Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

>>>>>>>>>Reposting in correct forum<<<<<<<<<<<

Hello fellow Arma enthusiasts!

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I didn't see an obvious area to address hardware questions, so my apologies if I missed it, but I'm hoping to get some insight from people more versed in this than me.

I've been playing Arma3 Digital Deluxe on my older system (Core i7 875k, msi R7850 Twin Frozr IV) using a single Acer H233H monitor. I've been able to get decent frame rates (30-60 max) with this set up with most of the settings that impact FPS at high or better if I keep the view distance in check (maybe 2300 or so max). So now, I've ordered a new rig and I'm trying to select an LCD display that will match well with the new system and Arma3. It seems there's been a lot of advancement in the display arena since I last upgraded my that component. Where response time was really the only big concern before, now it seems, in addition to response time, that input lag, panel type (IPS, TFT, TN, etc....) and refresh rate are just as much, if not more important. I've been reading through threads in different forums trying to get a grip on it all and it's apparent that there really is no magic bullet here. I know buying a monitor is really a crap shoot anyway and this is not meant to be a "which monitor is best" post, but more just looking for some insight from Arma gamers that have more experience and a better grasp on this than me.

I don't have my new system yet, so I really don't know how much of a boost in frame rate I can legitimately expect from the new hardware, which makes it difficult to be sure I'm not overbuying on the new monitor (not that that will happen I suppose with only a $200-$300 budget), but also what type of panel would be best suited and whether or not going with a 122Hz or 144Hz model would make any sense. Some reviews of the 122Hz and 144Hz models (Asus/BenQ) that I've read say that if your hardware isn't pushing 120 or 144 FPS, then the higher refresh rates are useless, which makes sense, but others say that it's a world of difference from 60hz no matter what. Then there's the panel type. The higher refresh rate TN panels are supposedly unmatched for gaming, but are pretty bad for general use like reading, web browsing and photo rendering with horrible color reproduction and text that is almost unreadable according to some. It seems lots of people returned these models because they couldn't deal with those issues. Then there's the IPS complaints of backlight edge bleeding to the point on some models that it overwhelms dark scenes and makes gaming almost impossible with dark scenes. As I use my one and only computer for more than just gaming, I'm finding it difficult to find the right balance between awesome gaming graphics and everyday use. I really hate to sacrifice either. So, any input on what display you use, how you use it and what you like and don't like about it would be much appreciated.

Here are the specs on the new rig. Going with single GPU for now, but expect to add 2nd vid card for SLI down the road. That said, any idea what kind of FPS I can reasonable expect with Arma3 from this set up?

:cc:

Corsair Obsidian 550D

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Expect to overclock to 4.0GHz - 4.4GHz)

ASUS Sabertooth Z87

16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX

750W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold Rated

1x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series

1x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series

1x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Edition

1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator w/2x Corsair SP120mm High Performance Fans

2x Corsair SP120mm High Performance Case Fans (Front Intake)

2x Corsair AF120mm High Performance Case Fans (Bottom Intake & Rear Exhaust)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Thanks for reading my long winded post. I hope to hear some valuable feedback from you hardcore Arma vets!

Edited by PurePassion
Moved :) Please search before posting!

@GoPr0ne:

A balanced about $2400 build.

Doesn't seem to be much missing in your screen really. An upgrade to a nice LED-backlit IPS should remove the copious backlight bleed you're probably experience and improve viewing angles but nothing else.

Naturally only YOU can decide your budget though. Internal computer parts are objective, but chassis, monitor, audio and controls are subjective.

Check out the HP ZR2440w. Not sure if it’s the absolute best today but it should be very close. At a cost of about $355 then so naturally not the best in the $1500 class.

Great image straight away, great adjustability, great image adjustability, attractive design thoroughly and a great OSD. If you want 16:10.

I’m currently doing some light research on good 16:10 monitors around that price point and Dell Ultrasharp 24†U-something is another very popular choice but I don’t like the silvery design.

EIZO FLEXSCAN EV2436W is white.

There are tons depending on what you want.

I’m considering going 16:9 though… and doing some more research about that sometime.

Hey guys, I am currently using my HP Envy dv7 7300 series notebook with a core i7 GT 635m video card and 1TB. It seems fine running ARMA but want a dedicated desktop. I have been looking into many options but want some opinions on which way to proceed. I have been looking at CyberPowerPC ZEUS EVO Thunder 3000, Alienware Aurora and a few others. I want to run at least 2 displays. I am not sure of the liquid cooling option as well. Any and all input would be great. :confused: Thanks Guys...

@GoPr0ne

nice specs :) you will see improvement with the new rig but it will not be as profound as say coming from and old dual core AMD, as for monitors I pretty much stick with samsung and look for the quickest response time the highest rez and the one with the richest color (samsung) that being said i have not used my monitor in years ever since i bought my 1080p 46 inch TV that has been my monitor :)

@[ACR]MasterBlaster give us a price point and as for cyberpower i do not like there PSU's so unless they have changed I would go with them as for alienware they have always been a bit pricey add to this fact that Dell bought them does not really inspire confidence.

but like i said give us a price point and the people here give advice :)

Thanks for the feedback and yeah, being that dell bought them out doesn't sit well with me either. With that being said, I can get a better bang for my buck elsewhere. My budget is 2000 -2500 $.

MasterBlaster;2457026']Hey guys' date=' I am currently using my HP Envy dv7 7300 series notebook with a core i7 GT 635m video card and 1TB. It seems fine running ARMA but want a dedicated desktop. I have been looking into many options but want some opinions on which way to proceed. I have been looking at CyberPowerPC ZEUS EVO Thunder 3000, Alienware Aurora and a few others. I want to run at least 2 displays. I am not sure of the liquid cooling option as well. Any and all input would be great. :confused: Thanks Guys...[/quote']

That Alienware in particular only seems to come with 600-series cards.

CyberpowerPC have more new components. Anyways I wonder what happens if you ask them to overclock a 4670k by 30% haha...That Alienware in particular only seems to come with 600-series cards.

CyberpowerPC have more new components. Anyways I wonder what happens if you ask them to overclock a 4670k by 30% haha... without the right cooling it’s gonna fry hard. However their 18 dbA water cooling that supposedly handles it only seems to cost $70 extra though it’s difficult to tell what the total costs since everything only says relative costs hm.

Anyways there’s probably lots of nice things to get there but to really get the most out of it you would have to go somewhere people know every component offered on their site so they can tell you what’s bullshit.

They sell so much shit like voltage stabilizers that I never even knew you could buy. And that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone ever. I agree their power supply units aren’t too eye-catching but Corsair TX750 should be okay and I dunno but Thermaltake can’t be all bad. Corsair CX non-M I hear isn’t too nice though.

At $2660 shipped I could make something nice there. Without really going too much into all parts and it could probably go down to £2500...

Doesn't seem you can link to configs so here:

CAS: NZXT Phantom 820 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 2x 200mm fan, Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0 & Advanced Hue Lighting System [+111]

CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)

COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified) [-106]

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ XSPC Rasa 750 RS240, Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)(All Venom OC Certified)

FREEBIE_VC: Free Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist Game Coupon [+0]

HDD: 250 GB SAMSUNG 840 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 250MB/s Write [+121] (Single Drive)

HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [-18] (Single Drive)

KEYBOARD1: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Razer Cyclosa Gaming Keyboard & Abyssus Gaming Mouse [+0]

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-59] (Corsair Vengeance [+16])

MONITOR: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD [+157]

MONITOR2: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD [+157]

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, 7.1 Sound Blaster Cinema Audio, Killer E2205 GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe x16 & 4 PCIe x1 (Extreme OC Certified) [+87]

OVERCLOCK: Ultimate OC (Ultimate Overclock 30% or more) [+50]

POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 850W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply [+38]

RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SPEAKERS: Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System [+225]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooling)

Case is A, CPU is A, cooling I really dunno about which ones are best or cheapest and if some other option offers extreme overclocking at higher volume because the other parts of the computer are probably gonna sound anyways.

Could probably also go cheaper without that 30% extra overclocking.

It’s really hard to tell how everything will work in terms of temperature when using CyberpowerPC. I mean “All Venom OC Certifiedâ€, what does that mean really? Does it keep the CPU below 100 degrees Celsius? Maybe 80? And I’d also read through the warranty about overclocking carefully. There does seem to be some extra warranty option for overclocking but I wonder what happens if you chose a pre-overclocked CPU… no warranty despite not having touched the thing?

HDD and SSD are both A quality. I only selected a free mouse and free keyboard because I dunno what you want there and it’s pretty subjective. SteelSeries 6Gv2 should rock though. Didn’t see any super-reliable mouse… the DeathAdder is popular though. Oh wait, they DO have the Sensei! Even the Raw Rubberized. Solid.

When it comes to monitors I was sad. Only one 24†which is what I could recommend.

Motherboard is A… Power supply unit I’m not so sure but they really don’t have a lot of high quality ones until you hit nearly 1000 watts. The SP2500 are supposedly great non-surround speakers. Aaand the 770 is nice. Not the absolute best I think but there also aren’t any bad third-party 770s either.

What I’m not sure about is cooling, monitors and power supply and you should probably ditch the extra overclock which I put in there mostly to see how it would cost and maybe go for cheaper cooling and cheaper motherboard. If you know already you won’t be overclocking at all something extra might be saved off here and there too.

I’d recommend buying from them at a final cost of about £2300 and then buying a couple of monitors from somewhere else. Remember that both monitor, mouse and keyboard are all stuff you just plug in the back and don’t need any skills whatsoever to use.

I'm not sure if the monitors are good though. Haven't looked them up. They could be.

I've ordered a new rig and I'm trying to select an LCD display that will match well with the new system and Arma3. It seems there's been a lot of advancement in the display arena since I last upgraded my that component. Where response time was really the only big concern before, now it seems, in addition to response time, that input lag, panel type (IPS, TFT, TN, etc....) and refresh rate are just as much, if not more important.

I am using a 42" 4.5ms tv as a monitor (details in sig), I dropped my 27" for the want of a larger screen;), so thats why I bought this. Had my reservations at first, saw lots of writing on forums online that tv’s were not as good as a dedicated monitor etc. Believe me there is little to no difference, if you play 1920 x 1080 on a monitor then change to the same 1920x1080p tv, it just looks bigger, quality is great and I sit pretty close to mine, around 6ft away, so it fills a lot of my view, which is really what I wanted.

I was thinking about a three screen option before this, but didn’t fancy the screen breaks.

Hope you find what you are looking for.:)

By the way MSI Z87-G43 has previously slipped my attention. Currently investigating if it's a worthwhile purchase for players with no plans for SLI to save $50 over the G45 :)

When googling I see some pretty clueless people buying the GD65 currently at $70 above the G45 in Sweden and there’s the whole G43, G45, GD65, MPower, MPower Max and XPower spectrum but I haven’t found much evidence that anyone other than enthusiast overclockers would need more than G45 right now and G43 supposedly isn’t much worse at all other than not supporting SLI.

Anyways.

MasterBlaster;2457185']Thanks for the feedback and yeah' date=' being that dell bought them out doesn't sit well with me either. With that being said, I can get a better bang for my buck elsewhere. My budget is 2000 -2500 $.[/quote']

buckle up kids...here we GO!

ok..so you have 2k to 2.5 :) (i wish i had that much) here is what i would buy for that amount :)

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics $239.99

now the first question people will as is why not the 4770 for future proofing and all that..well I was reading that the new consoles have 8 cores but also read that they will not write games to use all 8 most likely 4 the rest will be for background activities. now if you have a reason beyond gaming for needing the 4770 then the 4770 is the logical choice.

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $219.99

At $209.99 at the time of writing, the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO is not only an extremely aggressively priced ROG motherboard, but just an aggressively priced motherboard in general. You've got all those goodies that you love to see from the ROG series without all the extra fluff that carries with it added price.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5591/asus-maximus-vi-hero-intel-z87-motherboard-review/index12.html

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100352VXSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $309.99

for me the 7950 is the sweet spot between performance and cost :) 3GB of ram 384bit interface and good clock along with being OC'able , of course this is open to debate so please add recommendations :)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $71.99

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $239.99

according to reviews Samsung is the best show in town when it comes to SSD's

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $64.99

no frills storage drive

SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $229.99

this is the best of the best :)

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001RD Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case $119.99

strong case well ventilated ready for water :) comes in different colors

Corsair Vengeance K70 CH-9000011-NA Black USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard $119.99

mechanical keyboard

Corsair Vengeance M65 Laser FPS Gaming Mouse CH-9000022-NA Gunmetal Black 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 8200 dpi Mouse $69.99

Logitech Z506 75 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers $89.99

wireless would be a nice option but that get expensive :)

SAMSUNG S27C230B Glossy Black 27" 5ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 Mega Infinite DCR (1000:1) $299.99

Now as I stated earlier i use my 46 inch TV now so it might not hurt to looking into that option as it serves a dual purpose as well.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM $59.99

well there it is a complete rig for $2236 :)

p.s after market cooling was left out as i have read there are some compatibility issues (1150) with the some of the standard water cooling products.

Edited by ric

How well and on what settings could I run ArmA 3 with this pc?

AMD FX 4100 quad core 3.6 Ghz

Gtx 560 Ti

8 GB RAM I think

@ric, Ezcoo: Didn't he say he wanted at least two monitors?

And yes, nearly any non-TN screen is recommended for image quality and if you go TN you go 120 Hz.

@rib:

An i5 absolutely. 4670k or 3570k for a Z87 or Z77 build respectively. I’ve also heard about Sandy Bridge Extreme and that they may be both cheaper and better than 4th gen though I don’t think they’re out just yet.

Z87 Motherboards ASUS and MSI dominate pretty much. Gigabyte also has some. ASUS has lots of Z87-name cards and the Maximus VI Hero which actually is a bit on the expensive side though I don’t know what useful (or useless) features it has. MSI has G43, G45 (SLI, better audio, better network, Smart Response), GD65 (Dual BIOS, more SATA). ASRock have Z87 Extreme4, dunno what Gigabytes best is because their names are all the same.

Dunno much about AMD cards.

Are the Ripjaws better or cheaper than Vengeance? I hear about them every now and then but in Sweden Vengeance memories are masters.

840 or 840 Evo (release mid-august) instead of 840 Pro I’d say because the only significant difference is life length which is ten years of heavy use anyways and there’s a price difference.

WD Blue indeed.

1000W sounds overkill like shit for someone who probably only needs 500-600W actually… I haven’t looked over this entire build now and all but the SeaSonic G Series 550W Gold (Newegg $80) should be enough for anyone who wants quality but doesn’t need all watt.

In MY case 550W Gold vs 750W Gold is only a $45 difference but 550W vs 1000W on Newegg is a $150 difference for no difference in efficiency. Anyways I’m not gonna calculate if 550W (remember Gold can probably handle more than what the box says) is enough right now because it’s sunny.

NZXT Phantoms are delicious. Way too big for me though.

Mouse and keyboard is often up to taste. May have to show him a bunch.

Logitech Z506 is probably the cheapest 5.1 you can get or close to it though I’m not sure how they sound really. $90 is very cheap for a 5.1 system. Personally I’m currently looking at Bose Companion 2 Series III ($136 in Sweden), Corsair SP2500 ($242 I think) and AudioEngine 5+.

60 HZ TN Glossy screen? Nuh uh.

Also was all of that available on the site? Until further notice I’m not sure if he is a builder because otherwise I’m not sure why he would order from a site like Alienware/CyberpowerPC at all.

Going outside!

How well and on what settings could I run ArmA 3 with this pc?

AMD FX 4100 quad core 3.6 Ghz

Gtx 560 Ti

8 GB RAM I think

And you sir will run the game on medium-high settings somewhere.

@ric, Ezcoo: Didn't he say he wanted at least two monitors?

And yes, nearly any non-TN screen is recommended for image quality and if you go TN you go 120 Hz.

oops..forgot about second monitor ...but as i said i play on a 60hz 1080P tv and have zero problems :) so while 120 has twice the refresh rate i think that %90 of the time it will not be noticed especially in A3 where people have trouble getting to 60FPS. and if i had to buy something in 120 range it would be a TV like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253335

@ric:

An i5 absolutely. 4670k or 3570k for a Z87 or Z77 build respectively. I’ve also heard about Sandy Bridge Extreme and that they may be both cheaper and better than 4th gen though I don’t think they’re out just yet.

Z87 Motherboards ASUS and MSI dominate pretty much. Gigabyte also has some. ASUS has lots of Z87-name cards and the Maximus VI Hero which actually is a bit on the expensive side though I don’t know what useful (or useless) features it has. MSI has G43, G45 (SLI, better audio, better network, Smart Response), GD65 (Dual BIOS, more SATA). ASRock have Z87 Extreme4, dunno what Gigabytes best is because their names are all the same.

I have never dealt with MSI simple because over the years i have not heard great things about them so as a rule i stick with Gigabyte,ASrock and ASUS, as for the hero MB the review said you get all the power with out all the fluff (crap you wont use) even though there are boards that may be better the hero is still a solid choice :)

Dunno much about AMD cards.

look it up when you get a chance you will find it is a very nice card :)

Are the Ripjaws better or cheaper than Vengeance? I hear about them every now and then but in Sweden Vengeance memories are masters.

I cant answer that but when i see over 1700 reviews and 5 stars i figure you cant go wrong :)

840 or 840 Evo (release mid-august) instead of 840 Pro I’d say because the only significant difference is life length which is ten years of heavy use anyways and there’s a price difference.

I chose the pro because it has almost twice the amount of 4KB Random Write IOPS and twice the amount of Sustained Sequential Write's VS the non pro series

1000W sounds overkill like shit for someone who probably only needs 500-600W actually… I haven’t looked over this entire build now and all but the SeaSonic G Series 550W Gold (Newegg $80) should be enough for anyone who wants quality but doesn’t need all watt.

In MY case 550W Gold vs 750W Gold is only a $45 difference but 550W vs 1000W on Newegg is a $150 difference for no difference in efficiency. Anyways I’m not gonna calculate if 550W (remember Gold can probably handle more than what the box says) is enough right now because it’s sunny.

while i agree with you on practicality I will also say that if i am spending over 2K on a rig i expect i will be using it for 5 years and as such I will ""try"" to future proof as much as i can because in 4 years i have no idea what kind of upgrade i might do and what kind of watt sucking monster video card i might buy :) also there is is the resale factor...suppose in 3-4 years i decide todo a ground up build it does not hurt to have major name brand PSU top of the line series to help me sell the rig.

Logitech Z506 is probably the cheapest 5.1 you can get or close to it though I’m not sure how they sound really. $90 is very cheap for a 5.1 system. Personally I’m currently looking at Bose Companion 2 Series III ($136 in Sweden), Corsair SP2500 ($242 I think) and AudioEngine 5+.

Z506 is an entry level setup but I believe it will sufficient for his needs and if he wants something better it is best to go to the store and listen to all the different options to see what truly fits his needs.

Also was all of that available on the site? Until further notice I’m not sure if he is a builder because otherwise I’m not sure why he would order from a site like Alienware/CyberpowerPC at all.

to be honest i went to the alienware site and looked up his selection and all i saw was "alienware approved 850W" ...when they substitute "approved" for the actual manufacturer i tend to think there hiding something :( now if he has never built a rig before it can be a daunting task but there are a ton of sites and youtube videos that can help you through it.

which is what my squad mate is doing right now....he has a cyberpower PC he bought and is not real happy as he thought he had a quad core but it turns out it was the i5 661 (dualcore with HT) and 1156 ontop of that :( he was going to reuse his PSU till i told him to look up reviews on it...what he found was nothing but negative reviews so now he has decided to build his own :)

How well and on what settings could I run ArmA 3 with this 'pc'?

i3 3110m 2.4 Ghz

GT 645m 2GB

4 GB RAM

How well and on what settings could I run ArmA 3 with this 'pc'?

i3 3110m 2.4 Ghz

GT 645m 2GB

4 GB RAM

a mix of low and medium depending on resolution.

Hello everyone,

So, I enjoy coop gameplay & prefer a light effective rig.

***Just wanted to know what the community is using? (prefer no backpack if possible)

:yay:

i5 650 @3.2 Ghz

4GB DDR 3 Ram

ATI HD 6570 2GB

Can run Arma 2 without any problems.....I have heard that Arma 3 runs better than Arma 2, which I find very unlikely.

So can I run Arma 3 at least on medium? And if so, does it look better than Arma 2 on these settings?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Eraser74

Okay, so I'd first off like to say that I registered for the purpose of using this thread. Hopefully I'll stick around some more.

But anyways, I just bought a new computer because my old one was kind of being too slow for the tasks I needed it to perform (mostly school stuff, so as such it's not the gaming supercomputer that apparently is needed for Arma but rather an average system that I got for $600), and I'd like to see what settings (if?) I can run Arma 3 on:

i7-4770 processor @ 3.9 GHz (at least that's what the website said; I've read elsewhere that it's around 3.3 GHz, so I'm not sure)

8GB DDR3 RAM

GeForce GTX 645 1GB GDDR5 video card

If you need any other info, it's a Dell XPS 8700 that I chose the GTX 645 option for.

Hi, just bought Arma 3 Beta today on Steam, have a pretty good system, I7-E 3960X @ 4.6 GHz, 16GB ram SSD's, Win 7 64 bit, Vid card is currently an Nvidea GTX 680 2GB driving a Dell U3011 LCD @ 2560 x 1600, would a GTX 780 3 GB be a worthwhile upgrade? (I have no intention of buying the Titan) I had planned to skip this gen of card and see what Nvidea came up with in 2014 as the only other main sims I use are FSX, RoF and DCS and none of them will really benefit from an upgrade to a 780 ... I guess what I'm asking is, is Arma 3 CPU or GPU biased?

Thanks.

Just as feedback, bought a 3GB EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked ACX card today, even at 2560 x 1600 res I dont think i need it, but I struggle a bit in Crysis 3, as a PC hardware geek it will be nice to have too.

Cheers.

i5 650 @3.2 Ghz

4GB DDR 3 Ram

ATI HD 6570 2GB

Can run Arma 2 without any problems.....I have heard that Arma 3 runs better than Arma 2, which I find very unlikely.

So can I run Arma 3 at least on medium? And if so, does it look better than Arma 2 on these settings?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, something like medium-higher-mix settings.

Okay, so I'd first off like to say that I registered for the purpose of using this thread. Hopefully I'll stick around some more.

But anyways, I just bought a new computer because my old one was kind of being too slow for the tasks I needed it to perform (mostly school stuff, so as such it's not the gaming supercomputer that apparently is needed for Arma but rather an average system that I got for $600), and I'd like to see what settings (if?) I can run Arma 3 on:

i7-4770 processor @ 3.9 GHz (at least that's what the website said; I've read elsewhere that it's around 3.3 GHz, so I'm not sure)

8GB DDR3 RAM

GeForce GTX 645 1GB GDDR5 video card

If you need any other info, it's a Dell XPS 8700 that I chose the GTX 645 option for.

I7-4770K, one of the strongest CPUs aaand a 2011 graphics card I've never even heard of!

It will run the game. However not only is the 4770K so strong that $4800 worth of the best graphics cards around will still hold it back so your graphics card will most certainly be the big restraint but it’s also the i7 which is made to do serious 3D and video editing. So yeah lol.

You should have spent $150 less on CPU and at least $300 on a graphics card and not whatever small amount I guess you paid for that card which is weak, weak.

Don’t worry though. It will run but on what settings I have absolutely no idea and if it is inadequate all you need is a new graphics card.

8GB DDR RAM is nice.

Some other relevant information may also be your screen resolution and power supply unit wattage.

Or rather what are the complete specs of that system and what did it cost?

It’s so strange to me. I think you’ve bought a work computer and not one meant for playing games at all.

Was probably nicely priced though.

And to clarify the 4770K isn't worse at playing games than any other 4th gen CPU however a $150 cheaper one is just as good at playing games but not various other work.

Edited by Sneakson

I7-4770K, one of the strongest CPUs aaand a 2011 graphics card I've never even heard of!

It will run the game. However not only is the 4770K so strong that $4800 worth of the best graphics cards around will still hold it back so your graphics card will most certainly be the big restraint but it’s also the i7 which is made to do serious 3D and video editing. So yeah lol.

You should have spent $150 less on CPU and at least $300 on a graphics card and not whatever small amount I guess you paid for that card which is weak, weak.

Don’t worry though. It will run but on what settings I have absolutely no idea and if it is inadequate all you need is a new graphics card.

8GB DDR RAM is nice.

Some other relevant information may also be your screen resolution and power supply unit wattage.

Or rather what are the complete specs of that system and what did it cost?

It’s so strange to me. I think you’ve bought a work computer and not one meant for playing games at all.

Was probably nicely priced though.

And to clarify the 4770K isn't worse at playing games than any other 4th gen CPU however a $150 cheaper one is just as good at playing games but not various other work.

Well, I got it for $600 (through a crafty combination of sales, my dad's military discount, and him paying for roughly $150 along with taxes.) I think it's normally somewhere around the ballpark of $850-$900. And like I said, it's mainly for school stuff and gaming is a secondary.

And I checked the graphics card: apparently it's shorter than the other cards, so maybe it was put in there because it had no more room? I'm not sure. That's what was the best graphics card option was in the selections. But I'm not sure. Anyways, the computer is advertised as a performance desktop, so I'm guessing it's just the processor that's beefed up to do multitasking or something. Although I checked and the GTX 645 seems to be more powerful than the GTX 560 called for in the recommended requirements (based on what I could find on the website, although I'm not very good with computer parts so I'm not certain. It does have more MHz and CUDA cores, whatever the hell they are.)

My screen resolution looks to be 1920x1080, while I have no idea what the wattage is. I can't seem to find anything regarding that. I can toss you a link to the Dell site for anything else, though.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgt19b&model_id=xps-8700

Well, I got it for $600 (through a crafty combination of sales, my dad's military discount, and him paying for roughly $150 along with taxes.) I think it's normally somewhere around the ballpark of $850-$900. And like I said, it's mainly for school stuff and gaming is a secondary.

And I checked the graphics card: apparently it's shorter than the other cards, so maybe it was put in there because it had no more room? I'm not sure. That's what was the best graphics card option was in the selections. But I'm not sure. Anyways, the computer is advertised as a performance desktop, so I'm guessing it's just the processor that's beefed up to do multitasking or something. Although I checked and the GTX 645 seems to be more powerful than the GTX 560 called for in the recommended requirements (based on what I could find on the website, although I'm not very good with computer parts so I'm not certain. It does have more MHz and CUDA cores, whatever the hell they are.)

My screen resolution looks to be 1920x1080, while I have no idea what the wattage is. I can't seem to find anything regarding that. I can toss you a link to the Dell site for anything else, though.

im not sure room was the issue... the 645 is not really suited for "demanding" games :( all you other specs look good, if you can i would move up to at least a gtx 660 or a 7850 or higher.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+645

'

im not sure room was the issue... the 645 is not really suited for "demanding" games :( all you other specs look good, if you can i would move up to at least a gtx 660 or a 7850 or higher.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+645

'

Apparently the GTX 645 is single slot while all the other cards are dual slot, after some further searching. I'm not sure if the computer would be able to take dual slot cards, then (not enough slots?)

I'll be sure to check other cards out, though. Especially for Christmas or my birthday next year.

Actually I’ve googled some and the 645 specs on its product page seem a lot different to what all other sources including benchmarks say about the card. Why I have no idea but I can’t see a single test where the 645 actually does well and they all claim it only has a third of the CUDA cores of the 560 cards and 800 MHz clock instead of 900 or 950 MHz of the 560 and Ti.

Makes it difficult to tell but I would guess the official site is wrong and probably based on some sort of prototype and in general I’ve never heard of a GTX ending in 5 and can’t see much about it online so I really dunno what it is.

Anyways unfortunately I think the card is worse than said unless Dell say specifically somewhere that it has the higher specs because then if it doesn’t that’s fraudulent.

The power supply seems to be 460W which is small. However it will probably work. Assuming a standard motherboard, 4770, 770, a couple of SSDs, a couple of HDDs, some air-cooling and it should ideally require about 450W and a minimum of 420W according to basic watt calculator site that I think uses high values.

So upgrading to a 660 or weaker will definitely work because Dell has tried that and the 660 Ti, 760 or even 770 should work.

Anyways the game will probably run on standard settings as is but I really don't know what will happen now. Some CPU-heavy settings may be really high and some graphics settings may be really low. I wouldn’t worry about buying the game however you should know that for $300 new you will be able to max it pretty much except for view distance that no one maxes. A used 660 Ti will probably come cheaper.

$600 is a great price by the way and normally it seems to be around $1000 though it doesn’t seem to come with the exact parts you’re using anymore and that’s also a decent price but gets worse considering there’s weak graphics, no SSD and probably a weak power supply. Upgrading it a bit to have all that would end around $1500 which is maybe some hundred dollars more expensive than if you do it yourself but then again having it pre-built costs about $100 to usually and all that.

But a 660, 660 Ti, 760 or 770 and an SSD and hopefully the unknown motherboard and power supply hopefully won’t cause any issues for many years and hardly make a difference.

I noticed you’ve probably got the 4770 and not 4770K meaning no overclocking in which case motherboard and power supply probably doesn’t matter all too much and neither should you have to worry about additional cooling etc.

So wish for a 660, 660 Ti, 760 or 770 and a Samsung 840 120GB or Samsung 840 Evo 120GB/250GB.

Best 770 cards are by ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI and for the other cards it’s probably something similar though EVGA are usually cheaper I think and pretty respectable.

Edited by Sneakson

The power supply seems to be 460W which is small

460? I should have checked the specs better :( , as sneakerson said the 460 is at the very edge but who makes it is what concerns me...a quick search shows that AcBel Polytech makes some of there PSU's who also make Cool Master which does not have the best rep when it comes to PSU's.

@TheEvanCat any way you can get us the info off the side of the PSU such as model number? or better yet take a pic of it.