Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Ok, so I am going to buy and build my very first gaming rig soon (and I am stoked ) and I was wondering if I would be able to run in high settings, maybe even ultra with decent FPS..

Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

Motherboard: MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1066 Intel-LGA 1155 Motherboard

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2×8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold

Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer

Optical Drive:Samsung 24x SATA DVD¡ARW Internal Drive

Ok, so I am going to buy and build my very first gaming rig soon (and I am stoked ) and I was wondering if I would be able to run in high settings, maybe even ultra with decent FPS..

Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

Motherboard: MSI Computer Corp. DDR3 1066 Intel-LGA 1155 Motherboard

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2×8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache

SSD: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold

Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer

Optical Drive:Samsung 24x SATA DVD¡ARW Internal Drive

you should be able to play almost anything on high/ultra with that rig :) you will have to wait for the final release of A3 to get a true idea of how you rig will handle it, but the odds are in your favor :)

The game performance difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is barely measurable. 2.0 will not be a performance limiting factor.

Your cpu is not the newest, you could look into overclocking it a bit, I've got my i5-750 on 4.2 GHz (very similar to your cpu), performs quite well.

what's your current graphics card by the way?

I can get my i7 930 CPU up to about 3.15Ghz vs. the 2.80Ghz it's rated for, and after that it starts to become unstable. That's what I run it at to play ArmA II/OA, and I can get reasonably high settings. The video card I have now is an AMD 5850, which from reading the specs and this thread, maybe gets me over the minimum settings for the game, but that's it. I'd like to be able to play with a reasonable frame rate, etc.

So I have to upgrade something. The question is, do I put all my money into buying a top end video card? Or do I split it between upgrading the CPU and video card both?

Also, if I upgrade the video card - to what? NOTHING else I do pushes my rig like ArmA does, so if there is a preference for Nvidia over AMD, I might as well buy whatever is optimal for ArmA.

Edited by Polar Bear

I'm not sure what your point is by posting that, I already agreed that 2 way SLI (current gen) will not benefit from PCIe 3.0.

PCIe 3.0 is only beneficial in 3 and 4 way SLI configs (High res surround with a CPU that can feed them and an amount of traffic that can effectively choke 2.0) as I illustrated - we are in agreement (I think) :D

Not many people have setups like that, PCIe 3.0 will become a lot more relevant next year with x99, 4K res etc.

it is a more comprehensive and in depth explanation of the differences between 2.0 and 3.0.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

CPU and video card both?

ARMA is more CPU Dependant than GPU, a 670 VC should serve you well along with a 3570K

it is a more comprehensive and in depth explanation of the differences between 2.0 and 3.0.

Roger that :)

Edited by BangTail

I can get my i7 930 CPU up to about 3.15Ghz vs. the 2.80Ghz it's rated for, and after that it starts to become unstable. That's what I run it at to play ArmA II/OA, and I can get reasonably high settings. The video card I have now is an AMD 5850, which from reading the specs and this thread, maybe gets me over the minimum settings for the game, but that's it. I'd like to be able to play with a reasonable frame rate, etc.

So I have to upgrade something. The question is, do I put all my money into buying a top end video card? Or do I split it between upgrading the CPU and video card both?

Also, if I upgrade the video card - to what? NOTHING else I do pushes my rig like ArmA does, so if there is a preference for Nvidia over AMD, I might as well buy whatever is optimal for ArmA.

930's are usually good overclockers, the instability might have been caused by ram, lower multiplier will fix that if that was the problem. With a good cooler almost all 930 will do 4GHz safely. Of course not everybody has the time to learn how to overclock properly, socket 1366 still requires a little bit of effort.

If you want to know if you're gpu or cpu limited I'd recommend you download the program called "msi afterburner" and use it to monitor "gpu load" and "fps", if you see low fps with low gpu load a lot then you're cpu limited, low fps with high load is either well balanced or gpu limited.

Edited by Leon86

how well will my pc run arma 3? will it be able to run it on medium/ high settings at around 60fps?

Specs:

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750M)

Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature2/Dual Fan/2048MB GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/mHDMI/DP/SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-2687-KR)

Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Edited by PurePassion
Moved. Please search before posting. Thanks!

Hej guys,

I was thinking of buying a new laptop for work. And it should be capable of playing Arma3 and Take on Mars etc.

Do you guys have some nice thingys for me? I have no clue about laptop hardware and stuff.

Problem is, I do not have enough space for a real gaming rig, so I have to go with a laptop.

I've done a quick search alreaedy but didn't find helpful results :(

Is this the right place to post such a request?

Cheers,

maatz

how well will my pc run arma 3? will it be able to run it on medium/ high settings at around 60fps?

Specs:

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750M)

Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD2002FAEX

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature2/Dual Fan/2048MB GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/mHDMI/DP/SLI Graphics Card (02G-P4-2687-KR)

Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

You shouldn't worry. Solid specs.

Hej guys,

I was thinking of buying a new laptop for work. And it should be capable of playing Arma3 and Take on Mars etc.

Do you guys have some nice thingys for me? I have no clue about laptop hardware and stuff.

Problem is, I do not have enough space for a real gaming rig, so I have to go with a laptop.

I've done a quick search alreaedy but didn't find helpful results :(

Is this the right place to post such a request?

Cheers,

maatz

ARMA3 on laptop... wouldn't recommend. But if you're prepared to pay the same amount of money as for a stationary computer there are some alternatives nowadays.

Edited by Sneakson

ARMA3 on laptop... wouldn't recommend. But if you're prepared to pay the same amount of money as for a stationary computer there are some alternatives nowadays.

Hi Sneakson,

thank you for your answer. The problem is, I do not have that much space to set up a desktop machine at my place. I planned on buying a new laptop for work anyway and therefore I am looking for a machine which could handle Arma3, Take on Mars etc. I played on consoles the last years so I do not worry too much about good looking graphics. Just want to play Arma3 again My budget about max. 1300€.

What about such machine, Lenovo Y500 it was I think:

Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI - 2x 2048 MB, 790 MHz, 1000 MHz

16 GB RAM

Any more ideas?

yeah these are my laptop specs, wondering if I could get 60 stable on very low res and very low quality (including all the tweaks to get your FPS higher)

It's a Lenovo Y460p, i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz, AMD 6550M with clocks bumped up to 800/1100 MHz, 8 GB ram, good cooling to push the clocks higher.

will it play? A couple of people on this thread have lower laptop specs than me and are able to play the game fine, wondering if mine will work as well.

Hi Sneakson,

thank you for your answer. The problem is, I do not have that much space to set up a desktop machine at my place. I planned on buying a new laptop for work anyway and therefore I am looking for a machine which could handle Arma3, Take on Mars etc. I played on consoles the last years so I do not worry too much about good looking graphics. Just want to play Arma3 again My budget about max. 1300€.

What about such machine, Lenovo Y500 it was I think:

Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI - 2x 2048 MB, 790 MHz, 1000 MHz

16 GB RAM

Any more ideas?

Not sure about laptop specs… they’re all a bit different from stationary computers.

The Y500 seems to max most games a year old or so at about 50 fps… not sure if that’s going to get you more than standard settings in ARMA 3 though. If you want around 60 fps that is. I run standard-high settings that make the game look nice but about at 40+ fps… any lower settings and it doesn’t look too good and any higher settings and it doesn’t run too good. Current minimum is still above 30 fps I think but if I turn on anti-aliasing the minimum dips to 20 which makes ARMA impossibly difficult to control because of sway and all that.

Anyways there’s no way to be sure until the game is out really. It will hopefully be better optimized and have more settings but will also have new, higher settings so it’s difficult to tell how it will run until someone has actually tried it.

The Y500 seems OK but you may be able to get something else for €1300 that just barely pushes you up to 60 fps on high settings. If you’re buying it specifically for ARMA3 I’d do like me (in fact I am doing like me) and wait with computer upgrades until it comes closer to release… I’m waiting until about august or so anyways.

yeah these are my laptop specs, wondering if I could get 60 stable on very low res and very low quality (including all the tweaks to get your FPS higher)

It's a Lenovo Y460p, i7 2630QM @ 2.9 GHz, AMD 6550M with clocks bumped up to 800/1100 MHz, 8 GB ram, good cooling to push the clocks higher.

will it play? A couple of people on this thread have lower laptop specs than me and are able to play the game fine, wondering if mine will work as well.

Can't find anything about gaming on that laptop but ARMA3 on lowest settings isn't very demanding... also doesn't look too nice though.

Yeah I'm not really into graphical detail and all, I will probably be using some fps tweaks and taking advantage of i7 hyperthreading and gpu overclocking to get 60 fps stable on low res and low quality.

Yeah I'm not really into graphical detail and all, I will probably be using some fps tweaks and taking advantage of i7 hyperthreading and gpu overclocking to get 60 fps stable on low res and low quality.

With those specs I think you’re somewhere medium high but I really don’t know how laptop equipment compare to desktop. Medium 60 easily based on the processor anyways and probably mixed medium-ultra settings and no AA about 50-60 too. May even do solid high settings well, with some AA. Can't find much about that graphics card though.

I have tested it out on my computer, and I am able to get a solid 70+ on the infantry simulation with most things turned to low on highest res, viewdistance is at 1000 as well as objectdistance. For the actual game, I plan to scale down to 1024 * 768 or 800 * 600 or even lower if the game allows that, and I've tested that I get 140+ solid at 1024 * 768 on the infantry simulation/demo in the lite version. What will this translate to FPS wise on multiplayer servers?

Edited by allenwinds

Hey there!

I'm already running Arma3 Alpha on my pc.

But the performance is (as on any Arma version) not very good.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-2600 processor (3,40GHz, 8MB)

16.384MB (4x4.096) 1.333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Graphics : 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6950

Is there something wrong with my hardware setup?

Should i improve it?

Thx for your answers :)

Best regards Henning

Hey there!

I'm already running Arma3 Alpha on my pc.

But the performance is (as on any Arma version) not very good.

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-2600 processor (3,40GHz, 8MB)

16.384MB (4x4.096) 1.333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Graphics : 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6950

Is there something wrong with my hardware setup?

Should i improve it?

Thx for your answers :)

Best regards Henning

There are known performance issues, especially in multiplayer.

Do you play Wasteland by any chance? :)

How is your performance in the single player showcases?

What settings do you use?

Hey Mad Dog,

Yes!!

I love Wasteland!

I use a quite low setting on everything to maintain a liquid game feeling.

But i wish i could get better graphics AND a liquid game feeling.

If i create a map on the editor its ok until i use a helicopter and his machineguns.

visibility is 1600m.

how would an msi geforce gtx 770 oc with i5 4670k do?

very well of course.

I have tested it out on my computer, and I am able to get a solid 70+ on the infantry simulation with most things turned to low on highest res, viewdistance is at 1000 as well as objectdistance. For the actual game, I plan to scale down to 1024 * 768 or 800 * 600 or even lower if the game allows that, and I've tested that I get 140+ solid at 1024 * 768 on the infantry simulation/demo in the lite version. What will this translate to FPS wise on multiplayer servers?

No idea... 140 can't drop to less than 60 though! Unless it's an issue with the server or the connection.

With this configuration, it will be possible to play in good conditions ? ( maybe 30+ fps ?)

CPU : Intel Core i5 3570k

GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2Go

RAM : 8Go

O.S : Windows 7 64 bits

Hi everyone.

Thanks to you again Sneakson for your input!

Though I am coming from the console player side I am not into fancy ultra HD graphics and/or 60 fps. I just want to play my beloved Arma series again I thought, and as I need a new laptop till end of july anyway I thought of getting a rig that can handle Arma3.

Now I found out the Y500 gets a successor, the Y510 with following spec:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4700MQ at 4x 2,40 GHz

GPU: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT750M SLI with 2x 2048 MB

RAM: 16 GB

This machine is available at my country for about 1099€. The older Y500 thingy now of course gets cheaper.

So would you recommend to go with the newer model or take one of the older models?

kind regards and thanks in advance

Hi,can my PC run ArmA 3?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 4GB RAM 3.2 GHz

GPU: ATI Radeon HD5670

I heard ArmA 3 isn´t optimized for AMD. Thanks for answers!

Hey ppl, here my rig:

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Graphic Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 680 - EVGA

RAM: 16.0 GB Corsair

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V

What u guys think about?