Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Another important thing for Nvidia users - Check your A3 profile and set 'power management' to 'prefer maximum performance'.

Or do it in the base profile. It only activates in games, so why not.

Or do it in the base profile. It only activates in games, so why not.

Not necessary for other games, I like to keep it clean and I save profiles for some games separately (A3 included).

Obviously, it doesn't hurt to change it in the base profile but since I only need it for ArmA 3, I restrict it to that profile.

Hey, I've recently wanted to get a gaming pc and this computer worth 1000 euros recently went on sale for 679 euro...

"HP Pavilion p6-2388ea Desktop PC"

I was wondering if it would run ARMA 3 (the official version due to come in the future) and the current ARMA 2. Both with 40+ on Ultra graphics?

8 GB (2 x 4 GB)

DDR3

Upgradeable to 32 GB DDR3

AMD A10- 5700

- 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz with Turbo Core

- 5 GT/s DMI

- 4 MB cache memory

AMD Radeon HD 7570 with AMD App Acceleration

2 GB dedicated

Windows 8 64bit

Hard Drive:

2 TB

7200 rpm

SATA 3G

1 Minicard memory card reader

Wifi: 802.11b/g/n (Also will this run multiplayer and DayZ on Ultra with 30 or 40+ FPS?)

Thanks a lot....I'm a noob in the terms of getting a gaming rig and my friends recommended a prebuilt gaming computer as all the parts will be compatible for sure, new and already set up.

So I have a rig I built for ~$400-~$500 that has the following specs:

Radon HD 7850 or 7870 2GB version (I forgot which one, but I run BF3 on ultra around 40-60 fps)

Intel i5 3570K

8.00 GB RAM

125 GB SSD

What can I expect as far as Arma 3 performance goes? I am confidant it can do well on higher settings, but I have no idea how high that might be...

So I have a rig I built for ~$400-~$500 that has the following specs:

Radon HD 7850 or 7870 2GB version (I forgot which one, but I run BF3 on ultra around 40-60 fps)

Intel i5 3570K

8.00 GB RAM

125 GB SSD

What can I expect as far as Arma 3 performance goes? I am confidant it can do well on higher settings, but I have no idea how high that might be...

I have a very similar config (worse CPU though) and I play on High/Ultra @ 1920x1080 at about 20 to 40 FPS...

Yay!

Another important thing for Nvidia users - Check your A3 profile and set 'power management' to 'prefer maximum performance'.

Could you please explain what does it do and what are the benefits? :)

Hey, I've recently wanted to get a gaming pc and this computer worth 1000 euros recently went on sale for 679 euro...

"HP Pavilion p6-2388ea Desktop PC"

I was wondering if it would run ARMA 3 (the official version due to come in the future) and the current ARMA 2. Both with 40+ on Ultra graphics?

8 GB (2 x 4 GB)

DDR3

Upgradeable to 32 GB DDR3

AMD A10- 5700

- 3.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz with Turbo Core

- 5 GT/s DMI

- 4 MB cache memory

AMD Radeon HD 7570 with AMD App Acceleration

2 GB dedicated

Windows 8 64bit

Hard Drive:

2 TB

7200 rpm

SATA 3G

1 Minicard memory card reader

Wifi: 802.11b/g/n (Also will this run multiplayer and DayZ on Ultra with 30 or 40+ FPS?)

Thanks a lot....I'm a noob in the terms of getting a gaming rig and my friends recommended a prebuilt gaming computer as all the parts will be compatible for sure, new and already set up.

Not sure regards the cpu etc, but the HD7570 will struggle with arma 2 or 3 or dayz, imo.

Maybe if someone comes back with a view on the pc itself and say it seems o.k. then think about upgrading the card to a 7850 or similar..:)

Evening guys,

Right, have got bored of console titles, and getting that old itch to revisit my youth gaming days of Op Flashpoint and the original ArmA, I have decided that its time I became a big boy and built myself a gaming desktop PC. I must admit, I dont know all that much about building computers, this would be my first time, and I would be getting assistance from friends who are more in the know than I!

A bit of research and a lot of time wasted in work later, this is what I am thinking - budget wise, looking at max £650...

CPU/Motherboard: i5 3570k w/ 8GB DDR3 RAM (I have read everywhere that the i7 is a bit overkill, as the hyperthreading doesnt bring much to the party. Without wanting to open a can of worms, any thoughts on this?)

GPU: GTX 660 3Gb or Radeon 7870 2Gb - any thoughts on these, if you had the cash, which one would you pick and why?

HDD: 1TB HDD - would a SDD make any significant changes to the in-game performance?

I wont really be recording gameplay much, maybe on occassion, and to be honest, after working my way through the SP campaign and doing a bit of flying (I am, by profession, a military aviator), I will be using the game for the MP side of things mostly, doing co-op bits (I fancy a bit of JTAC work!)

So, should the above work, would you make any recommendations, and what sort of performance could I expect in SP and MP ArmA 3?

Many thanks all!

Matt

I think I have a pretty good PC except for my CPU. I just bought the game yesterday and for obvious reasons I can't play online. I had the game detect the settings based on my system and it maxed everything out except it lags. All drivers are up to date. Does anyone think I should upgrade my CPU and my GPU or strictly my CPU? Looking to get an i5 because i7 doesn't really offer anything worth my money.

OS Windows 7 64Bit

CPU Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz Ivy Bridge

RAM 8GB

GPU AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 1GB

Thanks

I think I have a pretty good PC except for my CPU. I just bought the game yesterday and for obvious reasons I can't play online. I had the game detect the settings based on my system and it maxed everything out except it lags. All drivers are up to date. Does anyone think I should upgrade my CPU and my GPU or strictly my CPU? Looking to get an i5 because i7 doesn't really offer anything worth my money.

OS Windows 7 64Bit

CPU Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz Ivy Bridge

RAM 8GB

GPU AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series 1GB

Thanks

Try lowering the drawing distances, auto detect always ramps them up excessively... Take a look at this vid:

Yay!

Try lowering the drawing distances, auto detect always ramps them up excessively... Take a look at this vid:

Yay!

Alright thanks

So I shouldn't upgrade to an i5? It makes more sense. I think my video card is decent. I could probably get a better one to obviously maximize the game to the fullest

Could you please explain what does it do and what are the benefits? :)

It forces the card(s) to stay in a high performance state (maximum power usage) as opposed to downclocking when the card decides that it doesn't need as much power.

The problem with Arma 3, is that even though the game needs maximum power at all times, the cards (at least Titans) insist on downclocking (when they shouldn't), which in turn lowers performance.

No doubt this will get fixed in a future driver but for now, forcing it through the profile is a quick fix :)

Edited by BangTail

It forces the card(s) to stay in a high performance state (maximum power usage) as opposed to downclocking when the card decides that it doesn't need as much power.

The problem with Arma 3 is that even though the game needs maximum power at all times, the cards (at least Titans) insist on downclocking (when they shouldn't), which in turn lowers performance.

No doubt this will get fixed in a future driver but for now, forcing it through the profile is a quick fix :)

Also: A default Windows installl will set the pc Power Options to "Balanced", which enables any "Bios" settings for "throttling". (Most Bios have this set to ON)

You should go to Power Options in Windows Control Panel and set it to "Performance" while gaming, that should disable throttling of the cpu and gpu (max performance).

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Alright thanks

So I shouldn't upgrade to an i5? It makes more sense. I think my video card is decent. I could probably get a better one to obviously maximize the game to the fullest

Anyone? I just got my video card a few months ago. I could spend my money on an i5 right now and wait for another video card later.

Thanks, BangTail & SWAT_BigBear, I will try your suggestion.

While we're at it, what about "3D settings" -> "adjust image settings with preview" in nVidia control panel? I read somewhere in these forums that setting it to "Let the 3D application decide" helps with FPS. On the other hand I read online that it is not recommended. Any thoughts on this?

Computer Type PC/Desktop: Desktop

System Manufacturer/Model Number: Custom-Build

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4200MHz

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V

Memory: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @2133MHz

Graphics Card: 2x Gigabyte GTX680-SOC-2GB in 2-Way-SLI

Sound Card: OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio

Monitor(s) Displays: Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms (Main-Screen for Gaming) + Dell S2409W 24" (for additional Desktop-Work)

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad

Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection | Zalman FPSGun Mouse | Logitech G9

PSU: Antec HCG-900 900W High Current Gamer 80PLUS Bronze 135mmfan

Case: Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS

Cooling: Thermaltake BigWater 850 GT

Hard Drives: - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate FreeAgent USB 2.0 1TB

Internet Speed: ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL

Other Info: - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick - Plantronics GameCom 777 Headset - Logitech X-210 Speakers

If I max all the Settings out (including the Visibility), I get between 25-35fps. If I only set the profile to Ultra, then I get ~55fps.

:)

Evening guys,

Right, have got bored of console titles, and getting that old itch to revisit my youth gaming days of Op Flashpoint and the original ArmA, I have decided that its time I became a big boy and built myself a gaming desktop PC. I must admit, I dont know all that much about building computers, this would be my first time, and I would be getting assistance from friends who are more in the know than I!

A bit of research and a lot of time wasted in work later, this is what I am thinking - budget wise, looking at max £650...

CPU/Motherboard: i5 3570k w/ 8GB DDR3 RAM (I have read everywhere that the i7 is a bit overkill, as the hyperthreading doesnt bring much to the party. Without wanting to open a can of worms, any thoughts on this?)

GPU: GTX 660 3Gb or Radeon 7870 2Gb - any thoughts on these, if you had the cash, which one would you pick and why?

HDD: 1TB HDD - would a SDD make any significant changes to the in-game performance?

I wont really be recording gameplay much, maybe on occassion, and to be honest, after working my way through the SP campaign and doing a bit of flying (I am, by profession, a military aviator), I will be using the game for the MP side of things mostly, doing co-op bits (I fancy a bit of JTAC work!)

So, should the above work, would you make any recommendations, and what sort of performance could I expect in SP and MP ArmA 3 with relatively high/ultra settings?

Many thanks all!

Matt

Sorry to pester gents, but any thoughts?

Hi Iam am buying a new computer for ARMA3, Only thing is that I have no clue what graphic card and ect I need. All I know is that I want to play with all on MAX.

Starting to get tired, to a joust the graphic details to low. :P

I have been told that this was good enough for ARMA3:

Specs

CyberLink PowerDVD 10 OEM CD

APC Essential Surge Arrest,

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl

Corsair CX 500W PSU

Intel® Core i5-3570K Processor

MSI Z77A-G43, Socket-1155

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT

Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA

Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB BULK

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

Microsoft OEM Wired Desktop 400

BenQ 24" LED GL2450HM

HDMI 1.4 flat Kabel M/M 3m Gold

MS ROYALTY Win 8 Nordic

MS COA Win 8 Nordic

Sorry to pester gents, but any thoughts?

I have that exact same setup (with the Radeon HD 7870) and it works like a charm, I can run BF3 at ultra around 40-60 fps - haven't tried it on Arma 3 yet, but I have been told that it would do well on the higher settings.

As far as why I chose the Radeon HD 7870 is because I think 3GB of graphics card memory is excessive, and the Radeon comes with free games. And I agree with you on the CPU, the i5 is plenty enough and does great (can run Planetside 2 on ultra between 40-60 fps, which is a massive CPU hog)

With the SSD, I have one and would say that during games I don't see any noticeable difference, but I always load maps and launch apps much much faster. So its really just a optional thing.

True, the SSD does not increase FPS but only loading times...

Yay!

Hi all, have a question. Currently I am running ArmA 3 off of my laptop. I do not stay in one place enough to warrant purchasing a desktop. Currently my system specs are:

3rd Gen Ivy Bridge Core i7-3920XM Extreme Edition

16GB of RAM -DDR3 1600MHz

nVidia GeForce GTX 675M @ 2GB

I currently get pretty decent frames running A3, however, I have been looking into upgrading my GPU because at the time when I purchased my laptop I simply didn't have enough money to get exactly what I wanted. I contacted the company who designed my laptop and they said it would be possible to install an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU @ 4GB.

What I would like some help with figuring out, is if it would be worth it to pay to have the 4GB 680M installed. Will there be a noticeable performance gain over the 2GB 675M?

I have searched around online but haven't been able to come up with anything that makes sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, have a question. Currently I am running ArmA 3 off of my laptop. I do not stay in one place enough to warrant purchasing a desktop. Currently my system specs are:

3rd Gen Ivy Bridge Core i7-3920XM Extreme Edition

16GB of RAM -DDR3 1600MHz

nVidia GeForce GTX 675M @ 2GB

I currently get pretty decent frames running A3, however, I have been looking into upgrading my GPU because at the time when I purchased my laptop I simply didn't have enough money to get exactly what I wanted. I contacted the company who designed my laptop and they said it would be possible to install an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M GPU @ 4GB.

What I would like some help with figuring out, is if it would be worth it to pay to have the 4GB 680M installed. Will there be a noticeable performance gain over the 2GB 675M?

I have searched around online but haven't been able to come up with anything that makes sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From what you can read here http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/gpu-battle-gtx-675m-vs-gtx-680m-vs-radeon-vs-hd-7970m-vsradeon-6990m/ the 680M is quite a big improvement on the 675M: just look at Metro 2033 performance, where it goes from unplayable (17 FPS) to acceptable (24 FPS)...

The problem is that right now ArmA III is still work in progress, so there is no way to tell if an upgrade will actually be effective or not: speaking of ArmA III, at this point the bottleneck with most of the configurations is the CPU, but looking at your i7 that souldn't be the problem...

Long story short, if you have the money and the will to make the upgrade I'd say try, but also consider waiting a bit to see what happens with the whole optimization thing, since ArmA III still hasn't undergone through that stage yet...

Yay!

@Jumbify -

Thanks for that mate, I imagine once the final version of A3 is released and has been optimised, (especially after BI have been working with Radeon on drivers), that set up should last a good few years.

Thats the beautiful thing about the ArmA series; the longevity of it all. Once you've finished a console game, thats it - its done with and unless you enjoy playing against 14 year olds with more spots than I've had hot meals, there isnt much left. When I were a lad, I played Op Flashpoint and ArmA to within an inch of its life, and enjoyed every bit of it!

Good set, for running ARMA 3, with MAX settings?

- AMD FX-8320 8-Core Processor Socket-AM3+, 3.5Ghz, 125W, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache, 32nm, Black Edition

- Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0, "OC", with BioShock, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

- Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1866MHz 16GB KIT Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin