This script is really cool, but we have a major issue. We added this script to our missions (included the "SHK_Fastrope.sqf" in the initPlayerLocal.sqf) and with 3 or 4 people connected to our dedicated server it works very fine. We are able to fast rope and everything works perfect, but if we are playing with more than 4 people, the dedicated server crashes after about 10 - 15 minutes, means the server "freezes" and we can't do anything on it.

Today we made a lot of tests. With this script (v1.30) the server crashes always after 10 - 15 minutes and without this script the server runs fine and we could play today more than 3 hours without any problem. After that we have included the script again to make another test, joined with 5 players and the server freezed again after a short time. :-(

We have tested it on 3 different maps about 5 or 6 times and the server freezes always after 10 - 15 min. when more than 4 people are connected. So I'm very sure that there is a problem with this script.

Could it be a problem with the loops inside the script? Maybe some endless loops which cause memory problems when to many players are connected?

Do you have any idea? Hope you can find the reason and fix it :)

Thanks a lot for your great work!

Could it be a problem with the loops inside the script? Maybe some endless loops which cause memory problems when to many players are connected?

There's only one while-loop and it's not endless. :/

So, I don't have a clear idea what could cause it. Since the script is only loaded on players, the dedi doesn't even run the script. :/

Did you fast-rope with human players only or with AI, or will full AI groups?

Thanks for the answer. In Single Player it works fine with 10+ AI. In Mutliplayer (on our dedicated server) not with 4+ players.

I will describe the "freeze" a bit more. It seems that the server still runs fine but all clients will be like disconneced. You can run and shoot, but all other can only see you standing still. Also you can't die or kill someone (same as when you lost the connection to the server) but you didn't get a message that you have lost the connection. If you are in a helicopter and the KI is flying the helicopter stands completely still.

As admin you are not able to stop or restart the mission with the server commands. You can type them but nothing happens.

All clients get this "freeze" at the same time so this is not the problem of one or two players.

I have a second small bug for you. :-) If the AI is flying us, the AI helicopter cuts the ropes automatically when the crew is completely out of the cargo. But only at the first time. Means when we call the helicopter again and fast rope again, the AI isn't able to cut the ropes a second time so the heli flying away with the ropes attached. Same behavior when we toss the ropes, cut them and toss them again. The AI heli isn't able to cut the ropes after the crew is fast roped.

Thank you so much Shuko.

Ok, thanks. I'll try to think of something.

• Like 1

What kind of traffic amounts does the server show with the #monitor command before and after/during fast-roping?

PS. If someone is wondering, yes, I know the AI command is broken atm.

I will check that later when I'm at home. But yesterday the server crashed also 1 time on the flight to the fast rope point, means before we fast roped.

If you want you can add me in Steam and we can talk in Teamspeak or check together or you can view my live stream etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/whiteknight1981

Okay I have monitored our server.

without your script:

~51 FPS, ~680 MB, ~30 kbps outgoing, ~ 5 kbps incoming

with your script included:

at mission start the values are the same as above. But after 10 Minutes it jumps suddenly to

~5 FPS, ~700 MB, ~1058 kbps outgoing, ~250 kbps incoming (and increasing every second).

This time I was alone on our dedicated server, so it has nothing todo with the number of players.

Shuko,

I just wanted to say many thanks for all the work you've put into this, clearly some things to iron out for multi-play as stated above. However, for SP it's so nice to finally have an actual working fast rope script that works with ALiVE!! I tried forever last year to iron out compatibility issues with other scripts and this one, since the fist iteration works great for me (the ACE function was a cherry on top for sure). As far as the fast rope animation, I was wondering if it is possible to get something more along the lines of what the raven lifter "roping" animation looked like. Figured I'd ask since you are still working on this. Either way, it has really been a great addition to my SP set ups - Thanks again!

Really, really really enjoyed what you have here! Me and my milsim unit use this for the RHS blackhawks and the MELB littlebirds, and it is flawless. Time to recreate Operation Irene in A3!

• Like 1

you can provide another link to download? I can't do downloads in Armaholic.

you can provide another link to download? I can't do downloads in Armaholic.

The link in the starting post is always to the latest version.

I've been currently too busy to work on this to figure out the MP lag and problem AI groups. SP should be ok at the moment still.

Maybe ACE guys will release theirs before I get this done anyway. :P

I've been currently too busy to work on this to figure out the MP lag

Hi man,

I looked at your script (which is cool btw) and thought it might be this (or at least one possible cause could be this):

The variable "SHK_fastRopeQueue" is public, and I reckon the problem is players are spamming the action, because they're desperate to Fastrope and it slows the network with updates to your variable.

In your code, I can see the addaction and also SHK_Fastrope_fnc_queueUp.

There's nothing to stop players pressing the action multiple times and queuing themselves up multiple times in the array (so the array becomes massive and is broadcasted to each PC every time).

So I would either use (in "SHK_Fastrope_fnc_queueUp"):

// stable branch

_desperateJumpers = _heli getVariable "SHK_fastRopeQueue";
if not (player in _desperateJumpers) then {
    _desperateJumpers pushBack player;
    // If the player is a group leader, queue up his subordinate AIs...
};

// or dev branch

_desperateJumpers = _heli getVariable "SHK_fastRopeQueue";
if (_desperateJumpers pushBackUnique player > -1) then {
    // If the player is a group leader, queue up his subordinate AIs...
};

Hope I understood the problem correctly and at least some of this is helpful.

There's nothing to stop players pressing the action multiple times and queuing themselves up multiple times in the array (so the array becomes massive and is broadcasted to each PC every time).

Thanks for checking it through. However, the fastrope/queue up action is available only once. The action condition includes:

!(player in (_heli getVariable ["SHK_Fastrope_Queue",[]])

Though, I have not personally tested how it works in practice in MP. In SP the action is removed like it should be.

• Like 1

Hey

thanks for this really awseome fastrope, but it is possible to fast rope onto roof of buildings ? uf we try it we are glitching into the housses and if we touch the ground we are deattached

Hey

thanks for this really awseome fastrope, but it is possible to fast rope onto roof of buildings ? uf we try it we are glitching into the housses and if we touch the ground we are deattached

Which version are you using?

Hi, everyone.

Thanks for this great script, Shuko! It's pretty much plug and play. I'm only a beginner at scripts, and I get easily lost/frustrated in ones that are complex to set up. In my ignorance, I'm impressed that you got the FFV positions to fastrope down, since I thought those counted as "crew" positions.

I added the CUP helos for fastroping, and checked them ingame for errors. Any unit using these base models should be good to go.

I kludged the initial values in from your RHS or vanilla helo rope anchor point coordinates, then tweaked them either to work, or in cases with an actual winch on the helo model, tweaked to attach to the winch hook.

I've verified that all of them work, except the Chinook CH-47. I could not figure out how to find coordinates that would actually deploy the rope on the Chinook (the option appears, but no rope is created).

I tweaked the Merlin, MH-60, and UH-60 rope anchor coordinates for aesthetic winch attachment.

I could not figure out from model base configs what any door names were, though clearly the Merlin and SA330 Puma both permit door open/close actions.

I hope this is of use to you or to the ACE fastrope function.

["CUP_Mi8_base",[],[[0,-3,0]]],
["CUP_MI6A_Base",[],[[0,-8,0]]],
["CUP_Mi24_Base",[],[[0.75,3.3,0],[-0.85,3.3,0]]],

["CUP_CH_47F_base",[],[[0,-0.4,0]]],
["CUP_Merlin_HC3_Base",["Door_R_source"],[[1.88,1.12,-0.23]]],
["CUP_MH60S_Base",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0.27]]],
["CUP_Uh60_Base",["DoorRB"],[[1.47,1.93,-0.47]]],
["CUP_UH1H_base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
["CUP_UH1Y_Base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
["CUP_B_SA330_base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
["CUP_AW159_Unarmed_Base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],

Awesome stuff.  Dakaodo, did you try out a version for the CH-53E as well?

I added the CUP helos for fastroping, and checked them ingame for errors.

Thanks! I included them to the next version, which I'll release if/when I get time and brains to fix the MP issue(s). Adding them to the current version should be easy enough for everyone.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone.

Thanks for this great script, Shuko! It's pretty much plug and play. I'm only a beginner at scripts, and I get easily lost/frustrated in ones that are complex to set up. In my ignorance, I'm impressed that you got the FFV positions to fastrope down, since I thought those counted as "crew" positions.

I added the CUP helos for fastroping, and checked them ingame for errors. Any unit using these base models should be good to go.

I kludged the initial values in from your RHS or vanilla helo rope anchor point coordinates, then tweaked them either to work, or in cases with an actual winch on the helo model, tweaked to attach to the winch hook.

I've verified that all of them work, except the Chinook CH-47. I could not figure out how to find coordinates that would actually deploy the rope on the Chinook (the option appears, but no rope is created).

I tweaked the Merlin, MH-60, and UH-60 rope anchor coordinates for aesthetic winch attachment.

I could not figure out from model base configs what any door names were, though clearly the Merlin and SA330 Puma both permit door open/close actions.

I hope this is of use to you or to the ACE fastrope function.

["CUP_Mi8_base",[],[[0,-3,0]]],
["CUP_MI6A_Base",[],[[0,-8,0]]],
["CUP_Mi24_Base",[],[[0.75,3.3,0],[-0.85,3.3,0]]],

["CUP_CH_47F_base",[],[[0,-0.4,0]]],
["CUP_Merlin_HC3_Base",["Door_R_source"],[[1.88,1.12,-0.23]]],
["CUP_MH60S_Base",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0.27]]],
["CUP_Uh60_Base",["DoorRB"],[[1.47,1.93,-0.47]]],
["CUP_UH1H_base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
["CUP_UH1Y_Base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
["CUP_AW159_Unarmed_Base",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],

["CUP_B_MH60S_USMC",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0.5]]],
  ["CUP_B_MH60S_FFV_USMC",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0.5]]],

["CUP_B_UH60L_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60L_FFV_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60L_Unarmed_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60L_Unarmed_FFV_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],

["CUP_B_UH60M_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60M_FFV_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60M_Unarmed_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH60M_Unarmed_FFV_US",["DoorRB"],[[1.44,1.93,0]]],

["CUP_B_CH53E_USMC",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[1,-8.2,-0.9],[-1,-8.2,-0.9]]],
  ["CUP_B_CH47F_GB",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.87,-7.5,-0.95],[-0.87,-7.5,-0.95]]],
  ["CUP_B_CH47F_USA",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.87,-7.5,-0.95],[-0.87,-7.5,-0.95]]],
  ["CUP_B_UH1Y_UNA_USMC",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.9,-3.6,-0.1],[-0.9,-3.6,-0.1]]],

["CUP_Merlin_HC3",["Door_R_source"],[[1.88,1.12,-0.23]]],
  ["CUP_Merlin_HC3_FFV",["Door_R_source"],[[1.88,1.12,-0.23]]],
  ["CUP_B_AW159_Unarmed_BAF",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]],
  ["CUP_B_AW159_Armed_BAF",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.95,3,-0.9],[-0.95,3,-0.9]]], 

//Armed Forces of Russian Federation
  ["CUP_O_Mi24_V_RU",[],[[0.7,3.3,0],[-0.9,3.3,0]]],
  ["CUP_O_Mi24_P_RU",[],[[0.7,3.3,0],[-0.9,3.3,0]]],
  ["CUP_O_Mi8_RU",[],[[-1.3,5.3,-0.5]]],
  ["CUP_O_MI6T_RU",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[-1.5,2.6,-0.5],[-1.5,-4.2,-0.5]]],

["CUP_O_Mi24_D_TK",[],[[0.7,3.3,0],[-0.9,3.3,0]]],
  ["CUP_O_MI6T_TKA",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[-1.5,2.6,-0.5],[-1.5,-4.2,-0.5]]],
  ["CUP_O_Mi17_TK",[],[[-1.3,5.3,-0.5]]],

I created my own coordinates if someone wants to use them, maybe my coordinates are better, themselves will try to judge :)
Also I created the ropes for CH-53 and CH-47 on back of the ramp.

["CUP_B_CH53E_USMC",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[1,-8.2,-0.9],[-1,-8.2,-0.9]]],
  ["CUP_B_CH47F_USA",["DoorLB","DoorRB"],[[0.87,-7.5,-0.95],[-0.87,-7.5,-0.95]]],
  • Like 1

//HAFM NH90

["NH90",["sideDoors1"],[[1.47,1.805,-0.02]]],

//ADF

["ADFU_air_blackhawk_BASE",["Door_R"],[[1.44,1.93,0.3]]],

Hi Shuko,

I've noticed a very minor issue:

I get the "Toss Ropes" option in boats.

It doesn't do anything, and you can't accidentally eject yourself from a boat, but thought I'd mention it.

Shuko

I have been using this on hosted MP games and works great, but a few posts back you were talking about the "queue" system. I can tell you that when playing with friends I have hit the "fast rope" and get a message that I am in the queue but nothing ever happens, Helo is empty and I am still sitting there, So I hit the "fast rope" again and usually it works sometimes I have to hit it twice. We use ACE and I am usually the host , not sure if that makes a difference. Also once I am queued for fast rope the option is still available to hit the fast rope button.

Same here. I thing the Queue is not working fine. You have to click the fast rope icon another time.

Regarding the dedicated server crashes / performance issues: This could also be a reason: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=26878.

Seems that there is a general problem with the performance at the moment and when the fast rope script is broadcasting something the probability is high that the server will crash.