Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

Looks like some bloke from Papua New Guinea.

I see the cannibals have upgraded. Yes very different to if you Google Fiji military.

I'm seeing the same issue. Especially the fact that the VTOLs like to go nosediving while in vectoring mode when reducing speed. Landing requires a ridiculously long period of reducing speed, almost crashing, increasing speed and so on. I really can't imagine them making a precise landing with the current configuration.

Edit: Figured it out. In vectoring mode it's possible to adjust the rotor/nozzle position manually by using flaps up/down. Maybe we could rename this action in vectoring mode to represent what it actually does.

I'm not having any instability issues, or nosediving while in vectoring mode, they fly just fine for me.

They do respond slowly, but heck, the thing is basically a C-130, it's not going to fly like a littlebird.

The VTOLs are stable, you just need a little more practice, and you'll get it down.

To keep these VTOLs realistic, they shouldn't fly like helicopters, they are giant aircraft, weighing many tons, keep the handling the way it is currently. 

• Like 1

This is weird: I just checked with a friend who had no problems whatsoever flying the VTOLs. Interestingly enough, his propellers/nozzles act the way they're supposed to, switching position depending on if he's in vectoring or not (while this didn't happen for me). Also, he's unable to manually control their position while in vectoring mode, whereas I can use flaps up/down to adjust them to 5 different positions. For him, it just does the flaps (in the Blackfish), whether he's in vectoring or not.

There is something really strange going on here. Maybe it's because I'm using a joystick.

This is weird: I just checked with a friend who had no problems whatsoever flying the VTOLs. Interestingly enough, his propellers/nozzles act the way they're supposed to, switching position depending on if he's in vectoring or not (while this didn't happen for me). Also, he's unable to manually control their position while in vectoring mode, whereas I can use flaps up/down to adjust them to 5 different positions. For him, it just does the flaps (in the Blackfish), whether he's in vectoring or not.

There is something really strange going on here. Maybe it's because I'm using a joystick.

Interesting.

I'm using keyboard, mouse, and pedals. 

I cannot control the angle of the props. They automatically point straight up in vector mode to allow stable slow speed flight.

You should do a test with your joystick turned off, and see what happens.

Hey i got one question, will the V-44 Blackfish later support Sling Loading?

Just like this.

I don't think it is a good idea to post glitches and explots videos publicly anyway, I would rather recommend to send them to the devs by PM.

Hey i got one question, will the V-44 Blackfish later support Sling Loading?

Just like this.

I don't think that is possible since the VTOLs are planeX, not helicopterX, and therefor cannot slingload.

Interesting.

I'm using keyboard, mouse, and pedals. 

I cannot control the angle of the props. They automatically point straight up in vector mode to allow stable slow speed flight.

You should do a test with your joystick turned off, and see what happens.

Can confirm, it's the joystick. As soon as I start Arma with the joystick plugged in, vector mode doesn't work automatically as it should and I can instead manually control the angle of the rotors/nozzles using flaps up/down.

Without the joystick, everything works as intended.

Edit: It's the joystick for me, but other people don't seem to have issues with joysticks

Flew with joystick several times, vectoring worked fine.

Well, after yesterday's update, it looks like Blackfish handling has immensely improved. Have to land in wide open spaces, cause I don't think I'll ever be able to manage a precision drop. But if I can't land precisely where I'm trying to, at least now I can land with a stable flight path, and its now correctly called vectoring rather than auto-hover.

As far as the yian goes, still ridiculous handling. Though for that matter, its a ridiculous design. No flaps, no rudders, and chunky. Thankfully, I have no need of its services, and its one big target to shoot at. :D

Well, after yesterday's update, it looks like Blackfish handling has immensely improved. Have to land in wide open spaces, cause I don't think I'll ever be able to manage a precision drop. But if I can't land precisely where I'm trying to, at least now I can land with a stable flight path, and its now correctly called vectoring rather than auto-hover.

As far as the yian goes, still ridiculous handling. Though for that matter, its a ridiculous design. No flaps, no rudders, and chunky. Thankfully, I have no need of its services, and its one big target to shoot at. :D

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Xi'an either. It's a big fat ugly thing.

Also, it has it's jets pointed down onto it's own ramp, cooking the troops as they depart.

• Like 4

Also, it has it's jets pointed down onto it's own ramp, cooking the troops as they depart.

Ah, but it's to the ​sides so it probably doesn't cook their troops. Besides, did you not notice the funky heater/cooler suit and 3/4 helmet they wear? It is a bit of a weird design choice yes but there are excuses they've probably cooked up (like those) to excuse it. I mean we're not talking afterburning fighter fans or high bypass cargo fans, we're probably talking about something meant for charter jets and light aircraft. And besides, the jets are going to be idle on the ground making them safe to be around for the duration you're getting on and off. You don't want to be there any longer than you have to, but you're not gonna get roasted just getting in and out, and I wouldn't put it past the in-world designers to have thought of this very issue and come up with some jet cutoff, redirection, or something of the like. Then again just vectoring the things forwards is probably what BIS really had in mind for it but it might have turned out to be tougher to get it that way than they thought

Ah, but it's to the ​sides so it probably doesn't cook their troops. Besides, did you not notice the funky heater/cooler suit and 3/4 helmet they wear? It is a bit of a weird design choice yes but there are excuses they've probably cooked up (like those) to excuse it. I mean we're not talking afterburning fighter fans or high bypass cargo fans, we're probably talking about something meant for charter jets and light aircraft. And besides, the jets are going to be idle on the ground making them safe to be around for the duration you're getting on and off. You don't want to be there any longer than you have to, but you're not gonna get roasted just getting in and out, and I wouldn't put it past the in-world designers to have thought of this very issue and come up with some jet cutoff, redirection, or something of the like. Then again just vectoring the things forwards is probably what BIS really had in mind for it but it might have turned out to be tougher to get it that way than they thought

~ 800 Â°C

J6ywS2G.jpg

apparently 200 on idle

edit: this is not an afterburner

~ 800 Â°C

J6ywS2G.jpg

apparently 200 on idle

If i'm not mistaken that's an F-35, notice my post:

I mean we're not talking afterburning fighter fans or high bypass cargo fans, we're probably talking about something meant for charter jets and light aircraft.

If i'm not mistaken that's an F-35, notice my post:

Firstly: I agree with Hvymtal...

If that is an F-35 lightning II, then that is not a good example to use...

The F-35 has a high powered fighter jet engine that burns 100 degrees Celsius hotter than any other top of the line fighter jet today.

The Xi'an, however, is a slow transport that doesn't have the ability to use afterburner and judging from the speed and acceleration it possesses with two engines, does not use the hotter, higher performance engines that fighter aircraft use, especially not the F-35.

Lastly: there is also the possibility that the hot air is not even mainly vented on the ramp when it is at idle. If yo look carefully, there is exhaust streaming from the bend in the nozzles when vectoring is engaged. This could mean that when on idle, the hot exhaust is let out this way, and not through the nozzles and down on the ramp...

Another (and hopefully the last) update on the VTOL issue: I've been able to isolate it to the way my joystick (Logitech Attack 3) controls analogue thrust. Whenever I'm using the keyboard to control the thrust ('left shift' to increase and 'y' to brake) everything works as intended and when coming out of horizontal flight, enabling vectoring mode and reducing thrust, the rotors/nozzles switch to the hovering position as they should. It's only when I'm using my joystick to control analogue thrust that this does not work and I can instead manually control 5 degrees of rotation on the rotors/nozzles by using flaps up/down. One tap of the "Decrease thrust" keyboard key 'y', will solve this though, the rotors/nozzles go into hovering position and I can use the joystick's thrust control to finish the landing attempt without problems.

Since there are people who don't have any joystick problems, I'm guessing it's just the way my (and possibly other) joysticks control the analogue thrust. Maybe it never truly goes down to zero thrust and instead just something close to it and the engine therefore thinks it's something different from what I see in the behavior of the vehicle. There is definitely a discrepancy there.

Because I haven't seen anything similar yet, I filed a bug report on the feedback tracker. Please add more information if you have something.

• Like 1

How is the Xi-An ugly? It's like a Hind with wings! XD

Ok i agree, the Xi-An, even though creative, isn't the best design BI has made, that's for sure, but it's not the worst either. But hey, this is what happens when Dev's want to get funky and add their own spice to their game. I mean look at Just Cause, they do the same thing, except their designs are pretty close to real vehicles, with a few twists here and there. It's just Dev's having fun doing their job. Then the Xi-An just look terrifying from the front.

lol. I don't remember complementing the hind's looks, either... :lol:

Just out of curiosity, if the Xian isn't the worst vehicle design, which one is?

lol. I don't remember complementing the hind's looks, either... :lol:

Just out of curiosity, if the Xian isn't the worst vehicle design, which one is?

Hmmm... You know what, now that i think about it, it is kinda the ugliest our of the Stealth A-10, Taru, and Huron.

Hmmm... You know what, now that i think about it, it is kinda the ugliest our of the Stealth A-10, Taru, and Huron.

The Taru, despite being inspired by a real vehicle, looks like a big "nope" for me. Aside of it, Huron is ok for me, and I like the coherence between it and other NATO helicopters.

Tastes are weird. I totally love the Taru, but can't get warm with that new Hind-like mutation. :>

• Like 1

The day everybody like the same things, work will be way easier for artists :p

Ok guys, I thought of something about the apex expansions lack of vehicles. BI have added 10 new models, yes. But what if BI have added/ are working on variants of existing vehicles and aren't going to reveal them to the public until release. The different variants would be put into vanilla, of course, after APEX releases. E.g. a proper attach version of the Blackfoot (Comanche), different versions of the Hunter (M-ATV) seen here: http://oshkoshdefense.com/vehicles/m-atv/# .This would apply to other vehicles as well.

• Like 1