Sign in to follow this  
noblesteve

Can I run it? Arma 3

First off let me state I am by no means a computer guy but let me assume I know what Im talking about

I have and AMD Phenom II x2 processor 3.40 GHS 5GB RAM 64 Bit OS Windows 7 Nvidia Geforce Gt 520

I get under 15 fps on the complete lowest settings visibility down textures blurred objects like trees non existent from far away you name it

I want to run Arma 3 on atleast high but I don't want to spend more than 200 dollars

Will switching to a Nvidia GTX 960 2gb or 4gb get me high settings good resolution with atleast 30+ fps with a server around 70 players or am I asking for too much here

Also if there is a cheaper method please let me know again I am not a computer guy so English please thanks

The simple answer is: no.

Most games get the graphics card to do the heavy lifting, but the ArmA games have it the other way around and are very heavy on the processor. So replacing the graphics card is not going to make a heck of a difference.

Graphics cards also rely on the processor to do some work alongside them, so you can't match up a really strong graphics card with a weak processor. The processor just isn't powerful enough to service the graphics card, so the graphics card never gets to run at its full potential. Replacing your 520 with a 960 probably won't even produce a noticeable difference. Quite honestly, I think the graphics card you've already got is too powerful for your processor.

Your basic problem is your processor. It's very weak. It's over five years old (yours may not be, but that's how long that processor has been out). You need a more powerful processor and that will almost certainly entail a new motherboard. And that's going to cost you more than 200 dollars.

I can go into more detail about this and make recommendations, but your budget is too low to be able to accommodate any of those suggestions. Sorry.

• Like 1

Agreed. You need to be in the Xeon class at least.