Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Altis Life has a ton of bad programmed scripts (thats what i heard about) you shouldnt expect more frames playing this Life crap.

Then do the usual which should help to gain performance:

*turn down viewdistance/objectdistance

*try to turn down the terran/texture quality

basicly it´s hard to tell, you can only recieve a good result by trying to change settings Ingame and see how it performs. Anyway it´s hard to get good frames in MP, like you can see the devs dont give a piece of crack to solve the problems regarding FPS issues. I didnt see any comment or statement from a dev since 6 months about that...

Just a quick question about a possible upgrade after Christmas. I have right now the i5-2500k @4.4 and I consider a future upgrade to i7-4790k. In the Altis helo benchmark I got now 70 FPS , how many FPS do you think I gain with the upgrade.

I know it's hard to say but I try to find enough reasons to upgrade. Are we talking 2-5 more frames? Or are we talking 5 and above?

After Christmas? And you asking now? Seems legit. I bet you will find some people which will tell you that you will gain 100-200% ^^

I've done all that bullshit and still the same results. I know the devs don't care about the fastest issues, I guess they think we should all buy top quality computers.

I've done all that bullshit and still the same results. I know the devs don't care about the fastest issues, I guess they think we should all buy top quality computers.

This wouldnt change anything. I have an i7 @ 4,4Ghz and 2x770GTX Sli and similiar problems as you have. I would bet that ~85% of all Arma players have issues with frames. Expect such humans which can play this game in low quality or such ones which usually disagree to all

This wouldnt change anything. I have an i7 @ 4,4Ghz and 2x770GTX Sli and similiar problems as you have. I would bet that ~85% of all Arma players have issues with frames. Expect such humans which can play this game in low quality or such ones which usually disagree to all

Are you referring to MP?

I have an i7 also,as mentioned earlier,and my frames are more than fine.

I can drop a very reasonable amount of units on to Altis,have them fight it out,with mods like blastcore,jsrs,and bcombat.And my frames are holding well anove playable.

Although one mans playable level is anothers frustration level-mine is 45 and above.

Im currently running with a mid range 650ti boost and an i7 with hundreds of AI on the most demanding of maps and running smooth.

For all those critiscising performance,i think you need to understand the sheer scope of Arma.Sure the devs COULD focus more on optimization,but considering the size of bohemias team(a few thousand) compared to EAs massive team for example-you need put it in perspective and realise just what it is that this czech developer has given to the community,and accept it for what it is.The community are great,and pull together to release new tools and information about optimizing WITH the help of the devs where its applicable.

I will say this,Arma is the greatest game i have ever played because of ability to mod,sheer authenticity unseen anywhere else,and a dev team who are godanm passionate about their baby,unlike the corparate cockroaches like EA/UBISOFT etc etc etc

So it is my opinion that if one finds this game good enough to play for a few years,forseeable future,it is well worth upgrading your rig.....What else you gona spend your cash on?? Annual releases of BROKENFIELD? CALL OF DOODY? You choose this game and all its glory,so give it the best run you possibly can!

Are you referring to MP?

I can drop a very reasonable amount of units on to Altis,have them fight it out,with mods like blastcore,jsrs,and bcombat.And my frames are holding well anove playable.

Although one mans playable level is anothers frustration level-mine is 45 and above.

Im currently running with a mid range 650ti boost and an i7 with hundreds of AI on the most demanding of maps and running smooth.

For all those critiscising performance,i think you need to understand the sheer scope of Arma.Sure the devs COULD focus more on optimization,but considering the size of bohemias team(a few thousand) compared to EAs massive team for example-you need put it in perspective and realise just what it is that this czech developer has given to the community,and accept it for what it is.The community are great,and pull together to release new tools and information about optimizing WITH the help of the devs where its applicable.

I will say this,Arma is the greatest game i have ever played because of ability to mod,sheer authenticity unseen anywhere else,and a dev team who are godanm passionate about their baby,unlike the corparate cockroaches like EA/UBISOFT etc etc etc

So it is my opinion that if one finds this game good enough to play for a few years,forseeable future,it is well worth upgrading your rig.....What else you gona spend your cash on?? Annual releases of BROKENFIELD? CALL OF DOODY? You choose this game and all its glory,so give it the best run you possibly can!

There is not really a point to upgrade your rig ONLY for the Arma-Series, except if you are trying to play with one of this 200-400 bucks "off-the-shelf" s***-boxes.

BF and COD are at least improving with better hardware or even newer driver's. How much did we gain in Arma-3 since release ?

Oh I forgot, that it is now even worse than when the game was still in a beta stage ...

My rig is hell a lot better than yours and you try to tell me / us that you can run the game better and don't even provide any benchmark numbers ?

How much do they pay you or are you only trying to troll us ?

:j:

First of all-im not trolling, and no one is paying for me to speak my opinion.Be nice if someone could,you know where to find me.I have many opinions.

BF and COD are not the same beast ARMA is,i dont need to tell you life in a shoebox is faster than open terrains with thousands of objects.

As said before,iv tweaked the balls off this game AND my old pc/new pc,to run things as smooth as possible.One such sacrifice was scene complexity,give that a whirl by reducing it.I wont list all tweaks,but have learned alot about making sure arma is the only app consuming the cpu when running,unparked cores,tessted different memory allocators etc etc.

I assume you have done the same,but you have not been successful,oh well.....Not much point in calling me a lier or troll to vent your frustration.Spend the time in more constructive ways,youll get somewhere like that.

Again i play SP only.To anyone reading,you know everyone will churn out different results based on rig/settings/tweaks and most of all patience testing.

Dont be discouraged to invest in something you love to play,simply because some people rage about their misfortune.

First of all-im not trolling, and no one is paying for me to speak my opinion.Be nice if someone could,you know where to find me.I have many opinions.

BF and COD are not the same beast ARMA is,i dont need to tell you life in a shoebox is faster than open terrains with thousands of objects.

As said before,iv tweaked the balls off this game AND my old pc/new pc,to run things as smooth as possible.One such sacrifice was scene complexity,give that a whirl by reducing it.I wont list all tweaks,but have learned alot about making sure arma is the only app consuming the cpu when running,unparked cores,tessted different memory allocators etc etc.

I assume you have done the same,but you have not been successful,oh well.....Not much point in calling me a lier or troll to vent your frustration.Spend the time in more constructive ways,youll get somewhere like that.

Again i play SP only.To anyone reading,you know everyone will churn out different results based on rig/settings/tweaks and most of all patience testing.

Dont be discouraged to invest in something you love to play,simply because some people rage about their misfortune.

From your previous reply it looked like that you were referring to MP numbers:

Are you referring to MP?

I apologize, if you were referring to SP-Numbers.

;)

From your previous reply it looked like that you were referring to MP numbers:

I apologize, if you were referring to SP-Numbers.

;)

No worries

I will play Arma one day in multiplayer.

For now i spend so much time in the editor creating the game I want.

Which is why i love ARMA.

And have dealt with low frames with last cpu,and worked hard to afford a new one,plus learned tonnes about modding/scripting etc.

I create my own missions in editor and always try to find a balance so I never go below 50 FPS when I play. The only reason I go below is when huge explosions happen with BlastCore activated.

I create my own missions in editor and always try to find a balance so I never go below 50 FPS when I play. The only reason I go below is when huge explosions happen with BlastCore activated.

I can relate to that.I can only imagine what next version of blastcore will be like.

i7-4790K is the best CPU you can get for ArmA III

Edited by Groove_C

I can relate to that.I can only imagine what next version of blastcore will be like.

I have unfortunately not enough time for that.

:(

Does anyone have experience playing Arma 3 on a Mac?

I have a Mac Pro with 64GB of Ram, 12GB of VRAM and 12Core Xeon. What would be the better way to play it? using Parallels or Bootcamp? Can somebody tell me if it will be possible to play with a good frame rate?

I tried to play Arma 2 on a Macbook Pro with 16GB of Ram and a Nvidia graphic card with 1GB of VRam but it was impossible to play smoothly.

Is Bohemia not interested in releasing a Mac version? it's because it will be a pain in the ass to do or because they think there is no money in that market?

This is a serious question, please Mac or Windows fans avoid any trolling, I have Apple computers because the type of job I do not because I like to see my wallet empty.

Cheers

Does anyone have experience playing Arma 3 on a Mac?

I have a Mac Pro with 64GB of Ram, 12GB of VRAM and 12Core Xeon. What would be the better way to play it? using Parallels or Bootcamp? Can somebody tell me if it will be possible to play with a good frame rate?

I tried to play Arma 2 on a Macbook Pro with 16GB of Ram and a Nvidia graphic card with 1GB of VRam but it was impossible to play smoothly.

Is Bohemia not interested in releasing a Mac version? it's because it will be a pain in the ass to do or because they think there is no money in that market?

This is a serious question, please Mac or Windows fans avoid any trolling, I have Apple computers because the type of job I do not because I like to see my wallet empty.

Cheers

I'm about to purchase a new iMac and can choose between an i5 or i7. Which is best for Arma 3? I've read that in some cases the i7 can actually cause the frame rate to DROP in some games. I plan to max out the Graphics chip (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5) and run the game in Boot Camp. I'm leaning toward the i7 to help future proof my decision. Cost is not an issue. Thanks!

Hi,

I would like to put together a gaming rig, specifically for Arma 3.

My current rig just doesn't cut it.

First off, budget really is not an issue, although, I do not want to spend way too much either, like the CORE I7 5960X (€950), or the GTX Titan. (~€1000 or more?).

Or, if there is a very big difference in performance, I might actually...

I need a new screen, graphics card, (Perhaps a) PSU (would like to stick to Corsair), CPU, Mobo, and Memory.

I do have my eyes set on the i7 4790k (Socket 1150.)

Can anyone help me out with the rest?

Also, I was thinking on getting a MSI (or EVGA, Asus...) Geforce GTX780 Ti, but the R9 290x seems excellent as well.

Obviously, I would like to run Arma 3 on Ultra settings, basically, as high as possible.

And yes, I might need a new screen as well. Even though I really do like my current screen, a Dell 2209wa.... It's limited to 60 FPS at 1680x1050.

I do prefer 16:10. So suggest a 16:10 screen only please.

ANY advice is welcome!

PS: I'm not planning on OC'ing, never done it...

But, maybe if it's not too difficult, with the right hardware, and with help from people, I might try that...

There are Mobo's designed specifically for OC'ing, right? (I'm a big noob when it comes to OC'ing.)

Oh yes, I might buy an air CPU Cooler if necessary, for instance, the Noctua NH-D15. (Or is there a better one?)

I still have some excellent thermal cooling paste at home: Noctua NT-H1.

I already have an Intel SSD for Windows.

And one more thing...

I have a Corsair HX650 PSU.

Will this be good enough? Otherwise, suggest another one; and, like I said, I would like to stick to Corsair.

I have 2 2TB HD's from Hitachi.

Thank you!

Please, help me out here folks. :)

EDIT: I just thought of something else, even though it's more or less optional: a soundcard.

What about this for the Mobo? Or is there a better Price/performance/value one?

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_maximus_vii_hero_review/15

Or I could go for a DDR4 compatible mobo, and DDR4 Ram... But yeah, it's so much more expensive, + the Mobo, and, the i7 4790k seen in the link below outperformes the i7 5960x and the 4960X

http://www.techspot.com/review/875-intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e/page8.html

(It's about Arma 3 when you scroll down.)

So yeah, I guess I'll go for the i7-4790K than? But what Mobo with a Z97 Chipset? The Asus Maximus VII Hero (Linked to above)? Or, is there a better one?

EDIT:

Will this be fine already? Probably, but what about the rest?

CPU: i7 4790k

Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO DDR3 SOCKET 1150 INTEL® Z97

And what about RAM?

This? http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-pro-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr3-dram-1866mhz-c9-memory-kit-cmy16gx3m2a1866c9b

And the rest? Like screen (although, like I said, I do like my screen), graphics card, PSU?

Edited by Massey_sd

@aldridge

FPS drops while recording with FRAPS or Bandicam are significantly less noticible with an i7 than with an i5.

FPS drops due to Hyper-Threading in ArmA series is a problem of past. So you get some more FPS or atleast equal to i5.

Now you even have a launch parameter "-enableHT" to make use of Hyper-Threading cores in ArmA III. (to use without cpuCount=x launch parameter).

@ Massey_sd

Get a GTX 970 or GTX 980 instead of GTX 780 Ti. More FPS, cheaper, quieter, less heat, less power consumption.

Edited by Groove_C

@aldridge

FPS drops while recording with FRAPS or Bandicam are significantly less noticible with an i7 than with an i5.

FPS drops due to Hyper-Threading in ArmA series is a problem of past. So you get some more FPS or atleast equal to i5.

Now you even have a launch parameter "-enableHT" to make use of Hyper-Threading cores in ArmA III. (to use without cpuCount=x launch parameter).

@ Massey_sd

Get a GTX 970 or GTX 980 instead of GTX 780 Ti. More FPS, cheaper, quieter, less heat, less power consumption.

Once again , GPU make no shit when you have a big AI battle. A GTX 760 and everything above is enough to play this game.

@ Massey_sd

Ok thanks.

Well,, the GTX970 should be fine I guess.

A Belgian webshop which I'm gonna order from has the ASUS and MSI, which one should I get?

EDIT: oh well, I settled on the MSI Card.

Now I need a 16:10 monitor with G-Sync, preferably something like 24". Or perhaps even a bit more (27"), and 144HZ. Any recommendations? And, well, do they even exist? lol.

And like I asked earlier, will my Corsair HX650 PSU be enough?

Yeah, I don't think a 120/144 hz with g-sync exists in the 16:10 format...

I guess I'll have to go for 16:9, like this one: http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Seems excellent, but, quite expensive... But I'll just go for it.

But can please anyone answer this question? Will my HX650W suffice?

I'll have:

CPU: i7 4790k.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 (2x8GB)

Hard Drives:

- SSD Intel 320 series 120 gb (Yes, I know, it's 'only' 3.0GB/s, and my Mobo has 6.0GB/s, will be limited by that, or, do you think it's worth going for a 'Gaming' SSD? If so, which one do you recommend?)

- 2 Hitachi 2TB HD's.

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q.

So basically, the PSU question, and, the SSD Question.

Thanks.

Edited by Massey_sd

@ Massey_sd

For a long time I had my OC'ed GTX Titan 325 W TDP + OC'ed i5 CPU 4.1 GHz with no problems @ Corsair HX620.

So I would say that Corsair HX650 is more than enough for a GTX 970 with initial 145 W TDP.

@ Nikiforos

GTX 760-770 are good enough. But what about people that use 8x AA + PPAA to minimize aliazing on objects' edges + Blastcore for visual fidelity! In this case GTX 760-770 sucks compared to higher speced GPUs.

Edited by Groove_C

@ Massey_sd

For a long time I had my OC'ed GTX Titan 325 W TDP + OC'ed i5 CPU 4.1 GHz with no problems @ Corsair HX620.

So I would say that Corsair HX620 is more than enough for a GTX 970 with initial 145 W TDP.

Ok, thanks. :)

Now the only thing that is left for me to decide, is whether I should go for a 6.0GB/s SSD for Windows.

Yeah, screw it, why not upgrade that as well, when I'm upgrading so many other things. Heh.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Edited by Massey_sd

@ Messey_sd

Go for a Samsung 840 Evo.

Windows installation +- 10 minutes, Windows starup 13 seconds, much better loading times in games and almost twise the FPS when recording compared to a HDD.