Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

How many Titans to get me to Thermosphere visibility, Objects to High and actual surface movement of the sun fully played out with dedicated PhysX card at a steady 100fps?

J/K gnomore but you ask the impossible :p

What hardware would be necessary to run Arma 3 under the following settings at a consistant rate > 80fps.

I can't tell if your trolling or being serious.

These types of threads are just end up as flame bait, There is no way for people with different hardware to just suggest what others should do, You can post when your specs are and what results you get but beyond that you can't really give any more advice as to specific hardware you dont own.

just because Arma 3 runs faster on X does not mean that Y is slower, if we put everyone on ram drives and the issue is disk access that kinda throws results out of the window regardless of what C or G PU you have. What if the issue is the guy that has low FPS is running arma 3 on the same hard drive as windows, it has 8mb of cache and is 5400rpm drive, what good would telling that dude his CPU is junk if the issue is clearly he needs to upgrade his hard drive.

The rumor mill was telling me that it was Intel and nvidia that ran like crap.

Also as to how much ram one has, more is always better even if you don't need it. (especially if you beta test software that is prone to memory leaks.)

What each person needs to do when they think they need to upgrade is first reformat their system, possibly even upgrade their hard drive to something with less miles on it maybe of the solid state variety and then come back and see if the problem persists.

Not sure if my reply submitted correctly or not, so if this ends up being a double post I apologize.

Sadly I am being serious. I enjoy flight in arma 2 moreso than all the other features. Back when arma 2 released I built a system with two 5970's in it to try and run it at 10k view distance. It failed miserably. Do the devs not test at all the highest settings the came can perform at? Or are they running much lower resolutions.

The system I am planning on going with is going to be a I7 3930k 6 core overclocked to the 4.7GHz range. 64 gigs of 2400 MHz memory. 2 x GTX Titans in SLI. 16 gigs of that system memory will be converted into a RAMdisk, and arma 3 will be installed to the ramdisk to make sure there are no storage system bottlenecks.

You guys think with this system spec I should be able to run ultra settings, 150% rendering resolution (2880x1800).... 1920x1200 resolution, at about 6k-8k view distance? Or still not likely?

Not sure if my reply submitted correctly or not, so if this ends up being a double post I apologize.

Sadly I am being serious. I enjoy flight in arma 2 moreso than all the other features. Back when arma 2 released I built a system with two 5970's in it to try and run it at 10k view distance. It failed miserably. Do the devs not test at all the highest settings the came can perform at? Or are they running much lower resolutions.

The system I am planning on going with is going to be a I7 3930k 6 core overclocked to the 4.7GHz range. 64 gigs of 2400 MHz memory. 2 x GTX Titans in SLI. 16 gigs of that system memory will be converted into a RAMdisk, and arma 3 will be installed to the ramdisk to make sure there are no storage system bottlenecks.

You guys think with this system spec I should be able to run ultra settings, 150% rendering resolution (2880x1800).... 1920x1200 resolution, at about 6k-8k view distance? Or still not likely?

Again, no - nothing you can buy is going to run A3 at >80 FPS, Ultra settings, 150% Rendering, 8K VD

Save your money.

Personally I think 16GB of RAM are something of an overkill...

Yay!

Would 8GB of DDR5 ram be a better shout?

^

Yes, 16gb of RAM is only usefull when you're working with big, temporary files used in for example video-editing / modelling.

Edited by ltsThomas

I usually play ARMA 2 with no shadows, medium textures, no sort of "UBER 1337 FXAA" or anything, PPE (Post Processing Effects) turned off.

Here is my DXDIAG

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/25/2013, 09:37:21
      Machine name: USER-PC
  Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
      System Model: System Product Name
              BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
         Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
            Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
         Page File: 2177MB used, 6010MB available
       Windows Dir: C:\Windows
   DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Edited by PurePassion
Moved. Please search before posting.

hey guys, im not very good with computers, this is my first time building a gaming pc and this is the build i have came up with...tell me what you guys think and is it worth 600 Pound? How will it run arma 3? Thanks

Processor (CPU)

AMD FX-4350 Quad Core CPU (4.3/4.2GHZ - 4MB CACHE/AM3+)

Motherboard

ASUS® M5A97 R2.0(DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, Windows 8 Ready!)

Memory (RAM)

4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 X 4GB)

Graphics Card

2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7870 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply

650W FSP RAIDER SERIES RA-650 80 PLUS® BRONZE (£59)

Processor Cooling

STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO

Edited by PurePassion
Moved. Please search before posting.

Would 8GB of DDR5 ram be a better shout?
Yes, I think 8GB are enough if you're only gaming...
I usually play ARMA 2 with no shadows, medium textures, no sort of "UBER 1337 FXAA" or anything, PPE (Post Processing Effects) turned off.

Here is my DXDIAG

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/25/2013, 09:37:21
      Machine name: USER-PC
  Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
      System Model: System Product Name
              BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
         Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
            Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
         Page File: 2177MB used, 6010MB available
       Windows Dir: C:\Windows
   DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

We're missing your video card there!
hey guys, im not very good with computers, this is my first time building a gaming pc and this is the build i have came up with...tell me what you guys think and is it worth 600 Pound? How will it run arma 3? Thanks

Processor (CPU)

AMD FX-4350 Quad Core CPU (4.3/4.2GHZ - 4MB CACHE/AM3+)

Motherboard

ASUS® M5A97 R2.0(DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, Windows 8 Ready!)

Memory (RAM)

4GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 X 4GB)

Graphics Card

2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7870 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply

650W FSP RAIDER SERIES RA-650 80 PLUS® BRONZE (£59)

Processor Cooling

STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER

Sound Card

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO

In my opinion, add another 4GB of RAM to reach 8GB...

The 7870 is a great video card, although I don't know about the CPU...

Also, for my own experience a 500GB HD is quite small, especially if you want to store music, videos and such among games: I'd go with at least one 1TB HD (at the moment I'm personally using an internal 1TB HD plus another external 1TB)...

Yay!

Hey guys !

I'm going to change my CPU and motherboard, and I want to know if with my new configuration, I will can play in good condition (Mhhhh...30, maybe 40+ FPS ? I play with a team, specially coop against I.A)

Here we go !

CPU : Intel i7 3770K

GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, 2 Go

RAM : DDR3 2 x 4 Go, 1333Mhz

Motherboard : DZ77GA-70k

Thanks ! :)

Hey guys !

I'm going to change my CPU and motherboard, and I want to know if with my new configuration, I will can play in good condition (Mhhhh...30, maybe 40+ FPS ? I play with a team, specially coop against I.A)

Here we go !

Thanks ! :)

Why change your CPU? Id' go with a new video card...

Yay!

How would this game run on a i5 3570K, 660Ti FTW+ (3GB GDDR5), 8gb RAM and ASUS P8H77-M LE?

and I'm currently thinkin about using a Cooler Master GX Lite 600W PSU along with that, or is that not enough power?

@sartax

nah, your card is fine, I wouldn't change a thing.

you'll be gpu limited on an empty map, but in an actual demanding mission you wont notice a difference with a faster card, unless you want to run with lots of antialiasing and postprocessing.

If you dont have the 3770K yet, might want to wait for haswell.

I've seen some gaming benchmarks on a german site, and it performs very well, particularly in cpu limited not perfectly multithreaded stuff like arma.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

How would this game run on a i5 3570K, 660Ti FTW+ (3GB GDDR5), 8gb RAM and ASUS P8H77-M LE?

and I'm currently thinkin about using a Cooler Master GX Lite 600W PSU along with that, or is that not enough power?

every game should run well on that. Arma runs ok too, depends on the mission of course, expect ~40+ fps in helo showcase with decent settings.

Ok Leon86, thanks, but...

you'll be gpu limited on an empty map

Empty map ? Not the inverse ? GPU Limited in a full map (with ia, players, vehicule, script etc etc...).

I'm going to buy à i7 3770k in a few days, so with my Sapphire HD 6950 2Go (and the rest of my configuration), I'm sure to play in "good condition" (30/40+ FPS), and not only in low ? ;)

(The question is maybe idiot, but i'm not a crack in hardware, and I prefer to ask)

Ok Leon86, thanks, but...

Empty map ? Not the inverse ? GPU Limited in a full map (with ia, players, vehicule, script etc etc...).

I'm going to buy à i7 3770k in a few days, so with my Sapphire HD 6950 2Go (and the rest of my configuration), I'm sure to play in "good condition" (30/40+ FPS), and not only in low ? ;)

(The question is maybe idiot, but i'm not a crack in hardware, and I prefer to ask)

Having lots of stuff on the map is heavier on the cpu, with an empty map the cpu isn't very busy so the fps and gpu use goes up. Rendering a bunch of soldiers isn't that heavy on the gpu, especially if they're on the other side of the map so not even in view, the cpu however has to calculate everything.

If you want to save some money I'd get the 3570K, it performs identical in arma and pretty much every other game. there's some benefit in 3770K for video transcoding, but not even worth it for that imo.

But seriously, wait 2 weeks for haswell. It'll be faster for about the same price.

If it's possible, I want to buy a good CPU for A3 for 200/220€, and i have found a i7 3770k for this price, but, if I have the same performance IG with a i5 3570k, i'm going to buy this one, the price is not the same ! I really want to play in good condition (30/40+ FPS), and if it's possible, in high ^^

And I think the futur Haswell is not going to be in my price ^^

Intel i7-3770K CPU

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670

Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory

Western Digital Black - 1TB

Corsair HX850 Professional Series HX 850W PSU

Hopefully have this rig built tomorrow

Thoughts on Arma performance?

And I think the futur Haswell is not going to be in my price ^^

The haswell will be the replacement for ivy bridge, it'll be roughly the same price, just perform better.

Thoughts on Arma performance?

expect very good performace, duuh.

Aye should run fine. I use a 660 Ti and 3570k and I can max it out. Same RAM spec + amount as you too ^.^

Last time i've write this, I promess lol.

So with this configuration :

CPU : Intel Core i5 3570k

GPU : Sapphire HD 6950 2Go

RAM : 2x4Go DDR 1333Mhz

It will be right for ArmA 3 in good condition ? (30/40+ in high ?)

For the Haswell CPU, I see many bad reviews for this CPU...So i'm going to buy a 3570k I think.

Last time i've write this, I promess lol.

So with this configuration :

It will be right for ArmA 3 in good condition ? (30/40+ in high ?)

For the Haswell CPU, I see many bad reviews for this CPU...So i'm going to buy a 3570k I think.

It really depends on what your Displays Resolution is. @1080p , "High" and wanting 30/40. on a 6950 2GB, isnt going to happen.