Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Well I guess you are right , just buy AVG and everything will be cool.

I just thought you wanted to save some money , but if money is not a problem then go for it.

Thanks, I was just wondering if AVG is all I need, or should I also get a second prog for extra protection.

Thanks, I was just wondering if AVG is all I need, or should I also get a second prog for extra protection.

You only need a always up to date ( automatic anyhow ) antivirus and windows updates in place and you'll be good to go. It's unvise to install more than one AV on the same OS HDD.

While AVG is free the $20 to install it is pretty reasonable as they would charge twice as much if not more around here.

Hi,

I got Radeon HD7850 2GB in my PC rig and thinking to go into AMD crossfire with another video card like this one. Is it make sense with this class of video card? Does ArmA 3 supports dual video cards? Or maybe I should sell it and go for new one much powerfull, ex.: Nvidia GTX 670?

There are lots of free anti-virus programs. Win 7 has Security Essentials installed already I believe and Win 8 has Defender which is not the same Defender as is included in Win 7.

I never understood the difference between anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware and so on… I’m just hoping I don’t have any of it and that Win 8 Defender does its job well :p

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a new computer. I'm pretty much set at getting the following:

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core

Water cooler: Silverstone Tundra TD02

RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 32GB 1600MHz 4x8gb chips

Main HD: Intel® SSD 530 Series 240GB

Now, what graphics card do I get? I'm sort of inbetween a crossfire setup of 2 MSI Radeon R9 290 or 1 Gainward GeForce GTX TITAN BLACK. (I'm most likely just gonna be running a single monitor though)

I read some reviews that said the first GTX Titan wasn't as good as a dual setup for 290's, but this is a new version which seems to be scoring pretty high at certain benchmark websites.. The GTX Titan is about 200$ more expensive than a dual setup of 290's though, but I'm not exactly buying a budget computer, so price doesnt really matter anyway...

Any input?

Edited by TG Stuffed

Hey guys.

I'm looking at buying a new computer. I'm pretty much set at getting the following:

Now, what graphics card do I get? I'm sort of inbetween a crossfire setup of 2 MSI Radeon R9 290 or 1 Gainward GeForce GTX TITAN BLACK. (I'm most likely just gonna be running a single monitor though)

I read some reviews that said the first GTX Titan wasn't as good as a dual setup for 290's, but this is a new version which seems to be scoring pretty high at certain benchmark websites.. The GTX Titan is about 200$ more expensive than a dual setup of 290's though, but I'm not exactly buying a budget computer, so price doesnt really matter anyway...

Any input?

You shouldn't have to ask the question if you're buying a computer of such specifications and if you do have to ask then this is clearly the wrong site to do so.

Only you know what you want to do with your computer and how much you are willing to spend so you're best off googling benchmarks for your desired work assignment by yourself.

You shouldn't have to ask the question if you're buying a computer of such specifications and if you do have to ask then this is clearly the wrong site to do so.

Only you know what you want to do with your computer and how much you are willing to spend so you're best off googling benchmarks for your desired work assignment by yourself.

Well I'm buying a computer to play and record ARMA 3 as well as possible, which is why I'm asking here.. :)

Well I'm buying a computer to play and record ARMA 3 as well as possible, which is why I'm asking here.. :)

I don't believe there are benchmarks for any of your specs and if you want to spend $1100 or $1300 is like ok whatever it's more than $300 so you're probably going to max everything the graphics card does anyways :)

You clearly don’t intend only to ARMA with your computer so whatever you have in mind you can surely google which of your graphics card alternatives would do that the best.

Basically what I’m saying is both your alternatives will probably be as good in ARMA so you should look to what else they can do.

Me I don’t trust crossfiring. So I would go with the one Titan. Except I wouldn’t. I would buy a Wii and some small third-world country.

What sort of monitor are you using anyways?

I don't believe anyone here has too much knowledge about computers above $3000-ish... mostly high-end mainstream gaming machines with cost-efficiency here.

Edited by Sneakson

@ TG Stuffed : as the AMD FX-9590 is not the kind of CPU able to allow the extra high level you can expect for "...due to the disappointing single thread performance of the Piledriver architecture, in-game framerates in some titles tend to lag behind ...", I will suggest to wait a bit for the next Intel generation known as Devil's Canyon upcoming this summer.

If you can't wait an Intel Core i7-4770K will do the job !

On the GPU side of the rig, at the moment an NVIDIA GTX 780Ti is probably offering the best graphic card/driver combo available, no use in here for a GTX Titan.

If your plan is to show to your grand children that you have bought AMD PC gaming "swan song" CPU and the most expensive -but not very useful game wise- GPU, you can stick to your plan.

If you want to play, enjoy ... and record the game have a look to a nicely built "Intel Core i7-4770K / NVidia GTX 780Ti" rig, ... and add some 512GB SSD in lieu of 240GB one !

Hey guys.

Any input?

- Intel-CPU + NVIDIA-GPU would be the better way to go

- if you want to overclock (ARMA-3 performs better with higher CPU-Clocks) and water-cool your CPU, then you should look more at something like this here: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-h3o-240-hfx.html , but make sure that the radiator fits in your case, as it is much thicker than one of the closed-loop ones, or you could go for a large Heatsink-Cooler like this: http://www.thermaltake.com.au/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001646

- SLI / Crossfire / Titan is pretty much a waste of money, IF you only play ARMA-3 (the difference between my previous Gigabyte GTX670-OC-2GB and my 2x Gigabyte GTX680-SOC-2GB in 2-Way-SLI is pretty tiny when playing ARMA-3), but if you do a bit more with your rig and money is no issue, then have a look here: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/25/nvidia-announce-geforce-gtx-titan-z-brings-12gb-vram-for-3000/

- ARMA-3 likes faster RAM and if you go down the Haswell-Path, then 1600MHz-RAM would bottleneck your CPU in general

:bounce3:

yes, haswell cpu/2400er ram and to make shure you have good fps when you are zooming into vegetation and grass with maxed atoc/aa you need a GTX780 or R9 290 (with custom cooling). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-8.html (the only bench with a R9 290 I found)

Edited by JumpingHubert

This is exactly what I meant :p

Unless he's got something specific in mind such as 3D modelling, image/video editing et cetera that's a really dumb computer.

If I remember correctly Titans are actually worse when playing on small monitors than the weaker graphic cards because they’re made for big screens.

More expensive isn’t always better.

I’d question the mobo, CPU, water cooler, memories, SSD and graphics card choice if it’s meant to be a gaming computer.

Hey guys.

Any input?

With 780Ti etc out there, Titans are not a great idea unless you run with multiple monitors or 4K (I've definitely seen over 5GB usage at this point).

I'd avoid Crossfire like the G'damned plague, I briefly owned 2 x 290x (purchased to see if the 'CF is so much better now' jibba jabba was justified after I heard the same nonsense with 7970 CF and was equally disappointed) and I was less than impressed with them.

CF is still inferior to SLI when it comes to multi GPU (although, it has improved - I will give AMD that).

Another check mark in the plus column for AMD was the integrated water cooling on the new 295x2 (I really hope this is a trend for high end video cards).

Anyway, long story short, if you are going multi GPU, go with 780Tis (there will be a 6GB version in June/July iirc, but it will no doubt be about the same price as a Titan and totally unnecessary unless you are playing at a very high res).

Edited by BangTail

Looking for some upgrade advice.

Currently running:

i5 760 @ 3.6Ghz

560ti

4GB DDR3 1333

Would upgrading to something like the following be worth the money in terms of performance. Currently I can run A3 pretty well on medium settings, get around 60fps on SP with most things on Medium and around 2K view distance.

i5 3570K

GTX 760

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Would cost around £450 for the upgrade. How much performance increase would I get? Please help. :)

Looking for some upgrade advice.

Currently running:

i5 760 @ 3.6Ghz

560ti

4GB DDR3 1333

Would upgrading to something like the following be worth the money in terms of performance. Currently I can run A3 pretty well on medium settings, get around 60fps on SP with most things on Medium and around 2K view distance.

i5 3570K

GTX 760

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Would cost around £450 for the upgrade. How much performance increase would I get? Please help. :)

Hey. Why not upgrade to the latest 4670K?

With that and the other upgrades you can check out my signature. All max except view/object distance around 3200 and object/terrain detail standard/high at about 40-60 fps something.

That’s in a small singleplayer mission though. Showcase: Infantry basically. Some of the other showcases are 10 worse and with more and more AI you’re eventually going down to 10-20 fps.

Multiplayer is very different depending on a lot of things such as server or mission though.

I believe it will be a good upgrade in all games… actually check out my signature. I had a comparable CPU, same graphics card and same memories and now I have a 4770K (=4670K) with a 770 (slightly stronger than the 760 and completely worth it if you can afford it, cost-efficiency wise) and 16GB 1600 MHz memories (=8GB, the extra 8GB do nothing AFAIK).

Anyways that’s a good upgrade at a good cost assuming a motherboard is included in the cost. You’re going to need a new motherboard for the new CPU naturally.

Hi,

my english not good sorry.. Ä° have problem.. I have multiplayer servers 20-25fps. Why? All servers fps very low, general problem?

i5 3570k 4.4ghz(o/c)

8gb ddr3 ram,

asus gtx 660 top edition 2gb,

Hi,

my english not good sorry.. Ä° have problem.. I have multiplayer servers 20-25fps. Why? All servers fps very low, general problem?

i5 3570k 4.4ghz(o/c)

8gb ddr3 ram,

asus gtx 660 top edition 2gb,

Yes, it's a general problem. Some servers are better and some missions are better.

Help! I just bought a new PC with Win 7 and an Nvidia GTX 770, but I can't find the Nvidia Control Panel!

On my old PC it could be brought up by simply right-clicking the Desktop, but nothing happens when I do that on my new PC.

I've looked in the Nvidia file on my system but I still can't find a way to open its Control Panel.

Any suggestions? I need the Nvidia Control Panel so I can fine-tune display settings etc, and there's also a magic button in there that I need to kill any picture stretching on certain resolutions.

When the problem will be fixed?

Nobody knows. BIS are working on it. There are some servers that run very well though and there is a big difference between missions.

Help! I just bought a new PC with Win 7 and an Nvidia GTX 770, but I can't find the Nvidia Control Panel!

On my old PC it could be brought up by simply right-clicking the Desktop, but nothing happens when I do that on my new PC.

I've looked in the Nvidia file on my system but I still can't find a way to open its Control Panel.

Any suggestions? I need the Nvidia Control Panel so I can fine-tune display settings etc, and there's also a magic button in there that I need to kill any picture stretching on certain resolutions.

Which driver are you running?

Nvidia Control Panel help

When you right click on start it should display option - system or control panel and the nvidia panel should be accessible there. If it isn't, go windows updates and let it run. You may need to restart after

Download and install (all motherboard bios/driver) and graphics card drivers, maybe?