Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

Mediterranean light is quite harsh and contrasted. In a sunny summer day in Barcelona you can get more contrasted photos than the A3 new setting. 

Yes i know , since i been in several Greek islands

but the A3's engine can't properly simulate that - with that contrast also makes some textures really pixelated

/same issue is in the VR too/

(oops double post sorry)

The new water texture looks amazing.For other lighting effects we have to actually play the game,see the light in different time of day and weather conditions.

The new water texture looks amazing.For other lighting effects we have to actually play the game after the patch,see the light in different time of day and weather conditions.

Not home so I can't test, but how about the splendid update + real light v6?

Thing is - in normal day like in afternoon it looks fine but in the morning or evening it just looks wrong

if there was less contrast/saturation like it was before with the old lighting , i guess i will need to experiment with it

Odd, because at least for me, the morning and evening look ok.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/270588452685924798/DE3415C741A125527AFF846655992D32E67BEC6B/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/270588452685929359/0C37BE3997DF025FA0D66E8B7A47052A9601541E/

http://i.imgur.com/xcWZ1H0.jpg

That last picture BTW wasn't mine, however that's quite what it looked like the last time I spent some time in on the coasts of Florida. This is more when the sun has already set and there's still some light. That bluish green is perfection.

For early morning and late evening, it's ok,  but between 17 00 and 19 00 for example, I prefer the older one.

Just a little more speculation on the VTOL's, has anyone proposed the idea of a cross gunship/transport hybrid?

Like suppose it was a quad-rotor Osprey, which I'm crossing my fingers that it is.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffc05.deviantart.net%2Ffs

Solely as a transport, the hold would be huge. It would not make any sense to have this and not have massive passenger cap or perhaps even carry a Marshal APC. However, I think I saw somewhere the obvious problems such an attempt would have, like the glitchy-beyond-hell problems of putting a vehicle into a vehicle.

Solely as a gunship, well NATO just dominated the entire island hands down with overpowered air dominance.

But what if half of the projected cargo space was AC-130 style, and half was C-130 style?

It could have a gunship Vulcan and 40mm, with a reduced ammo as compared to an AC, so while its still a very powerful force to be reckoned with, its not ridiculously OP. Can't shoot 105 BOFORS, and can't shoot the cannons it does have for as long of a duration.

Could probably use 1-2 underbelly CROWS M134.

Since half the hold is weapons systems and ammo storage, then the actual troop part is just the right size to still make sense without the ability to hold an APC and eight dozen troops.

So its a futuristic craft, its armed, its a troop transport, its big, its awesome, and it doesn't have the feeling of OP or of wasted space. It could also sling load anything, including tank or mobile artillery. And for cargo, there could be a crate/cargo pallet built into the cargo hold just for visual effects, with the largest capacity in the game.

Seems like a reasonable trade-off IMO.

Thoughts?

I think it's way too late to suggest content for Apex. Especially big stuff.

If the lead time for Marksmen is any indication (DLC-accompanying features finalized in December 2014, pushed to stable in early April 2015) then it may have been too late for months now for Apex content suggestions.

Perhaps so.

Of course, June is only 2 months away. If things are that finalized that they could do a June release, I'm all for being surprised, but I can't say I'd mind seeing a little of the final designs.

Finally the days of purple hue are almost over. Everything looks very natural with that updated lighting system. One thing though - is it me, or clouds indeed look a bit different?

is it me, or clouds indeed look a bit different?

Their color is affected by the weather and time of day again and it seems their volumetric illumination is better i.e the bottoms are darker than the top

Oddly, Gaijin updated their TrueSKY to where clouds don't spin anymore. However, it looks exceptionally worse when you actually fly close and through them. Makes me appreciate how Arma 3's iteration of TrueSKY is actually quite balanced, at least now on Dev Branch and for the future.

... it seems their volumetric illumination is better i.e the bottoms are darker than the top

Yeah, probably that's why they look more dense.

They're fixed in the respect that the clouds no longer change colors when flying from below to above them. Which is great. They look great all around.

Oddly, Gaijin updated their TrueSKY to where clouds don't spin anymore. However, it looks exceptionally worse when you actually fly close and through them. Makes me appreciate how Arma 3's iteration of TrueSKY is actually quite balanced, at least now on Dev Branch and for the future.

Yeah they look crap up close. Looks amazing at range though. That said Arma's clouds lack the high/middle cirriform, stratocumuliform types. It seemed War Thunder's version of Truesky added those in. 

If you want to read reactions about it, it start at the 19th page of this topic.

I hope all the talk about "Splendid" isn't just reserved for the new Visual Update. While the "Jeep" is okay I guess I am hoping for things that go Boom.

Looks like the jeeps they use in Jurassic Park.

I hope all the talk about "Splendid" isn't just reserved for the new Visual Update. While the "Jeep" is okay I guess I am hoping for things that go Boom.

Looks like the jeeps they use in Jurassic Park.

Already discussed way back on page 19 (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187396-arma-3-apex-news-and-speculations/?p=3004623) ;)

• Like 1

I know, but no one said it about JP - or I may have missed something ;)

• Like 1