Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

So you still think that porting a mod into the vanilla game does not cost money? The modder gets paid (fair enough) but BI needs to work for free? That not how it works........ and wenn they start doing that it will mean the end of the ARMA franchise...... why would a player buy a DLC/expansion wenn a mod maker can get paid (much cheaper than BI development cost of course) with kickstarter and BI adds the mod for free to vanilla.

Send with mobile

Thats what i have written:

Yea, but they only adding functions to the game. The idea is that artists can create models ONLY for arma3 vanillia. Like the CSGO skins (the artists also get some money).

I said that bi get money and the artists. I hate DLC's. Thats why i would recommend something else as dlc's. The problem is that if we get a boat dlc, plane dlc, ... the new players wont spend money on every dlc. And that would mean the end for ARMA 3 if only the "hardcore" community buys them. They need free content so that new players have a reason to play it. And modders are the best way because they making great stuff.

Thats what i have written:

I said that bi get money and the artists. I hate DLC's. Thats why i would recommend something else as dlc's. The problem is that if we get a boat dlc, plane dlc, ... the new players wont spend money on every dlc. And that would mean the end for ARMA 3 if only the "hardcore" community buys them. They need free content so that new players have a reason to play it. And modders are the best way because they making great stuff.

So you need to buy each piece of "content" from BI (you paid for it to artist/BI) and get it to vanilla.... why do that if it is for free as a mod? You think it is just a copy and paste story for BI? well that's not how it actually works......(explained already that it is not that easy) hence to keep a part of content up to date after every stable update, have you ever checked how many mod makers are not happy after every "big update"? And if so the piece of content is now under BI controle, the mod maker will not work on it anymore as he will be working on new stuff what he can sell to BI, meaning that BI eeds to keep updating those peices of content, and have you ever checked how many pieces of content are availble on steamworkshop (and Armaholic and so on)? if they make that all vanilla who gets to keep that up to date? BI for free?

Because over 5000 pieces of content are available from small addons to entire maps/mission campaigns, and not even to speak about mod conflicts not every mod can go with a other mod........ hence not to even speak of the file size ARMA3 will become...... because if maps are going to hit vanilla ARMA3 should have at least a 3 TB space to install.

But what I understand you are just not in the mood to download "content" and activate it,

Send with mobile

Alternative method : content of DLCs is free for everybody, except the first month/weeks. Those who can't wait or who feel involved pay for it, the others wait a longer time and get it for free.

So you need to buy each piece of "content" from BI (you paid for it to artist/BI) and get it to vanilla.... why do that if it is for free as a mod? You think it is just a copy and paste story for BI? well that's not how it actually works......(explained already that it is not that easy) hence to keep a part of content up to date after every stable update, have you ever checked how many mod makers are not happy after every "big update"? And if so the piece of content is now under BI controle, the mod maker will not work on it anymore as he will be working on new stuff what he can sell to BI, meaning that BI eeds to keep updating those peices of content, and have you ever checked how many pieces of content are availble on steamworkshop (and Armaholic and so on)? if they make that all vanilla who gets to keep that up to date? BI for free?

Youre just thinking too big ^^. I dont want mods integrated in arma3. I want that you can pay modders / BI for new content that all people want. That does not mean every model will be added. If BI says no, its a no. Also i want that modder create content FOR arma 3. For example you have great models and everybody likes the weapon BI has the opportunity to say yes it will be in the game. My idea was only HOW we fund new DLC's / Addons. It should be the community that decides what they want in the next dlc.

I think that BI will have a solution for the next years. I just hope the community will get a chance to influence the future of arma.

• Like 1

Will they push the weapons and vehicles after the E3 Show today for the DEV Build ? 

I think that BI will have a solution for the next years. I just hope the community will get a chance to influence the future of arma.

The community does have such a route, considering how many Arma 3 devs are former community...

@Jack Snow: PC Gaming Show around 3 pm US EDT.

• Like 1

I really don't know how long you have been playing with the ARMA franchise, but it always have been this way: BI delivers game -> mod community creates alle the "extra content".

I see the entire bigger picture hence why I think big! If they even would think about taking this step they need to adjust ALL little writing in the licence agreement! And wenn people/mod makers do not accept them pay back the money the game has cost them.

The way you say it: mod maker creates content wich people can vote for to get in the basic game: SO making it vanilla!

And of course the "good stuff" gets picked up from time to time by BI (DayZ, bipods, HUD as example), you can start voting what you want but still what if other "Content" gets more votes than what you want....(ARMA life will be 1 of the top voted).... that's why all the freedom for modders, BI delivers tool (Even a platform to host on: steamworks!) And the modders create the content, that's has been the way since OFP, Joris Jan got his job at BI because he was 1 of the first mod makers for OFP and his mod got published by BI.

You know if you start this path there is no end..... letting mod makers decide if they want to "sell" their work or not could mean a huge problem, payment in how many hours of work he put in and so on....... and than still BI will need to keep this updated and vanilla.

The previous versions of ARMA had a much smaller group of devs and A3 has at top (around Alpha/bèta) 90 devs working day in day out, that was if I am not correct even double the size of the A2 team. This get paid back in features engine/game updates and DLC/expansion, the rest (other free content) is created by mod makers, they are the beating hart of the community and why the ARMA franchise is still so active, not buying/selling mod content but keeping it free to play with wenn and if you want.

Send with mobile

Does anyone know when today the release date will be announced at e3?

In 5-6 hours on pcgamershow

Send with mobile

Alternative method : content of DLCs is free for everybody, except the first month/weeks. Those who can't wait or who feel involved pay for it, the others wait a longer time and get it for free.

Sarcasme mode: Or let's do it AAA game title style: you want extra content pay a monthly fee! Not paying no extra content. ;-)

Send with mobile

The community does have such a route, considering how many Arma 3 devs are former community...

@Jack Snow: PC Gaming Show around 3 pm US EDT.

The same reason why the focus in on the extra features: Bipod, FFV and so on.

The mod makers will always stay top nodge with their mods for free :-) and some indeed getting a job at BI!

Send with mobile

4.4gb update just got added to dev-branch any ideas guys ? Think its just map fixes

4.4gb update just got added to dev-branch any ideas guys ? Think its just map fixes

32min dl for new update so hard to say could'nt tell what the size was so seems maybe a lil large for just a map update. Looks to be just that though. Now i can go back to bed ty :D

In my humble opinion, the A3 specific DLC's do not cater to a large and/or involved enough target group in order for BI to adopt a psychological based pricing scheme... but then again, I don't have access to their sales projections or accurate internal metrics so I'm just talking for the sake of talking and being a debbie downer. 

• Like 1

I have to try that the next time I buy a car... If it has been used for a few months and weeks I should be able to get it free  :D

• Like 4

Wasn't there some E3 thing going on today? I'll guess it wasn't running yet, because nobody is talking about it, no?

Wasn't there some E3 thing going on today? I'll guess it wasn't running yet, because nobody is talking about it, no?

Yup, at pcgamershow today, Arma 3 Apex release date will be announced. HYPE

I'm betting that units will be staged tomorrow on Dev Branch. :D

4 am in europe?

No. 19:30 UK & Portugal (and Spanish Canary islands), 20:30 CET (most of the EU), 21:30 (Finland, Easter Europe, etc.).