everything ;)