Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

So my old laptop fried and I was thinking might aswell get a new one that can handle ArmA 3 , I cant really get a stationary so lap top is my only choise .. Money is abit tight so after alot of looking I kinda settled on this one , But I would like some advice , and the main question is would Arma 3 run on it ? and how well ?

HP Probook 4740s B0Y84EA:

Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5 GHz (3.1 GHz Turbo)

2 cores

3 MB L3-cache

8 GB

AMD Radeon HD7650M (1024 MB GDDR3 VRAM)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

If I dont run on the super duper mega highest settings it would be pretty ok , but I would like it to run on high . Im really shit on comps so any help would be great

thanks a bunch in advance !

That notebook is quite an old model, still uses the gpu chips from the 5000 series and sandy bridge, I'd recommend getting something with ivy bridge or haswell (3xxx and 4xxx) cpu and a more modern gpu.

notebooks dont perform like desktops, but arma is pretty light on the gpu if you disable aa and ssao. Should run ok if the cpu is a high end mobile intel i5 or i7 and the notebook has a decent amd or nvidia gpu (compare on notebookcheck, close to ~2000 points on 3dmark11 should do it), also, make sure the core i5 or i7 doesnt have an U behind it, that means low clockspeed/voltage so low performance.

Edited by Leon86

so something more like

ASUS G750JW CI7 2.4 12GB/750 GTX760M FHD 17.3" W8:

Intel Core i7 4700HQ

12 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M

Microsoft Windows 8, 64-bit

would fit me much better I guess ? , btw thanks for the replies , really big help here where its needed !

17.3", hope you dont have to carry that around every day, huge and heavy.

anyway, it'll run a lot better of course.

could get something like this asus

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/336307/asus-n56vb-s4054h/specificaties/

i7 quad and a 740m, wont run as good as the 17" monster, but should do ok, not too expensive and 15", so still mobile.

lenovo

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/321798/lenovo-ideapad-y500-(mbg2amh)/specificaties/

dualcore and a 650m, 650m and 740m are almost identical, i5 dualcore should perform close to the quad as arma doesn't multithread that well.

these dutch prices have about 20% tax on them, so you can calculate the regional equivalent.

If you're buying a notebook of this type doublecheck the specs, these notebooks have a lot of variants, some with good gpu's some with very crappy ones.

No, I wasn't implying he should buy it all at once. And it’s still good value!

He probably already has some of this like the chassis, screen, mouse, audio and such and I was only recommending some things in case he didn’t already have them because they’re sweet.

And then I5-X670ks are great value for they do, Vengeance memories are cheap, small SSDs are absolutely worth it and finally he can spend as much as he wants on a graphics card and will have a computer that he won’t have to upgrade for years and when he finally does all he will have to think about is a new graphics card because the other components will stay strong even longer.

And naturally if all you need is the processor, memories, SSD and graphics card all of that costs $440 plus a graphics card so if you wanted you might end up at $900-ish.

Me personally I’m buying nearly exactly what I wrote except no screen, audio, SSD or PSU and everything except for the mouse will be only a couple of months old at most and even though I’m getting an i7 instead of i5 (+$150), a more expensive graphics card than I would recommend others (+$100-250, it’s a $600 card) and both a somewhat expensive chassis and mouse it still only lands at just short of $1600 which I think is reasonable because I’m still within the borders of where the cost starts skyrocketing without adding much strength.

Basically I consider what I’m buying a very strong gaming build. I set my budget at $1500 when I started planning it so it’s not a budget build but it’s also not a hardcore build.

My parents have a $3000 portable computer which they bought 10 years ago, that’s more along the cost of what I would consider hardcore. It’s naturally a work computer though, not gaming.

Anyways considering you’re probably not going to need all of the things I wrote I really wouldn’t say it isn’t budget considering what you get. But it is gamer oriented!

I saw a salary of about up to €250 a month so you can probably get the motherboard and processor in two months, the memories and SSD in one month and finally get a graphics card in one or two months more and then you’ll have a really stable build that you shouldn’t have to worry about for some time.

Additionally you (Doc) may be able to do well with both the HDD and DDR2 memories, so a motherboard, processor and graphics card may be all you have to think about so then you'd be down to like $550...

Anyways I'm consufing myself with all of these numbers. Point is I wasn't saying he should buy it all at once because that would be an expensive gaming build but only getting the parts he needs should be price efficient.

If you want to go cheaper than that I can’t really recommend anything because I typically only stay educated about the newer components.

thanks alot sneakson! i will try to get the CPU and Motherboard this month. then i ll check out if i need hdd or graphic card first. then i get 4gb more of ram and a new chassis i think. then i m fine ;)

lenovo

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/321798/lenovo-ideapad-y500-(mbg2amh)/specificaties/

dualcore and a 650m, 650m and 740m are almost identical, i5 dualcore should perform close to the quad as arma doesn't multithread that well.

Oh I was trying to get a 15.6" , damn inches messed me up 39cm is about 15.6" inches .

Im checking this one now ,

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=783799#extra

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 15.6" Full HD

Intel Core i7 4:e gen. 4700MQ / 2.4 GHz

4 cores

8gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Windows 8

Seems to be simular and maybe abit better then the Lenovo you linked ? its about 900 Euros too so its not horrible expensive

Btw thanks again so much for helping me .

Bought a $11 SteelSeries QcK mousepad today... nice!

A lot more accurate than my non-gaming mousepad. Basically DOES what DPI DOESN’T.

Better fidelity aiming that makes me closer to pixel precise when though I still have to move the mouse the exact same distance to spin around so it definitely added fidelity, not sensitivity.

I tried circling my aim around a bush only some pixels big at a couple of hundred meters distance and could make perfect, small circles following the outlines of the bush.

With my non-gaming mousepad I can’t make small circles, have trouble following the outline of the bush very accurately and occasionally it sort of jumps around and I used to think it was a mouse issue.

Oh I was trying to get a 15.6" , damn inches messed me up 39cm is about 15.6" inches .

4 cores

8gb RAM

Windows 8

Seems to be simular and maybe abit better then the Lenovo you linked ? its about 900 Euros too so its not horrible expensive

looks good.

4 cores

8gb RAM

Windows 8

Also just ordered the Y510p but with 16Gig Ram and GT750 SLI :)

It should arrive tomorrow, so let's wait and see how it is then.

Also just ordered the Y510p but with 16Gig Ram and GT750 SLI :)

It should arrive tomorrow, so let's wait and see how it is then.

Had to switch it up , the store that had the Y510p ran out , So after 2 days of being pissed off I found this one :

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=781359#extra

MSI GE70 17.3" Full HD

--------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 4:e gen. 4700MQ

4 cores

8 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Windows 8

Seems better then the one I picked befor and only 100 euros more , I can pop in more RAM if needed easy . GFX card is better too . And after finaly figuring out how to messure computere screeens Im happy with 17,3" hah .

Let me know how the Y510p works Maatz , and thanks for all the help

Had to switch it up , the store that had the Y510p ran out , So after 2 days of being pissed off I found this one :

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=781359#extra

MSI GE70 17.3" Full HD

--------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 4:e gen. 4700MQ

4 cores

8 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Windows 8

Seems better then the one I picked befor and only 100 euros more , I can pop in more RAM if needed easy . GFX card is better too . And after finaly figuring out how to messure computere screeens Im happy with 17,3" hah .

Let me know how the Y510p works Maatz , and thanks for all the help

17.3" is big... and more than 8GB RAM is only for 3D rendering and video editing.

Hello Can anyone help me? I Am New to PC Gaming And I am looking for a PC that will be able to run Arma 3 and Battlefield 4 and other upcoming games at Max settings for about $ 1,500 Preferably CAD But I can shop in the US if i have too Please help me.

17.3" is big... and more than 8GB RAM is only for 3D rendering and video editing.

17,3 is big yeah , but thats what good about it , you can see alot more with a big screen .

Chassis: depends very much on what you want.

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

Memory: 4x2GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K

Graphics Card: Cheap: GTX 760, Medium: 770, Expensive: 780 and Very expensive: Titan. Note that different manufacturers have slightly different cards with different pricing too.

SSD: Samsung 840 250GB

HDD: Western Digital (WD) Caviar Blue 1TB

Power supply: Any solid 500-600W…

All of that with the 760 and without chassis and power supply should be about $1200. Spend another $150 on power supply and about $100 on chassis plus you’re probably going to have to pay some shipping and should end up around $1500…

Oh and Windows 7/8 64-bit if you haven’t got a usable copy which is about $125!

I’m assuming:

1) You already have some audio, screen, mouse and keyboard.

2) You have no components that you can use already.

Also I strongly recommend a 1920x1080 (16:9) or 1920x1200 (16:10) screen!

Additionally a 1600-dpi mouse is very important on an HD screen because the screen is bigger and you will need your mouse to move quicker without losing precision due to low dpi.

Finally a SteelSeries QcK mousepad ($10) and a good keyboard that’s mechanical if you can afford.

I’m also not an audio guy but obviously you’ll want some decent speakers or headphones.

My 1920x1200 (16:10) IPS screen (great colors and viewing angles) HP Zr24w I strongly would recommend to everyone (costs $230 Ebay.com) and once you buy it you won’t have to buy another screen until we start seeing 4K screens (4 times HD: 3840 × 2160) or non-TN 120 Hz monitors in a really long time… what I’m saying is that a great computer screen just like audio is something you can use for more than 10 years while graphic cards have to be changed every few years if you want to play the newest games. $230 is very, very cheap.

The SteelSeries Sensei Raw Rubberized is a world-class gaming mouse for only $70 where I live.

If you buy roughly this computer you will have a very strong gaming computer as cheap as possible and that only enthusiast computers can beat by spending exponentially more money on it.

All components except for your graphics card will probably last you many years. Your graphics card is the weakest link so to say and in a couple of years or you will probably have to upgrade it.

If you want to be strategic get a 700-750W power supply instead so when it is time to upgrade graphics card instead of buying a new, expensive one you instead buy one just like the one you already have and run two of those at the same time (called SLI).

Two 770s are 40% stronger than one Titan and cost the exact same. If you wait one or two years both the Titan and the 770 will probably have dropped a lot in cost however so in the end you will have a 40% stronger computer than a Titan but at perhaps 75% the total cost etc…

About 700-750W is necessary to very safely run two 700-cards and all of the other equipment in the computer at once.

By the way: this entire guide assumes that you can build your own computer or that someone you know can do it for you. If you can’t, none of your relatives can, none of your friends or friends relatives can then you’re better off buying a complete computer from a store in which case you better just go around stores asking than asking online because I don’t know anything about what stores there are in Canada or what they sell.

Can somebody send me the link to PC Parts that will be able to run Arma 3 Max settings with 60 FPS and it has to be within $ 1,500 Please note that I dont have anything not even a mouse So all that other stuff needs to be factored in sorry..

Can somebody send me the link to PC Parts that will be able to run Arma 3 Max settings with 60 FPS and it has to be within $ 1,500 Please note that I dont have anything not even a mouse So all that other stuff needs to be factored in sorry..

Are you talking about playing ARMA 3 at 60 FPS maxed out as

a) multiplayer with NO AI players

b) single player with tons of AI running around

c) both multiplayer and tons of AI?

You can get a almost any nice system that will do B now. A and C are harder since the engine still needs optimizations for the AI threads to use more than 1 or 2 cpu cores. That is the slowdown in the entire game engine right now.

I check the latest beta using benchmarks and everytime AI heavy game setting comes up, it drops my system nearly under 15 FPS, despite having 4 core cpu i5-760 @ 4 GHZ with ATI 6950 unlocked CFX gpu setup.

I would wait until the game is out of beta to buy a new system just for ARMA 3.

I think if you can get any HASWELL cpu system with 4 cores and OC it to 4.5 - 5.0 GHZ, then it might be possible to keep above 35-40 FPS with heavy AI.

No I was just looking for Components of a PC that would be able to run Arma 3 I didnt mean I needed it today and Yes I wanted it for general Gaming Not just Arma 3 But arma 3 was my Priority

Max settings 60 fps will cost you a big lot more than that... it's impossible!!

Running the game at max setting is not an issue however ARMA3 support a viewing distance of 12 kilometers which is a true lot! However what I mentioned above will let you run the game at max settings with a view distance of about three kilometers at about 45-50 fps average which is nice enough really. Note that as a ground soldier on Stratis you can’t see more than 800 meters unless you’re standing on a big hill and any viewing distance beyond 1600 meters is mostly for flying.

Also you can probably turn down a lot of settings without making the game appear any worse at all and increase your view distance more than that if you want to fly a lot so no worries.

If you want a screen, mouse and keyboard for the $1500 too try this instead:

NOTE: All of my prices are AMERICAN dollars translated from current Swedish pricing!

All prices also include local shipping for each item though realistically many would be shipped together to save some bucks here and some there.

Chassis: Corsair 200R ($80) – Note: it’s pretty big… smaller 300R costs $100.

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ($210)

Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz ($50)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K ($27)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 ($360)

SSD: Samsung 840 120GB ($120)

HDD: Western Digital (WD) Caviar Blue 1TB ($80)

Power supply: Corsair CX500 v2 ($75)

Monitor: HP Zr2440w* ($360… Amazon.com $320… Ebay could be even cheaper)

Keyboard: Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000I with Cherry Brown Switches ($100)

Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Raw Rubberized ($66)

Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK ($11)

Equals: $1499… plus Windows $150 unless you have a discount.

If you want to go cheaper than that you can probably use Asrock B85M Pro4 motherboard ($105), a $50 keyboard, a slightly cheaper mouse and probably a $100 cheaper monitor too.

I personally wouldn't recommend changing motherboard because I don't know much about the Asrock but all parts are compatible which may not be true with other motherboards.

*HP Zr2440w is the new Zr24w which is my monitor and it’s great.

Anyways unless you know how to put these components together yourself I would recommend contacting a well-known Canadian store or online store and ask if they sell any complete gaming computer sets.

Alternatively make sure you know someone how knows.

Someone will have to build it then test it either by benchmarking or simply playing some games on it for some hours to see that all components are working well, check temperatures… once Windows is installed, components work, internet works and you’ve turned down the brightness setting on your screen (spoiler: it’s so bright when you unbox it your eyes will melt out of your skull) and up the sensitivity setting on your mouse to 1440 to accommodate to the big screen you’re good to go pretty much!

I think if you can get any HASWELL cpu system with 4 cores and OC it to 4.5 - 5.0 GHZ, then it might be possible to keep above 35-40 FPS with heavy AI.

Current Haswell only easily overclocks to 4-4.2 GHz... 4.5 is sort of the maximum... naturally anything is possible with enough cooling but that'll cost ya.

Edited by Sneakson

thanks with those specs what Settings would I be looking at to Get 60 FPS?

Note that I added some text above afterwards:

“Anyways unless you know how to put these components together yourself I would recommend contacting a well-known Canadian store or online store and ask if they sell any complete gaming computer sets.

Alternatively make sure you know someone how knows.

Someone will have to build it then test it either by benchmarking or simply playing some games on it for some hours to see that all components are working well, check temperatures… once Windows is installed, components work, internet works and you’ve turned down the brightness setting on your screen (spoiler: it’s so bright when you unbox it your eyes will melt out of your skull) and up the sensitivity setting on your mouse to 1440 to accommodate to the big screen you’re good to go pretty much!â€

With those specs you should be able to run the game really well. Maximum settings or close but indistinguishable from maximum settings with “some†kilometers of view distance. The only thing I really went cheap on is 4GB (2x2) memory instead of 8GB (4x2) which would just be another $50 I guess and I’m currently running the game with 4GB and my memory never seems to work at 100% when I’m playing ARMA anyways. RAM is mostly for multi-tasking so the worst thing that I suppose could happen is that you won’t be able to run a lot of background programs while playing.

I can’t say exactly how well it will run until in two-three weeks when I will buy a computer with the same processor only i7 instead of i5 (which currently makes only 3% difference in gaming), 8GB memory (I’ll see then if more than 4GB is even used), a 770 instead of 760 (mine’s about 20% faster) and a lot of different other things that don’t have effect on gaming.

By then I’ll be able to test any and all settings and show some exact numbers.

By the way a 1920x1080 screen instead of 1200 could give you about 10% better performance… might be worth it. Don’t know any good such screens at the moment though but there are probably tons around.

Edited by Sneakson

Processor: AMD FX 4100 3.60GHz Quad-Core; Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset; Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; Hard Drive: 500GB (7200 RPM); Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD6670 1GB Video Card; Optical Drive: 22X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive; Audio: High Definition 2/4/5.1/7.1 Channel; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Expansions: Bays Total (Free) - 3 ( 1 ) External 5.25"; 6 ( 5 ) Internal 3.5"; 2 ( 2 ) Internal 2.5"; Slots Total (Free) - 1 ( 1 ) PCI; 1 ( 1 ) PCI Express x1; 1 ( 0 ) PCI Express x16; 2 ( 0 ) DIMM 240-Pin

Connectivity: 2 x PS/2; 5 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0 [1 front, 4 rear]; 1 x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T; Audio; 1 x DVI; 1 x HDMI; 1 x D-Sub VGA

Chassis: In-Win MANA 134 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with 400 Watt Power Supply; Accessories: Keyboard and Optical Mouse with Scroll; Service & Support Details: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty; Free Lifetime Tech Support

will that be able to run arma 3 at high settings?

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

RAM 16 GB DDR3

Hard Drive 2 TB HDD 7200 rpm

Graphics Coprocessor Nvidia Geforce 670 GTX

Card Description Nvidia Geforce 670 GTX 2GB GDDR5 Video Card

witch one will run arma 3 better?

Processor: AMD FX 4100 3.60GHz Quad-Core; Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset; Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; Hard Drive: 500GB (7200 RPM); Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD6670 1GB Video Card; Optical Drive: 22X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive; Audio: High Definition 2/4/5.1/7.1 Channel; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Expansions: Bays Total (Free) - 3 ( 1 ) External 5.25"; 6 ( 5 ) Internal 3.5"; 2 ( 2 ) Internal 2.5"; Slots Total (Free) - 1 ( 1 ) PCI; 1 ( 1 ) PCI Express x1; 1 ( 0 ) PCI Express x16; 2 ( 0 ) DIMM 240-Pin

Connectivity: 2 x PS/2; 5 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0 [1 front, 4 rear]; 1 x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T; Audio; 1 x DVI; 1 x HDMI; 1 x D-Sub VGA

Chassis: In-Win MANA 134 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with 400 Watt Power Supply; Accessories: Keyboard and Optical Mouse with Scroll; Service & Support Details: 1 Year Parts & Labor Warranty; Free Lifetime Tech Support

will that be able to run arma 3 at high settings?

No! I googled the graphics card and a review mentions only running 2010 games at max settings in 1024x768… it’s terrible! Metro 2033 (March 2010) runs in only 20 fps… so terrible…

Edit: without even looking at reviews I'll tell you the second one is much better.

The GTX 670 is the precursor to the 770.

660 -> 760, both cheap.

670 -> 770, both medium.

680 -> 780, both expensive.

That's how NVidia name their cards pretty much.

The second one could be too much even.

You only need an i5 and 8GB RAM... i7s and more than 8GB RAM is for working with 3D or video editing.

2TB is also probably more space than you'll need but it's never bad to have more.

Edited by Sneakson

Could You point me in the right direction at an already made PC that would run arma 3 on High settings for $ 1,500?

Could You point me in the right direction at an already made PC that would run arma 3 on High settings for $ 1,500?

I don't know any Canadian stores at all.

Where did you see the second computer above with the 670?

Anyways ask around. Ask your parents, relatives, friends... there should be both reputable electronic store chains, smaller stores for gamers and serious builders, trustworthy online stores... even stores that offer to build your computer if you order separate components.

Hi i am currently working on a build so i can play this game. Will this be good enough to get good fps out of it?

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

PowerColor AX7750 1GBK3-H Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

8GB RAM

im just going to put my windows 7 Home Premium OS on it i guess

Edited by Cleversaur

I regret to inform you NO CURRENT AMD CPU with any graphics card will give you 60 FPS in ARMA 3 with heavy AI.

The CPUs are really good for multitasking but it's effeciency is not as good as any Intel CORE cpu at the same clock speed.

I recommend you guys do research and find the cheapest Intel Quad Core cpu (current generations from I5-2500K, I5/i7-3xxxx or i5/i7-4xxx series) that can OC the highest and get a good MB and 8 GB of ram.

Go for bang for the buck. You don't need more than 6-8 cores, don't need hyperthreading, don't need built in crappy graphics card on the cpu.

Then get the fastest video card with 2 GB or more VRAM for ARMA since it needs to load and render a ton of stuff due to view distance. And a SSD, at least to load the game and OS since ARMA streams the game assets. I doubt ARMA can load everything into ram unless you run a huge ramdisk.

Here is a really good link with GPU and CPU benchmarks for ARMA 3 at 60 FPS. It seems you need at least a SLI or CFX system (Nvidia 690 or AMD/ATI 6990) and a 4.9 GHZ cpu.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2306250

GPUs hitting 60 FPS @ 1920x1080

http://i.imgur.com/Qk17blk.jpg (146 kB)

CPU performance @ 1920x1080

http://i.imgur.com/TpOLckP.jpg (116 kB)

@ Billz4money - BTW: You know Battlefield 4's game engine will be 64 bit only and can use more than 4 cores. It can use 6 cores or more. So again, you really need to do some research and see if others are able to build a solid 24/7 system - cpu, mb, ram and gpu setup that will run ARMA 3 and Battlefield 4 at 60 FPS before you even buy it.

I bet you will need to upgrade the cpu and mb even if you buy the best now.

For ARMA, it is all about the highest possible clock speeds. For Battlefield, it is about more cpu cores. To have both, the cpu alone can cost as much as your budget.

For a gpu, I usually recommend the 2nd best video gpu from Nvidia or AMD. I never recommend any less to anyone despite their budget because they will come back and say the game performs terrible due to having an inadequate system, especially when most gamers will keep their systems for at least 2-3 years. Why put up with a bad gaming experience because you tried to save 100 USD? Just work harder or another week or give blood or whatever and get something that is a little more than you need now so it can keep up with future games.

Edited by Valken