linuxmaster9

Arma 4 discussion

This thread is about what I could see Arma 4 being. I am open to theories etc.

Arma 4 would be running on either Unreal 4 or rewritten from the ground up engine wise and otherwise.

The engine would use either Vulkan alone or support switching between Vulkan and DX12. Vulkan would be the ideal choice as it is truly cross-platform.

The engine would be coded to support subterranean heightmaps and features as well as ponds and flowing water/rivers/waterfalls. 

The game would be written for Linux and Windows side by side as BI has essentially shot themselves in the foot by not keeping the Linux beta client up to date with the windows client as well as not having Battleye on Linux. This move has stunted any appeal the Linux community has for Arma 3 as they are by en-large, unable to play on the vast majority of Arma 3 servers.

The engine would use AMD GPUOpen (or whatever they call it) technologies instead of the Nvidia Gameworks crap as Nvidia's technologies they provide seriously cripples anyone's hardware that is not Nvidia.

The engine would use a different Physics engine other than PhysX. something like Bullet for example which is multi-platform.

The engine would make use of OpenCL for heavy number crunching tasks.

The netcode would be seriously reworked to improve network latency and efficiency.

Arma 4 would continue to have the modding tools and community.

If the engine was changed to Unreal 4, Vulkan and DX12 support would already exist. As would Linux and Mac support out of the box.

The UE4 modding tools are exceptional and vast.

Arma 4 would keep the day/night cycles and all the realism features but would add in many of the features found in the similar product known as VBS3 such as the flowing water, rivers, ponds, large models (eg; Royal Navy's Type 45 Destroyer which has full ship walkthrough and fully functional).

Arma 4 would replace the aging VON system with an actual radio based system like what ACRE2's omnibus system is where the game server comes with the comms server included and each client automatically launches the comms client. some of the VBS3 features that would be ideal are the procedural snow accumulation which could tie into a rainfall system that links to the water table. This would allow there to be tides etc.

Arma 4 should be the ultimate version of Arma.

There is couple of things why switching to completely new engine is tough:

You need to train developers on the complete new system

You throw years of interations of your engine away

Requires lot of times and money to make a switch to a new engine

Also when you mention building engine from scratch means at least 2 years

of development just of engine itself.At least.

That said, I don't think Unreal can display 100km100km big islands, simulate

advanced AI, and use other simulation features that arma has.

Also are you aware of the Engine called Enfusion?That is something that is being

developed and might be next arma engine.

There is couple of things why switching to completely new engine is tough:

You need to train developers on the complete new system

You throw years of interations of your engine away

Requires lot of times and money to make a switch to a new engine

Also when you mention building engine from scratch means at least 2 years

of development just of engine itself.At least.

That said, I don't think Unreal can display 100km100km big islands, simulate

advanced AI, and use other simulation features that arma has.

Also are you aware of the Engine called Enfusion?That is something that is being

developed and might be next arma engine.

as long as they integrate vulkan and/or AMD's GPUOpen instead of using DX12 and Gamewreks I mean works, of which DX12 and Gameworks severely limit the platforms it can be run on as well as degrade the performance of competing hardware (gameworks).

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186770-arma-4-upgrade/?p=2954536

"Guys, let me assure you - we're not even remotely thinking of something that could be described as Arma 4. Arma 3 is here to stay for quite some time, with continuous support. "

We can start making assumptions when we are actually close to it, cause the first post is just a compilation of your biased dreams and is very unrealistic.

• Like 2

"Guys, let me assure you - we're not even remotely thinking of something that could be described as Arma 4. Arma 3 is here to stay for quite some time, with continuous support. "

We can start making assumptions when we are actually close to it, cause the first post is just a compilation of your biased dreams and is very unrealistic.

Biased? how so? is it because im not drinking the Microsoft koolade? The fact remains that if you use DX12, you destroy any chances of porting to another OS. Also, if you make your engine API DX12, you force everyone onto windows 10 whether they like it or not.

The fact remains that if you use DX12, you destroy any chances of porting to another OS.

I have seen no indication that they consider that a problem considering how "second place" they've treated the Linux/Mac ports, complete with going out of their way to state that they outsourced the ports so that they wouldn't come at the expense of Apex development. And considering that they already forced everyone onto STeam and went away from Lite DLC "whether they like it or not"...

Ohwell, digging their own grave imo.

Yeah let's throw even more stuff into the game so it gets even shittier performance.

• Like 1

Ohwell, digging their own grave imo.

Yeah let's throw even more stuff into the game so it gets even shittier performance.

Isn't it like that in every game development where new features bring new performance

decreases and on the other hand optimizations balance the scale towards positive

sorta like ongoing battle.

Whatever they do, I would like to see more efficient AI scripting as alot of people's CPU seem to be overloaded at some points. If the GPU can be utilised more, that would be nice :)

• Like 1

I think it's nice to see the Devs supporting ArmA 3 and not thinking of ArmA 4...

However... I think in occasion it is not ideal to create significant improvements for a game that has already been available to consumers for over 2 years... In saying that, I'm extremely keen for the upcoming updates that will improve the engine. But I definitely believe BIS need to start to consider ArmA 4. They really need to start Engine development, story plans, ideas for what they want to do with a new game (not A3 updates). I believe, although the ArmA 3 Early Access was a success, a more ideal launch would be one commercial launch, not various stages (this could be achieved by planning the game earlier). You can see there are updates for Battlefield 4, however, Battlefield 5 is in development and coming out this year. Obviously BIS isn't the same size of DICE, but I sincerely hope that ArmA 4 is already in the crosshairs of all the BIS employees. Not only significant engine improvements including DX12 and the numerous enhancements that provides, but an improved User-Interface is something I am most excited for; as well as an environment and models/textures that live up to PC machines of the 2010's. 

• Like 2

Hello,

While it's perfectly safe to wish and write said wishes down in a post and post said post where such posts get posted, I would like to point out 2 things:

A. 

https://forums.bistu...rade/?p=2954536

B. The above + these are the Arma 3 forums.

Due to the above, I'm afraid this battlestation will be quite operational by the time your friends get here...

A.K.A

Closing thread,

Sorry :(

• Like 2