Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

I may have some news. Its really not Earth shattering.

And we kinda of just going in circles here as we have no news. So I thought I may share this here. Anyway it could be just Jay Crowe and company passing a joke to my persistance. I was curious if a tropical jungle would have monkeys IE Tanoa. So I asked on Twitter. I was basically told...be on the look out for Crocs. So that may be interesting especillay if you breast stroking down a mangrove swamp and you get munched on. It would be for Arma something new as the wildlife actually does more then just be there.

• Like 1

Wild life in Arma and especially with the editor seems very hard to implement.

Without even taking the AI or performances into consideration.

Guess we stuck with goats LOL.

Here is something I am curious about from a financial marketing. Grow your brand perspective. I will chalk this up to speculation. But with BIS very hush hush on Apex. Do you feel it has given you doubts as whether to buy it now via pre-order or later? Are you holding out because you want more info. Or did it come down to pre-ordering as you are a die hard fan no matter what?

I would have anticipated a larger launch earlier on with alot more information on content. I wonder if BIS is doing themselves a favour being so quiet. I had actually hoped in January 2016 we would have seen a systematic ramp up to launch. But I cant quite put my finger on it why there is this much secrecy. In light with people want a show of faith when purchasing something.

I spent a good number of minutes reading on Steam regards to the Marksmen DLC. Almost all the comments were negative as in cost too high. Content too little. Could the silence be to protect a brand as in not get us so hyped that when we do get it and if its average we will say oh well they didnt promise much. I can live with it. My biggest fear is the year long development will net us alot of reskins. Few new vechicles...there has only been two confirmed vechicle classes. And a co-op campaign as a stop gap for lack of content.

Being in marketing and branding myself. Their prized jewel post Arma 3 launch is very non existant on the facts department.

Wildlife hype, #Crocadiles, #Tigersconfirmed?

Lmao, no but seriously, if they're going to add real wildlife like predators they better be an actual danger to a person. Come to think of it, I wonder if they could get wildlife working as good as they do in DayZ. Now THAT would be an epic feature.

• Like 1

darksidesixofficialI hope Jay Crowe was serious. But yeah it would be a neat feature to make jungles alive and deadly past infantry lurking in rose bush hedges. Surely its do able. That Velociraptor mod anyone. One of the Devs was working on Animal AI. It was a dog. Maybe that means something deeper...speculation.

On one side, the possible animal AI implementation wouldn't be really that hard.

If we understand "animal AI" like in Far Cry, aka if you get closer they run against you and bite (kind of what happens with the DayZ and clones zombies).

On the other hand the devs implicitly commented that they took inspirations from other games. So I think it's a possibility for Apex. Specially having in mind that in jungle warfare the "nature" factor is quite important in survival (usually soldiers fight more against the environment than against actual human enemies). That applies too to underwater warfare (sharks, sea lions, etc); some US Navy's SEALs are known for their encounters with predators.

That wildlife can also be easily adapted to the editor, both using individual spawn-able animals (we already have the rabbit) and with area modules (we have it too for other animals, like goats). There could be also animal-free areas like the editor's grass-cuter module.

In any case, seems that's still going to take some time until we get any basic information on the expansion. Which IMHO it's kind of weird, having in mind that it has been in pre-order for longer than a month (meaning BI are selling a product they are not telling almost anything about it's content, kind of a "secret box"). But every company has its internal policies. 

• Like 2

Guess we stuck with goats LOL.

Here is something I am curious about from a financial marketing. Grow your brand perspective. I will chalk this up to speculation. But with BIS very hush hush on Apex. Do you feel it has given you doubts as whether to buy it now via pre-order or later? Are you holding out because you want more info. Or did it come down to pre-ordering as you are a die hard fan no matter what?

I would have anticipated a larger launch earlier on with alot more information on content. I wonder if BIS is doing themselves a favour being so quiet. I had actually hoped in January 2016 we would have seen a systematic ramp up to launch. But I cant quite put my finger on it why there is this much secrecy. In light with people want a show of faith when purchasing something.

I spent a good number of minutes reading on Steam regards to the Marksmen DLC. Almost all the comments were negative as in cost too high. Content too little. Could the silence be to protect a brand as in not get us so hyped that when we do get it and if its average we will say oh well they didnt promise much. I can live with it. My biggest fear is the year long development will net us alot of reskins. Few new vechicles...there has only been two confirmed vechicle classes. And a co-op campaign as a stop gap for lack of content.

Being in marketing and branding myself. Their prized jewel post Arma 3 launch is very non existant on the facts department.

Despite being supporter of bohemians pricing and pricing/content strategy for previous DLC I can say that

I haven't preorder yet exactly because of the lack of information.

And I don't particulary care about content as much as features and gameplay features are the biggest selling point for me

that is missing.What major new system will they introduce?chambering weapon, switching weapon while

moving, windage, phyX overhaul?

New VTOL, and lighter strike vehicle doesn't sound enticing without concret info.

On one side, the possible animal AI implementation wouldn't be really that hard.

If we understand "animal AI" like in Far Cry, aka if you get closer they run against you and bite (kind of what happens with the DayZ and clones zombies).

On the other hand the devs implicitly commented that they took inspirations from other games. So I think it's a possibility for Apex. Specially having in mind that in jungle warfare the "nature" factor is quite important in survival (usually soldiers fight more against the environment than against actual human enemies). That applies too to underwater warfare (sharks, sea lions, etc); some US Navy's SEALs are known for their encounters with predators.

That wildlife can also be easily adapted to the editor, both using individual spawn-able animals (we already have the rabbit) and with area modules (we have it too for other animals, like goats). There could be also animal-free areas like the editor's grass-cuter module.

In any case, seems that's still going to take some time until we get any basic information on the expansion. Which IMHO it's kind of weird, having in mind that it has been in pre-order for longer than a month (meaning BI are selling a product they are not telling almost anything about it's content, kind of a "secret box"). But every company has its internal policies.

Agree. Wildlife is something that would make Arma entirely more interesting. It used to be in Arma2, except on much more basic and boring level. Rabbits, of course. In Arma 3's release, we got harmless snakes, despite the fact they were skilled enough to open doors. But as you mentioned, having area's module zones, in order to keep certain animals and possible more interest predators in areas like dense jungle and rural areas of the Island nations, it would bring an entirely new gaming experience that would really surprise and dazzle, possibly even scare the shit out of even the most Veteran of players. Speculating that BI are considering such an option that is. It would indeed be something worth doing.

• Like 1

I would have anticipated a larger launch earlier on with alot more information on content. I wonder if BIS is doing themselves a favour being so quiet. I had actually hoped in January 2016 we would have seen a systematic ramp up to launch.

Your timeframe is definitely off, considering how Bohemia had already emphasized for months that Q1 was Eden and Q2 was Apex, and as Eden got closer were here-and-there words to the effect that Bohemia was (narrowly or tightly, your pick) focusing on Eden up to its release -- a whopping nearly-five months from livestream/dev branch to stable, anyone? This isn't to imply that they paused Apex development of course but in terms of what they'll talk about in public... plus there's the Tasks Overhaul (superseding the existing Tasks Enhancements system) that darksidesixofficial alluded to, which (along with the Difficulty Overhaul) is scheduled for the v1.58 "#RoadToApex" update.

I spent a good number of minutes reading on Steam regards to the Marksmen DLC. Almost all the comments were negative as in cost too high. Content too little.

So basically what people were claiming already about Helicopters? Where's that one post where Dwarden laments the BAF/PMC DLCs for setting people's expectations too high... or the CEO Maruk saying that "The library of content present in Arma 2 is simply overwhelming, and in hindsight might not be commercially justifiable for a single game."

Could the silence be to protect a brand as in not get us so hyped that when we do get it and if its average we will say oh well they didnt promise much.

Nailed it: here's the root of Bohemia's quiet; you can blame how often "<insert a bunch of stuff from 2011> was an in-game proof-of-concept that we unfortunately showed in an overly enthusiastic mood before we re-evaluated our ORBAT :)" for their seeming swing in the opposite direction.

(For a hindsight comparison, note that Bohemia 'only' finalized the Marksmen DLC-accompanying features in December 2014, confirmed seven rifles/two machine guns and weapon stabilization in January 2015, then did the First Look stream a month before the stable branch release/update.)

Agree. Wildlife is something that would make Arma entirely more interesting. It used to be in Arma2, except on much more basic and boring level. Rabbits, of course. In Arma 3's release, we got harmless snakes, despite the fact they were skilled enough to open doors. But as you mentioned, having area's module zones, in order to keep certain animals and possible more interest predators in areas like dense jungle and rural areas of the Island nations, it would bring an entirely new gaming experience that would really surprise and dazzle, possibly even scare the shit out of even the most Veteran of players. Speculating that BI are considering such an option that is. It would indeed be something worth doing.

something like that is more than suffice

• Like 1

Your timeframe is definitely off, considering how Bohemia had already emphasized for months that Q1 was Eden and Q2 was Apex, and as Eden got closer were here-and-there words to the effect that Bohemia was (narrowly or tightly, your pick) focusing on Eden up to its release -- a whopping nearly-five months from livestream/dev branch to stable, anyone? This isn't to imply that they paused Apex development of course but in terms of what they'll talk about in public... plus there's the Tasks Overhaul (superseding the existing Tasks Enhancements system) that darksidesixofficial alluded to, which (along with the Difficulty Overhaul) is scheduled for the v1.58 "#RoadToApex" update.

So basically what people were claiming already about Helicopters? Where's that one post where Dwarden laments the BAF/PMC DLCs for setting people's expectations too high... or the CEO Maruk saying that "The library of content present in Arma 2 is simply overwhelming, and in hindsight might not be commercially justifiable for a single game."

Nailed it: here's the root of Bohemia's quiet; you can blame how often "<insert a bunch of stuff from 2011> was an in-game proof-of-concept that we unfortunately showed in an overly enthusiastic mood before we re-evaluated our ORBAT :)" for their seeming swing in the opposite direction.

(For a hindsight comparison, note that Bohemia 'only' finalized the Marksmen DLC-accompanying features in December 2014, confirmed seven rifles/two machine guns and weapon stabilization in January 2015, then did the First Look stream a month before the stable branch release/update.)

I left you a message. Dont want to clog up this thread

Despite being supporter of bohemians pricing and pricing/content strategy for previous DLC I can say that

I haven't preorder yet exactly because of the lack of information.

And I don't particulary care about content as much as features and gameplay features are the biggest selling point for me

that is missing.What major new system will they introduce?chambering weapon, switching weapon while

moving, windage, phyX overhaul?

New VTOL, and lighter strike vehicle doesn't sound enticing without concret info.

Well cheers...here is hoping to some awesome features. About that fast roping again. :wacko: :rolleyes:

Always a pleasure to hear your thoughts. New RHS...Russian Bear and American Eagle Animal Mod.

If ever they release a bear, we're sure Leonardo DiCaprio won't play the game ;-)

But if they announce something that they're finally unable to release, it would be trademarked as "too soontm".

They may just tease it a short time before the release, just to avoid a hype-drop.

I really hope we get working rivers/ponds and animals would be good as well. The game world feels so still and lifeless sometimes.

I really hope we get working rivers/ponds and animals would be good as well. The game world feels so still and lifeless sometimes.

If any of these eats fps, then I can live without them. :) Imho emphasis should be on fixing engine where possible, AI and content. I find it interesting that people wish for fast roping and more animals, when you still cant throw a grenade with precision or AI hold a decent tank formation. :) It´s a not a farming sim...

If any of these eats fps, then I can live without them. :) Imho emphasis should be on fixing engine where possible, AI and content. I find it interesting that people wish for fast roping and more animals, when you still cant throw a grenade with precision or AI hold a decent tank formation. :) It´s a not a farming sim...

i put grenades places so well it freaks out my squadmates. Throwing a grenade shouldn't have pin point accuracy, as it doesn't irl. It just takes some practice.

• Like 1

i put grenades places so well it freaks out my squadmates. Throwing a grenade shouldn't have pin point accuracy, as it doesn't irl. It just takes some practice.

Indeed, throwing grenades is much harder than it might seem. There are military competitions on grenade throwing accuracy and most will be shocked by how hard it is.

What I meant, is that you can´t adjust your lob in any way with vanilla. Also one keypress instant grenade throw is a bit silly considering it is a really demanding two hand operation irl.

Instead of the sway debacle they could have made a "realism" mode for grenades, where grenades are considered as a weapon slot of it own and would require lowering your main weapon for the time of activating and throwing a grenade. Now you can just run and lob grenades as you want. :) Had kinda hope they would fix it for APEX but as it will probably be more content oriented than feature oriented there is pretty much no chance for getting a fix..

What I meant, is that you can´t adjust your lob in any way with vanilla. Also one keypress instant grenade throw is a bit silly considering it is a really demanding two hand operation irl.

Instead of the sway debacle they could have made a "realism" mode for grenades, where grenades are considered as a weapon slot of it own and would require lowering your main weapon for the time of activating and throwing a grenade. Now you can just run and lob grenades as you want. :) Had kinda hope they would fix it for APEX but as it will probably be more content oriented than feature oriented there is pretty much no chance for getting a fix..

Completely agree. Grenades are kinda arcadie. Not to be seen as onto the next thing. There is alot that can be refined or replaced. Watching videos on Grenade training it is a two handed operation. But in light how often AI throw grenades. Wont human players be further hamstrung with lowering of weapons while they can plaster you with hot lead.

Yeah, I understand now. I agree. However Arma 2's way was super wonky, so maybe they could get this fixed. Only issue o see now is AI using it, as AI just recently got trained to start using smokes and what not effectively in combat.

Yet Arma has far more non-soldier movement than any other military game i can think of. Debris, bugs, pollen, snakes, rabbits, fish is pretty decent thru that lens. Far Cry is a solo adventure shooter so would be expected to have more fleshed out and fantastical encounters. That said, love to see different breed of snakes, a plethora of birds with different behaviours ie parrots hang on branches while hawks/vultures soar, a few mammals, shark, dolphin and rays.

The problem is games devs make an animal and then feel the need to showcase it constantly taking the wow effect away in less than a gaming session. Make them sporadic or rare! I see pigeon and sparrow every day in life so barely notice them yet ill never forget then day I saw a toucan in the rain forests of Costa Rica - foster that I say.

Besides wildlife natural landmarks can have just as large a memorable impact. Streams in a glade, waterpools and falls and unusual rock formations can do the same job -a trip thru the Beta of Kingdom Come Deliverance is a good example of this -simply stunning recreation of deep woods.

Yet Arma has far more non-soldier movement than any other military game i can think of. Debris, bugs, pollen, snakes, rabbits, fish is pretty decent thru that lens. Far Cry is a solo adventure shooter so would be expected to have more fleshed out and fantastical encounters. That said, love to see different breed of snakes, a plethora of birds with different behaviours ie parrots hang on branches while hawks/vultures soar, a few mammals, shark, dolphin and rays.

The problem is games devs make an animal and then feel the need to showcase it constantly taking the wow effect away in less than a gaming session. Make them sporadic or rare! I see pigeon and sparrow every day in life so barely notice them yet ill never forget then day I saw a toucan in the rain forests of Costa Rica - foster that I say.

Besides wildlife natural landmarks can have just as large a memorable impact. Streams in a glade, waterpools and falls and unusual rock formations can do the same job -a trip thru the Beta of Kingdom Come Deliverance is a good example of this -simply stunning recreation of deep woods.

Good thing you brought up Far Cry. Bohemia themselves said they were aiming for a better jungle than Far Cry's. Now, weather or not that means visually or via. Experience, it'd be interesting to see. I wouldn't mind some kind of simple predator of any kind, as long as it's not buggy or glitchy, I wouldn't mind if they added in some wild life that could pose a threat. Who knows though. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I hope for great ambient live, even if just in sound. Really, it improves a scene a lot if the sound is right. (Though, flocks of birds would be awesome too)