Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Try and OC that CPU a bit...

Yay!

I did have it OC'd at 4.0GHz for a bit, but it didn't help at all, I get the same results at stock clock as I did overclocked.

;2360200']Maybe you can explain abit more about

the "speed" you say these other props

lack..

What do you mean they arent fast?

What measurment do you use?

And how is this displayed when the

normal mortals look for a CPU...

What should WE look for...

I´m playing A2 on normal specs

with a AMD phenom 9500 quad 2.2ghz' date='

and i get som 25-30 fps...[/quote']

The most important thing for arma is per-core performance. a core2quad or phenomII performs quite poorly in this catagory. a phenom 9500 is even worse.

If you want to get a good idea of how cpu's perform in arma it's best to look for an arma cpu test and benchmarks of older (not that well multithreaded) games.

even semi irrelevant benchmarks like cinebench singlethreaded give a reasonable indication of performance between cpu's

My question was in regard to the 2gig 7750 HD @DDR3 speeds. I thought my 3.3 ghz i5 processor would be just fine.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

OK... Thinking about a different build...

What about --

This is a barebones combo -- I will update to a SSD at some point.

Intel Core 3.4 i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor,

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Z77 Motherboard,

G.Skill DDR3 16GB Memory,

Seagate 2TB HDD,

Apex ATX Mid-Tower Case,

Apex 500W PSU SuperCombo

Now; what GPU $150-$300 would complete this build?

16GB of RAM are a bit of an overkill in my opinion...

GPU could be a Radeon HD 79xx?

Yay!

My question was in regard to the 2gig 7750 HD @DDR3 speeds. I thought my 3.3 ghz i5 processor would be just fine.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

OK... Thinking about a different build...

What about --

This is a barebones combo -- I will update to a SSD at some point.

Intel Core 3.4 i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor,

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Z77 Motherboard,

G.Skill DDR3 16GB Memory,

Seagate 2TB HDD,

Apex ATX Mid-Tower Case,

Apex 500W PSU SuperCombo

Now; what GPU $150-$300 would complete this build?

Should be good, not sure about the "apex 500W" psu, probably powerfull enough, but I doubt it'll last long if you really want to load it to 500W.

anyway, I'd get a 7850 2GB or something faster. 7850's have very good price/performance, performance/watt and are still reasonably high end (which is why sony chose it for the ps4 probably)

Well, I will probably look at a better PS. I would prefer to combine the i5 with a NVIDIA combo; I was thinking about a GTX 660 2gig DDR5. It's about $220....still, I thought it might be nice.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Woul 600 watt do?

Hi all,

So while I was on active duty in the Army, my computer knowledge got rusty. I really want to try out the ARMA series, but have never had a laptop powerful enough to. Does anybody know of a good laptop for under $1,000 that can run ARMA III really well? Whatever help I could get would be awesome.

Thanks!

[Edit: when I say really well, I mean I want to try to max out the game as much as possible]

Edited by AlphaNinerTwo

Hi all,

So while I was on active duty in the Army, my computer knowledge got rusty. I really want to try out the ARMA series, but have never had a laptop powerful enough to. Does anybody know of a good laptop for under $1,000 that can run ARMA III really well? Whatever help I could get would be awesome.

Thanks!

[Edit: when I say really well, I mean I want to try to max out the game as much as possible]

You won't max it out on a top of the line desktop, let alone a notebook, so in short no.

The good news is that you can probably find a sub $1000.00 laptop that will handle it on low-medium (depending on Resolution, settings, view distance etc).

Unfortunately, as far as laptops go, it's when you start adding a good Video card (or an SSD) that the price suddenly takes a substantial leap.

If you can push $1000, this will give you medium plus settings:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77100&vpn=NP700G7C%2DT01CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1334

If its got to be around $1000.00:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76921&vpn=9S7%2D16GA11%2D256&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1393

I've got a Sammy and an MSI so I can vouch for the quality of both - especially MSI, they are a top rate company and they have a great support board.

Hope that helps.

PS: You could go under $1000 but then you are going to get Nvidia 650Ms etc and as much as they will play the game - you probably won't be happy.

PPS: Another good thing about those 2 (and most modern gaming laptops) is that it is easy to swap out the Hard drive for an SSD(s) which will make loading/streaming etc much faster.

With the Samsung I listed, you can remove one of the 500GB HDDs and put in a 128GB SSD for example. That way you have an HDD for storage and an SSD for system and games (or RAID0 2 SSDs or whatever).

Edited by BangTail

From my experience,fx 8350 is very great CPU for its pricing and I was very satisfied the way it performed in arma 3.other games like red orchestra 2,world of tanks,grfs,mohwf,far cry 3,it was killing it in a good way.so yeah get 8350 if ur not flexible with money,if ur then get i5 3570k

Not really answers my questions though...

What should we look for when buying

processors..??

If im standing in the shop, comparing

an X and a X...Two diffrent but almost

same pricing...HOW do i know IN THE

store wich one is faster...

You won't max it out on a top of the line desktop, let alone a notebook, so in short no.

The good news is that you can probably find a sub $1000.00 laptop that will handle it on low-medium (depending on Resolution, settings, view distance etc).

Unfortunately, as far as laptops go, it's when you start adding a good Video card (or an SSD) that the price suddenly takes a substantial leap.

If you can push $1000, this will give you medium plus settings:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77100&vpn=NP700G7C%2DT01CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1334

If its got to be around $1000.00:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76921&vpn=9S7%2D16GA11%2D256&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1393

I've got a Sammy and an MSI so I can vouch for the quality of both - especially MSI, they are a top rate company and they have a great support board.

Hope that helps.

PS: You could go under $1000 but then you are going to get Nvidia 650Ms etc and as much as they will play the game - you probably won't be happy.

Could you tell me what is the model number of the laptop in the second link? The links are broken and I can't find that model on the site. I've heard great things about MSI though... would it be possible for me to pull Medium-quality gaming out of that one though? I'm trying to keep in budget as much as I can but my currently laptop is from '07... yeah, it's about that time.

Could you tell me what is the model number of the laptop in the second link? The links are broken and I can't find that model on the site. I've heard great things about MSI though... would it be possible for me to pull Medium-quality gaming out of that one though? I'm trying to keep in budget as much as I can but my currently laptop is from '07... yeah, it's about that time.

Links work fine for me bud.

You can probably pull off medium settings with that machine's resolution in A3 (You might have to play around with the settings a bit).

Model#: MSI GE60 0ND-256US

Cheers :)

I think I'll be upgrading to the 8350 from my phenom II 965, its had a pretty good life, I'll chuck it on ebay and rebate half my cost for the new CPU anyhow.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Best budget gaming laptop for under $1000 (by far):

Lenovo Y580 (i7 3630QM, GTX 660M)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42081

Most laptops (like the ones listed above) with similar specs cost at least $300 more than that one.

Best gaming laptop for slightly over $1000

MSI GX60 (A10-4600M, mediocre processor, might struggle a bit with ARMA but the Radeon 7970M would annihilate everything else)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42874

Edited by ruhtraeel

;2360522']Not really answers my questions though...

What should we look for when buying

processors..??

If im standing in the shop' date=' comparing

an X and a X...Two diffrent but almost

same pricing...HOW do i know IN THE

store wich one is faster...[/quote']

you dont, you have to make up your mind before going to the shop.

Best budget gaming laptop for under $1000 (by far):

Lenovo Y580 (i7 3630QM, GTX 660M)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42081

Most laptops (like the ones listed above) with similar specs cost at least $300 more than that one.

Best gaming laptop for slightly over $1000

MSI GX60 (A10-4600M, mediocre processor, might struggle a bit with ARMA but the Radeon 7970M would annihilate everything else)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX42874

The GX60 is an ok choice (although it is an AMD CPU and chipset - I'd stick with Intel personally) and $50.00 cheaper at NCIX but avoid Lenovo like the MFing plague, they are awful.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77720&vpn=9S7%2D16FK11%2D021&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1424

Edited by BangTail

My specs are:

CPU - Intel i5 3570k (stock fan).

GPU - MSI GTX 660 Ti OC V1.

RAM - Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance.

PSU - Corsair HX750W Professional Series.

Motherboard - Asus P8B75-M LE.

My specs are:

CPU - Intel i5 3570k (stock fan).

GPU - MSI GTX 660 Ti OC V1.

RAM - Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz Vengeance.

PSU - Corsair HX750W Professional Series.

Motherboard - Asus P8B75-M LE.

No, not even the highest end PCs can max out A2 - let alone A3.

No, not even the highest end PCs can max out A2 - let alone A3.

Then what settings should i use for decent fps?

Then what settings should i use for decent fps?

It's really a case of playing with the settings until you get that compromise between FPS and detail that you find acceptable (different for everyone).

I'd start out with a 2K view distance and medium settings and see how you go from there :)

Use FXAA/SMAA as opposed to hardware AA.

Hardware AA is a big hit on performance

It's really a case of playing with the settings until you get that compromise between FPS and detail that you find acceptable (different for everyone).

I'd start out with a 2K view distance and medium settings and see how you go from there :)

Use FXAA/SMAA as opposed to hardware AA.

Hardware AA is a big hit on performance

Alright, thanks! :)

Alright, thanks! :)
You may already have noticed it, but keep in mind FXAA makes the image a lot crisper than no PPAA or SMAA...

Yay!