Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

Currently, there is an island which they have shown very little of, plus a twin-engine prop plane and some other civ vehicles.

They should maybe play their cards less close to their chest if they want moar pre-order sales. 

Yeah. When was Tanoa revealed? 8 months ago? Now we're 4 months from the projected release, and all we've seen is about 6 screenshots and a reveal trailer that mainly showed the content we saw in the screenshots. Honestly it seems like BIS just couldn't wait to announce something even if they didn't have much to show.

• Like 2

Yeah. When was Tanoa revealed? 8 months ago? Now we're 4 months from the projected release, and all we've seen is about 6 screenshots and a reveal trailer that mainly showed the content we saw in the screenshots. Honestly it seems like BIS just couldn't wait to announce something even if they didn't have much to show.

I think now that Eden is out they are going to start building up the hype about Apex. Until now the focus has been on Eden and Apex would just have been a distraction.

Hype is a risky business. Too much too early and everyone will be bored by d-day.. too little too late and people have moved on to other things or you lose out on your investments.

Better they now focus on giving the community something we have been craving for years a solid 3d editor, and then after its done then throw all their efforts in Apex... And for me the little i got is enough to keeping me guessing and wondering what Tanoa will be like, and when time comes i will have all the info i want....

So patience and then they will deliver something super like always...!

Hope there will be some new stuff regarding the underwater possibilities, some new vehicles or a cavesystem.

Some expansion files made it to the dev branch :

Arma 3\Delta\Addons (after the alpha and beta, gamma was the name of the release and delta should be for the expansion. Lot of content in perspectives)

Arma 3\Exp_MP\Addons

Arma 3\Expansion\Addons

All of them created on 15th February on my side. All of them are empty.

Some expansion files made it to the dev branch :

Arma 3\Delta\Addons (after the alpha and beta, gamma was the name of the release and delta should be for the expansion. Lot of content in perspectives)

Arma 3\Exp_MP\Addons

Arma 3\Expansion\Addons

All of them created on 15th February on my side. All of them are empty.

exp_MP  maybe a secret lab props for  endgame...............

So, I bet this will be the LSV they go for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Strike_Vehicle_(Singapore)

No. Not because I don't want it in, I would love that, but I'm saying no because the design doesn't match any of their concept arts. The closest any of them came to a real life ULCV was one that was extremely similar to the Flyer.

EDIT: So, the way they word it gives me the impression they should have everything come Apex.

Eden Update introduces several game-changing features that stand to improve the platform for years to come. However, it’s important, too, in relation to our upcoming development plans. With this summer’s expansion, Arma 3 Apex, we aim to deliver the ultimate expression of our team’s dedication to the project; a robust, extensible platform of unrivalled combined arms military gameplay (and beyond!).

wiki Apex was slated for release in Q2 which makes June 2016 correct.

Obviously they are busy with some new marketing related artwork, videos, reveals etc. Title graphics maybe. But its odd that the release on Steam has not coincided with anything new. All images and video on Steam are what we have seen. Playing this very close to your chest Jay Crowe :ph34r:

My Speculations

Currently I am thinking BI will add ANZUS Treaty units, maybe as a blufor faction, let me explain. Tanoa is from what we know so far situated in the Papua New Guinea region (Or somewhere close in the pacific) for those of you that do not know where Papua New Guinea is (yes some people don't know) it is situated north east of Australia by around a couple hundred Kilometers. Australia at this time holds a treaty known as the ANZUS Treaty, this involves Australia, New Zealand and the U.S.A. Due to the geographical location of Tanoa we can speculate Australia or even New Zealand could play a role in the expansion, the U.S of course is a given as we are following the story line here.

Australia

Australian units and weapons involved could be machines like an upgraded ASLAV, Stealth F35Bs  (Australia recently bought a shit ton of regular F35Bs), and enhanced UAVS. According to the Sydney Morning Herald "The Australian Army has begun planning for high-tech combat in Asia’s mega-cities, including hotly contested cyber warfare, scientifically enhanced soldiers and killer robots, according to a new Defence Department study." Australian units could possibly have a new DPCU camo aswell however, time will tell.

New Zealand

As for the Kiwis I'm not really to sure. I know the New Zealand Special Forces or, Maori would be perfect on Tanoa type terrain however as for general purpose units probably not. As of 2016 the New Zealand army has under 5000 Full time troops and under 2000 in reserve. So I am leaning toward Australia being the only new faction from the ANZUS Treaty here.

In conclusion I think it is highly likely that ADF (Australian Defence Forces) will take part in the Eastern Wind campaign and I also think the diversity of the units and vehicles will add that little extra punch to an already amazing game (Plus it would be cool to hear some robotic Aussie voices in the game haha).

Pictures relating to my short speculation essay:

f35_cv_in_flight.jpg              ------  F35B

220px-LihirNASA.jpg           ----- Lihir Island (Tanoa Candidate)

Australia's%2Bnew%2Bcamouflage%2Buniform           ----- Australian DPCU Camo (2016)

20150219001103652941-original.jpg?itok=f        ----- Australian ASLAV (2016)

What do you guys think?

Do you think Australia will take part in The East Wind?

Will we see NZ Forces?

Thank you for reading,

Rob

I sadly doubt any AUS or NZ involvement outside of modding. If there is anything it'll be some guy with accent. 

Happy to be proven wrong but we just aren't big enough countries to be involved, unless the expansion turns out to be in Australian Rainforest... :P

Currently I am thinking BI will add ANZUS Treaty units, maybe as a blufor faction, let me explain.

I think it's probable that the BLUFOR is represented by ANZUS as umbrella, but it would basically be a US faction like the NATO faction with reskins (USMC with MARPAT?), maybe even new light weapons and hopefully new turrets & more FFV positions for the vanilla vehicles.

But knowing BI I wouldn't expect many whole new vehicles. A VTOL & Buggies are the only ones really announced. Maybe they will even drop the medium helo from ToH. If we are really lucky maybe even an amphibious tracked APC / IFV.

Just have in mind the price of the past DLCs and the content they delivered. And we are talking about aprox €30, including a huge new map.

In fact I'm quite happy to have seen already a variant of the assault boat with a wheel and a new civilian plane (not so happy about the water scooter, but I guess it can be a nice decoration or for wild moments haha).

Tanoa is from what we know so far situated in the Papua New Guinea region (Or somewhere close in the pacific)

Well Tanoa is "geo-typical Fiji", actually by the looks and the shape of the islands seen on the video and the area of Tanoa, seems quite close to certain Fijian island (even the airport buildings are quite similar to the ones in Tanoa)... Tho the mine and trucks are more like Bougainville.

On the NZ-Ozzie participation, maybe it will be something like the British CTRG (aka NATO reskin with black weapons), but I wouldn't expect much more...

On the ASLAV, the Patria AMV (aka Marshall) basically has the same capabilities, but even better main gun and more modern.

A tuned F-35 could be nice, but BI has never focused much on air stuff.

With loots of luck maybe they will even deliver female models, so it can show the reality of Western Armies, were women have nowadays combat roles.

On the ASLAV, the Patria AMV (aka Marshall) basically has the same capabilities, but even better main gun and more modern.

Funny enough, the AMV35 (Patria AMV with a BAE CV9035 turret) is one of the contenders to replace Australia's ASLAV25 in the reconnaissance role under Project LAND 400

So yeah, I doubt a 50 year old wagon like the LAV would be equipping any BLUFOR side in 2035+

I just expect some Tanoa militia and some more fleshing out of the factions we currently have, rather than extensive TO&Es for completely new Real-World factions

maybe Tanoa is a ancient Altis colony

I think I just got cancer. =P

Ok, but on a more serious note, the Camo's better be damned good, reason being the Greenbacks could very easily fit into Tanoa... A bit too well. I even sketched up my own camp design, but I'll keep that to myself.

But let's take a loser look at BI's Roadmap, so I can point some things out.

Apex is also a focal point for longer-term platform and usability advancements. Improving how players share information in MP, and overhauling interaction mechanics is a fundamental goal. A Main Menu redesign, together with investment in the MP framework, aims to improve the discoverability / experience of official and custom content.

They mention an interaction overhaul. Now, as much as I would love for the Interaction to be on par and in depth with TKOH, it probably won't happen. However, since Arma 3 is a long term goal still, BI won't be working on much else besides DayZ and YLands, so Arma 3 still has a chance to recover some awesome changes. Now, when I think of interaction, I think about the ability has an infantryman, to be able to manipulate things in a neat, intuitive manner. Right now, it's alright but it's not amazing. But when BI mention overhaul, it entails a large change in a system. Take Audio Overhaul for example, something still heavily WIP, and still sounding amazing now, much better than it used to. So if we see an Overhaul in Interaction, I speculate it has to be an amazing balance between the scroll menu, and the TKOH Interaction method, which worked so well.

We got a brief period on dev branch about prioritizing weapon selection over the command menu before that got pulled, which hints at something...

EDIT: Also, in a YouTube comment YouBaconMeCrazy identified the low wing prop monoplane as being based on the Cirrus SR22. EDIT #2: imperator_pete's identified it as the Cessna TTx.

Between 2001 and May 2014 147 US-registered Cirrus SR22 aircraft crashed, resulting in 122 fatalities.

heheheheheheheh  :D

We got a brief period on dev branch about prioritizing weapon selection over the command menu before that got pulled, which hints at something...

EDIT: Also, in a YouTube comment YouBaconMeCrazy identified the low wing prop monoplane as being based on the Cirrus SR22.

Incorrect; it is the Cessna TTX

http://cessna.txtav.com/single-engine/cessna-ttx

Biggest giveaway is that the Cirrus has a rear window while the Cessna does not.  The aircraft in the preview does not feature this window.

Additionally, see imgur link to what I believe may be a small airstrip at the end of the Tanoa trailer (after the Tanoa airport bit).

http://imgur.com/hELCFWH

Incorrect; it is the Cessna TTX

http://cessna.txtav.com/single-engine/cessna-ttx

Biggest giveaway is that the Cirrus has a rear window while the Cessna does not.  The aircraft in the preview does not feature this window.

Correction noted (particularly after comparison between this photo and this screenshot) and my original post edited accordingly; I'm interested in how well the engine can simulate the performance characteristics, but also in fact that this choice may have a similar in-game mass (if Bohemia's modeler(s) base it off of the real-life maximum takeoff weight) to that of a vanilla Offroad, which should allow it to be underslung from any sling-loading helicopter except the Hummingbird. 

Additionally, see imgur link to what I believe may be a small airstrip at the end of the Tanoa trailer (after the Tanoa airport bit).

http://imgur.com/hELCFWH

Any particular relevance to that beyond the possibility of it being yet a third airstrip distinctly from that of "Tanoa Airport" and the built-up airport?

the chair is new IMO

No, it was added with the Helicopter DLC. 

I think it is in the editor under objects>office>office chair 

Well I'm going to speculate right now, that we should see gear from either Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Japan, China, Singapore, and Korea. Given this is taking place in the South Pacific it seems that assets from the nations I mentioned, would be ideal based on geography.