Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Will it run ? or what can i do to make it run better ?

ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @3ghz

4GB DDR2 Ram

Windows 7 64bit

I am having fairly good FPS in singleplayer showcase, however multiplayer is really really bad. and it crashed quite often.

I ve been playing around with the setting but all low settings and doesnt seem any faster than medium settings.

any recommendations on what settings to use where ?

I'd suggest waiting for Intel's new Haswell and Nvidia or AMD's upcoming GTX 700 or HD 8000 series GPUs.

Haswell is around April and the new GPU series aren't far too.

Yeah but what if he wants to play Arma 3 now :p

Haswell might be interesting but I'm not sold for an upgrade yet -the 700 series looks a ways off on the other hand-2014?

Billz4money you can certainly build/buy a very good pc capable of running Arma 3 for that price.

I am having fairly good FPS in singleplayer showcase, however multiplayer is really really bad. and it crashed quite often.

Well, a new pc isn't going to help much in that case. A pretty widespread problem, although sometimes there's a good server.

Regarding Haswell, your best bet, (If you have limited money, like most of us :)), is probably to wait on what is going to happen with Ivy Bridge-E. At the moment Sandy Bridge-E is Intel's flagship extreme series, and there is a lot of uncertainty as to whether or not Ivy Bridge-E will ever be released to replace SB-E, or if they will skip IB-E all together and go straight for Haswell-E at the end of the year.

For now, you would do well to buy mid range i5 or an i7 (for about $300), and let that keep you going until we know more about the the new CPU's.

Of course, if you really want the best of the best now, the current I7-3930k will last plenty of time, but it will be frustrating if a new line of CPU's comes out just a few months after you build a high end rig.

It's a really tough place to be right now, you can go for a budget system to last until the new CPU's are released, or go all out and then have to splash the cash again in a few months.

If you want a gaming rig there's no point in getting any socket 2011 stuff.

The haswell coming out soon is the mainstream line, that's where you can get great performance for a decent price, like socket 1155 is now.

If you want a gaming rig there's no point in getting any socket 2011 stuff.

There won't be any new E processors until late this year - next year.

And there may not be any point in having SB-E/IB-E/H-E for ArmA 2/3 but other engines do take advantage of more than 4 cores (as I've demonstrated before) so probably best to stop making that assertion Leon, it's blatantly incorrect.

I agree that you can get great performance from cheaper CPUs, but with Frostbite 2 for example, the hex cores actually do show advantages over the quads, sure you pay a premium for them but saying that there is 'no point' to them where gaming is concerned is wrong.

Edited by BangTail

I'm just generalising a bit for the 99.99% of people that dont have 2 titans.

I'm just generalising a bit for the 99.99% of people that dont have 2 titans.

Nah dude, while most of your advice is spot on - you tend to write off the enthusiast market.

Secondly, we were not discussing my GPUs, we were discussing CPUs, so let's stay on topic.

I'm not disagreeing that you can get great performance for a great value - I see your point.

I'm simply stating that enthusiast components do provide an advantage and should not be written off for the simple reason that they cost more :)

Edited by BangTail

Hello guys i'm planning to buy a gainward gtx680 4gb vram, does someone of you owns this GPU ?

If someone has this one, how many fps do you have at video settings set on ultra ?

thanx in advance,

i just wanna know if it's a worth buy before to spend 500 euros and maybe find a nice disappointment

actually i have 2x gtx 560 (non Ti) 2gb vram each from palit

my average fps with all maxed out is around 20 - 30 fps

EDIT: on just 1 monitor 1080p

My system

I7-950 @ 3.91 ghz

RAID 0 2x HDD WD 500 Gb Caviar green

24 gb ram @ 1600 mhz CL9 corsair vengance (sometimes i use RAM disk, this is the reason for this amount of ram cheaper than an SSD and faster)

mobo ASUS sabertooth x58

Edited by Simon1279
additional infos system specs

Thanx for the answer but on arma 2 with my actual HW config made exclusively for Arma 2 , i had 40 - 60 fps,(40 on huge coops in Chernarus)with lastest 1.62 patch (no beta) and looking for Arma 3 Alpha small CPU usage (around 40%) means Arma 3 alpha is way more optimized than Arma 2 regarding CPU, after lots of performance testing (Arma 2 - VBS2 2.0 - Arma 3 Alpha) conclusion on my rig: actually the GPU is my main low fps guilt, I7-950 at almost 4ghz ain't a dumb CPU not so much different from an I7 3770k, we're talking about a difference around a 5-7% in overall CPU performance @ 4 ghz

Edited by Simon1279

Please use this thread for all Arma 3 hardware/specifications discussion. :)

For general hardware discussion we have a thread here.

Specs-

CPU---Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

GPU---EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P4-2652-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB

Motherboard---ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM----8GB of Corsair Vengeance

PSU---CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX

Case---COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel

OS--- Windows 7 Home Premium

As you might of already suspected, I am somewhat new to the whole realm of PC gaming. I have always desired to build a

PC in the past but never had the money. Now with the recent 'release' of Arma 3, I saved up enough money to construct a pretty decent PC. If you have any Pros/Cons on any of the parts, (or just any thoughts), please don't hesitate to reply. Thank you for your time!

Specs-

CPU---Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

GPU---EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P4-2652-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB

Motherboard---ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM----8GB of Corsair Vengeance

PSU---CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX

Case---COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel

OS--- Windows 7 Home Premium

As you might of already suspected, I am somewhat new to the whole realm of PC gaming. I have always desired to build a

PC in the past but never had the money. Now with the recent 'release' of Arma 3, I saved up enough money to construct a pretty decent PC. If you have any Pros/Cons on any of the parts, (or just any thoughts), please don't hesitate to reply. Thank you for your time!

Looks decent but I would try and up that video card a tier or two if possible

Triv I am at work at the moment, but give me about 3 hours and I'll send you a PM to help you on your way.

You really want to make sure you get the right system for you, if you buy one and regret it, I imagine it will be a really bad feeling.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

What's your budget mate?

What about my specs

I also have windows 8

Model #

Item Description

A79-8320

AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 Eight-Core 3.5GHz AM3+ Processor

AM3+, Eight-Core, 3.5GHz, 16MB. 125W, Unlocked

U12-41531

OEM 700W Power Supply - ATX, 115/230V, Black Finish

N82E16814127667

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5

PCI Express 3.0x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

N82E16814127667

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5

PCI Express 3.0x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

N82E16820233371

CORSAIR 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Desktop Memory Model CMV8GX3M1A1600C11

N82E16820233371

CORSAIR 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Desktop Memory Model CMV8GX3M1A1600C11

N82E16813131877

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990X R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s

USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

O261-9802

OCZ Agility 4 AGTA-25SAT3-256G 256GB Internal Solid State Drive -

2.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6 Gbps, TRIM, Ndurance 2.0 Technology

TSD-3000AS2

Seagate ST3000 M001 Barracuda 7200.14 Hard Drive - 3TB, SATA III

(6G/s), 3.5", 7200RPM, 64MB

MY computer suggest settings like just below ultra like half the setting are ultra some are very high, would i be able to run ultra?

Edited by stevieshae
additional details

@stevieshae: I don't know much about AMD chips but you should be able to run Ultra no problem. Nice crossfire setup and everything looks decent :)\

Of course, many of us enthusiasts still suffer from FPS issues but I'm running all on Ultra nonetheless.

Im buying a new computer for arma3 soon and just wonder if an intel i7 with hyperthreading will benefit this game?

Nope, I'd recommend you get the i5. Preferably the 3570K with a decent Z77 board to keep the overclocking option open.

btw i just got amd fx 8350 and its working awesome on arma 3...

check this vid out..its shows amds 8350 doing really good on arma 2 compare to i5

Nope, I'd recommend you get the i5. Preferably the 3570K with a decent Z77 board to keep the overclocking option open.

A bit of a blunt answer? I assume that you have assumed that IceCold has limited knowledge and have given him an answer as such?

Because clearly an i7 3770k is going to be faster than any i5. The difference in gaming may be minimal, but it is still a stronger CPU. The real question is whether the additional price for an i7 is worth it?

If you are going to be doing any video or photo editing, then surely you will want an i7.

(A 3770k is pretty cheap anyway)

My upcoming venture:

Box: Coolermaster MElite K350

MotherB: MSI970A-G46SLI

Power: FSP650-80EGN 80GOLD

Proc: AMD FX4170 4.2ghz QuadC

Mem: 8GB CL9 1600mhz Veng

Graphix: XFX Radeo HD7870

OpS: Win 8 64bit

Estimate Price 1428$

Will it RUN:confused:

Yes, it definetly will...