dkraver

Ai artillery observer

After a lot of Google and searching here without results im gonna try here.

Im making a mission where i want a opfor artilleri observer to call in mortar fire (from a ai mortar team on map) on the players position when spottet. I have seen it on the domination maps. But cant find how its done anywhere. Can anybody help with a link or setup?

Looks interesting but lacks the part of being dependant on being spottet by a single unit. So if that unit is killed. Arty will stop

cant find how its done anywhere

I doubt that.

There's plenty of stuff out there. Arma2 versions should still do the trick.

On the other hand, what exactly stops you from making a script yourself?

There are plenty of ways to achieve what you want,

most of them don't require a humongous amount of scripting knowledge.

Cheers

Looks interesting but lacks the part of being dependant on being spottet by a single unit. So if that unit is killed. Arty will stop

No, actually. I've used this myself, the mortars will fire as long as a given side is detected by another given side that you've set in the editor.

I doubt that.

There's plenty of stuff out there. Arma2 versions should still do the trick.

On the other hand, what exactly stops you from making a script yourself?

There are plenty of ways to achieve what you want,

most of them don't require a humongous amount of scripting knowledge.

Cheers

I did that Google and many more combos. And didnt find what i was looking for. Most results are trigger based for an area. Not based on a single unit. Would have loved to just use the support modules. But that dont work. But the way it works in domination maps are perfect. So why try to figure something out that already works.

Place an enemy commander on the map. Place an enemy mortar on the map. Group the commander with the mortar.

When the commander spots you the mortars will rain down.

• Like 1

I suggest using knowsAbout.

//Something like.

waitUntil {sleep 5; _spotter knowsAbout player > 2};

[] execVM "fireMortar.sqf";

I highly doubt it can be directly brought over but a great AI FO script from A2 is here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/120340-blakes-ai-forward-observer/

That said; a core part of game design is you dont actually need to realistically simulate something... it only has to appear that way to the player.

If you can do it more efficiently and achieve the same endstate, the player wont know the difference.

Joe98's suggestion seems to be quickest and easiest.

Trying to get that newbie forums checked off so I can start a new thread.  Read almost all Arty related post i could find.

I'm trying to get an artillery battery to fire on a support request. I have 6 units (same type) grouped sync to a arty support provider which in turn is linked to a support requested and in turn sync to the player. Every time I call for fire only 1 gun fires. How do I get all six to fire?

Pics below of setup.

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/NoBodie1/slideshow/ARMA%203

BTW like your post.  gonna have to but a FOO into mine once I get this arty figured out.