Maio

Arma 3 - APEX - NEWS and SPECULATIONS

400px-Arma_3_logo_black.png

APEX

--- A few words from your main speaker ---

Hello and welcome back to the wonderful world of confirmed features and unfounded speculations.

For those of you blessed with a solid long term memory, a certain forum member ran such a thread way back when Arma 3 was still violently kicking inside Bohemia's womb. Seeing as the Apex expansion is currently inbound, why don't we make our lives a bit more interesting by coming together to build a warm, welcoming home for all those A3-APEX bits of info.

How will this work?

The thread will be split into several categories (final classification pending). Users will post everything they can find about the APEX expansion in the thread,  at which point the first post will be updated. Once said piece of info will be deemed safe by the DEV's, it will receive a [name pending] tag. 

STAND BY FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS AND INTEL

(but feel free to post)

Updated: June 10'th -  (Content: )

APEX MEDIA

Tanoa Reveal Trailer

Developer diary

CONTENT

https://arma3.com/apex

• Like 15

Just a heads up for some folks, if you think everything is going to run just fine, remember, this is Arma 3, and it looks like Frostbite 4 on Ultra. It is very well likely you will want to seek out upgrading your hardware. I know for a fact I am going to be doing just that. Playing Tanoa on my GT650M may just render me ineffective in combat.

2888784-arma3_tanoa_screenshot_02.jpg

That is a very intimidating forest. BI have also mentioned that if you are planning on using the new Lighting, Screen Space Reflections and fog features, it's going to be demanding. This means performance is going to go down the drain the more you want it to look good. Be prepared. I don't want to see a million complaints about lag when Apex drops but we all know it's coming, and it's going to be cancer.

• Like 3

So how about them VTOLs and LSVs? You think we might be able to fit them inside like want to with the ULCV?

a better shore shader 

interesting feature........

PREDATOR game mode?

That screenshots has a battlefront endor feel... looks Purdy. ..

Just a heads up for some folks, if you think everything is going to run just fine, remember, this is Arma 3, and it looks like Frostbite 4 on Ultra. It is very well likely you will want to seek out upgrading your hardware. I know for a fact I am going to be doing just that. Playing Tanoa on my GT650M may just render me ineffective in combat.

That is a very intimidating forest. BI have also mentioned that if you are planning on using the new Lighting, Screen Space Reflections and fog features, it's going to be demanding. This means performance is going to go down the drain the more you want it to look good. Be prepared. I don't want to see a million complaints about lag when Apex drops but we all know it's coming, and it's going to be cancer.

Marek Spanel tweeted that the performance is pretty much the same

Apex will contain a coop campaign which was mentioned here https://data.bistudio.com/mailing/html/arma3-apex-preorder.html

Nothing new but it's a start :D

That Tweet was reffering to the new rendering features and not Tanoa.

Well, according to the sitrep 5 hours ago...

~What makes up the rest of this package? There is the overhauled lighting configuration itself, for all terrains, times of day and weather (contrast, saturation, etc.). Then there is multi-component fog simulation, a better shore shader and the optional Screen Space Reflections (these can be too demanding for some systems)

I guess it does say "some systems", but to be fair, i would assume these things to take up a decent amount of performance.

If it just puts more pressure on GPU then every piece of eye candy is welcome.

• Like 2

So, how do you guys want to classify the info that comes in? Is the current  categorization system OK with you? Should I resort to the old "Content" "Engine" "Gameplay" categorization or try something new? What is the meaning of life? There is no such thing as a bad idea, only broken dreams, so feel free to post.

• Like 3

Content

Engine

Gameplay

I like that.

• Like 1

better shore shader

again will have a some control on Undertow? in that case we will have a lakes ? lagoons?

So, how do you guys want to classify the info that comes in? Is the current  categorization system OK with you? Should I resort to the old "Content" "Engine" "Gameplay" categorization or try something new? What is the meaning of life? There is no such thing as a bad idea, only broken dreams, so feel free to post.

I'm all for "What's the meaning of life?".  :D

• Like 3

Sooo... where do "authenticity/realism" arguments fall under? :P For example, Maio, if you'd say that there shouldn't be a separate "this gear actually exists IRL" thread, though so far the concept art/renders don't bring to mind any specific real-life hardware.

I wonder, will the new lighting engine mean that lights (flashlights etc) no longer shine/illuminate through walls and cast proper shadows?? :)

• Like 1

I wonder, will the new lighting engine mean that lights (flashlights etc) no longer shine/illuminate through walls and cast proper shadows?? :)

I think they meant how the sun works, the atmosphere, weather etc.

thread, though so far the concept art/renders don't bring to mind any specific real-life hardware.

Except for the last LSV, which largely resembled the USF Flyer.

hope so with all that foliage and those mountains.

will movement be finessed because moving thorugh all that undergowth will be tricky with the current system that gets stuck on rocks, etc. also its not easy to currently make smaller moves to adjust your position.

maybe also a cover system that adjusts your crouch posture a bit better to the thing you're crouching behind.

I think I'm most interested in the assets and the factions. I'm getting a very strong future Vietnam vibe from the trailers and I'm hoping it's true. 

So how about them VTOLs and LSVs? You think we might be able to fit them inside like want to with the ULCV?

I think I'm most interested in the assets and the factions. I'm getting a very strong future Vietnam vibe from the trailers and I'm hoping it's true.

Cue me wondering what the heck NATO's doing in the Pacific, but otherwise... from SITREP #00109:

• The VTOL is for NATO, no mention of a corresponding CSAT design
  • The LSVs are both NATO and CSAT
  • The LSVs will have "mounted weapon variants and lots of Firing From Vehicles possibilities."
  • Features, vehicles, and weapons are not finalized... which IMO is probably why they may take until the same quarter as the DLC release for more comprehensive reveals: "once we're confident we can finish them properly."

Also, as a reminder Tanoa has over 100 km2 of land mass, which puts it in the ballpark of Nogova (95 km2) and Sahrani (98 km2) and depending on the exact number roughly 37-40% of Altis' land mass (270 km2). Finally, the boat with the wheel is the third vehicle to have publicly appeared in-game, after the prop plane and water scooter from 2015's reveal trailer.

• Like 2

Cue me wondering what the heck NATO's doing in the Pacific, but otherwise... from SITREP #00109:

• The LSVs will have "mounted weapon variants and lots of Firing From Vehicles possibilities."
  • Features, vehicles, and weapons are not finalized... which IMO is probably why they may take until the same quarter as the DLC release for more comprehensive reveals: "once we're confident we can finish them properly."

Also, as a reminder Tanoa has over 100 km2 of land mass, which puts it in the ballpark of Nogova (95 km2) and Sahrani (98 km2) and depending on the exact number roughly 37-40% of Altis' land mass (270 km2). Finally, the boat with the wheel is the third vehicle to have publicly appeared in-game, after the prop plane and water scooter from 2015's reveal trailer.

Which leaves very little if no information on what the native faction will be. I'm hoping they will have their own language to speak, I understand BI has distance themselves from adding nationalities to Arma now. But I felt kinda sad that the AAF didn't speak greek. Also hoping the native faction is at similar level of the AAF when it comes to amount of assets. 

I speculate that the design for the vtol is just Osprey meets star wars eps. 7 trooper thats how it looks for me. a newly designed osprey.

Also can we not like set up an tournament with the devs? like what they did with the marksman dlc but then a bit diffrent.

A community team vs. a dev team in like End Game and if the community team wins they will awnser one question or give information on one thing, if the devs win they don't give anything they will just have the pride of devs that are good in their own game ;)

• Like 2

I speculate that the design for the vtol is just Osprey meets star wars eps. 7 trooper thats how it looks for me. a newly designed osprey.

Also can we not like set up an tournament with the devs? like what they did with the marksman dlc but then a bit diffrent.

A community team vs. a dev team in like End Game and if the community team wins they will awnser one question or give information on one thing, if the devs win they don't give anything they will just have the pride of devs that are good in their own game ;)

That competition sounds super cool, i like. However, the concept VTOL for me looks like an optimized Osprey meets C-17. By optimized, i mean it has more angles to lower CRS (Cross Radar Section). It's probably one of their best designs to date in my opinion. (aside from the Kamysh and Kajman)

• Like 1

Sooo... where do "authenticity/realism" arguments fall under? :P For example, Maio, if you'd say that there shouldn't be a separate "this gear actually exists IRL" thread, though so far the concept art/renders don't bring to mind any specific real-life hardware.

No no, such threads will be allowed. How are the new users supposed to learn? From stories? Pshhhh...

Added, ENGINE IMPROVEMENTS, CONTENT AND GAMEPLAY FEATURES categories.

The GAMEPLAY FEATURES one is vague, but I have some plans regarding it once we get some more info.

and the CSAT VTOL

Enhance_zpsqrrtjwjf.png

• Like 2