Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

to 4:

Have you ever heard something about XMP-Profiles ?

What's about latencies ?

Why didn't you mention, that you should have a look about the compatibility of the RAM and the MoBo ?

to 6:

There is no difference in transfer-speeds, seriously ?

WD over Seagate ?

Have you ever realized that you can buy 2 different Seagate Barracuda for an example, which will have the same size and will cost exactly the same, but one will have transfer-speeds of ~80MB/s and the other one has ~130MB/s ?

to 7:

Ever heard of "fossy" Brands, which are very selective when it comes down to Disc-Brands ?

Have you ever experienced, that a LG-Drive will "eat" pretty much every Brand, but a Pioneer-Drive not ?

to 8:

Your advice is seriously dangerous and you should really stop to give any advice at all !

to 9:

What's about the differences in DirectX for an example ?

to 12:

http://i.imgur.com/5KQGP5l.jpg (416 kB) (416 kB)

Also your comment about the "Pro"-DPI is rubbish ...

to Quick-Tip's:

To say that fast RAM would be useless and there is proof that especially ARMA-3 benefits from faster RAM, tells me that you absolutely missed the plot.

PS:

Water-Cooled @4GHz only ? Yeah, you're an absolute Pro ...

:j:

4:

No, I have not heard about XMP profiles.

What do you mean "what is about latencies"?

Ofcourse you should ensure compatibility of all components, maybe I should have mentioned that but the components I mentioned are all compatible together.

6:

What do you mean there is no difference in transfer speeds?

Western Digital over Seagate, yes ;) The Seagate Barracuda is a common alternative to the WD Blue though, I would have mentioned that if I had remembered it! I think they're equal.

Are you talking about RAID? I didn't want to go there in such a meant-to-be-basic guide.

7:

Not heard of "fossy" brands but I'm confident even a layman will be able to locate a perfectly fine DVD on their own though.

Can't understand that sentence... the drive eats brands?

8:

Care to disprove me? ;)

I have actually measured my wattage at the wall using a 4770K, 770, water-cooling and a whole bunch of other stuff that draws some watts including the monitor and everything and it came down to 300W.

9:

What I meant by saying Windows 8 is like Windows 7 99% of the time was when it comes to user experience and I wanted to point out that Windows 8 is not all that bad... some users (including myself before upgrading) seem to think that you spend a lot of time in apps or the start screen in Windows 8 which you don't.

12:

How cute... you have no idea what you are talking about.

World best Counter-Strike players by money won here:

1. f0rest (400 dpi)

2. cArn (400 dpi)

3. dsn (?)

4. NEO (500 dpi)

5. TaZ (400 dpi)

6. RobbaN (400 dpi)

7. Loord (400 dpi)

8. kuben (400 dpi)

9. zonic (?)

10. walle (?)

11. Edward (400 dpi)

12. Zeus (?)

13. GeT_RiGhT (400 dpi)

14. ave (?)

15. HeatoN (?)

16. starix

17. Kapio (?)

18. LUq (?)

20. markeloff (400 dpi)

20. Storm (?)

List order based on December 2013 data and DPI based on July 2012 data:

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/top-100-counter-strike-players-of-all-time-by-prize-money-won/1100-508/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkghPvIh7ZVwdGZ3WXE0dDlTdk5rT1ZKZm91VXVzREE&output=html

Quake ESWC 2010:

Cooller 400 dpi

Cyper 450 dpi

DaHang 800 dpi

Av3k 800 dpi

Bodzo 400 dpi

Fazz 400 dpi

L1nkje 400 dpi

Noctis 800 dpi

Rapha 400 dpi

Stermy 400 dpi

Strenx 800 dpi

http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1907380

Couldn't find any quick SC2 data but I believe 400-2400 is the norm.

And on the water-cooling: I'm currently not overclocked.

Hi guys, I have this system that I use for gaming, but in Arma 3 I get only 20-25 fps, even in single player and I can not figure out why?

Hope that you can help or provide a few tricks?

My Specs

Model : GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3

Chassis : GigaByte Desktop

Mainboard : GigaByte GA-990FXA-UD3

BIOS : Award (OEM) FB 10/13/2011

Total Memory : 32GB DIMM DDR3

Processors

Processor : AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core Processor (4M 8T 4.23GHz, 2.21GHz IMC, 4x 2MB L2, 8MB L3)

Socket/Slot : AM2r2/AM3

Chipset

Memory Controller : AMD F15 (Orochi) CPU HT Hub 2x 2.61GHz (5.23GHz), 2x 16GB DIMM DDR3 1.34GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)

Memory Module : Corsair CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-33-10-5)

Memory Module : Corsair CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-33-10-5)

Video System

Monitor/Panel : NVS NV Surround

(1920x1080)

Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (5CU 960SP SM5.0 1GHz/1.23GHz, 384kB L2, 2GB 6GHz 192-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (960SP 5C 1GHz/1.23GHz, 384kB L2, 2GB 6GHz 192-bit)

Storage Devices

KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (240GB, SATA600, SSD) : 224GB (C:)

Logical Storage Devices

System Reserved : 350MB (NTFS)

Hard Disk (C:) : 223GB (NTFS) @ KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (240GB, SATA600, SSD)

Peripherals

LPC Hub Controller 1 : ATI (AMD) IXP SB600/700/800 SMBUS Controller

LPC Hub Controller 2 : ATI (AMD) SB700/800 LPC host controller

LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8720F

Audio Device : Gigabyte IXP SB600 High Definition Audio Controller

Audio Codec : Realtek Semi High Definition Audio

Audio Device : MSI GK106 HDMI Audio Controller

Audio Codec : nVidia GeForce 6800 [NV40.1]

Serial Port(s) : 1

Disk Controller : Gigabyte SB700/800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

Disk Controller : Gigabyte SB700/800 IDE

Disk Controller : Gigabyte JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller

Disk Controller : Jmicron JMB368 IDE controller

USB Controller 1 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB OHCI0 Controller

USB Controller 2 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB EHCI Controller

USB Controller 3 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB OHCI0 Controller

USB Controller 4 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB EHCI Controller

USB Controller 5 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB OHCI2 Controller

USB Controller 6 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB OHCI0 Controller

USB Controller 7 : Gigabyte SB700/800 USB EHCI Controller

USB Controller 8 : Gigabyte Etron USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller

SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : ATI SB800 SMBus

Network Services

Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet, 1Gbps)

Operating System

Windows System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 6.03.9600

Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index

Current System : 7.6

thanks in advance :)

Michael

Denmark

Try the settings in the older machine in my sig. If that doesn't work try setting everything to the lowest except for shadows which should never be on low because low is slower than the higher settings.

There’s literally a million other things you can do outside of ARMA. Shut down other programs, do a CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE (or CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and turn off unnecessary programs and processes and so on etc.

Edited by Sneakson

FSAA is probably the biggest framerate killer. Why I run 2x FSAA at all times. I see no difference between that and 4x. Not when playing. Then comes View distance and Object distance. After that probably particles (smoke, gunfire, tanks burning, lots of that and the computer crawls on its knees). I assume all particles are done on the CPU which isn't good in a CPU-limited game.

Okay, thanks for all your input, I'll try to fiddle a bit more with it .. :confused:

Will it help much if I buy a GTX 770 or GTX 780 graphics card and put it in my system? Will it get me a high FPS in single player?

Okay, thanks for all your input, I'll try to fiddle a bit more with it .. :confused:

Will it help much if I buy a GTX 770 or GTX 780 graphics card and put it in my system? Will it get me a high FPS in single player?

Nope!

I have arma 2 free and it runs fine on low settings can I run arma 3 here are my specs

Windows 8.1

i5

Intel HD 4000

4g of Ram

DirectX 11

Thanks,

well played sir, well played. then again my arma runs smooth without stutter at 45-70+ fps multiplayer, so you enjoy dem benchmark scores ;D seriously though look into stuff like anti virus exceptions, eset had some problems with arma earlier for example, would be nice to know what system you play on too :D

i got 3145 points in extreme hd btw, might want to see if it runs better without sli/xfire as well, longshot though i suppose

and to the dude in the other post,

with my old 8350@ 4.8ghz i could play multiplayer fairly well with low object and terrain detail, 1k/800/100 view distances, would say it ran around 35fps average in beta multiplayer stratis, tweaks might have been done though not sure :D doubt you'll see any 50 fps multiplayer numbers from that cpu though :/

singelplayer should run way better though so might be some software problems, updated drivers etc?

also if that's a singel 660 it will be too slow for that resolution + aa and very high texture settings most likely

I really dont get it, I cant even get 80 FPS if I lower every setting in this stupid game :-(

nah, you're probably better off upgrading cpu at this point, gpu heavy settings can always be tweaked a lot

I really dont get it, I cant even get 80 FPS if I lower every setting in this stupid game :-(

i'm guessing you talk multiplayer? because some servers does limit view distance serverside for example which might explain it, end of the day im happy if i get 45+ fps in arma which imo is fairly fluid (until you play it with 60+ fps :/ )

FSAA is probably the biggest framerate killer. Why I run 2x FSAA at all times. I see no difference between that and 4x. Not when playing. Then comes View distance and Object distance. After that probably particles (smoke, gunfire, tanks burning, lots of that and the computer crawls on its knees). I assume all particles are done on the CPU which isn't good in a CPU-limited game.

I’m not sure actually! I remember ten years ago when anti-aliasing started appearing in games and back then it meant smooth image and MASSIVE slowdowns. However nowadays there are many different modes of anti-aliasing though and some are better than others. In ARMA3 I can turn FSAA up to x2 or x4 with no slowdown what so ever and not until I turn it to x8 will I start noticing any slowdowns (if I remember correctly). I think everyone should experiment on their own with anti-aliasing. Object distance definitely makes a big difference, view distance less so. Smoke causes massive slowdowns however unfortunately using the lower settings doesn’t make it one bit better.

I’m not sure actually! I remember ten years ago when anti-aliasing started appearing in games and back then it meant smooth image and MASSIVE slowdowns. However nowadays there are many different modes of anti-aliasing though and some are better than others. In ARMA3 I can turn FSAA up to x2 or x4 with no slowdown what so ever and not until I turn it to x8 will I start noticing any slowdowns (if I remember correctly). I think everyone should experiment on their own with anti-aliasing. Object distance definitely makes a big difference, view distance less so. Smoke causes massive slowdowns however unfortunately using the lower settings doesn’t make it one bit better.

FSAA have almost no effect for me, maybe 4-5 FPS from NONE to X8. Everything comes down to view distance. At 500meters draw/object distance the game runs okey....but you cant play with 500meters.

Hi fellas just built this setup and I was wondering if it will run Arma 2 and Arma 3?

NEW CASES - COOLERMASTER K350 Black Case With 12CM Fan

850W PSU - X-VIPER 80+ BRONZE & 14CM Quiet Fan/Modular

INTEL HASWELL CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K - 4 Cores Overclocked @ 4.4Ghz + 6MB CACHE

INTEL HASWELL MOTHERBOARD - ASUS Z87-PRO - USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6 + XFIRE/SLI + WIFI

CPU COOLING - CORSAIR CWCH60 WATER COOLER - NO NEED TO REFILL

RAM - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - PATRIOT VIPER V3 RED Performance/Gaming RAM

MASTER HARD DRIVE - 1TB (1000GB) SATA3 - 6Gb/s, 7200 RPM & 32MB Cache

GRAPHICS CARD (PCI-E) - nVIDIA GeForce GTX770 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready

SOFTWARE - WINDOWS 7 Premium - 64 Bit Inc DVD/Licence

General UseCOOLING - Pack Of 2 x Case Fans Silent & Powerful

Hi fellas just built this setup and I was wondering if it will run Arma 2 and Arma 3?

INTEL HASWELL CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K - 4 Cores Overclocked @ 4.4Ghz + 6MB CACHE

INTEL HASWELL MOTHERBOARD - ASUS Z87-PRO - USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6 + XFIRE/SLI + WIFI

No! But many people will say yes since they think running a game around 30FPS is just fine....

Edited by arotished

No! But many people will say yes since they think running a game around 30FPS is just fine....

if you get 30 fps with that pc in arma 3 you're doing something wrong

I'm still running this on my i7920 and it's doing a pretty good job but I do run an Ssd for w7 64 ....plus extra ssd for other games (Specs are in my sig) it definitely helps to sort the garbage out on your pc like unwanted programs etc, background services, processes, antivirus and firewalls bla bla bla. Generally playing on king of the hill servers right now until the novelty wears off... I've spent years on and off in pure trial and error to get my game just how I want it.... Since arma 1 in fact!! It's not perfect but multiplayer is great I'm getting anything from 30 to 70fps with new nvidia beta drivers... There are very occasionaly( hardly ever) major slowdowns which occur for less than a second like somebody pressed the pause button and back again real quick but only when random players die or somebody connects. Will be upgrading soon to the 4770k and 16gb so be nice to see what issues I'm going to run into as I have no doubt it will be a pain in the butt to optimize again :/ ah well... Sleepless nights here we come :)). Anybody getting good results from 4770k with a 680? I'd like to hear if you do... Thanks...

BLUE.

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot to mention that I have a 120GB SSD too. Will get a couple more SSD's for other games as well.

If you built this PC then surely you would have an idea if it could run it or not.

If you built this PC then surely you would have an idea if it could run it or not.

Just waiting for this rig to arrive via shipment. I will post and let you guys know.;)

Someone way smarter than me helped put these together. I am going to purchase a gaming PC this spring. Will have around $1,500 to spend. Here is one option.

Option 1

CPU Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core $300.98

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing $20.81

Motherboard Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 $69.99

Memory A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $69.99

Storage Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" SSD $122.99

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM $100.00

Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB $682.90

Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $59.99

Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V $44.99

Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) $99.98

Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle w/Optical Mouse

Option 2

i7-4770 + Zotac GTX 780 Ti

MoBo: MSI Z87I AC mITX

Case: CyberPowerPC Zeus MiniITX Case

- Zalman ZM-HPS200 GamingHeadset

- Corsair H60 120mm Liquid Cooling

- Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming KB+M Combo

- Corsair CX600 PSU

Option 3

MoBo: Asus Z87-K

Case: Corsair 300R

Zalman ZM-HPS200 GamingHeadset

- Corsair H60 120mm Liquid Cooling

- Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming KB+M Combo

- Corsair CX600 PSU

Option 4

MoBo: ASRock B85 Fata1ty Killer

Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite/USB3

- free GG Cruiser PC200-I Gaming Headset

- Intel 120mm Liquid CPU Cooling

- iBuyPower "Gaming" KB+M

- OCZ ModXStream 600W PSU

I figured I would ask the Arma community which one looks better from your experience, since I intend to play Arma 3 on this PC. Thanks.

Edited by dc207
Mislabeled Option 4

Anything below 60fps is unacceptable

There is no way to achieve 60fps on any system in coop multiplayer

absolutely pathetic

Anything over 30 FPS is more than acceptable.

I can get it with my "i3-4130/HD 7770" Xperimetal config on SP and MP as well.

So there is some cheap ways to achieve 30fps in coop multiplayer and it's great

Asking for 60fps is absolutely pathetic.

Anything over 30 FPS is more than acceptable.

I can get it with my "i3-4130/HD 7770" Xperimetal config on SP and MP as well.

So there is some cheap ways to achieve 30fps in coop multiplayer and it's great

Asking for 60fps is absolutely pathetic.

How is asking for 60frames absolutely pathetic?

One thing we should absolutely be able to gurantee when playing games is the ability to play it seamlessly, even if on low quality settings.

Lower than 60 FPS makes a massive difference to satisfaction and overall immersion.

i7 4930k 590gtx parameter ultra post process high distance 9443 (general and objects) shadow 200 Multiplayers 58/35fps generally i'm 40/45fps but if there is a lot of explosion, fps down briefly (22fps destruction of tanks 10 at once)

Playing without stuttering perception is achieved in Arma3 over 20 FPS. This limit is of course variable depending on physiological and/or psychological factor. Some people can play the game seamlessly down to 15 FPS other are still perceiving stutter over 25 FPS. Remember that building up an image from what we get on the the screen is mostly a mental process.

One thing I am having experience is that I am playing Arma3 seamlessly, on "High" settings around 30 FPS with a "low cost" rig.

With the "i3-4130/HD 7770" combo I am getting a massive difference to satisfaction and overall immersion from the "Athlon II x2 250/GTS 450" rig I had tested previously here.