Tomytom

ARMA 3 - Dedicated server and required mods to join

Hello,

I've been fondling with the dedicated server tool available on steam, and while it run quite fine, I have come to the conclusion that sorcery must be the only way to explain the mod requirement system for joining players. I hope someone could shed some light on my issue.

I run the dedicated arma server tool, available on steam. I have copied all my mod keys to the server folder to allow client sided mod.

Now here is the fun part.

• Headless connects to the server. Headless and server run the same mod setup + ASM server side (Performance monitoring). Headless has no issue to join the server.
  • Headless connects to the server. Headless and server run the same mod setup + ASM both side. Headless cannot join the server because of ASM present client side. (Probably because there is no signed key for this mod)

• Player A (My pc) connects to the server. Player A and server run the same mod setup + ASM server side. Player A has no issue to join the server
  • Player B (Friend) connects to the server. Player B and server run the same mod setup + ASM server side. Player B has no issue to join the server
  • Player C (Friend) connects to the server. Player C (Vanilla) and server do not run the same mod setup + ASM server side. Player C has no issue to join the server (And as expected, cannot see additional content in game like weapons)
  • Player D (Friend) connects to the server. Player D and server run Vanilla + ASM server side. Player D cannot join the server because of ASM not present client side.
  • Player A (My pc) connects to the server. Player A and server run Vanilla + ASM server side. Player A has no issue to join the server (remember, there is no bikey for ASM)

Is there a hidden rule that elude me ? Or a specific line in the config txt to allow anyone with any mod, meeting the server requirement or not, to join successfully ?

Thanks for your help

This is how it works.

The server "keys" folder holds bikeys, these are for all intents and purposes a whitelisting of addons that you want to allow on the server.

This is toggled On or Off with the "verifysignatures=2; in your server config.

The actual addons that are required on the server are defined within the mission

The mission automatically adds entries into its Addons auto and Addons section of the mission.sqm during the mission development when it is saved providing those objects have been added via the mission editor.

In your player C scenario, unless the weapons/vehicles were created on the fly via scripting, the client should not have been able to join or play on the server while the mission that requires addons he does not have was running.

For this reason, i must assume, the objects were added via scripts at sometime during the mission, VAS or Arsenal crates for example.

If you have an addon that you want to use and have no Bikey for that addon, then you can sign the addon with your own Bikey, which you can create for free, just google creating a bikey.

When you sign an addon, the tool/process creates a addonname.YourBikeyname.bisign file. This is the file that is checked against the bikeys listed in your servers "keys folder".

The Headless client, when it comes to addons should be looked upon as if it were a player client, eg any addon it runs must have a bisign and the server it is connecting too needs the relevant Bikey.

Hope that explains it for you

Neat ! Thanks for breaking it down. I'll try to make myself a proper key for ASM.

Regarding verifysignatures, if I set it to 0, does the mod consistency is still checked by the server somehow ?

If I understand correctly, beside exposing myself to a constant clusterfuck of issues with mods mismatch and version, it work in a controlled environment (like low player base, easy mod management) ?

if you set verifysignatures=0, it turns the signature checking off completely, this is not the setting you want o use on a production server.

If you want to totally control the mod sets your clients use, create an arma3sync repository and have your clients use the arma3sync to download your particular modset. This requires a little effort at the start as you design and build the repo, but saves a hell of a lot of hassle in the long run.

I run both a vanilla and addon server with quite a lot of members and a pretty complex addon pack. I wouldnt use anything other than arma3sync and our own repo to support that

Good to know,

Thanks a lot for you detailled answer. I will put it to good use.

is there no way of literally forcing a mod to be enabled on the server? 

i always thought the mods in command line/root/key were forced and if the mod was only in  the root /keys/not command line  then it would essentially be optional.

ive seen a server do this but god knows how. 

would putting mods into sub folders do the trick i.e. @essential / @optional ---- then put the @essential into the command line