Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

@ massman8 ;really? VD, and ObjD only get you 5fps difference? then your system is maxed out? VD and ObjD are the largest FPS differences you can have for ingame,then AA, and that all depends on your Resolution of Display/samples.

Spend the money for a charity thing, paying so much to gain a maximum of 5 frames for a not and propably never will be optimized Game... Cmon dude.. Or did you still hoping they will start to optimize this part of Arma?

I need to laugh always when i see what have priority instantly patching the devbranch (things like the good fatigue or chickens which are able to open your inventory)

Win 7 Home Premium (64bit)

i5 650 3.2ghz (4CPUs)

12gb RAM

GTX 260

I am looking to upgrade GPU with a budget of around $300

If anyone can look at this page for me & make a suggestion i would be very grateful. They all look the same to me & some sites say my GTX 260 is better than some GTX750s?

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products_list.phtml?id=10&bid=5&id2=247

Thanks In Advance.

Finally another Aussie. I get there my parts as well.

The Game was running "ok" / not sooo much "worse" with a GTX670-OC, so a GTX760 should be the choice for your budget.

My GPU-Upgrade-Path (all Gigabyte-Models):

1x GTX670-OC => 2x GTX680-SOC => 2x GTX780-Ti-GHz Edition

:)

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Uh... its still cheap, according to that screenshot EVGA GTX 770 ACX is $405... thats like 280 euros, its more than $300 but its cheaper than in europe.

Imo save a bit more money and get a 770 or r9 280x, 750 isnt really worth it.

As our wages / cost for living / social safenet / pension system / tax system etc.pp. are completely different to Germany, you have to convert it currency wise more like 1:1, which makes plenty things around 60% more expensive (at least).

I moved in 2008 from Germany to Australia and still keep an eye on German things.

:)

Got my eye on a build I think could be pretty good just want some clarification on what kind of performance I will be getting. Anything you think may work better feel free to point out but would like the science of why it will be better not just because you own it. thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.14 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.39 @ Aria PC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£58.79 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£188.74 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.93 @ CCL Computers)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.05 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £720.98

20-25fps in multiplayer. Maybe 30fps, for 2 minutes and then back to 20-25fps.

Glad we could help

Do you think I should bother to invest or are the parts I've chosen not really strong enough to run it smoothly?

No it doesnt makes sense dude, the devs refuse optimization of the engine, means that Arma didnt scale with Frames if you buy stronger hardware. For example the system from my Signature, a good optimized Game with an actual Engineperforms great with my Sli, Arma didnt have such features (only God knows why) it runs really sloppy on potential hardware. It is sucking hard that "we, the players/customers/supporters" need to find an own conclusion why this game didnt like performance, cause the devs wont tell it. And they have a load of work to patch uneccessary things, making good things crap or reviving issues which were solved a year ago and patch it back into the game.

Even a Hexacore PC with 3 R290X GPU´s (i build one for a customer) is struggeling into 20Fps regions and stays there after a while.

My suggestion to you were this: feel free to upgrade your System for other games , but dont do it for Arma, it will slap your face.

Windows 7 x64

1TB HDD [160GB FREE]

120GB SSD [25GB FREE]

AMD Phenom II X4 960T - 3.4 GHz

nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1GB GDDR5)

8GB DDR3

What would be my optimal settings in a typical multiplayer game of, say, I&A or KOTH? Assuming I could even run the game on low, because during the Alpha or Beta or whatever it was, I remember getting absolutely terrible performance.

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated.

Got my eye on a build I think could be pretty good just want some clarification on what kind of performance I will be getting. Anything you think may work better feel free to point out but would like the science of why it will be better not just because you own it. thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.14 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.39 @ Aria PC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£58.79 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£188.74 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.93 @ CCL Computers)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.05 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £720.98

nice components!

My suggestion is to buy 2400er ram instead of 2133er to get more power on the cpu-side in this game.

My second suggestion: buy a more powerful power supply...min 700W.

You will need a powerful cpu to compensate the bad mp-performance (a little bit) you will get on some servers with too much AI and/or bad scripts. On GOOD servers you will get 40-60fps like the EUTW-Servers (on full 30vs30 player only). In small single player scenarios you will get good fps too with this system.

And last but not least...sorry for my bad english :p

So this is my setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

CPU: AMD FX-4100

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270

RAM: 2 sticks of DDR3 4GB

HDD: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive

PSU: XTREME GEAR 600W ATX

I usually try to enjoy Altis Life on Asylum servers, but if I don't have chrome open the best I can get in towns is ~10 fps. With chrome open it usually drops to 3-7 fps. This is with everything as low as possible and very small view distances.

I heard Intel CPUs do a better job with Arma3, so what should I look into getting for a cheapish price since I'd also have to buy a compatible mobo? Just having consistent 20FPS would be fine for me.

Dont know if anyone has heard of this or not but...

CimmieMoreFrames [sic]

...is a registry edit that absolutely works awesome for Arma3. I found it in the Steam forums. The author did note that it won't necessarily help in multiplayer...but might if the server is running it as well. I will attempt try to find it later and add a link. It added at least 20 FPS or more. Awesome.

Edit... it's GimmeMoarFrames [sic]

Edited by SabotAndHeat

@ Bawksed : the "AMD FX-4100" is not the best candidate you can get in order to play Arma3 and yes Intel CPUs are doing a better job.

As you seems to be on a budget, I will suggest you to switch to an i3-4000 and a socket 1150 MoBo.

This advice is based on my own experience. After I have done some experiments with an "Athlon II x2 250" based rig, I have built an "i3-4130" based one after I have read this review [sorry, it's in French] but the pic don't need translation.

I have used this CPU with an GTX 750, 8 Go 1600 and SSD on an ATX MSI Mobo, the results are nearly as good as those from an "i5-2500/HD 6870" rig.

Hey all,

been playing Arma 3 for a while now but every single time I get into a multiplayer server (Wasteland only so far) my FPS plummets from what it easily handles on Singleplayer.

I've tried many 'fixes' but I figured I'd come on here and just get a basic answer. What can I do to make it so my FPS doesn't drop to 5-8 when I'm online?

CPU: AMD FX6300 (6 core at 3.5 GHz)

GFX: GTX 770 4GB

RAM: 16GB

Please don't tell me that my AMD processor is the issue, I don't care if Intel has hyperthreading. A 6 core processor at 3.5 should be able to beat a quad core at 2.9.

If it ACTUALLY is the issue, I would prefer a detailed explanation as to why my investment into a 6 core was a complete waste of money over "AMD sucks"

Thanks guys!

Hey all,

been playing Arma 3 for a while now but every single time I get into a multiplayer server (Wasteland only so far) my FPS plummets from what it easily handles on Singleplayer.

I've tried many 'fixes' but I figured I'd come on here and just get a basic answer. What can I do to make it so my FPS doesn't drop to 5-8 when I'm online?

CPU: AMD FX6300 (6 core at 3.5 GHz)

GFX: GTX 770 4GB

RAM: 16GB

Please don't tell me that my AMD processor is the issue, I don't care if Intel has hyperthreading. A 6 core processor at 3.5 should be able to beat a quad core at 2.9.

If it ACTUALLY is the issue, I would prefer a detailed explanation as to why my investment into a 6 core was a complete waste of money over "AMD sucks"

Thanks guys!

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. First I'd just like to point out that framerate drops in multiplayer are very common; besides playing on a suitable server with an optimized mission (please don't just rely on Wasteland as a benchmark) there's not a great deal that you can do. After overclocking my CPU from 3.6 to 4.5Ghz my framerate almost doubled under certain circumstances in multiplayer, so it may be something you'd like to look into.

I haven't kept up to date with recent processors but the general consensus seems to be that Intel produces superior CPUs, which is down to architecture and/or manufacturing. It's not as plain cut as you may think.

It'd be helpful to know what view distances you're using too. Please post back with any updates!

Edited by MissileMoose

Because Arma uses primarily 1 core. You can have 200 cores, it doesn't change the picture.

And Intels CPUs do more work per Mhz than AMD by quite a big margin. Which is why Intel fairs much better.

The fixes don't work because they do not fix the fact that it is a singlecore game. Only an engine rewrite would do something.

For what its worth, I'd thought I'd chime in. See my Sig for details. I specifically built 2 PCs that were different. 1 AMD and 1 Intel. Both run ArmA3 just great. There is virtually no difference in FR between the two. Turn down your settings makes a huge difference and you will never miss the hi def long range view distance.

@ DropoftheGun : many causes for such issue.

One of them is related to the way Arma* games are managing exchanges between server and client, it's an old story related to the way simulation is played on server and client as well. A 5/10 FPS drop is quite usual.

An other is related to the way the server is hosted ... by a pro or by a guy behind a crappy DSL connection.

A third is related to server parameters, you can play fine in SP with "Visibility" = 2500m, but if the server parameters are set to "Visibility" = 5000m due some fancy pilot diva, you will get a drop!

And of course, your " AMD FX6300" is a part of the problem.

Your investment into a AMD FX6300 (6 core at 3.5 GHz) is not a complete waste of money for you can play Arma3.

The point is that CPU as most of AMD APU and FX CPUs built after the nice Phenom II X4 series is not well fitted to Arma* needs.

Here, you can get a glimpse at CPUs hierarchy related to RV Engine :

arma2-oa-a10-7850k.png

Source : Kaveri : AMD A10-7850K et A10-7700K en test (in French)

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/913-1/kaveri-amd-a10-7850k-a10-7700k-test.html

The main problem being the way AMD CPUs react under heavy load on one single core due to cpu architecture since Bulldozer.

Yeah.

I have a amd phenom ii x6 1055t, but it's only at around 2.8-2.9 ghz, and I over clocked to 3.5ghz eith no volatge changes, and it hardcore overheats :mad:

Even now it hits like 67 c playing arma some times, I have a watercooler as well, not a custom one (not some piping shit)

some generic contained unit.

Sucks, since before it overheated, the OC was keeping my fps more stable during heavy battle.

Can i run it decently on low-medium graphics?

Specs:

Processor Intel® Core i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz

Video Card 1 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Memory 8.1 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit

@ zacvader : I am not at ease with portable rigs config, so I will try to answer with my own frame of reference.

The i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz seems OK, with 4 cores/8 threads able to run @ 3.2 GHz on Turbo.

You can probably play on "Low" using the "Intel HD Graphics 4600" from the i7.

The GT 750M is more or less on par with "AMD HD 7750" level, allowing quality up to "Standard".

The "Quality" level presets you can use in-game will depend upon your screen resolution ...

I am not good at guessing CPU performances ... the only thing I can tell is that I am getting 30/35 FPS in SP on 1680*1050 with an "Intel i3-4130 2cores/4threads @3.4 GHz / GTX 750" on "Very High".

I will suggest you to play at the highest level allowed by your "GT 750M" in windowed mode at a lower resolution than 1920x1080.

Hello, I was wondering if the performance sounds right for my build.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4820k ivy bridge-E

Memory: 16GB corsair Vengance 1600MHZ

GPU: Nvidia GTX780 OC'd to (1206 Core), (6708MHz memory) (+0.037v voltage)

Arma 3 is running from a samsung EVO 840 SSD

Monitor resolution A3 is running at: 4033x1024

average framerate: 30-70FPS

Base settings: Very High (changing my render distance, texture detail, and AA makes no difference in framerate good or bad)

Thanks for the help in advance if you need more info let me know and i'll post what I know!

Is this testing from a server?

If you did this on a server, the numbers for fps are useless for benchmarking.

Ie: (you get this fps on wasteland or a server etc)