Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

Currently we know about weapons, character and vehicles as much as an year ago at pcgamer unveil of tanoa.

To be precise, we learned about one new vehicle :P

To be precise, we learned about one new vehicle :P

Shoot you are right.

We don't know anything about weapons and characters.

We know about concept sketch of light strike vehicle.

Well the last Saturday in May is the 28th, so assuming that "later this month" means "at the last possible date this month" and the reveal lifestreams usually take place on a Saturday, I would guess that that's the day.

I hope I'm wrong and it is earlier. I've reached the point where I don't really care anymore WHAT is in the Expansion as long as I get to see a few bits of it. Yeah I am getting impatient.

Heh... To this extent, I've already lost my patience long ago, so much as to that I'm actually checking these forums more than I honestly should. In fact, more so that I actually started taking up different languages to pass the time. XD

I have been told this very low key affair is part of the plan and the other argument is if they reveled too early and things got cut . People would have further issue. That may be...BUT! Why no more info about the Island. Vegetation types? Animals? Projected Musical scores. Buildings? Tanoa it seems was finished a while back. In the end I hope its worth it and I hope I am wrong.

Not quite. The footage shown from both the reveal trailer and diary were both dated footage of the map, in early stages, and mock of buildings in which I assume we're just blocks and squares with textures. You can probably notice this too if you realize that all shots (aside from the blue pearl shipping harbor) were distant from infrastructure, except for the very few selection of items they had complete like the small wood dock that Black Element modeled, and a few other houses. I want to see more roads though, more modern architecture and buildings, govenmnet installations, military bases. I expect they've done a number on the map itself since reveal date (as in the map), to now. I expect to blown away, because Altis was pretty damned detailed. Tanoa should be even more so. XD
  • Like 1

A few screenshots of the incoming VTOL would be great.

Not quite. The footage shown from both the reveal trailer and diary were both dated footage of the map, in early stages, and mock of buildings in which I assume we're just blocks and squares with textures. You can probably notice this too if you realize that all shots (aside from the blue pearl shipping harbor) were distant from infrastructure, except for the very few selection of items they had complete like the small wood dock that Black Element modeled, and a few other houses. I want to see more roads though, more modern architecture and buildings, govenmnet installations, military bases. I expect they've done a number on the map itself since reveal date (as in the map), to now. I expect to blown away, because Altis was pretty damned detailed. Tanoa should be even more so. XD

I've noticed that all footages were coming from a close location (the area between the harbour/the mine). There still is a big part of the archipelago that we haven't seen yet.

darksidesixofficial I will eat my hat but I think the most built up area is only Blue Pearl Harbor. I assume based on what I saw of Tanoa...that rest is basically a few parse villages, some "Mud huts" and a few shacks passing of as villages. Yes I know no Mud huts. That's the thing. The official story says is its a mineral rich Island but heavily exploited. So does that mean a few more towns and decentish 1st World housing? Or is it the rich governors/President's little Villa in Blue Pearl and the rest of Tanoas citizens live in abject poverty.

So! As for modern sweeping cities..I don't know. Perhaps it changed. But I got the idea its basically like some Holiday distention thats run down and dying. I would have to look at Fiji more as its based off Fiji. But how much? Maybe this slipped out. But a few months back A BIS Dev released an image on Twitter of a 3D Monorail terminal. I cant say if was a throw away design or something Tanoa related or if it was for some side project. But perhaps we can hop on a monorail and go to set of satellite islands. At this stage I will hold my reservations about how awesome the "New" Tanoa is versus the old reveal. Not saying its bad. But the BIS Dev's seemed to coin the phrase Green hell and I assume the marketing blurb is related to Jungles more so then Towns. Again purely a matter of an opinion.

• Like 1

Just a heads up for some folks, if you think everything is going to run just fine, remember, this is Arma 3, and it looks like Frostbite 4 on Ultra. It is very well likely you will want to seek out upgrading your hardware. I know for a fact I am going to be doing just that. Playing Tanoa on my GT650M may just render me ineffective in combat.

2888784-arma3_tanoa_screenshot_02.jpg

That is a very intimidating forest. BI have also mentioned that if you are planning on using the new Lighting, Screen Space Reflections and fog features, it's going to be demanding. This means performance is going to go down the drain the more you want it to look good. Be prepared. I don't want to see a million complaints about lag when Apex drops but we all know it's coming, and it's going to be cancer.

As a baseline estimate, what does everyone recommend as minimum system requirements for A3-APEX??

AV8R

Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 16.0 GB RAM @ 1600 MHz, and GTX-980 FTW

darksidesixofficial I will eat my hat but I think the most built up area is only Blue Pearl Harbor. I assume based on what I saw of Tanoa...that rest is basically a few parse villages, some "Mud huts" and a few shacks passing of as villages. Yes I know no Mud huts. That's the thing. The official story says is its a mineral rich Island but heavily exploited. So does that mean a few more towns and decentish 1st World housing? Or is it the rich governors/President's little Villa in Blue Pearl and the rest of Tanoas citizens live in abject poverty.

So! As for modern sweeping cities..I don't know. Perhaps it changed. But I got the idea its basically like some Holiday distention thats run down and dying. I would have to look at Fiji more as its based off Fiji. But how much? Maybe this slipped out. But a few months back A BIS Dev released an image on Twitter of a 3D Monorail terminal. I cant say if was a throw away design or something Tanoa related or if it was for some side project. But perhaps we can hop on a monorail and go to set of satellite islands. At this stage I will hold my reservations about how awesome the "New" Tanoa is versus the old reveal. Not saying its bad. But the BIS Dev's seemed to coin the phrase Green hell and I assume the marketing blurb is related to Jungles more so then Towns. Again purely a matter of an opinion.

Agreed, perhaps the challenge will come when the community starts Modding, Adapting Missions like Wasteland and Domination, and trying to enrich every detail in the graphics.  I assume the DEVs have top-of-the-line, Commercial Grade platforms to create this stuff...I just hope someone with an average 3.6 - 4.2 CPU and 970/980 equivalent card can make this enjoyable!

AV8R

As a baseline, i personally don't know. However, i will tell you the two things i have so far that i'm going to include in my future PC build specifically for running Arma 3 Apex the best possible.

1-GTX-970 4gb

2-Intel Core i7-4790K processor (8m cache - 4.4GHz)16gb RAM

3-Some kind of SSD (un decided yet)

That's all i have so far in my private notes. I'm no expert. XD (and yes, i'm aware i5 and i7 are practically the same, just one being more expensive. I'm willing to pay a few more dollars for top notch potential)

darksidesixofficial I also looked at a set up similar to yours. If and when I can afford it.

The SSD is a must I also read as it increased load times.

That said I seen a few videos of ArmA 3 on a 970. I cant say if it all Graphical setting were maxed out-Everything. But I would go rather for a 980 for Tanoa...in case. And lastly perhaps you should hold out a bit longer till Q3. Rumor has it that nVidia will launch the Pascal GPU.

As a baseline, i personally don't know. However, i will tell you the two things i have so far that i'm going to include in my future PC build specifically for running Arma 3 Apex the best possible.

1-GTX-970 4gb

2-Intel Core i7-4790K processor (8m cache - 4.4GHz)16gb RAM

3-Some kind of SSD (un decided yet)

That's pretty much what I have (I have a diff processor, but similar power). And for now in Altis with the new lighting works nicely, so hopefully Tanoa will be the same  :)

• Like 1

Wow that topic is missing some activity today. I'll take care of it.

Do you think that they will release today's Sitrep very late as last week?

And do you think that it will bring us some valuable intels?

Their was no revolution in dev-branch this week, so what will they talk about?

Expansion is 2 months away, if they follow up on what they did with game launch new content will be available soon in dev branch.

I think that this would be a good point to start filing a page or two with speculations regarding the exact date when they will release the first content batch on dev branch.  

Who's with me?!

Allow me to start... Soonâ„¢

Apex release:
June, 30th.

Dev Branch release:

May, 31st.

I think that this would be a good point to start filing a page or two with speculations regarding the exact date when they will release the first content batch on dev branch.  

The releases have usually been done on livestreams on Saturday, so I would guess that one of the upcoming SITREPS will announce an APEX live stream on the next Saturday and someone will "completely randomly" press some button that will release the stuff onto the devbranch.

My guess is the 21st or the 28th... but I'd love to see it released on the 7th.

I follow Alwarren thinking about the release on dev-branch periode.

Soonest :

If a Live Stream is announced tonight (May 3th), it would take place on Saturday, 7th May. Dev branch version can be enabled as soon as the Stream end.

If there is no Stream announced tonight, it wouldn't be announced before May 10th and wouldn't take place before May 14th.

Latest :

Stable is supposed to be released before June 30th, the dev release will be out before that.

Still, as they aim to release a stable update each 4 weeks, and as the last update was on the last Thursday of April, 1.60 should be release on May 19th and 1.62 (considering it's Apex) should be on June 16th.

However I can't get the dev branch tests length out of my crystal ball more precisely than at least 1 week.

So basically, window opportunity is between May 7th and June 23th.

If there is no Stream announced tonight, it can be reduced to May 14th to June 23th.

The releases have usually been done on livestreams on Saturday, so I would guess that one of the upcoming SITREPS will announce an APEX live stream on the next Saturday and someone will "completely randomly" press some button that will release the stuff onto the devbranch.

My guess is the 21st or the 28th... but I'd love to see it released on the 7th.

The Old button push routine....I remember that for EDen :rolleyes: .

I bet my guess will be the right one :P

Yeah, and nobody believed it at first.

They had to say "yes, it's live NOW! go check our dev branch version" and then everyone was just like "OMG!!!"

Was the same for Zeus. DnA came into the frame with a laptop, and said "When we are going to release it? Right now *pushes button*". With Eden, I literally said to someone during the stream "I bet they will release it at the end". I'm hoping things will go the same way this time :)

"Take a breath and calm down 2-5" as Captain Steele would say.

We don't even know whether there will be a stream or not.

I think today's sitrep will be disappointing again.

They was a Live Stream for each major content addition for Arma 3, I don't think that they'll break it for Apex, which is the... apex (seriously?) of Arma 3.

They was a Live Stream for each major content addition for Arma 3, I don't think that they'll break it for Apex, which is the... apex (seriously?) of Arma 3.

I don't say otherwise, I just say it won't be anytime soon.