Sign in to follow this  
SkillerPenguin

Game crashes: Memory and Graphics

Hiya!

For the past 2 weeks, I've had loads of crashes that have to do with my memory and directx. 

Sometimes it'll be a failed write error for the memory, other times a read and other times a directx device memory issue.

3 examples of error messages I get: 

"The instruction at 0xf1590ff3 referenced memory at 0xf1590ff3. The memory could not be written.", 

"The instruction at 0x000002fc referenced memory at 0x000002fc. The memory could not be written.", 

"DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED".

Also, my game will sometimes start to lag violently, giving 1-3 FPS and all the models look blocky, as if I were playing Minecraft.

What I've tried: 

Reinstalling Arma 3 (twice)

Used a different profile

Reinstalling directx versions

Used different malloc settings through the launcher

Used different CPU count and ExThreads through the launcher

Changed Profiles path

Set documents folder so that it wasn't read-only

Run game in administrator mode

Run sfc /scannow, no errors

Verified nothing was overheating

Removed overclock from graphics card

Removed overclock from memory

Test different overclock on processor

Disable anti-virus and anti-malware

Re-seated physical video card

Re-seated physical memory modules

Rolled back video driver from latest version

Tested physical RAM w/ Windows Memory Diagnostic, no issue found

Made sure graphics card drivers were updated

Removed pagefile, set pagefile to automatic, set pagefile to system managed size

Uninstalled Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64 & x86), restarted computer, reinstalled

Hardware: 

GPU: GTX 980 Ti

CPU: i7-5960X

RAM: 16GB DDR4 (OC from 2133Mhz to 2400Mhz).

Software: 

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Avast Anti-Virus

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

I'm curious, do you have a pagefile on?  Have you tried it without a pagefile?  Just throwing out ideas.

I'm curious, do you have a pagefile on?  Have you tried it without a pagefile?  Just throwing out ideas.

I haven't customized anything with pagefiles.

What settings would you recommend it to be on? This is what mine looks like: 

INKqTpp.png

Thanks a lot for your input!

I was getting alot of this too. I changed my antialising settings. Ppaa and fsaa to different ones.

Also there have been fixes on dev branch regarding crashes. Maybe try switching to dev branch and see if the issue is still there.

I was getting alot of this too. I changed my antialising settings. Ppaa and fsaa to different ones.

Also there have been fixes on dev branch regarding crashes. Maybe try switching to dev branch and see if the issue is still there.

I'll try those 2 tips. Many thanks for your contribution. 

Keep the support coming guys!

I have mine set to "No paging file" but I have lots of ram (32gb). If you have enough to spare (min 16gb), try it.  Let us know how you fixed it when you find a solution.

I have mine set to "No paging file" but I have lots of ram (32gb). If you have enough to spare (min 16gb), try it.  Let us know how you fixed it when you find a solution.

I have 16GB DDR4 (not sure if DDR type would make a difference?), so I'll give it a shot. I've heard it's a bad idea and that some apps don't even run without it though?

Yeah try to downgrade. I needed to downgrade again from the latest (can't remember how many times I've now done it with the GTX 970 for various reasons) to play Arma 2. Wouldn't be the first and last time to see/hear that the drivers sucks.

• Like 1

Yet another crash!

eIcU2Ns.png

Edit: and another!

Error code 0x6e765f53

Found the following in bohemia documentation, posting here for easier accessibility.

0xC0000005 - ACCESS_VIOLATION

This error is very generic. It may be caused by many issues, such as a hardware malfunction, a virus in the computer, but also an error in the game itself. Possible solutions:

• Try joining another server, then rejoin the previous one.
  • Update the graphics card drivers to a newer version.
  • Rollback the graphics card drivers to an older version.
  • Check the temperature of your GPUs and CPUs.
  • Verify the integrity of the game cache using Steam.
  • Re-install DirectX.
  • Uninstall the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86 version), restart your computer and install the package again (do not use the Repair function).
  • Run a Windows System File Check tool to repair corrupted system files.

Will try the directx and visual C++ things and see if they help. The rest I've already tried.

I have sent an email about this to Bohemia support. I'll post an update if we find a solution.

• Like 1

I have sent an email about this to Bohemia support. I'll post an update if we find a solution.

Any updates?

My Steam thread on the issue was just deleted. Not sure why.

I have win 8.1 too & upon joining a server it would start to load then crash straight to desktop with no error message or with The instruction at 0xblahblah referenced memory at 0xblahblah. The memory could not be written.

I tried the usual: verifying cache, reinstall, different arma profile etc etc.  I deleted mpmissioncache found in: C:\Users\"insert win account name"\AppData\Local\Arma 3\MPMissionsCache (appdata is hidden, file explorer>view>show hidden files>checkbox) & this time it would load up normally then 30secs to 20min same memory could not be written error.

I then created a new windows account & launched the game from there, it worked!!.  The next day I switched back to my usual win account & loaded the game without issue, so far so good no crashes since.

I don't know if this will help but worth a shot.

• Like 1

Any updates?

Hey skillerpenguin, I see you liked the post, was that a thanks for the suggestion or did it work for you?  I'm curious as to whether it actually did something or did my arma 3 just decide to work again lol.

My son have the exact same problem..

"ACESS_VIOLATION" and "Memory could not be read"

or something.

He´s got a I5 4690K, 8GB ram, AMD R9 270X

and WIN10.

Most of the times before crash he gets a massive

decync. And he doesnt use ANY mods/addons.

This happens both in mp and in the campaign.

Even in editor.

He runs the game on High only.

I've been getting an ever increasing number of memory errors ever since Eden was added to Dev branch.

This weekend was the worst yet, about 1 in 10 previews was crashing the game as soon as it was selected.

Also getting while the game is running message that the "launcher has crashed"  this has happened several times over the last month, does not affect the game though.

Update on my sons issue...

He was able to play for an extended time last night.

All we did was "up" the settings abit.

Turn up AA FXAA and stuff.

But, eventually it did crash any way..

:unsure:

New info...

Turning up the settings didnt help..

Still crashing..

First alot of desync and then crash.

EDIT:

I play on the same network with basicly the same config

exept graphics. I have a R9 290X..

Everything else is the same.

And i dont have these issues.

Well we have 8.1 on disc but upgraded that to 10

about 3months ago. Is it possible to just downgrade

somehow...?

EDIT: Didnt read that properly sorry...

So does he have to download anything or just

edit startup parameter?

And what would that accomplish?

As im running the same machine basicly

except graphics...

By moving all the DLL's in A3's DLL folder A3 will use the OS own memory allocator (malloc) and as BIS says in the link above...

Windows 7 allocator seems to be quite good, and it may therefore make sense for some users to delete all custom allocators on Windows 7 or newer).

Maybe it will help you maybe not but it's an easy thing to try. Myself had memory crashes since the last update and I currently using Windows 7 own malloc and haven't crashed yet. Maybe I will but as I said it's an easy thing to try.

/KC