After playing some missions at night under heavy cloud cover, it is really hard to see.

Flashlights help a lot but they are a beacon to enemies

Would it be possible to incorporate an IR illuminator? whether stand alone, or part of a laser system?

The whole point of using IR illuminator is that you can see it only in nightvision, Mr. Stonebridge, I think you slightly misunderstood.  :)

But yeah, IR illum. would be a good thing to have.

Some kind of IR light is possible (IR strobes etc.) though not sure if possible on flashlights.

• Like 1

The whole point of using IR illuminator is that you can see it only in nightvision, Mr. Stonebridge, I think you slightly misunderstood.  :)

But yeah, IR illum. would be a good thing to have.

Some kind of IR light is possible (IR strobes etc.) though not sure if possible on flashlights.

I'm just thinking if we can make strobes and lasers, why not illumination? Surely someone has thought of it before, just wondering if there is a big roadblock.

I've tried to configure one a few times, and I know several other people have.

The IR strobe, IR flares etc. (omnidirectional "MarkerLight" type sources) have a property onlyInNVG = 1; which doesn't seem to be configurable for flashlight and vehicle light (both are directional "reflector" type light sources IIRC).

• Like 1

I've tried to configure one a few times, and I know several other people have.

The IR strobe, IR flares etc. (omnidirectional "MarkerLight" type sources) have a property onlyInNVG = 1; which doesn't seem to be configurable for flashlight and vehicle light (both are directional "reflector" type light sources IIRC).

In this case it should be possible to create a steady IR light source in grenade form. In combination with the ACE3 you could attach them to your vest.

You could make a red beam weapon flashlight right? They preserve nightvision. 

Similar idea-what about a head light? Like take the properties of the weapon flashlight and attach it to a helmet. Anyone tried that or know if it is doable? 

I have a script that adds ir strobes to players when haloing. I bet it could be applied to units on the ground as well.

_irs = "NVG_TargetC" createVehicle [0,0,0];
_irs attachTo [player, [0,-0.03,0.07], "LeftShoulder"];

Just an idea but it could be the laser pointer (end of the laser) who emite the IR light ? You see what i mean ? Use the end of the laser to make an IR circle. Bad Benson have a laser visible at day so i don't know if in case of night you just replace the red dot by a circle of IR light. 

Just an idea but it could be the laser pointer (end of the laser) who emite the IR light ? You see what i mean ? Use the end of the laser to make an IR circle. Bad Benson have a laser visible at day so i don't know if in case of night you just replace the red dot by a circle of IR light. 

Thats true-I use his visible laser instead of the games crosshair for CQB stuff. I see what you mean about converting it-no idea if it's possible though. You could ask him maybe.

Yeah in fact i like the idea of having a visible laser instead of a dumb crosshair ! and i just expose an idea maybe some talented scripter can do that ;)

EDIT : i remember a long time ago speaking with a modder who said me that the arma 3  engine can handle IR flash light , or IR filter for flash light , did it changed ?

we usually lean towards night vision. 

it's not that I misunderstood, I simply don't see the need for it, not matter the weather condition the outcome is the same. If its low visibility and dark use NVG's. it's quite simple, I use them and have no issues.

And aiming is very simple, use a laser, I'm not being an ass, I just don't see the need for an IR flashlight that would serve no real purpose.

I too would like to see the addition of an IR illuminator. The NVG's I've used IRL have almost always had one built right in.  Hugely helpful indoors, and on darker nights. As for flashlights, it's basically the same thing.  I have IR filters for a couple of my lights that filter out all visible light while still providing excellent illumination via NVGs.

My motto is: "If it exists in real life, then that's all the justification needed."  Who would and would not use it is moot.

-Doc

• Like 2

If you're going to report a post, can you please leave some sort of reason why it's being reported chaps?

Back to the OP, you need NVG's to see any sort of IR illuminator, so that fixes your issue right away, IR isn't visible with the human eye!!

10 hours ago, road runner said:

If you're going to report a post, can you please leave some sort of reason why it's being reported chaps?

Back to the OP, you need NVG's to see any sort of IR illuminator, so that fixes your issue right away, IR isn't visible with the human eye!!

At a guess, since the previous post was more than a year ago:

https://forums.bistudio.com/guidelines/

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added.

• Like 1

oops, sorry.  My bad.

I'd just wanted to add my support to the concept from the standpoint of realism as opposed to opinion.  I'd like to see something like this created for the game.

Experience tells me that if I'd started a new thread about it, someone would have inevitably directed me to this old one with a comment about using search before creating a duplicate thread.  :-)    

I happen to agree with the concept of keeping things tidy with like information kept in one place instead of shotgunned throughout a forum, which makes it harder for someone who's looking for information on a topic to find it.  But rules are rules.  Noted!

-Doc

On 1/25/2016 at 10:12 AM, sgt m.stonebridge said:

it's not that I misunderstood, I simply don't see the need for it, not matter the weather condition the outcome is the same. If its low visibility and dark use NVG's. it's quite simple, I use them and have no issues.

And aiming is very simple, use a laser, I'm not being an ass, I just don't see the need for an IR flashlight that would serve no real purpose.

The point is that there are situations where even NVGs don't properly illuminate the environment enough as there isn't any ambient light to intensify. New moon, heavily overcast nights make even NVGs unworkable. In that situation, it's better to have an infrared light source to help the NVGs do their job properly than it is to use a visible spectrum light for all the same reasons that people use NVGs in the first place. These things exist in the real world, so there clearly is a need for it. 

There is a point and it's a valid one.

• Like 1

This is still in the wrong place, it should be in the addon request section, there is no WiP to display here, so there's no point in the thread remaining open.

• Like 2