Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Off the top of my head I've disabled shadows, clouds and picture in picture. Most everything else is set to standard. Not as pretty as I'd like, but I make do at about 30fps.

^^^Just got pretty much exactly what you have except a gt740 and no ssd. runs at 40 - 50 fps with 1600 vd, standard detail except for HDR which is low, no AA or PP and at 1366x768. With a hundred or so ai duking it out it runs at 25 - 35 fps. Its good enough for me (still an upgrade over my desktop) but I don't know if that's acceptable to you. At 1920 x 1080 it runs at 20 - 30, no ai...

Okay, don't laugh please :)

This is my friends machine. He is a programmer and not really a gamer except FIFA... But we played ArmA 2 together sometimes and he could run it. Dunno what the settings were but he wasn't complaining. I know he can play ArmA 3 but can he play multiplayer? And anyway, what would be the your recommendation for the settings?

Anyway, here is the "machine":

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core @ 3.00GHz (default 2.6GHz, overclocked).

GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 220GT 1GB

Memory: 4.0GB DDR2 800 MHz

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm (4xHDDs total)

Display: 22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW (1650x1050)

Internet Bandwith: Insane.

This game is poorly optimized if optimized at all, definitely not worth anywhere near $60. Don't be suckered into buying an incomplete game.

This game is poorly optimized if optimized at all, definitely not worth anywhere near $60. Don't be suckered into buying an incomplete game.

Not a thread for this. Also, even if it is true for Retail (forget Beta), BIS will fix it.

I've played since Alpha, they've made the same promises since then and still haven't delivered. They're a scumbag company that basically just wants your money upfront if you expect anything to change, which it won't.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

And this thread if I'm not mistaken is called "Will my PC run this," and I gave you your answer. Proving to be one of their usual customers. Pay now, ask questions later. Enjoy your game, sheep.

Maybe you are right. But then ArmA 3 will die and only ppl with insane hardware and bandwith will be able to play. If the game dies, noone is gonna buy the DLC or Expansions. I am guessing BIS will do something to prevent that :)

Maybe you are right. But then ArmA 3 will die and only ppl with insane hardware and bandwith will be able to play. If the game dies, noone is gonna buy the DLC or Expansions. I am guessing BIS will do something to prevent that :)

I thought for sure they would optimize the game... guess I'll wait around and see if they fix the fps issue's or on to another game... great attempt.. would of been a great game...

Okay, don't laugh please :)

This is my friends machine. He is a programmer and not really a gamer except FIFA... But we played ArmA 2 together sometimes and he could run it. Dunno what the settings were but he wasn't complaining. I know he can play ArmA 3 but can he play multiplayer? And anyway, what would be the your recommendation for the settings?

Anyway, here is the "machine":

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core @ 3.00GHz (default 2.6GHz, overclocked).

GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 220GT 1GB

Memory: 4.0GB DDR2 800 MHz

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm (4xHDDs total)

Display: 22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW (1650x1050)

Internet Bandwith: Insane.

It'll start, might run with 500m viewdistance on 800x600 :P, in multiplayer the viewdistances and detail levels are set serverside, so it depends on that.

You could try it at your friends place by logging in with your steam account, or use the family sharing thingy they put in beta, dunno if that last one will work.

So i am just wondering that could i play ARMA 3 with High/Very High (6000m view distance) and stable 50-60fps

my PC specs are:

Windows 7

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 (3.30GHz)

AMD Radeon GPU 7950 HD (3GB VRAM)

8GB RAM

Resolution: 1920x1080

well I guess i can't cause this is arma... but still

Can you explain me why i have shitty ffps when I play arma 3 in MP ?

CPU: Intel Quad core 2.6GHz

GPU: Spphire HD 7950 vapor-X 3go

Memory: 8.0GB DDR3

In any MP game with no latency, i'm around 20-25 fps in "very high" and as same in "Low". When i'm playing with editor in solo i don't see any big freeze...

The problem is your CPU. 2.6GHz just won't cut it. If you want stable 40+ fps in MP - get the latest i5/i7 Haswell and overclock it above 4Ghz mark.

What CPU can you recommend to me ? Because upgrading a pc is very expensive, especiallly for just one game (any other games are running at very high without any fps drop...)

It'll start, might run with 500m viewdistance on 800x600 :P, in multiplayer the viewdistances and detail levels are set serverside, so it depends on that.

You could try it at your friends place by logging in with your steam account, or use the family sharing thingy they put in beta, dunno if that last one will work.

He already bought the game and he is at work and I just downloaded it. I set it all low (except terrain standard) with res 1650x1050 and 80% and without any tweaks. Showcases run great lol. 30 fps. Then I tried lowering the res to what you said and distance but then information on the screen becomes distorted because of the monitor.

What CPU can you recommend to me ? Because upgrading a pc is very expensive, especiallly for just one game (any other games are running at very high without any fps drop...)

Multiplayer runs poorly unless you have a good server with a good mission. upgrading wont help.

In singleplayer a good cpu does help, you could look into overclocking your current cpu

If you get something new, and you're not into overclocking I'd recommend a haswell quad + cheapish motherboard.

The best performance can be had with a 4670K + z87 motherboard, overclocked.

If you're looking for bang/buck the FX6300 is probably best.

but agian, in multiplayer performance is often dictated by the server and the mission.

In any MP game with no latency, i'm around 20-25 fps in "very high" and as same in "Low". When i'm playing with editor in solo i don't see any big freeze...

'Invade & Annex' for example, with 60 players and 100s of AI, will cripple even the most powerful server.

People love to make these super ambitious maps but they really don't understand the limitations of Arma (and current PC hardware).

A lot of people are using shared boxes (which can be running 2 or more servers concurrently) etc that simply cannot run these huge missions properly.

I've done a lot of testing with AHWorld's Invade and Annex (again, as an example) on my server box (a 3930K with 32GB of RAM and RAID0 SSDs) and even with 20 players and lowered AI spawns, the server drops to below 20FPS, especially when you complete objectives and the server respawns the AI.

JM2C

Edited by BangTail

So i am just wondering that could i play ARMA 3 with High/Very High (6000m view distance) and stable 50-60fps

my PC specs are:

Windows 7

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 V2 (3.30GHz)

AMD Radeon GPU 7950 HD (3GB VRAM)

8GB RAM

Resolution: 1920x1080

well I guess i can't cause this is arma... but still

I would say you should be able to run the game on Ultra settings however your view distance will probably be something closer to 3000-4000.

It’s difficult to tell but I think your strong graphics card would mean that you can play the game on the highest graphics settings however higher view distance requires a stronger CPU than what exists today.

You should be able to run the game about as nicely as anyone else though so if you want to buy it don’t worry about it running badly at least in singleplayer as multiplayer works so-so for now.

Most users are having bad multiplayer performance so all you can do is wait for patches howver your CPU is also very weak compared to the rest you've got.

Upgrade it to a 4670K with a Z87 mobo sometime soon.

I have

Phenom 2 x4 3.4 BE

MSI R7770

4 GB

Win8

and game runs well in SP, on high. in MP 15 to barely 20 fps on lowest :(

maybe will be better when official servers start rolling

I have

Phenom 2 x4 3.4 BE

MSI R7770

4 GB

Win8

and game runs well in SP, on high. in MP 15 to barely 20 fps on lowest :(

maybe will be better when official servers start rolling

I don't think there were ever servers run by BI in the history of OFP/Arma so expect only community servers.

I don't think there were ever servers run by BI in the history of OFP/Arma so expect only community servers.

So that's not gonna happen. Well either they optimize the game somehow. Or I play SP for next 5 years until I get 10 core 6.4 proc :)

Hello Arma Community,

I really want to get into Arma, but my PC seems to be too old:

Mainboard : GigaByte GA-870A-USB3

Memory : 4GB DIMM DDR3

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4C 3.21GHz, 2GHz IMC, 4x 512kB L2, 6MB L3)

RAM : 2 x Kingston 9905403-153A00LF 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1120SP 14C 900MHz, 1GB DDR5 4.2GHz 256-bit)

My processor is apparantly too slow. Do reasonable priced CPUs (max. 100€) have enough power for ARMA? Do I need a new graphic card for High-Ultra settings (with a new processor)? Would ARMA benefit from a SDD? Can I build in a SDD in my computer? Do faster RAM increase the performance?

Edit:

AMD FX Series FX-4350 <- This one is not too expensive. Is it a good buy for ARMA?

The AMD FX Series FX-8350 costs additional 60€. Is it worth the more expensive price?

Edited by ProbeEtPylon

Hello Arma Community,

I really want to get into Arma, but my PC seems to be too old:

Mainboard : GigaByte GA-870A-USB3

Memory : 4GB DIMM DDR3

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4C 3.21GHz, 2GHz IMC, 4x 512kB L2, 6MB L3)

RAM : 2 x Kingston 9905403-153A00LF 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1120SP 14C 900MHz, 1GB DDR5 4.2GHz 256-bit)

My processor is apparantly too slow. Do reasonable priced CPUs (max. 100€) have enough power for ARMA? Do I need a new graphic card for High-Ultra settings (with a new processor)? Would ARMA benefit from a SDD? Can I build in a SDD in my computer? Do faster RAM increase the performance?

Edit:

AMD FX Series FX-4350 <- This one is not too expensive. Is it a good buy for ARMA?

The AMD FX Series FX-8350 costs additional 60€. Is it worth the more expensive price?

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3788

latest bios supports the FX6300, which is probably the best choice for that budget (vishera core is a bit faster than bulldozer) This cpu will improve performance, but still doesn't perform close to modern intel cpu's.

If the bad performance is mainly multiplayer upgrading probably wont help much, unless you're playing on a very good server.

you could overclock your cpu for some "free" performance.

Edited by Leon86

Thank you for the advice, Leon. Why do you prefer the 6300 over the 4350? The latter has less cores but more Mhz. Is that not exactly what Arma requires?

you could overclock your cpu for some "free" performance.

Is overclocking difficult or even dangerous for my computer? I certainly can follow instructions like "Click button X in window X" or "run BIOS and change Y settings" but nothing above that.

Thank you for the advice, Leon. Why do you prefer the 6300 over the 4350? The latter has less cores but more Mhz. Is that not exactly what Arma requires?

Is overclocking difficult or even dangerous for my computer? I certainly can follow instructions like "Click button X in window X" or "run BIOS and change Y settings" but nothing above that.

6300 only has 3 "real" cores, anyway, 4350 isn't supported in the bios, and the 6300 performs nicely in battlefield and other games that are nicely multithreaded (which is bound to happen given the 8 cpu cores in the consoles)

For overclocking, if you have a BE (black edition), you only have to change the vcore and multiplier.

If you dont you have to up the blck, this will increase the memory speed and ht bus, so you might have to find those multipliers and lower them.

Anyway, there are plenty tutorials, and it's pretty easy but it takes quite a bit of time.