Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

How did I missed this one!?

"They will also only be available to Apex owners."

So those who don't own Apex will not have to download it.

Wasn't Karts first distributed as an .ebo too, everyone downloads it but it's locked if you don't own it?

All DLC were ebo at the beginning, but everybody (even those who don't own them) downloaded them.

As Apex seems to be downloaded only for those who bought it, those who didn't will not be able to play on missions that involve new vehicles or weapons.

At least, it's an implication of what they tweeted, but I hope I'm wrong.

All DLC were ebo at the beginning, but everybody (even those who don't own them) downloaded them.

As Apex seems to be downloaded only for those who bought it, those who didn't will not be able to play on missions that involve new vehicles or weapons.

At least, it's an implication of what they tweeted, but I hope I'm wrong.

'Available' means 'possible to use'. They'll still be in your game folder, even if you haven't bought Apex. You just can't use them.

'Available' means 'possible to use'. They'll still be in your game folder, even if you haven't bought Apex. You just can't use them.

I'm sincerely glad that there is better explanation than mine.

Kind of what the assets of the DLC: you can't use them, but not having them won't be game breaking.

But that's just speculation ;)

Kind of what the assets of the DLC: you can't use them, but not having them won't be game breaking.

But that's just speculation ;)

I'd assume this is correct. However maybe the map isn't dowloaded unless you own the dlc?

I do doubt its the same with the content or it would disallow anyone to include the content in MP missionx for access to those who do have dlc. Similar to how KOTH has the dlc helis buyable IF you have the dlc.

My guess:

You won't be able to play on Tanoa if you don't own the expansion.

However, you will have the model of the other assets (VTOL for example) even if you don't own Apex, but you won't be able to use them.

1- We plan to release the 1.58 main branch update in a few hours

2- it's normally at least 4 weeks between updates => 1.60 at the end of may (at least May 19th)

3- Anything else is for 1.60 or Apex itself. => except if this is a maths OR, it means that Apex is not 1.60 => with second source, Apex could come in 8 weeks. (at least June 16th).

Obviously, without taking into account that they can release it out of their update cycle.

"speculations".

My guess:

You won't be able to play on Tanoa if you don't own the expansion.

+ You will not be able to use the other assets (units, vehicles, units and of course missions). 

It will be the same as it was with OA (beside the fact that it was a standalone).

+ You will not be able to use the other assets (units, vehicles, units and of course missions). 

It will be the same as it was with OA (beside the fact that it was a standalone).

So this doesn't apply anymore then?

We can confirm that this expansion is premium, and will follow our DLC strategy (the terrain being a new aspect as you will need to own the expansion for access). Any vehicles, weapons and other content is treated similarly to the try-before-you-buy approach in Helicopters / Marksmen DLC.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

I.e. you can use the weapons etc. with nag screens. But Tanoa and its map assets are only for owners.

In short, if you don't have the APEX DLC, this means you don't have access to the map, and you also can't touch a single content item from it, except for in the Virtual Arsenal, in which only guns and vehicles can be tested in a limited space. In OA, you would have everything... just in extremely bad quality.

In short, if you don't have the APEX DLC, this means you don't have access to the map, and you also can't touch a single content item from it, except for in the Virtual Arsenal, in which only guns and vehicles can be tested in a limited space. In OA, you would have everything... just in extremely bad quality.

Easy solution is to just buy Apex, it's not like it's very expensive... Most of us have several hundred hours in Arma 3 anyway.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 8

So this doesn't apply anymore then?

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

I.e. you can use the weapons etc. with nag screens. But Tanoa and its map assets are only for owners.

I missed that part, thanks for lighting me up. My above post was just a guess.

That's a good strategy if Bis is doing that move.

Well, in fact it will be the same thing they did with the previous DLC.

Have you seen this new mod in Steam! It looks amazing...

ADR-97 Weapon pack

NOTE: Why would I comment it in this thread? Check the author. 

Great, that's so Stargate-ish :)

• Like 2

"This mod was created by Jakub Horyna (aka BXBX) - an Arma 3 Programmer - in his spare time. It was released as an 'official mod' to help players discover the possibilities of custom content. Enjoy!"

It's weird, Karts were created by another dev on his spare time, but were added as DLC... Why not this time? Why not in  Apex?

"This mod was created by Jakub Horyna (aka BXBX) - an Arma 3 Programmer - in his spare time. It was released as an 'official mod' to help players discover the possibilities of custom content. Enjoy!"

It's weird, Karts were created by another dev on his spare time, but were added as DLC... Why not this time? Why not in  Apex?

Karts were a testbed for their DLC. With this, I suppose that every bit of kit that is in the game will require updating when/if things change (visual upgrade, sound etc), so they might opt to leave it as external for that reason.

I wonder why there are so many placeholder pictures in this mod's files. (data_f_mod\images)

--however, a readme.txt file explain that Jay Crowe is a cheerleader.

Anyone tried it?

It's a nice addon, but when using it, it's too close to the player's face I think, we can barely see the weapon.

Anyone tried it?

It's a nice addon, but when using it, it's too close to the player's face I think, we can barely see the weapon.

I've tried and it's awesome (the orange plastic is a bit weird tho). 

In the actual P90 you have to keep it close to you, so you can't really see much of the weapon in RL. 

• Like 1

I noticed that the CfgPatches lists a "Weapon_arifle_MX_khk_F" which is not referenced anywhere else in any of the other configs within the mod.

The "Weapon_" prefix is always used to denote Zeus weapon pickups, while the "_khk_" suffix is used for any weapons that are coloured in the same light khaki green paint finish that can be found as a variant of the Mk-I EMR and on the green .338 suppressor.

So it looks like we might be getting MX's re-textured in khaki for Apex it seems (if this is a legit teaser, that is).  :P

• Like 4

Tanoa is indeed a good reason to add khaki variants of weapons. MX serie seems to be used everywhere by US-NATO.

--less interesting : in these CfgPatches, there is a mention of "exp b". For now, I had only seen "exp a" files (with end game stuff). So by opening pbo and bin file (data_f_exp_b\config.bin) I found this :

(its a simplified version, I removed things that are not new)

class CfgEditorCategories {

class EdCat_Structures_Tanoa {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorCategories_EdCat_Structures_Tanoa0";
};

class EdCat_Ruins_Tanoa {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorCategories_EdCat_Ruins_Tanoa0";
};

};

class CfgEditorSubcategories {

class EdSubcat_Personnel_Tanoan {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Personnel_Tanoan0";
};

class EdSubcat_Personnel_Camo_Jungle {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Personnel_Camo_Jungle0";
};

class EdSubcat_Residential_Village {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Residential_Village0";
};

class EdSubcat_Residential_City {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Residential_City0";
};

class EdSubcat_Seaports {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Seaports0";
};

class EdSubcat_Trains {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Trains0";
};

class EdSubcat_Machines {
displayName = "$STR_A3_CfgEditorSubcategories_EdSubcat_Machines0";
};

};

some of them might not be new, and I may have missed others, but it's night on my side.