Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Since Nvidia cards support PhysX, would they theoretically run the game faster than an AMD card?
Calculations would be made by the GPU and not the CPU, it then depends on the hardware itself if the game would run smoother or not...

Yay!

Physics is simulated ONLY on cpu. There are currently no features that would take advantage of the Nvidia's CUDA engine.

1) Ragdolls & general simulation is a CPU thing;

2) What you're talking about is fluff like EXTRAAAZZ particlezzz & dust puffs that Nvidia likes to advertise a lot. :)

The latter is not in the game. (yet?)

Ohhh okay, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.! :D

This may be of use to people: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgamegpu.ru%2Faction-%2F-fps-%2F-tps%2Farma-iii-alpha-test-gpu.html&act=url (sorry if its already been posted). Admittedly, they don't seem to have Ivy Bridge CPUs on the CPU section, but I'd guess they'd be about 10% faster than their Sandy Bridge equivalents.

This may be of use to people: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgamegpu.ru%2Faction-%2F-fps-%2F-tps%2Farma-iii-alpha-test-gpu.html&act=url (sorry if its already been posted). Admittedly, they don't seem to have Ivy Bridge CPUs on the CPU section, but I'd guess they'd be about 10% faster than their Sandy Bridge equivalents.

Cool link, it's a 2-page review in Russian, first page contains history & description of the engine, second one has the benchmarks & testbed.

For 1920x1080 res: http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/ARMA%20III%20Alpha/test/arma%203%201920%20h.jpg (157 kB)

& 2560x1600 - http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/ARMA%20III%20Alpha/test/arma%203%202560%20h.jpg (154 kB)

Antec P280, ATX, Zwart

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 720WATT

Intel Core i5-3570K, 3.40GHz, 6MB, S1155

Cooler Master Hyper 412S (CPU cooler)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS,s1155

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)

Asus GTX 660 DCII TOP, 2GB

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB

I don't plan to overclock anything until later depending on how the game runs on default system settings but I've read that should I want to the 3570K is good for overclocking. Multithreading doesn't seem to be implemented (well?) so I am not convinced that spending almost a €100 more on a 3770K is worth it. There aren't any bottlenecks are there? I don't care about maxing out all settings except for view distance and am not a fan of post processing nor max AA and AF settings so should I be able to play ArmA3 on high settings with a 1920X1080 res. with these specs?

Also I'm not sure about Windows 7 or 8 ... 8 seems to have some downsides like the Metro interface, but it is possible to go to desktop so from there it should be the same as Windows 7 but with a longer end-of-life left?

Intel Core i5 3210M 2,5 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache 2 cores, 4 threads Intel Turbo Boost 2 3,1 GHz

4 GB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2 GB GDDR5

1000 GB (5400 RPM) SATA

it's a bit reduced laptop Lenovo IdeaPad Y580

(standardly with 8GB DDR3 and i7 I guess)

sorry but your PhysX cpu vs. gpu talks pushed my question to ghost place

Anyone know what I can add to launch options that may increase performance? I think there was something like -Cpu=# I'm not sure.

sorry but your PhysX cpu vs. gpu talks pushed my question to ghost place

Should be VERY playable at 1366x768 with a mix of Standard/High settings. I'm running A3A on Standard preset w/ Asus S46C (i5-3317U, 4GB, GT 635M, Win 8).

Altho, you may get HDD stutter while streaming in textures with that 5400 RPM drive.

Calculations would be made by the GPU and not the CPU, it then depends on the hardware itself if the game would run smoother or not...

Yay!

that's not true, there is no gpu accelerated physX in arma afaik, doesnt matter if you have nvidia or amd.

that's not true, there is no gpu accelerated physX in arma afaik, doesnt matter if you have nvidia or amd.
My mistake then...

Yay!

Should be VERY playable

Great news then!

Hopefully there won't be any problems with my game so I'll enjoy it

Antec P280, ATX, Zwart

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 720WATT

Intel Core i5-3570K, 3.40GHz, 6MB, S1155

Cooler Master Hyper 412S (CPU cooler)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS,s1155

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB)

Asus GTX 660 DCII TOP, 2GB

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB

I don't plan to overclock anything until later depending on how the game runs on default system settings but I've read that should I want to the 3570K is good for overclocking. Multithreading doesn't seem to be implemented (well?) so I am not convinced that spending almost a €100 more on a 3770K is worth it. There aren't any bottlenecks are there? I don't care about maxing out all settings except for view distance and am not a fan of post processing nor max AA and AF settings so should I be able to play ArmA3 on high settings with a 1920X1080 res. with these specs?

Also I'm not sure about Windows 7 or 8 ... 8 seems to have some downsides like the Metro interface, but it is possible to go to desktop so from there it should be the same as Windows 7 but with a longer end-of-life left?

Yeah, the 3570K is the cpu to get for arma (and nearly every other game). Should run well. Win7 / Win8, doesn't really matter, win8 might be cheaper, start faster, I'd go for 8 if you're buying windows, if you still have a retail of 7 just save the money and use that.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard :confused:

System Model HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.20, 7/13/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 5.48 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.38 GB

Total Virtual Memory 11.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 7.64 GB

Page File Space 5.48 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard :confused:

System Model HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

System Type x64-based PC

Processor AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.20, 7/13/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 5.48 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.38 GB

Total Virtual Memory 11.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 7.64 GB

Page File Space 5.48 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

VGA is missing, and for what I'm seeing, it won't happen...

Yay!

You can try to run it with a free alpha lite invite next week. See if it sortof runs on very low settings.

VGA is missing, and for what I'm seeing, it won't happen...

He has an APU which is CPU + GPU. I have an APU in my laptop. It's a 1,5Ghz budget laptop that runs ArmA2 at reasonable framerates with low settings. You (HuntMan7) have a 1,5Ghz with boost to 2,4 ... if it even runs at all it will be a struggle I think :(

You could wait for the demo which will probably be released just before the game launches later in the year and see how it goes.

@ Leon86: Thanks!

Does anyone see any major flaws with the system I have in mind?

Edited by JdB

Does anyone see any major flaws with the system I have in mind?

You dont need a 700+ W psu for that kind of a system, I'd just get a good quality one.

http://tweakers.net/categorie/664/voedingen/producten/

xfx pro 550 which is most popular there will be fine, could also spend a little more on an 80+ gold or platinum unit, they're all good quality, some of them come with a 7 year warranty.

rest looks good, very similar to what I'd buy if I would be doing a build now.

Edited by Leon86

I'm pretty surprised it runs playably at all. Then again most of us are cpu bottlenecked even with only mediocre graphics cards.

You dont need a 700+ W psu for that kind of a system, I'd just get a good quality one.

Thanks I'll look for a better one. I've been looking at PSUs all evening, especially the connectors and ratings. What a nightmare :(

Can someone please answer! I have not gotten an answer for 2 posts.

Will This computer run Arma 3 Decently.

Processor: Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7-3630QM

Processor Speed: 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz)

Display: (1920 x 1080)

Cache Memory:6MB on die Level 3

System Memory (RAM): 8GB

Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3

Hard Drive Type:SATA (7200 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size:750GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 675M graphics

Edited by Devildog85858585

Can someone please answer! I have not gotten an answer for 2 posts.

Will This computer run Arma 3 Decently.

Processor: Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7-3630QM

Processor Speed: 2.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz)

Display: (1920 x 1080)

Cache Memory:6MB on die Level 3

System Memory (RAM): 8GB

Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3

Hard Drive Type:SATA (7200 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size:750GB

What's your VGA?

Yay!

Thanks I'll look for a better one. I've been looking at PSUs all evening, especially the connectors and ratings. What a nightmare :(

dutch, right? http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1480676/last

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

What's your VGA?

Yay!

right there in the specs. should be good enough, cpu should be ok as well, wont perform as well as a desktop one of course.

You probably edited your post as I was sending mine...

Anyways, an i7 should be more than enough to run the game decently...

Yay!