tazmania720

Unwanted Clutter

To clarify, the area of my mask that this applies to is concrete2.  No other area of this color has this happening to it.  I just double checked the mask and it appears to be lined up properly.  The clutter that is popping up is actually attached to the sandpebble texture which is nowhere near this area.  Thanks.

have you zoomed into the mask to check if the colour selected for concrete is solid? no different coloured pixels?

Jimbop's right on the money...

Your cfgSurfaces looks fine - everything is where it should be, the concrete texture clearly has no surface character clutter assigned. You shouldn't be getting clutter on "Concrete2".. Even more suspicious is the fact that other areas of concrete are all ok - it's only this one area which is affected.

By far the most obvious cause of that is stray pixels of another colour in among the concrete in this specific area.

It should definitely be your first task to totally micro-check that mask area at high zoom - even a few pixels of an inappropriate colour are enough...

Another way of visual checking would be to switch off objects view and check out the area in buldozer.... you don't see clutter in BD anyway of course, but you should be able to see the occasional small patch of "Pebble" or whatever the clutter is assigned to in among the areas of Concrete2 if they exist...

Thats the first thing I'd check... Can't think of another reason offhand which could cause this effect,,,

B

Thanks for the feedback.  Hopefully this is all it is, but am sure I 99% sure they color is the same for the entire area.  I will report findings when I dig deeper.  Thanks again!

If you save the mask as a 16bit  BMP rather than a 24bit this will happen

Thanks for the feedback.  Hopefully this is all it is, but am sure I 99% sure they color is the same for the entire area.  I will report findings when I dig deeper.  Thanks again!

Did you manage to sort this out?

@bhcluster- No I have not.

@Auss- How do I see what bit my picture is?  I used GIMP to make the mask and tried looking at the file properties and played with GIMP and didn't see anything about bit size.  Thanks!

@bhcluster- No I have not.

@Auss- How do I see what bit my picture is?  I used GIMP to make the mask and tried looking at the file properties and played with GIMP and didn't see anything about bit size.  Thanks!

Have you packed your map with these objects in it or you have the map packed but you are viewing these objects in x-cam?

If you still have this issue you could try to simply add this line to the concrete class in the cfgsurfaces:

grassCover = 0.0;

Greetings

@bhcluster-The clutter is generated by the cfgSurfaces file.  I would probably lose my mind if I had to add all that stuff manually, LOL!

@ellaelectro-I will try that and report back how it works.  Fingers crossed!

@bhcluster-The clutter is generated by the cfgSurfaces file.  I would probably lose my mind if I had to add all that stuff manually, LOL!

@ellaelectro-I will try that and report back how it works.  Fingers crossed!

Hi Tazmania720,

I had the same issue and only recently discovered this post:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174811-road-painting-and-concrete-surface-tutorial/

it was exactly what was needed to address this issue.

@bhcluster-Tried the last tutorial you posted.  I wish I had found this before, but unfortunately I am still having the same issue.

@ellaelectro- tried your idea and didn't work

What is driving me nuts is the clutter only appears in small area and nowhere in the rest of this color.  The saga continues......

Can't you just place the grass cutter object all over it?

sometimes when you have too many colors in a cell u will get wierd things like this, check your layers png files and look for that tile, then check to see if theres any "brown" colors, Brown means u have too many colors max is 6 

Good evening folks.  Sorry for the delay.  I am working on this during a busy time in my life.  

@RoF-I could but that would be such a pain.  I really don't want to resort to that.

@Auss- I will check that again.  I have checked my mask several times to make sure I only have full RGB values in every pixel.  Checking again won't hurt.  

I have also found a "clutter cutter" object that doesn't seem to do much for my problem.  

Thanks!

It's unusual that cluttercutter isn't suppressing this maverick clutter.. :(  - that would've been a quick, if unsatisfying fix...

Still - I have one - slightly longshot - suggestion you could try, but first - a question...

In your mapframe properties panel "Sampler" tab - where you set the resolution for your Mask, Sat, etc - are  you importing one size of mask file, but then using a different final mask size in the actual sampler properties...

ie: something like - your imported satellite image is actually 20480x20480, but for one reason or another you have your Sampler settings for Mask & sat to be 10240x10240... that sort of thing...

In a situation like that, as TB creates the Layers tiles - it's basically "resizing/resampling" as it goes, and just like in Photoshop, occasionally a sort of colour clash effect can occur on the borders between certain colours...

It's very important to remember right here that TB doesn't really care what actual colours you use on your mask - as it creates each tile it looks the colour you used up in Layers.cfg - fetches the appropriate surface info for that colour - then it colours that pixel on the mask tile it's creating - BUT - IT DOESN'T USE YOUR COLOUR... If you look at the final Mask tiles TB creates in "Layers" folder, you'll see it uses RGBY and two other "shadings" for colours 5 and 6... It reassigns it's own colours using this palette combined with your mask info

Moreover - it starts afresh as it moves on to each new tile, so Red might be used by TB in one tile for "Green Grass" and in the adjacent tile, Green Grass is "Blue" and "rock" is Red or something.

Combine this with the potential for "colour dithering" at unspecified colour borders - which will vary from tile to tile, and somewhere in there - could - be an answer for you...

I would.....

Firstly - check to make sure you're not doing that "letting TB resize/resample" thing with your mask... It's always best to import the initial datafiles (heightmap, mask, sat, normals if used) in the actual res you intend to use them in - that avoids TB potentially doing a messy resample...

Secondly - Take a look at your "Layers.cfg" file - Down at the bottom is where you list all your surfaces (which you defined above) one after the other and associate them with YOUR mask colours..

TB uses this as a lookup table - literally - reading the Colors list from top down as it searches to identify each pixel it encounters on your mask...

Try changing the order in which the surfaces are listed... If you can identify the surface/s where the maverick clutter appears - move them to different positions relative to each other in that list, so they'll be "encountered" sooner or later... It might just shift the problem elsewhere, if all of this IS what's actually happening...

I've seen this sort of problem in VBS with the early VBS terrain tools, and since TB is basically a "long-ago branched from the VBS original" version of those tools, it's possible the same thing can occasionally happen in Arma... It's a pretty straightforward fix to try - check sampler tab settings - adjust the Colors table item order - recreate layers folder, re-export wrp - pack and take a look....

B

@bushlurker I will look at this more.  Sorry for the delay, job has me extremely busy now and I am not always near the internet.  I will try to post more when I can.

@ALL  First I hope you are still interested in helping me.  I just got home from a long "trip" overseas and am trying to get back into my terrain.

Here is the breakdown of how my files were loaded.

heightfield- from L3DT as 2048x2048 with a horizontal scale of 10

All .PNG's were sized to 2048x2048

TB settings are:

Grid Size: 2048x2048

Cell Size: 10

Terrain Size: 20480.000

Size 2048x2048

Resolution: 10

Size: 512x512

Desired overlap: 16

Size: 20.00x20.00

I also tried all that bushlurker suggested.  Tested that out and nothing changed.  I have also noticed that some of the concrete color is showing my beach texture and then suddenly changes over to the concrete texture.  The way I have it set up I should not have any clutter on the concrete or beach right now.  Any additional help with this would be great!  Thanks.

Have you tried changing character = "Empty"; in your concrete2_Surface and remove USN_concrete2_Character from cfgSurfaceCharacters? a possibility 

@usedragon  I had started with not haveing "empty" in the script, but I can try it again.  If I removed concrete from my surface wouldn't that just make a white area?  Worth a shot though.  Thanks.

OK, fixed the beach texture showing up where the concrete is supposed to be.  Found that issue in a rvmat in the layers file that is being generated by TB and Buldozer.  I think I have it figured out to a tile from the layers file, but I don't know how/why the clutter would only be strange in one area.  

@Auss, I just reread something you said about brown on the .png tile in the layers folder.  If I am looking at the correct file, the area that I am having problems with is indeed brown.  How would I fix this?  I see 5 total colors, including the brown.  

Thanks!

After all this time, that was the fix!!!!!  Thanks lappihuan and ALL that helped with this issue!