Sign in to follow this  
zodd

Aircraft visible to player at distances above render distance

A big limitation for some long range activities can be the render distance of objects. The example that prompted this was spotting aircraft past object draw distance (either due to very low draw distance or via optics).

I am trying to tee up a small set of scripts that will remove this issue and have the basics of it working. The current real drawback is the size of the aircraft stand in (aircraft image outside render distance) doesnt scale based on distance but the basics of it seem to work ok.

Unfortunately I cant work out how to embed a youtube video but the link is here (30 second vid demonstrating it in action).

https://youtu.be/WG5vD0nzNk8

It isnt much and just a side project but for some people struggling to get decent view distance it might help so I figured I would put it on here.

Note this is just for visual identification; at this point you wont be able to target it until it is inside view distance but am looking at other options there as well.

Outstanding items:

- Fix scaling (I dont think you can scale models inside the Arma engine but will look into image effects etc to see if they can help)

- Look into targeting options

• Like 1

That is a very handy tool but for slightly different applications; If you zoom in that one only set your object distance to your view distance (and wont change if you have a lower field of view normally).

eg. if your view distance is 3km the above will only show things out to 3km when you are zoomed in - if your mate is playing with 5km view distance you still wont be able to see what he sees. Likewise if your view distance is 5km but object distance is only 1km, you wont be able to see aircraft at 1.1km unless you zoom in where it sounds like they are.

It is excellent for longer range recon and sniping but not for what I am doing.

This one will show aircraft well outside view distance. (Threshold distance configurable)

2nd video; out to 20km+ with transition between real object and image.

https://youtu.be/abPkAt-0CZE