Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Thinking of switching to this gfx card thought I'd get some constructive pro's/cons about this card as I'm not to pc/techy savy:) Also lookin at goin SLI if A3/A/release supports it.

ASUS GeForce GTX660Ti 192 BIT 2GB DDR5

My specs:

Windows 7 (x84) 32-bit

GTX 560 Ti Hawk

Intel Core Quad Q9550 @ 2.84 GHz

4 GB RAM

After tweaking settings I get an fps of 20-40 with it averaging a bit less than 30 I guess and not going below 20 unless there's a big fight or lots of smoke.

I've just done some short testing on Showcase: Infantry for now and with just an fps counter to let me approximate how I'm doing.

Do you guys think I would get better performance if I upgraded my processor to an i5 or i7? Say anything under about $300.

Ever since I heard a while back that performance can be bottlenecked by the graphics card I've been dead scared of getting a new processor... perhaps I should though?

Edit: my settings are these:

Visibility: 1600/1300/100

Rendering: V-sync off, everything maxed out except for AA at x2 and postprocessing at low.

Quality: everything at high except for texture quality very high and clouds ultra.

Basically this looks exactly like ultra except for draw distance and post-processing (depth of field and shadow intensity) but gives me 10 sweet fps extra.

Edited by Sneakson

@Sneakson

Wait until June (Intel Haswell generation) and upgrade your processor, mainboard and memory then. Although I have not big expectations of Intel Haswell processors, it should offer a performance improvement of at least somewhere around 10% over current Ivy Bridge models, which are already quite a lot faster than Yorkfield Core 2 Quad. You'll be fine for the next couple of years, at least platform wise.

@halisray

Should be fine for high settings, although the memory is overkill (8 GB is more than you need the following 5 years unless you intend to make a RAM drive). For graphics card you can also look at the HD 7870 XT which is similar priced as the card you selected, but significantly faster as it doesn't use the Pitcairn GPU of HD 7850/7870 but the Tahiti chip of 7950.

That GFX card is more expensive where I live, so I'll settle with the 7870

I would love nothing more than to purchase myself a gaming PC and a copy of arma 3, money isn't really an issue as budget is £1500/£2000 minimum, not boasting :( would love some feedback on a setup that could run this game at absolute maximum settings on everything (Ultra) no corners cut lol, maximum resolution, maximum view/draw distance and at no less than 60FPS? Regardless of load? Is or would this be achievable?

I was thinking Intel i5/i7 maybe later CPU (7970k) is it?

Dual or Quad SLI nVidia GTX 670/680/690 or Titans GPU/s

Motherboard? Brand?

DDR3 RAM 16/32/64GB Memory? Brand?

SSDD and HDD sizes? Brand? Samsung SSDD? Seagate Barracuda/ Western Digital best one? 7200RPM

500/550/750/800/1000/1200/1500WATT PSU? Brand?

Sound Card? Brand?

Disk Drives? Brands?

Case? Brand?

Monitor/s? Brand/s?

Keyboard/Mouse? Brand/s?

Speaker/Headset? Brand?

Cooling? Water? Brand?

Overclocking?

I know this is a lot to ask of anyone, but any help would be greatly appreciated, not that much of a tech noob, but haven't kept on top of it as of late, ohh and if I've left anything out or have overlooked anything then please feel free to correct me, any feedback will be welcomed

Cheers Guys/Gals

Peace

I would love nothing more than to purchase myself a gaming PC and a copy of arma 3, money isn't really an issue as budget is £1500/£2000 minimum, not boasting :( would love some feedback on a setup that could run this game at absolute maximum settings on everything (Ultra) no corners cut lol, maximum resolution, maximum view/draw distance and at no less than 60FPS? Regardless of load? Is or would this be achievable?

I was thinking Intel i5/i7 maybe later CPU (7970k) is it?

Dual or Quad SLI nVidia GTX 670/680/690 or Titans GPU/s

Motherboard? Brand?

DDR3 RAM 16/32/64GB Memory? Brand?

SSDD and HDD sizes? Brand? Samsung SSDD? Seagate Barracuda/ Western Digital best one? 7200RPM

500/550/750/800/1000/1200/1500WATT PSU? Brand?

Sound Card? Brand?

Disk Drives? Brands?

Case? Brand?

Monitor/s? Brand/s?

Keyboard/Mouse? Brand/s?

Speaker/Headset? Brand?

Cooling? Water? Brand?

Overclocking?

I know this is a lot to ask of anyone, but any help would be greatly appreciated, not that much of a tech noob, but haven't kept on top of it as of late, ohh and if I've left anything out or have overlooked anything then please feel free to correct me, any feedback will be welcomed

Cheers Guys/Gals

Peace

Most people seem to be saying maximum settings 60 fps is utterly impossible.

Anyways I don't know a ton about super specs but I do know a bit about peripherals. Hp Zr24w is a great 1920x1200 16:10 IPS screen if you want one... good for all purposes except 120 hz gaming which it does not support.

Microsoft bluetooth 6000 keyboard is nice keyboard if you want a laptoppy keyboard. Nice, bouncy buttons and pretty silent typing. If you want you can replace your keyboard with a keypad like the Logitech G13 or Razer Nostromo.

As far as mice go the Logitech G9 and older Razers are classic but Saitek Cyborg Rats and the Razer Ouroboros are a growing breed nowadays too with plenty of extra buttons and redundant scroll wheels galore.

It's hard to recommend something not knowing what you've got though. If you've got a ball mouse or already got a G9x makes a difference.

@FCK1T, I don't know an absolute ton about computers like that guy who wrote an essay to that one dude arguing dumb points who can't spell awhile back in the comments (you follow me?) but here's what I can tell you:

Holy fuck a 7970k is not even in existence.

On the reals though, for a processor- this has to be one of the top processors I've seen: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel+-+Core%26%23153%3B+i7-3930K+6-Core+3.2GHz+Processor/4734431.p?id=1218518551230&skuId=4734431#tab=reviews

^that is an intel i7 3930k 6-core 3.2GHz processor, really beefy

As far as a GPU, I would probably go with GTX Titan or 690, although I've heard bad things about the Kepler architecture used in the 600 series as compared to the Fermi architecture in the 500 series, had something to do with limited bandwidth

Motherboards I know nothing about but it shouldn't really matter as long as it supports your processor and doesn't result in high temps (heat kills)

As far as RAM there's no conceivable need in my mind to go above 32GB of it, 16GB should get it done for pretty much every game ever made to this point.

For hard drives, definitely get an SSD for your OS and things like ARMA that you want really really fast read/write times on, for your other computer files/less important shit tacking on a bigger HDD for storage wouldn't be a bad idea.

PSUs I have no clue about, all I can offer here is don't put your computer in a box. Give it some space, I have always put 4 wooden blocks on the corners on my computers to elevate them and give them some breathing room.

Sound cards, no help from me here once more...

Monitors, I mean they shouldn't be that hard to decide on. Make sure it has good resolution and some nice features and plug-ins so you can do all sorts of fancy shit with it.

Turtle Beach makes insane head sets, never had a bad experience with any of them. They give you independent game volume and chat volume controls and last forever as well as being very comfortable, incredibly sharp in the actual audio department, and you get a lot out of your dollar (or pound) for those things.

That's all I can offer, talk to a pro and don't fall for dumbass marketing shit.

Have fun building the biggest rig in the history of rigs,

averagejoe620

@FCK1T

A budget of 2000 pounds ain't enough for a complete system to run Arma 3 on Ultra settings and view distance you describe. You would have to double or triple your budget at the very least before you can think of an Intel i7 3930K processor and Nvidia GTX Titan graphics card. However, if you settle for great performance with perhaps sometimes reducing object view distance and/or AA, a configuration with GTX 680 SLI is probably as best as it can get at this moment.

Increasing the amount of graphic cards beyond two for triple- or quad-SLI is not only more expensive, but can even become slower than SLI/CrossfireX due to bad support. I would go for something like this, for which I go with an arguable choice for monitors. You can choose anything you prefer and depending on specific needs (if you edit photo's you might prefer monitors with an IPS screen for example), but I've selected a 29-inch monitor IPS at this moment with a resolution of 2560*1080 pixels. That basically means that the height is not increased, but instead of the 16:9 aspect ratio you get with Full HD, this screen has an aspect ratio of 21:9. Cinema screens have the same aspect ratio, as this ratio has been determined to be as close to equal to the natural aspect ratio we humans can perceive with our eyes. For the immersion it should be great and you can watch cinema movies without black borders (you'll have to adjust position of subtitles in movies however), but it's a bit of a controversy because for slightly more money you can also get 2560*1440 pixels which gives more vertical work space. Also, a normal 24" monitor with a Full HD resolution is also a good choice. As for the other peripherals, a mouse, speakers, headset and keyboard is up to your own preference, next to the CPU-cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 412S is a good all-rounder, but you can either go more quiet or for more cooling).

[table]

[tr]

[td]Amount[/td]

[td]Product[/td]

[td]Price[/td]

[td]Subtotal[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]ASRock Z77 Extreme4[/td]

[td]£98.74[/td]

[td]£98.74[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5[/td]

[td]£403.52[/td]

[td]£807.04[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Corsair Professional AX650 650W[/td]

[td]£110.02[/td]

[td]£110.02[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Dell UltraSharp U2913WM[/td]

[td]£419.12[/td]

[td]£419.12[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Intel Core i7 3770K[/td]

[td]£234.73[/td]

[td]£234.73[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 XMP quad kit[/td]

[td]£81.96[/td]

[td]£81.96[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Lian Li PC-7HX[/td]

[td]£82.99[/td]

[td]£82.99[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB[/td]

[td]£171.50[/td]

[td]£171.50[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB[/td]

[td]£64.33[/td]

[td]£64.33[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]9 products[/td]

[td]Import as your own wish list[/td]

[td]Total[/td]

[td]£1,666.91[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

@averagejoe620

although I've heard bad things about the Kepler architecture used in the 600 series as compared to the Fermi architecture in the 500 series, had something to do with limited bandwidth
Some budget cards had a smaller memory bandwidth meaning the performance was limited by going to resolutions higher than 1920*1080 pixels or combining these cards in SLI, while Kepler had somewhat larger memory bandwidth for graphic cards in this segment (which is unnecessary in a budget segment) . Edited by Bravo_Two_Zeroq

Will this run Arma 3 well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance

should be a great system for arma3, very close to the top possible performance and still reasonably priced.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

;2361844']

This is a DIRECT quote from a swedish

retail:

The new integrated graphics' date=' HD Graphics 4000, involves a

substantial increase in performance over its predecessor and

works great except for the most demanding games.

[/quote']

That's a retail site, not a tech site that does tests, they're just trying to sell stuff.

choosing hardware for arma is pretty simple, does the budget fit a z77+3570K, go for that, if not, FX6300.

If you can stick it out I'd wait for haswell, it's a few months away, will perform better than 3570k at a similar price.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

You cant max out arma 3 and get reasonable performance. On any rig.

there are very slight benefits in arma with that beastly cpu, but a much cheaper 3570K will perform almost as good for a fraction of the price. Arma has a main thread that's always the bottleneck on quadcores, so the pace is pretty much dictated by per-core performance. Sometimes the main thread has to wait a little for secondary threads, those waittimes will be shorter on the sixcore, leading to slightly higher performance.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Do you guys think I would get better performance if I upgraded my processor to an i5 or i7? Say anything under about $300.

Yes, but I'd wait for the haswell series cpu, probably coming in june.

System is unfortunately unbalanced. Processor is chosen 'too fast' (read: too expensive) to impress customers along with 16 GB DDR3 which are often specifications unknowing customers look at, while graphics card shouldn't be called graphics card in the first place (my AMD Radeon HD 4890 released in 2010 is faster which dates multiple generations back). Having said this, assembled systems are hard to beat in price if you also look at the additional software provided and services (fully installed and assembled system), although there are few balanced systems out there as it would mean turning down on processor and memory. If you invest into a GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost you've got a decent graphics card in a decent system, although it probably also requires a new power supply.

On a budget I would recommend something more like this, should be available in assembled state for around 750 pounds:

[table]

[tr]

[td]Amount[/td]

[td]Product[/td]

[td]Price[/td]

[td]Subtotal[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Antec Three Hundred Two[/td]

[td]£55.49[/td]

[td]£55.49[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]ASRock Z77 Extreme4[/td]

[td]£98.74[/td]

[td]£98.74[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Cooler Master Hyper 412S[/td]

[td]£25.81[/td]

[td]£25.81[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB[/td]

[td]£137.82[/td]

[td]£137.82[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Intel Core i5 3570K[/td]

[td]£164.00[/td]

[td]£164.00[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Kingston ValueRam 8GB DDR3-1600 CL11[/td]

[td]£43.84[/td]

[td]£43.84[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]LG GH24NS95[/td]

[td]£14.00[/td]

[td]£14.00[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB[/td]

[td]£64.33[/td]

[td]£64.33[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]XFX Pro Series 550W Core Edition[/td]

[td]£44.59[/td]

[td]£44.59[/td]

[/tr][tr]

[td]9 products[/td]

[td]Import as your own wish list[/td]

[td]Total[/td]

[td]£648.62[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Edited by Bravo_Two_Zeroq

Hi All

ARMA Noob South African here, admittedly Im not a PC buff so a bit of help from the more experienced community will hopefully get me on track, a friend will build the pc for me and I hope the below is enough to play the game at high or ultra settings.

Intel Core i5 3330 Quad Core CPU

Main Board MSI B75 LGA1155 DDR3

8 Gig DDr3 1333

2 TB Seagate Sata Hard drive

ATX 600W Midi Tower

DVD RW Reader Writer

Geforce GTX630 4gig GDDR5 128bit VGA Card

Hope to see you in Wasteland once I have my rig sorted.

Thanks for the reply, what would you recomend to set it up to play high ? What's the oppinion for the rest of the system.

Forget high settings with GeForce GT 630, it's bad.

Intel Core i3 2310m 2.10ghz CPU

Windows 7 home premium

6 gb RAM(1333mhz)

Intel HD Graphics Family

Intel Core i3 2310m 2.10ghz CPU

Windows 7 home premium

6 gb RAM(1333mhz)

Intel HD Graphics Family

No, not with an integrated GPU...

Yay!

My reply might have been a bit short, but for a comparison you can look here and here to get a rough idea of how it performs. When you compare it with the basic GPU found in modern Intel processors, it looks like this:

15252_i5-3570-juegos720P.jpg

For a gaming rig specialized for Arma with the goal of achieving higher settings with decent framerates I would think of anything around a GeForce GTX 650 Ti or faster (or AMD Radeon HD 7770). With slower graphic cards playing Arma 3 is still possible, although you will have to settle down on expectations. The Core i5 3330 is a decent quad core processor for a budget, motherboard doesn't matter as long as it has the features you like and 8 GB DDR3 is more than sufficient. The 600 watt power supply is a bit overkill however, for a GT 630 about 400 watt would be enough and for a GTX 650 Ti around 450-500 watt is sufficient, although I reckon the supply comes with the ATX case and having more power will not hurt your system (only lowers efficiency a bit).

Low settings?
I'm afraid it won't even start...

Yay!

You can always try to get your hands on a free lite invite, see if it runs at 800x600 or something.

Hey guys,

I've been an enthusiastic player of the ArmA series ever since OFP/Cold War Assault back in 2001, and the release of the ArmA 3 Alpha has been really exciting. I would love to be able to get playing ArmA 3 preferably on high or ultra settings with a smooth/playavle framerate, and so have a question about the hardware updates I'll need to make. Apologies if what I ask seems odd, I'm not experienced with computers. These are my current specs:

- ATI Radeon HD 7770 1GB

- AMD FX-Six Core 6300 Processor 3.50Ghz

- 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

- Windows 7 Home OS

With what I can afford at the moment I am looking at updating to a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 650Ti 2GB DDR5 PCI-E. Is this a good choice for ArmA 3, or are there any other suggestions? Would this card run ArmA 3 okay with my current processor or am I going to be looking to update that too?

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for the trouble :)

Not worth it Lorenzo, the increase in frame rate would be marginal compared to your costs. Either invest in a substantial improvement, or wait longer. There is not much difference between HD 7770 and GTX 650 Ti and as for a processor upgrade, you would be looking at a new mainboard and processor which will also not yield absolutely shocking results, only marginal at best. If you do want to upgrade your system, a SSD is probably the best investment right now if you don't have one yet, while the other options would cost somewhere between $100-$250 for hardly noticeable differences.

Been helping out a little bit with some stuff here and there but I'm a bit concerned about my graphics card.

i7 3630QM

6 MB L3 cache

8GB DDR3 RAM (worth it to go up to 16GB, can top out at 32GB if needed although that seems crazy)

GTX 670MX 3GB GDDR5

here's the actual laptop: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---17.3%26%2334%3B-Laptop---8GB-Memory---1TB-Hard-Drive---Black/7674057.p;tab=reviews?id=1218858193064&skuId=7674057#tab=specifications

Am I going to need a better graphics card to run on high settings or will this suffice

Hi!

I have this kind multiplayer problem. My game runs under 20fps even all low settings at multiplayer. Singleplayer tutorial and events runs over 60fps all maxed to ultra settings. Resolution what i am using is 1980x1080.

Is it somekind of bug?

My computer specs are

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/3/2013, 10:05:38

Machine name: JUUTAS-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)

Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/23/10 15:49:46 Ver: 08.00.15

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 B55 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 12286MB RAM

Page File: 2545MB used, 22025MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1200&SUBSYS_838B1043&REV_A1

Display Memory: 4050 MB

Dedicated Memory: 978 MB

Shared Memory: 3071 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: VE247

Monitor Id: ACI2493

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.1422 (English)

Driver Version: 9.18.13.1422

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 3/15/2013 08:53:06, 17990800 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_104383C0&REV_1003

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6010 (English)

Date and Size: 12/22/2009 20:07:22, 2229280 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0xF1F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Default Sound Playback: No

Default Voice Playback: No

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_104383C0&REV_1003

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6010 (English)

Date and Size: 12/22/2009 20:07:22, 2229280 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

HW Accel Level: Basic

Cap Flags: 0xF1F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

So please tell me what to change or do that my game would run little bit smoother.

And i bought Digital Deluxe Edition from Steam.

Latency is alright all the time.

Thank You!