Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Just registered here but I've been browsing a lot because I have a very decent rig but can't get this game running smoothly in MP I can in SP but not MP.

So here we go.

I7 4770k

GTX 780 SLI

16GB RAM 1600Mhz

Arma 3 is installed on an 7200RPM HDD

Windows 8.1

Other stuff isn't relevant at all. I like the game but 20 fps in MP? :(

I can get good frames in single player and on servers with not much going on if i have everything on lowest settings or disabled. I am currently looking for a new graphics card, but don't have much experience in building a computer. Also i don' know if that is going to help that much. PS i bought my tower pre-built.

Sys specs:

Windows 8 64bit

Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4CPU's), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7660D

I cant post a link to my comp model because BI forums doesn't let me, but the name of it is: HP Pavilion 500-037c Desktop PC

I think that is all that is needed, just ask if you need more... I honestly don't know too much about the hardware of computers. So please if you reply, have basic English, I am not used to tech talk. THANK YOU :)

Anyway, I am just looking for advice on how to get more than like 15 frames in multiplayer games (especially KOTH)

@Arrow - best to just find some guides on tweaking the graphics settings in game. sadly KOTH is very hard to get decent performance on, try access the player menu and put your view distance right down. Other than that, a general rule of thumb is that AMD cpus aren't very good when it comes to arma, so I wouldn't hold your breath in being able to get a good framerate in MP, (especially KOTH)

on another note, I need some advice re a small upgrade to my system.

current specs

CPU - 4770K @4.2ghz

16gb @ 2133

2x gtx 780's stock

intel 520 series ssd 120gb

500gb raptor hard drive

now I will be changing the CPU to a 4970k as soon as I can, and at the same time I might change to windows 8.1 (thoughts? any benefits for arma?)

Also was thinking of with upgrading the ssd as I need more space, or just buying another 520 series and having them in raid. what would be best?

thanks

now I will be changing the CPU to a 4970k as soon as I can, and at the same time I might change to windows 8.1 (thoughts? any benefits for arma?)

Also was thinking of with upgrading the ssd as I need more space, or just buying another 520 series and having them in raid. what would be best?

Depends what else you use the PC for but for ArmA, I don't think there's any benefit with the i7 over the i5 so you could sell the 4770k and get a 4960k or even 4760k if it's much cheaper, as the 4960k isn't going to be amazingly better.

If you need more space, buying another 520 series and putting it in raid isn't going to help you at all.

What you mean? Im not gonna gain 120gb of space?

OK, if you use RAID 0 you'll have 2x120GB with the data striped across both drives, although you might find there are issues with maintenance (i.e. if one drive fails or gets wiped, the data on the other drive will be useless as well) that make it not worth the trouble as opposed to just using them as separate drives. In RAID 1, it mirrors the data onto both drives, so you'll still only have 120GB.

thanks for clearing up the raid 1 and 0 differences. still I don't see any bad points to raid 0 re the maintenance issue. any hardware can fail at any time, it hardly a reason to not do something (like over clocking for example).

in this link it shows double the performance of read and write when in raid 0 http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/51455-intel-520-240gb-ssd-raid-0-performance-review-3.html

also I do understand that certain things will not give much benefit in games, but theres nothing wrong with making your computer as fast as it can possibly go. if you do 10 tweaks that each give a 1% performance gain, then youll be running 10% better than you were before. and arma being the only game I play, im gonna strive for the best possible performance within a reasonable budget.

@ Arrow9127 : there not much room for a "FPS boost" enhancement on you rig due to the not so good AMD A10-5700 perfs with Arma* engine. Here are some benchmark results made on Arma2:OA, but nevertheless showing relative CPUs hierarchy vs RealVirtuality Engine.

Arma2-OA_i7-4770K_i5-4670K_90.jpg

Source : http://www.hardware.fr/articles/897-21/cpu-jeux-3d-crysis-2-arma-ii-oa.html [be advised article is in French : open at your own risks]

But you can get some more enjoyment in-game playing with better graphic hardwdare. At the moment it seems you are playing on the integrated graphics from the APU, so I suggest you can get a discrete graphic card in order to get better "Quality", a simple HD 7770 or R7 260 will help you to get a "High" level or even the smallest non-OC GTX 750 in order to play in "Very High".

It will also help to diminish computing stress on the CPU, even if the effect on FPS is difficult to quantify.

Form my point of view, if you are experiencing more than 5/10 FPS drop from SP to MP, you must disconnect from any such server.

There are of course MP issues in Arma3, but most of the huge FPS drops on servers are coming from the ways servers are hosted/administered and from the missions/mods played on it and not coming from your hardware.

Edited by OldBear

Hello,

have the following problem:

If I Arma 3 (online) about a half hour games disappear forever so a few textures and it lags extremely. Before that, I have no problems running everything on high settings with 40-50 FPS.

I have a PowerColor Readeon R9 280X TurboDuo and a i5-4570 3:20 Ghz processor. I have no idea what it is

Hello,

have the following problem:

If I Arma 3 (online) about a half hour games disappear forever so a few textures and it lags extremely. Before that, I have no problems running everything on high settings with 40-50 FPS.

I have a PowerColor Readeon R9 280X TurboDuo and a i5-4570 3:20 Ghz processor. I have no idea what it is

I think you will need to be more specific and comprehensive about your issue with the game

How do you think singleplayer will run on this:

i5-4670k @3.4GHz

GTX 760 2GB

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

Samsung 120GB SSD

At 1080p on the lowest AA setting.

I've seen videos of SP running on a system very similar to this averaging around 30fps or something like that. How much of a benefit would I get if I overclocked the CPU to 4GHz?

How do you think singleplayer will run on this:

i5-4670k @3.4GHz

GTX 760 2GB

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64bit

Samsung 120GB SSD

At 1080p on the lowest AA setting.

I've seen videos of SP running on a system very similar to this averaging around 30fps or something like that. How much of a benefit would I get if I overclocked the CPU to 4GHz?

Yes widely.

I have the same configuration except the SSD and my graphic card is the GTX 770 2GB and Win 8.1. I run Arma 3 in ultra settings, 4x AA, distant view 3000 with 60 FPS, 55/60°, 1920*1080. Without bloom and similar effects because I don't like them and sweet fx doesn't work with my shit windows.

My test in SP with these settings: BECTI, Alive mod (with 2000 ai vs 2000 ai, view distance: 1500 and 50 units together), Whole Lotta Altis, M.E.R.C.S and DUWS :)

Yes widely.

I have the same configuration except the SSD and my graphic card is the GTX 770 2GB and Win 8.1. I run Arma 3 in ultra settings, 4x AA, distant view 3000 with 60 FPS, 55/60°, 1920*1080. Without bloom and similar effects because I don't like them and sweet fx doesn't work with my shit windows.

My test in SP with these settings: BECTI, Alive mod (with 2000 ai vs 2000 ai, view distance: 1500 and 50 units together), Whole Lotta Altis, M.E.R.C.S and DUWS :)

And that's how it runs for you WITH overclocking?

No without overclocking. I haven't found it necessary for the moment.

I bought Arma 3 yesterday, but I am not sure if the game will run or not. My specs below:

4 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel i5 3210M

500 GB HDD

OBS: I can run ArmA 2 on medium graphics with acceptable fps

If your MOBO and OS supports it, up your RAM, consider overclocking your CPU if not locked.

Will my system give me 25-30 fps in SP? I only need ~2k view distance on medium settings, with PPAA.

Phenom II x4 965

8 GB DDR3-1600

HD 7790 1 GB

1680x1050 resolution

If your MOBO and OS supports it, up your RAM, consider overclocking your CPU if not locked.

But won't it increase the temperature of my notebook?

Most likley.

If you have a notebook (laptop) computer, I strongly suggest you do not overclock.

Some people are experienced at overclocking laptops/notebooks, but overall it is usually somthing that leads to too much high temperatures and such.

You do not really have a sufficent computer to run it properly, but overclocking is probably just going to mess up your notebook, especially since you live in a place like Brasil, I know it can be very warm there. Just the outside temperature affects laptops alot, that+overclock=ded laptop, and I know how expensive computers are where you live so yeah...

With the Pentium G3258 at just over £50, it's about a third of the cost of the 4670k and apparently overclocks easily to 4.5Ghz. The 4670k seems to reach 4.2Ghz quite easily with a decent air cooler, maybe 4.4Ghz but it seems you have to be lucky or using water-cooling to get much higher than that.

It's only a dual-core but as ArmA doesn't use multi-core fully, I wonder if it will be just as good?

I can only run arma 3 with the lowest possible settings, are there any FPS tweaks I should know of?

@ doveman : I strongly suggest to use an i3-4000 instead of a Pentium, even if Arma3 is known not to be fond of multi-core.

I had experienced strong bottleneck effects during test done on 'my' Minimum config based upon a 2 cores CPU: "Athlon II x2 250/GTS 450".

It seems that optimizations in Arma3 and in Nvidia drivers help to pull down CPU load from 100% to a more playable level, but the load on 2 cores remain high.

On the other hand, during tests I have done with my "i3-4130/HD7770" experimental rig, I found that on this 2 cores/4threads CPU, the 4 threads were used fairly evenly between 60 and 70%.

Of course, the 'Pentium G3258' is a better CPU than the 'Athlon II x2 250', but I think that there are performances limitations in Arma3 while using a 2 cores/2thread CPU.

Edited by OldBear

Most likley.

If you have a notebook (laptop) computer, I strongly suggest you do not overclock.

Some people are experienced at overclocking laptops/notebooks, but overall it is usually somthing that leads to too much high temperatures and such.

You do not really have a sufficent computer to run it properly, but overclocking is probably just going to mess up your notebook, especially since you live in a place like Brasil, I know it can be very warm there. Just the outside temperature affects laptops alot, that+overclock=ded laptop, and I know how expensive computers are where you live so yeah...

Well, I downloaded the game some days ago and I got 35-40 FPS on singleplayer. Multiplayers works well, but sometimes the screen freezes, and I need to Ctrl Alt Del and Log Off, and then Log On again. It only happens on MP, by the way.

Is there any commandline to increase the performance or something like it?

ArmA 3 on lowest graphics is very ugly :(

hello, i have a notebook. the notebook is a Aspire V5-573PG. the specs are:

- windows 8.1 64-bit

- Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6 GHz with turbo Boost up to 2.6 GHz (2 core processor)

- 8 GB DDR3 L Memory

- Nvidia Geforce GT 750M with 4 GB Dedicated VRAM

- 1000GB HDD

i play mostly singleplayer.

could my notebook run ArmA 3 fine in singleplayer ?