Sign in to follow this  
Donald Flatulence

Extreme shadow bug in Arma 3

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=603876301

Hey all,

Please see the above link/photo

Put simply, my shadows are being drawn in an absolutely random manner, with lots of rapid spiking. I really can't think of anything more than updating my drivers and modifying my video settings, so has anyone got any other ideas?

Note this is a vanilla install, no mods.

Thank you far any and all suggestions,

Ed

Are you using an AMD or NVIDIA GPU? I came across a thread from someone having a similar issue, but in Arma2. His issue was more pronounced than this, but the issue turned out to be caused by an AMD driver.I believe he installed the previous driver and it fixed the issue.

Are you by any chance using a GTX 750 Ti? I get an issue like this and have seen many other people with the same problem and same graphics card. :(

Thanks for the replies, I am using a NVIDIA GTX 850, I'll try rolling back the drivers although I bet this will create issues with other games, might be a lose lose until updates just end up fixing this, if its driver related  :P

• Like 1

Do you have cooling controls (MSI for example) set up properly for it. Excessive heat can distort textures.

just end up fixing this, if its driver related

I might tend to agree,....a bit,....if there were others having the same issue. I haven't seen to many so far.

hmm, im a nvidia 750 ti user and i get these weird shadow glitches as well, i've only really noticed them being really bad recently though that could just be my imagination, i've done no research on this! the GPU is probebly the most modern peice of hardware in my aging computer and i kinda struggle to run arma3 anyway  so i'd always put this down to general aging computer gremlins.  <_<

so the consensus is the problem is the card in particular or driver updates? im fairly sure the have been some issues with new nvidia updates recently.

its kind of a cheat though because if, for example, im clearing a village i can see where all the ai/players are from their glitchy shadows glitching through the walls! all you pvp players be warned! 

specs:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz    31 °C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5P43TD PRO (LGA775)    23 °C
Graphics
    VX2336 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)    19 °C

This is an issue that I believe all the cards with that architecture have, 750 TI user here myself and getting annoyed. Just a google search for "shadow glitch arma 3 750 ti" will show a lot of people complaining about it. Unfortunatly both BIS and Nvidia are keeping quiet on the matter. It sucks but you should be prepared to either deal with it, or like me turn off shadows alltogether (unless you feel like buying another gpu), as it doesn't look like they can be bothered or just don't have time/answers on it (still some kind of news would be nice). Hopefully the auto shadow generating feature in Apex or DX12 will fix the issue.

This is an issue that I believe all the cards with that architecture have, 750 TI user here myself and getting annoyed. Just a google search for "shadow glitch arma 3 750 ti" will show a lot of people complaining about it.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the headsup.

Are you by any chance using a GTX 750 Ti? I get an issue like this and have seen many other people with the same problem and same graphics card. :(

I'm using a GTX 750 ti, and I get weird shadows, but I got weird shadows before I installed the GPU,  I was using the integrated graphics on my AMD cpu.