Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

@ Messey_sd

Go for a Samsung 840 Evo.

Windows installation +- 10 minutes, Windows starup 13 seconds, much better loading times in games and almost twise the FPS when recording compared to a HDD.

Alright, but I just noticed that the 850 pro is out.

Or is Pro not necessary, and an Evo will sufice.

@ Massey_sd

If money is not an issue for You, than go for 850 Pro. This one holds much longer it's read/write/IOPS befor falling to lower speeds compared to 840 Evo and has more than double lifespan.

FPS while recording with FRAPS @ HDD vs. SSD

I'll have:

CPU: i7 4790k.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 (2x8GB)

Hard Drives:

- SSD Intel 320 series 120 gb (Yes, I know, it's 'only' 3.0GB/s, and my Mobo has 6.0GB/s, will be limited by that, or, do you think it's worth going for a 'Gaming' SSD? If so, which one do you recommend?)

- 2 Hitachi 2TB HD's.

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q.

So basically, the PSU question, and, the SSD Question.

Thanks.

All great choices, I would opt for faster memory (2133) or if those sticks can OC that is fine.

Go with Samsung 256GB 840 or 850 pro.... the EVO uses cheaper flash memory with less durability (Samsung has best flash memory FAB process by far) *I work for Samsung, so maybe I'm biased but numbers don't lie... they are fast enough to almost max out the SATA interface. 256GB will be much faster than the 1xxGB SSDs

That monitor is ridiculously nice, but expensive (I have the Asus 24" 1080p panel @ 144hz) I love it to the point I ditched my Samsung 32" 1440p panel for it.

I would say 750w for P/S, to allow no issues for 2x SLI for another 970 down the road.... If you didn't have the mechanical drives, maybe 650w?

I run 4770k @ 4.4

8GB Corsair Dominator Plat 1866 (OC 2133)

840 pro 256GB

2x 770 SLI 4GB (see about 2.3GB of vram usage at max settings w/ draw of 1600/1200/100)* I use low draw to avoid some CPU bottle-necking

750w

ASUS VG248QE (I would love to get some feedback on the 1440p 27" 144hz panel for ARMA3... I think I would have to sell my Rift DK2 to get my wife to cut a check for the rest of that $799) :(

Alright, so this is what my rig will be:

Computer Case: Thermaltake SHARK VA7000SWA Silver

Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q

PSU: Corsair HX650

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Memory: Corsair 16GB (2X8GB) 1866MHZ CMY16GX3M2A1866C9

Sound Card: Asus Sonar Essence STX II PCI-E

SSD for Windows: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Hard Drives: 2 x 2TB Hitachi

Windows 7 64-bit

Speaker System: Logitech Z5500

Headphones: AKG K701

It should be no problem to run Arma3 on Ultra settings and have great sound, right?

@stang75:

Sadly, the store I'm gonna order this all from (except for the parts which I already have) doesn't sell 2133 for DDR3, only 1600 and 1866. So it's not really an option, and I want to order everything from the same webshop.

EDIT: Well, looking at my cart, it turns out to be more expensive than I thought (Mainly because of the monitor); but, alas, so be it. :)

Edited by Massey_sd

@stang75:

Sadly, the store I'm gonna order this all from (except for the parts which I already have) doesn't sell 2133 for DDR3, only 1600 and 1866. So it's not really an option, and I want to order everything from the same webshop.

Just google the mem kit, most will OC to 2133 if you relax timings :)

Just keep in mind that if you get enough AI going in SP or a slow MP server... there isn't much your GPU can do to give you great FPS.

I would also maybe pick up a cheaper monitor until the prices slide a little for that Asus monitor... it just came out and will be significantly cheaper come Jan-Feb as more G-sync panels come out. If you are worried about $, if not enjoy it....

Just google the mem kit, most will OC to 2133 if you relax timings :)

Just keep in mind that if you get enough AI going in SP or a slow MP server... there isn't much your GPU can do to give you great FPS.

I would also maybe pick up a cheaper monitor until the prices slide a little for that Asus monitor... it just came out and will be significantly cheaper come Jan-Feb as more G-sync panels come out. If you are worried about $, if not enjoy it....

Yes, in all honesty, I could wait for the price to drop; but... It's so tempting. lol :)

Yep... and if you are building it you will likely end up oclocking it... easier to install an h80i or h100i now. So easy these days....

Here is a CPU bench @ Helicopters Showcase (20 seconds flight).

Test configuration

ASUS X99 Deluxe (LGA 2011-v3) - 4x4 GB DDR4 2133 (13-13-13)

ASUS P9X79 (LGA 2011) - 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 (9-9-9)

ASUS Z97-A (LGA 1150) - 2X4 GB DDR3 1600 (9-9-9)

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (AM3+) - 2X4 GB DDR3 1600 (9-9-9)

GTX 780 Ti (875 MHz)

Sandisk Ultra II SSD

1920x1080 @ Ultra (no AA)

Win 8.1 x64

Edited by Groove_C

Windows 7 64-bit

It should be no problem to run Arma3 on Ultra settings and have great sound, right?

@stang75:

EDIT: Well, looking at my cart, it turns out to be more expensive than I thought (Mainly because of the monitor); but, alas, so be it. :)

A 144Hz-Screen + a GTX970 for ARMA-3 ?

Even if you play other games like BF4, then you need at least 2x GTX780-Ti's / 2x GTX780-Ti-GHz-Edition / 2x GTX980 to get >140fps with ultra-quality-settings @1920x1080.

:)

Windows 7 64-bit

@stang75:

Ramspeed is as important as cpu clockspeed (in arma3).

a 4790k @4,9GHZ and 2133er ram gives you roughly similar fps as a 4790k @4,6GHZ and 2600er ram. I would prefer 2400er ram minimum plus a little bit overclocking.

1 GTX970 reaches ~76FPS on BF4 Ultra, with SLI it goes up to 135FPS so Tonschuh´s comment is absolute correct

That's right.

Even with my rig I get "only" ~140-200fps, so it's borderline or just good enough for a 120Hz Screen @1920x1080.

He should go for a cheaper screen and spent the savings on something else.

I will at least wait for another CPU + MoBo-Upgrade, before I even consider a 120/144Hz-Screen.

If ARMA is your main- / only game you play, then it's just a waste to throw so much hardware / money at it.

PS:

The Windows 10 Technical Preview seems to be not faster than Windows-8.1, at least not at this stage.

Windows 7 64-bit

@stang75:

That will rock ARMA 3 and everything else no problems. Always check newegg.com for computer parts. I have built both my rigs from that site AND both times had solid deals, rebates, free shipping, reduced prices for good hardware.

That's right.

If ARMA is your main- / only game you play, then it's just a waste to throw so much hardware / money at it.

It's also for Counter-Strike 1.6, and, other games...

Anyway, my computer is assembled, and, ARMA 3 runs so well. Very happy with my purchase.

There 'IS' is one odd thing though.

When I look at my Windows Experience Index, the first value of my CPU is only 7.8.

I wonder how that is possible...

I expected 7.9 tbh.

PS:

Also....

The PG278Q Monitor comes with a CD.

When I want to install the driver, it searches the Computer for NVIDIA compatible hardware, but, I get the message that no compatible graphics hardware can be found...

How is that possible? I can't install the driver.

Also, when I installed the driver of my Graphics card, using the accompanying cd; I rebooted my PC, and, when I right-clicked on my desktop, I couldn't see the Nvidia control panel in the list, only after I searched online for an update and installed it, it was there.... Oh well, maybe it doesn't mean that much.

Edited by Massey_sd

1.: you shouldnt give not even a minimal fuck to the windowsExperience shit. It´s useless.

2.: usually you dont need to install the "out of the box" driver of the screen, when the GFX is plugged to your screen the GFX install all needed things

3: mostly when you click too fast before the driver is installed its normal that the "NvidiaControlPanel" didnt show up.

Check which Forceware you got installed for your GTX970, optimal forceware is actually the http GeForce 344.16 Driver (WHQL) http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/78216

This driver is specially created for the GTX970&980, only for those (900er Series)

1.: you shouldnt give not even a minimal fuck to the windowsExperience shit. It´s useless.

2.: usually you dont need to install the "out of the box" driver of the screen, when the GFX is plugged to your screen the GFX install all needed things

3: mostly when you click too fast before the driver is installed its normal that the "NvidiaControlPanel" didnt show up.

Check which Forceware you got installed for your GTX970, optimal forceware is actually the http GeForce 344.16 Driver (WHQL) http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/78216

This driver is specially created for the GTX970&980, only for those (900er Series)

Thanks for replying.

Yes, 344.16 is installed.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, 344.16 is installed.

Please do some ARMA-3-Benchmarks and share your outcome with us. Thanks !

Here are my latest numbers: Click

PS: Your WEI-Score for the CPU seems to be a bit odd to me. I score 8.5 with my 3770k @4700MHz under Windows-8.1-Pro-WMC-Update-1-x64.

Please do some ARMA-3-Benchmarks and share your outcome with us. Thanks !

How do I do that? Never done such a thing.

I do know though, when I'm in the "Video" panel, and it auto-detects my best settings (Ultra on virtually everything, except PIP - High; VSYNC - Disabled; I play at 2560x1440 Resolution), I get 49-51 FPS in the menu. (Sometimes it drops to 45, and goes up to 53-54). I've put 'visibility' higher than what Arma3 recommends. Visibility: Overall - 7139; Object - 5688; Shadow - 175.

I've yet to install Fraps.

PS: Your WEI-Score for the CPU seems to be a bit odd to me. I score 8.5 with my 3770k @4700MHz under Windows-8.1-Pro-WMC-Update-1-x64.

Windows 7 goes up to only 7.9.

Oh, I just found this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19801

But how do I use it?

I've put it in my Missions folder, but what now?

Edited by Massey_sd

The integrated FPS counter in Optionsmenu is not very useful when u want to check how your System performs.

I would suggest to use a tool from the web, http://www.fraps.com/ this tool is great for beginners, it shows the Frames, you can record benchmarks and you can take screenshots with this tool. And its for free :)

How do I do that? Never done such a thing.

I do know though, when I'm in the "Video" panel, and it auto-detects my best settings (Ultra on virtually everything, except PIP - High; VSYNC - Disabled; I play at 2560x1440 Resolution), I get 49-51 FPS in the menu. (Sometimes it drops to 45, and goes up to 53-54). I've put 'visibility' higher than what Arma3 recommends. Visibility: Overall - 7139; Object - 5688; Shadow - 175.

I've yet to install Fraps.

Windows 7 goes up to only 7.9.

Oh, I just found this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19801

But how do I use it?

I've put it in my Missions folder, but what now?

If you go to play => scenarios, then you should have the Stratis and Altis Benchmark.

Just run them both with different graphic-quality-settings and after the benchmarks are finished, you will get the average amount of fps for the benchmark.

Maybe your WEI is then ok. I didn't use Windows-7 for a long time.

jiz9dw.png

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

If you go to play => scenarios, then you should have the Stratis and Altis Benchmark.

Just run them both with different graphic-quality-settings and after the benchmarks are finished, you will get the average amount of fps for the benchmark.

Maybe your WEI is then ok. I didn't use Windows-7 for a long time.

Alright, done, for Stratis, the average FPS is 31.

For Altis, 22.

Seems rather low, doesn't it?

Gonna change the 'visibility' to recommended again.

Edited by Massey_sd

I assume that you went with auto-detect, which gave you the ultra-profile and a quite similar outcome.

That shows again that there would be pretty much no gain when opting for more GPU-Power and it seems to be pretty much the same under Windows-7 vs Windows-8.1 vs Windows 10 TP.

A bit of a CPU-OC should give you a bit more fps and should get you closer to my numbers, but you run with slower RAM, so you will be most likely not better.

Edited by TONSCHUH

I assume that you went with auto-detect, which gave you the ultra-profile and a quite similar outcome.

I went with autodetect yes.

The only thing I changed was the 'Visibility' settings, I put them higher than recommended.

Btw, should I apply changes to the Advanced settings in the Arma 3 Launcher? Like CPU Count and ExThreads etc.

Or leave everything to default?

Edited by Massey_sd

As i testetd the starting parameters and how it performs when start with/without parameters i couldnt recognize any significant gain. But you can test for yourself if you wish to do so.

Your results are normal, you shouldnt expect wonders when have a good Pc, fact is that the Engine of Arma doesnt allow it to reach higher values. But everyone has his own hypothesis why Arma runs do damn wrong, even on better systems.

Welcome to Arma anyway ^^