Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

way, way too expensive for such a rig.
True, I hadn't notice the price...

I payed a very similar configuration ~700$ one year ago... Where are you buying it?

Yay!

A bit of a blunt answer? I assume that you have assumed that IceCold has limited knowledge and have given him an answer as such?

Because clearly an i7 3770k is going to be faster than any i5. The difference in gaming may be minimal, but it is still a stronger CPU. The real question is whether the additional price for an i7 is worth it?

If you are going to be doing any video or photo editing, then surely you will want an i7.

(A 3770k is pretty cheap anyway)

I 3570K is fine for video or photo editing, i7 might be worth it if you do it semi-profesionaly.

I 3570K is fine for video or photo editing, i7 might be worth it if you do it semi-profesionaly.

Yep this is true.

In the end it is down to user preference.

Nope, I'd recommend you get the i5. Preferably the 3570K with a decent Z77 board to keep the overclocking option open.

Are there any tests done showing that Arma2-3 doesnt use hyper threading?

True, I hadn't notice the price...

I payed a very similar configuration ~700$ one year ago... Where are you buying it?

Yay!

NOOO were did you buy yours..?? :o

Im from Sweden, have that in mind...

This is the place i buy stuff. http://www.inet.se

Most deliverys within 2 days...

A bit of a blunt answer? I assume that you have assumed that IceCold has limited knowledge and have given him an answer as such?

Because clearly an i7 3770k is going to be faster than any i5. The difference in gaming may be minimal, but it is still a stronger CPU. The real question is whether the additional price for an i7 is worth it?

If you are going to be doing any video or photo editing, then surely you will want an i7.

(A 3770k is pretty cheap anyway)

Yes the i7 is alot faster at many work related tasks but this computer will be a pure gaming machine (i already have a workstation). So its pure arma performance I'm interested in and esp. the lovley arma3.

In know the general consencus is that i7 with its hyperthreading is useless for gaming but i have recently seen multiplayer tests on large 64 player servers with battlefield 3 that show large improvements with i7.

Thats why i am asking.

;2348457']NOOO were did you buy yours..?? :o

Im from Sweden' date=' have that in mind...

This is the place i buy stuff. [url']http://www.inet.se[/url]

Most deliverys within 2 days...

A small computer shop in Northern Italy... XD

Yay!

Well, i guess it would be to expensive to go there and buy it...

And using the Pricechecking in swedish, that is the price

that makes most sense here...To bad for me.

PC: But im glad it will run A3...

It will not run well. Could use a more powerfull cpu.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2306247

The FX 41xx series doesn't perform well for some reason, the 4300 has an updated memory interface so it performs a lot better.

Note this test is without AI, so actually not that dependant on the more complicated cpu operations. In those tests the intel sandy and ivy seem to do much better, at least in previous arma titles, not seen a good test for a3 yet.

Realise the FX4xxx series is a budget cpu, you can get it for slightly over 100,- eu where I live. Ghz is only a way to compare cpu's of the same architecture, you can clock a pentium 4 to 4Ghz, still performs like shit.

After opinion on upgrade path.

I have i5 2500k @3.3ghz (no overclock)

GTX560Ti 1Gb (no overclock)

Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD

It's clear from alpha that either MP with lots of players/NPC in one area is poorly optimized or my PC is just not up to the task.

So my question is would I get more out of a new graphics card or more from overclocking my CPU to something like 4.5ghz?

You'd get most from overclocking the cpu, especially minimum fps should go up.

After opinion on upgrade path.

I have i5 2500k @3.3ghz (no overclock)

GTX560Ti 1Gb (no overclock)

Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD

It's clear from alpha that either MP with lots of players/NPC in one area is poorly optimized or my PC is just not up to the task.

So my question is would I get more out of a new graphics card or more from overclocking my CPU to something like 4.5ghz?

Yes, I gained about 10-15 FPS going from stock 3.6Ghz to overclocked 4.3Ghz...

Yay!

Gawddamn...Hmmm ok...

Ill have to look into that then...

This the: AMD FX-4300 4C 3.8Ghz Black Edition

Would that be a better choice?

Or maby go the FX6xxx series...

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]

Yes the i7 is alot faster at many work related tasks but this computer will be a pure gaming machine (i already have a workstation). So its pure arma performance I'm interested in and esp. the lovley arma3.

In know the general consencus is that i7 with its hyperthreading is useless for gaming but i have recently seen multiplayer tests on large 64 player servers with battlefield 3 that show large improvements with i7.

Thats why i am asking.

As far as we know, more than 4 cores are essentially wasted on A2 (we'll have to wait for the final product where A3 is concerned).

In BF3, there is clear evidence that more cores are better, especially when there are a lot of players.

This is a trend that I expect to see increasing as we move into 8/10/12 cores and beyond.

yeah, multiplayer bf3 with object detail at ultra is a real cpu killer

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-3-PC-221396/Specials/Battlefield-3-Multiplayer-Tipps-CPU-Benchmark-1039293/

there's a small advantage to the i7's, but is 7% faster worth 50% more? if you overclock the i7's only have a 5% advantage, maybe even no advantage if you can clock higher with HT off.

I have a sneaking suspicion the 39730K is hitting the gpu bottleneck, or maybe it doesnt really scale that well over 4 cores, the 6300 and 8350 perform pretty much on par and the 4300 isnt even that far behind the 6300.

that 4300 isn't a bad chip btw, outperforms the more expensive i3's and is overclockable. Not very efficient at full load if you do that, but hey, how often is that?

Edited by Leon86

Okaj then, 4300 it will be...

And with AM3+ motherboard, it

might be possible to get an even

better when the wallet allows..

cant you get a 3570k and a 7850 for roughly the same budget?

I just bought fx 83xx stock and it is outperforming fx 6300 oc that I had before.very satisfied.

Very playable on a Lenovo Y500 - i5-3210M - GT650M GDDR5 - 5400RPM hard drive

I think people should stop crying the game is not playable. My laptop also plays ArmA 2 pretty good on high settings even better than my 2500K.

An i5 2.5GHz will simply do fine.

SSD is not a necessity as well. I will get one in the end anyways.

I still have to test ArmA 3 properly instead of a few seconds.

Also going to test PCSX2 with my SOCOM games to test my CPU performance.

Don't waste on overclocking it's pointless. I really haven't seen a difference in the past.

Hi. A true rookie here.. I am currently looking to build a PC. I've asked a friend of mine to help me build it because I have know idea what stuff is! Anyway here are the essentials of the build my friend proposed me to get:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC, Windforce 2X, 2048 MB DDR5, DP

Intel Core i5-3330 3,0 GHz (Ivy Bridge)

Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 - 8GB Kit

I hope this can do it.. I am not looking for 50000000 fps on megatron settings. But something decent atleast..

Cheers

@freshprince

maybe you could get an i5-3350p for the same price, slightly faster, should run fine with either.

the only significant upgrade that isn't insanly more expensive is a z77 board an a 3570K, because it allows overclocking.

gpu is fine as well, arma usually isn't that heavy on the gpu.

Ok thank you for a fast response! I'll look into it.

Wow the PC/ArmA gaming community is so friendly!