Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

hey wassup,just wondering can i still use the startup parameters in arma 3 like we did on arma 2??and is it making any difference on fps?

my specs-

Operating System-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU-AMD FX-6300(6 core, 3.5ghz)now 4.4ghz OC

RAM-8.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 709MHz

Graphics-AMD Radeon HD 7950 Series(1920x1080)

Hard Drives-466GB WL500GSA6472 ATA Device

Hello, id like to ask if my comp can atleast run arma3 at 60 FPS

AMD Phenom II x4 945

Nvidia GeForce GT 630

8Gb ddr3 666MHz

I have seen someone with the same cpu, I still want to be sure about it though

Maybe if you turn down the settings to lowest. but dont count on it, 60 fps is hard on the most powerfull systems, and you'll always be able to make ridiculous missions with 1000 units, guarantied to run really bad on any system.

There's really no point in upgrading a 2500K to 3770, you'll get 10% more performance at most.

is the 2500K overclocked already? if not you might want to look into that.

My i5 2500k is not oc'd atm and I am getting around 40-60 fps on high.

I never was into overclocking... What kind of boost I can get with OC?

Ok, I OC'd my CPU @ 4.3Ghz and now I'm getting a good 20 to 40 fps around the airport, provided I don't look too much in the distance with scopes and I reduce the Object distance to about 600-700 meters...

Yay!

Everything on High/Very High except Shadows (Standard), Textures (Ultra), Object Quality (Ultra), PIP (Off)... Draw Distance is about 1800, Object Draw Distance about 700... AA is 8X, Ultra SMAA, Ultra Texture Filtering (these options seem to do nothing to performance, so I just keep them at max)...

AMD FX 4100 @ 4.3Ghz

ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB VRAM

8GB RAM

Yay!

Will i be able to run this on medium i5-3230m 2.6ghz amd 7730m 6gb ram?

i have a good desktop but i am checking if it can run on my laptop

Will i be able to run this on medium i5-3230m 2.6ghz amd 7730m 6gb ram?

i have a good desktop but i am checking if it can run on my laptop

I Grabbed it from a torrent to test it out because I had to wait for my payment to Paypal which would in return pay Steam. I tested on my 2500k and got bottlenecked. I could max out the game but was between 20-40FPS at all time.

You should be able to play it very well. Buy it! I bought it too.

Can someone tell me if I should buy a i5 or i7 in my laptop ? I figured ArmA 2 made a lot use of higher cpu frequencies than multiple cores. So I think the i5 may be of more use.

It's either the 3210M or the 3630QM

I can go for 3210M and GTX660M if I want with MSI.

I do have a bad experience with i7s in laptops, they tend to overheat easily.

Here are some benchmarks I did on the docks at Agia Marina / Marina Bay to figure out the impact of view distance. I simply ran alone through the town following a simple path with ultra settings, vsync off, AA off except FXAA to Ultra, and trying different view distance with a resolution of 1920*1080

I have an i5 760 @2.8ghz and a hd7950 @950Mhz. Each test lasts 60 secondes.

Distance | Min | Avg | Max

500 | 47 | 55.8| 66

2456 | 31 | 40.8| 53

4982 | 23 | 30.2| 43

12000 | 12 |19.5| 27

Maybe if you turn down the settings to lowest. but dont count on it, 60 fps is hard on the most powerfull systems, and you'll always be able to make ridiculous missions with 1000 units, guarantied to run really bad on any system.

What should i upgrade to make it run better? I just tried playing arma 2 again after a long while with everything on low its still at 20 fps

Here are some benchmarks I did on the docks at Agia Marina / Marina Bay to figure out the impact of view distance. I simply ran alone through the town following a simple path with ultra settings, vsync off, AA off except FXAA to Ultra, and trying different view distance with a resolution of 1920*1080

I have an i5 760 @2.8ghz and a hd7950 @950Mhz. Each test lasts 60 secondes.

Distance | Min | Avg | Max

500 | 47 | 55.8| 66

2456 | 31 | 40.8| 53

4982 | 23 | 30.2| 43

12000 | 12 |19.5| 27

would love too see a screenshot with every draw distance setting, thanks for the benchmarks.

What should i upgrade to make it run better? I just tried playing arma 2 again after a long while with everything on low its still at 20 fps
Right now the CPU is the most importat hardware element to decently run ArmA III: things will change with the final release though, or at least I hope so...

Yay!

Guys, I've made an interesting discovery. I did 2 tests with 2 scenarii each.

In the first scenario, I was looking at the sea horizon at the end of the map.

1) Alone on the map => Great performance

2) Me+100 idle ennemy troops at the other side of the map => Great performance (even though around 10 fps drop or something)

In the second scenario, I was looking to the other side of the map, with a dune in front me, hiding the horizon, so not seeing much thing.

1) Alone on the map, same performance as the first scenario

2) Me+100 idle ennemy troops at the other side of the map => HUGE fps drop (around 20- 30 compared to the first scenario)

That means that, fps seem to go down from the moment where you look in the direction of the ennemies, even if you don't see them or have something between you and them.

If you look to the opposite of them though, you won't see big fps drop.

How the hell is that possible ???

My guess is that calculations related to enemies (being IA, textures, models, animations) are actively made when the player camera is pointed in their general direction (with disregard for anything in between) at a certain range...

Yay!

My i5 2500k is not oc'd atm and I am getting around 40-60 fps on high.

I never was into overclocking... What kind of boost I can get with OC?

40% boost should be easily achieved if you have a decent cooler

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

your cpu isn't that fast, but the 630 is kind of a budget gpu, not meant for gaming. Try to run arma2 at low resolution (800x600 or something), that's the kind of performance you can expect if you upgrade the gpu. You dont need to spend all that much to get a much, much more powerful gpu.

your cpu meets the minimum spec, pretty close to recommended, even though the intel recommended is much faster, so it should run, just nowhere near 60 fps.

Runs at about 50-55FPs Average on my

i5 2550K @4.8Ghz

2x2GB Patriot Gamer Series 2 1600Mhz

2x4GB Patriot Vipre Series 1600MHz

2x6870 2GB Vram on both cards

Corsiar 120GB FC2 SSD (Arma is on this)

@1920x1080

**edit forgot ram

Edited by Teddiousbear

I'm currently running this on my not-so-great rig of an i5-750 at 2.8ghz, in addition to my HD5850 and 12 gigs of RAM. I get a terrible framerate in any gameplay situation no matter the settings. I'm not expecting anything better, but I'm wondering if an upgrade to a 660Ti and a 3570K would let me run the game on high or ultra reliably.

I overclocked my i5 750 to 4.2 Ghz, performance is good in singleplayer, can bog down in multiplayer though.

A 3570K should be slightly faster than that on stock, and is easily overclockable to even better performance. As for the 5850, it'll be a bottleneck a lot of the time, but if it is you're already getting decent fps, if you're not running ridiculous settings.

So upgrade the cpu for a better minimum fps, upgrade both for better minimum and average fps.

I am wishing to buy a gaming computer, and I would like to play Arma 3 on it. I am currently looking at 2 systems, a laptop and a desktop. The laptop has an i5-3230M running up to 3.2 GHz with turbo boost. A 2gb Nvidia Geforce GT 650M with Optimus. Also a 500GB 7,200 RPM hard drive. The desktop is the same except for it has a Nvida Geforce GTX 660 1.5GB. Will either be able to run Arma 3, and if they can which will run better.

I can maintain a reasonable fps when there's no npcs on the map, but the moment I drop into any map with a reasonable about of npcs, I get around 15-25 fps, even if I set literally all of the settings to minimum. Here's my specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD Phenom ii x4 955 Processor 3.20 ghz

12GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

I know my cpu isn't the best, but I've seen videos on youtube of people recording on high settings at what looks to be about 45+ fps with the exact processor I have. Anyone know what could be holding me back?

I can maintain a reasonable fps when there's no npcs on the map, but the moment I drop into any map with a reasonable about of npcs, I get around 15-25 fps, even if I set literally all of the settings to minimum. Here's my specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD Phenom ii x4 955 Processor 3.20 ghz

12GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

I know my cpu isn't the best, but I've seen videos on youtube of people recording on high settings at what looks to be about 45+ fps with the exact processor I have. Anyone know what could be holding me back?

Bad optimization, that's all...

MaD_DoG is right about one particular issue though: I was playing the Scuba showcase yesterday, and deep under water (so I wasn't seeing anything but blue and a couple of rocks) my FPS kept at 40 if I was turned towards the edge of the map, lowered to about 25-30 while turned inland, and to 20 if looking in the general direction of the enemy encampment...

It's really annoying, since it looks like the engine isn't loading and processing only what is necessery to be rendered at a precise moment, but pretty much everything in a cone in front of the player camera up untile the range setted by the sliders in the options...

This means awful FPS even if all I see are fish and rocks...

Yay!

i7-980x

Win 7 64-bit

12 gbs of ram

2x GTX560M

I can run it on ultra, but get low frames, once I start turning up the view distance, I usually have it on very high, with 8000m view distance. Just alone on the map, any suggestions to squeeze out more performance?

i7-980x

Win 7 64-bit

12 gbs of ram

2x GTX560M

I can run it on ultra, but get low frames, once I start turning up the view distance, I usually have it on very high, with 8000m view distance. Just alone on the map, any suggestions to squeeze out more performance?

turn off clouds, disable AA and disable PIP

I'm OCing my HD7850, let's hope FPS rise a bit... Are clouds that heavy on performance?

Yay!

object distance grows with view distance. It eats a lot performance. Clouds not (for me).