Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

Maio I get the the current system doesn't allow for very detailed cut scenes or facial animations...but compared to OFP. The story just seemed more real. Let me clarify. You had character and you weren't a Rambo that had all the answers. You seemed fragile.

Another example...no one gets why CSAT is doing what they doing. They this technological superior Iranian Clan of bro dudes...and they invade the Greeks for Tapas and Olives and that's that. More like a faceless corporation. So here is to an actual back story!

I feel I am "piloting" a dude that goes to a dude village and kills some dudes. And reports to some dudes. As we bro dude along. There aint even some comedy

• Like 2

That's right, we didn't bought Arma to have campaign like the one in Battlefield 4 with such emotions, much explosions.

You can never have enough colour corrected flamey explosions.

• Like 1

As far as I know, BI has dedicated writers/ a dedicated writer.  Also keep in mind that since BI games are not cinematic, action packed, emotional roller-coaster, close-up from an angle look at my face while I'm dying in slow-motion type of games, (IMHO) it's a little harder to convey strong emotions, unless your are going for the calculated as real as it gets with some funny moments military experience.

Anyway what one considers a good story (myself included) is subjective...  I just felt the need to remind you of my existence...  

There was an unfinished campaign in Arma 2 by someone called Rejenorst called "The Cause 2" (There was another one "The Cause" during Arma 1 times) which did an absolutely fantastic job IMHO to capture a very emotional feeling. It showed to me that it is perfectly possible to tell a good story in Arma 2, and frankly, I wish Bohemia Interactive had hired the man for their campaign. If you still got Arma 2 installed I highly recommend trying these (I believe there were two missions finished), I was saddened to hear that because of time constraints he had to give them up. I can only try to imagine what this man could do with a full time job.

• Like 2

Remember APEX has the ability to grow their player base. Inject new empathises into Arma 3...get new players on board. Increased capital from sales of APEX will allow them to pursue new projects or further Expansions. I would not say its make or break time. But the positive knock on effects will do them well. Hence...they need to step things up.

Remember APEX has the ability to grow their player base. Inject new empathises into Arma 3...get new players on board. Increased capital from sales of APEX will allow them to pursue new projects or further Expansions. I would not say its make or break time. But the positive knock on effects will do them well. Hence...they need to step things up.

I'm thinking that the co-op campaign could actually "step things up". You don't play in co-op as in solo, and it will bring more importance to other characters of the scenario.

But if they want to grow their players base, they have to tease it more broadly than just to the "implied community" that we are.

I'm thinking that the co-op campaign could actually "step things up". You don't play in co-op as in solo, and it will bring more importance to other characters of the scenario.

But if they want to grow their players base, they have to tease it more broadly than just to the "implied community" that we are.

Agreed. I think its why they working on the new Task system apart from Multiplayer benefits as well. I could be wrong but it would give an overall picture who needs to do what and where. I have to applaud this Co-op Campaign idea.

Regards more info or availing info about the Co-op campaign...again agreed. But lets assume the new Video they started filming is 10 minutes long. I doubt they will have time to show off a lot. Its likely more a hype of what we will get...at least some working in Game things. I would guess the VTOL and Light Strike.

Then fast forward a bit; a live stream a week or so later and then during that final bits of Live stream the oh look its on DEV. The last to get released is the Campaign. So I don't want to say there is plenty of time to push it...that is since we still in the dark largely. But they could tease a bit sooner. Perhaps in Jay Crowe's video there will be some info. I also doubt we will get all the info in his video. I think its basically a start of the much spoken #RoadToApex (Actual content reveals) and that will be the single point things start becoming published. I suspect next week will be the videos release.

I'm replaying Survive, and I confirm that there is a lot more "Kerry do  that, Kerry go here" than for other characters.

And it reminded me how a magazine combination would be nice to have.

I'm replaying Survive, and I confirm that there is a lot more "Kerry do  that, Kerry go here" than for other characters.

To be fair, you wouldn't want to wait on an AI team mate to do an objective for you. Take Death Valley for instance; if it was one of your AI squad members instead that had to go find the mortar spotters it probably would take forever and if he got killed (assuming they didn't make him invincible, further breaking the immersion) you'd have to go finding the spotters on your own anyway.

It's a band-aid solution but there's not much that can be done about it IMO.

Is this new feedback tracker?If it is graphic interface and voting system will be missed.

Is this new feedback tracker?If it is graphic interface and voting system will be missed.

Budget cuts... all the cash BI made with A3 has been redirected towards the DayZ development effort. I've also heard that Tanoa is a being developed specifically for ArmA Life players, so expect a stand alone Arma Life game in the near future. 

What else...hmmm... oh yeah! The action in APEX takes place in the near future and the representation of the fictional armies is not 1:1 with their real life counterparts... Is this still a thing? ARE WE THE COMMUNITY still mad about this?  Should I make a poll? Should I accept this outcome that the universe has put forth for me and move on? Are you having fun pettka?

• Like 5

A3 maps are not like CoD's or Battlefield's, so AI and their pathfinding is much more complicated and messed up. That's why we can't have a good linear story or count on AI to do their stuff, that comes with price of engine limitation, AI pathfinding could be improved a lot but that would also impact CPU usage way more, making the need of NASA computers in order to play it.

That being sad, it doesn't mean that A3 can't have a good story, again take look at OFP+R story with that old engine and with way more limitations. For me, A3 campaign was a walking simulator, walk 1km there, shoot a few guys, walk again and bla bla. One mission that for me sticks up in A3 was when you have to assault that AAF post on top of that hill, then deal with AAF mortars and defend against counter attack, very intense mission.
The mission, assault on main airfield, had a good potential but it was wasted. There is some arty action at start, you assault through village with AAF, very intense firefight, only to quickly defeat them, walk and secure factory, than walk up to hill, destroy one AA and 4-5 CSAT in total. And that is it. WTF. There was a build up that taking airfield was not going to be easy with strong combine force of AAF and CSAT. Not to mention that at opening of mission MRLS are firing rockets at 80 degrees angle, that was a face palm for me, MRLS are not traditional arty and they don't fire on that angle. I also liked mission where you have to capture Fuel truck, very good mission. A3 campaign had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution. 

Personally I don't want to play a video game and to be reminded of army days, where you spend most of the time just walking with full pack, from A to B to C. Yes it's very much part of army life, but there is nothing fun about that, NOTHING. 

Maio You gonna make us mad by saying we getting more "Bug helmets" and pew pew lasers. We want Merica and M16's! The flavor of the month is Modern Future and more Future on top of that. I anticipate we will get more 2035ish stuff...but the recording of the BIS house trained Tank makes me wonder if we wont see some 1980's rolling around.

The CSAT backstory is they have some Gear not even seen in real world. Rail Gun tanks hello! But lets wait and see.

At this stage, waiting for a good number of months for this expansion something is better than nothing. But I am super amped Donald...I mean APEX is gonna win! I cant wait for the first bits to filter down.

Hello Petr...don't be so quiet :ph34r: 

FoxFort I think honestly there is alot of Commands added that may actually allow for better story telling. If its just AI dropped on a Map there may be issues...But they can likely work on some special low level codding to get a top notch Single/ Co-op campaign going. As you said if they could with OFP and that tech then we can surely get a nice Campaign that isn't the old go there and Kill that boss. Bring the Eleven scroll of mite back. Receive gauntlets of Fate.

I hope campaign ideas started back when they started thinking of APEX..this would allow a deeper story and time to look at all avenues. Perhaps they so quiet  because they going to kill off all our doubts. I would be the first to apologize. Alot of this is Time versus Man power/ resources versus the financial pressure to get a product out ASAP that will make the average player happy and get money back in. They have to balance all that...and it would be a pity if DAY Z needed their development cash. That could have gone to staff overtime. Hiring of temp staff. Or paying additional freelancers....which allows for more spit and polish.

A3 maps are not like CoD's or Battlefield's, so AI and their pathfinding is much more complicated and messed up. That's why we can't have a good linear story or count on AI to do their stuff, that comes with price of engine limitation, AI pathfinding could be improved a lot but that would also impact CPU usage way more, making the need of NASA computers in order to play it.

Well, I think that even if the map is quite a big one, you can always "limit" the space used in the mission in order to make a good scripted / linear story mission.

For example, the 1st mission of ArmA 2 campaign, in which you insert near a village and destroy a communication center. The space used was quite small but the mission was (IMHO) good anyway.

Even if the map is big, you can always focus the mission (and hence, the campaign) on small parts of it to make a linear but nice story.

That being sad, it doesn't mean that A3 can't have a good story, again take look at OFP+R story with that old engine and with way more limitations. For me, A3 campaign was a walking simulator, walk 1km there, shoot a few guys, walk again and bla bla. One mission that for me sticks up in A3 was when you have to assault that AAF post on top of that hill, then deal with AAF mortars and defend against counter attack, very intense mission.

Agreed. IMHO, I had more feelings in CWC campaign, I was interested in the characters stroy - but it wasn't in ArmA 3 campaign (or less at least). The storyline wasn't really clear and a lot of questions stayed without any answer.

The mission, assault on main airfield, had a good potential but it was wasted. There is some arty action at start, you assault through village with AAF, very intense firefight, only to quickly defeat them, walk and secure factory, than walk up to hill, destroy one AA and 4-5 CSAT in total. And that is it. WTF. There was a build up that taking airfield was not going to be easy with strong combine force of AAF and CSAT. Not to mention that at opening of mission MRLS are firing rockets at 80 degrees angle, that was a face palm for me, MRLS are not traditional arty and they don't fire on that angle.

Well, I liked this mission - even if we were again with guerrila instead of NATO assets... (Why always the guerilla seriously???)

Plus, we just secure the factory, and timelapse, the whole area is secured...

Back in OFP, we would also assault the airfield and take it. Why not in ArmA 3?

A3 campaign had a lot of good ideas, but poor execution.

Agreed.

Personally I don't want to play a video game and to be reminded of army days, where you spend most of the time just walking with full pack, from A to B to C. Yes it's very much part of army life, but there is nothing fun about that, NOTHING. 

Well, if it's well done and serves the story plot, I don't bother.

What I seek in ArmA is a realistic game, feeling like I really am the character I'm playing.

So, doing so (walking from A to B and then C, with no action) doesn't bother me too much if it's well done and interesting (for example, nice dialogs while doing so, nice ambient life on the side, etc...)

Well, I think that even if the map is quite a big one, you can always "limit" the space used in the mission in order to make a good scripted / linear story mission.

For example, the 1st mission of ArmA 2 campaign, in which you insert near a village and destroy a communication center. The space used was quite small but the mission was (IMHO) good anyway.

Even if the map is big, you can always focus the mission (and hence, the campaign) on small parts of it to make a linear but nice story.

Oh boy that was a very good mission and a long one. All missions in A3 are short and simple.

wiki in my pointless year long Animation course...I did learn one thing. My lecturer said it doesn't matter what Visual effects of CGI you bolt on to your work. Its the story. CGI wont cover the gaping holes in your story.

Get that right and the rest falls into place.

Look at how many Reboots in Hollywood have been lack luster because they trying to recapture the magic and add nothing new except modern effects.

Transformers. Jerry Bruckheimer's way of movie making is add more over the top way out unbelievable effects on an action movie because he may think the audience is stupid and wont enjoy character development or a plot. Now counter that with a historical drama-thriller of say Thirteen Days. 90 percent of the movie was dialog and almost no action. The action was only to reinforce the narrative and I felt it was a good story,. Its scored 4 and half stars out of 5 on IMDB.

So yes believable dialog. Purpose why you doing this. Back story. Built up. Pacing. For all the talk about Genocide on Altis we see maybe 4 civilians shot. Cant remember but we don't see much of that. The opening of Modern Warfare back in the day built up to the invasion as you rode in it an then got popped to end your tour of the war torn city.

• Like 1

Oh boy that was a very good mission and a long one. All missions in A3 are short and simple.

Yeah, I know. In this particular mission, I really felt like it WAS a specops mission and I was doing it (even if that feeling passed away in the rest of the campaign...)

In ArmA 3, I played the campaign but after "Blackfoot down", I never felt involved at all in the story anymore.

Unlike you, I don't bother whether the missions are short - as long as they're intense and make me feel involved (just like "Blackfoot down" or the showcases did ).

I liked FFV showcase for example, it was quite a good one - actually felt like being part of a CSAR NATO team. The mission is short but well designed.

"Bingo fuel" on the other hand is long but not very realistic :( - especially when you have to go to the heart of the enemy zone and steal the truck (second part of the mission).

Same for the mission in which you assault the enemy outpost: nice one until you have to move to Frini and take out the mortar.

Seriously, in both missions, who would actually do it IRL?

So I hope Apex campaign will have a more "realistic" spirit.

wiki in my pointless year long Animation course...I did learn one thing. My lecturer said it doesn't matter what Visual effects of CGI you bolt on to your work. Its the story. CGI wont cover the gaping holes in your story.

Get that right and the rest falls into place.

Look at how many Reboots in Hollywood have been lack luster because they trying to recapture the magic and add nothing new except modern effects.

Transformers. Jerry Bruckheimer's way of movie making is add more over the top way out unbelievable effects on an action movie because he may think the audience is stupid and wont enjoy character development or a plot. Now counter that with a historical drama-thriller of say Thirteen Days. 90 percent of the movie was dialog and almost no action. The action was only to reinforce the narrative and I felt it was a good story,. Its scored 4 and half stars out of 5 on IMDB.

So yes believable dialog. Purpose why you doing this. Back story. Built up. Pacing. For all the talk about Genocide on Altis we see maybe 4 civilians shot. Cant remember but we don't see much of that. The opening of Modern Warfare back in the day built up to the invasion as you rode in it an then got popped to end your tour of the war torn city.

You know I agree with you, right?

What I like and expect in military FPS such as ArmA is - short of the gear, vehicles, etc... - a good plot with nice scenario and dialogs, in realistic spirit.

I need to believe in the story - which wasn't in ArmA 3 campaign.

The prologue campaign was nice though, much better.

I did feel like I was an OMLT member - and the story made perfect sense.

For example, in CoD MW, it's like a Hollywood blockbuster, but the way the action and the story are made make me believe it.

Modern Warfares have really over the top campaigns and they were good, I was easily drawn into it and enjoyed it. The gameplay was linear as carousel, but good story was what kept you intersted and wanted you to go on. Truh be told, MWs set a new standards and now it's hard to live up to them. A3 doesn't need over the top MW like campaign, but it also doesn't need current lame one, again all missions had a good potential but they were all rushed with poor story.

Who cares about Battlefield 1. Let the g̶o̶o̶d̶  APEX times roll.

Anyway what weapons do you think will appear in APEX. Talking assault rifles and Medium Machine guns if any?

Who cares about Battlefield 1. Let the g̶o̶o̶d̶  APEX times roll.

Anyway what weapons do you think will appear in APEX. Talking assault rifles and Medium Machine guns if any?

Auto Pistols. G-18. 

darksidesixofficial I see based on vanilla only content. That is default Arma 3 with the two DLC's only. We need either a secondary weapon slot over an above a Sniper Rifle or a Personal defense weapon like a HK MP7 when carrying a DMR/ Sniper Rifle. Pistols are only worth something close and currently none are fully automatic or have high cap mags. Also a sub machine gun holstered in your thigh holster LOL.

And with the AI wicked good getting in close to nail the AI while he shoots at you may be a hard challenge especially when you in the open. But yes a greater variety of Pistols with attachments and sub sonic ammo with High Cap mags is needed.

I had hoped with the Marksmen DLC we could have had a Secondary Weapon slot. Standard shoulder hung position and front of chest 3 point sling as secondary. Interesting when you or the AI climb a ladder the weapon attaches to your chest area.

• Like 1

I would like more LMGs (Mark has them, more couldn't hurt) and one usage disposable AT, like AT-4, both Anti-armor and Anti-infantry versions. 

• Like 1