Ilias38rus

getVariable penformance

Can this be measured somehow at all?  It might be a lot more problematic than it seems at first: eg: http://www.flounder.com/exceptions.htm

but why do you care about such?  "Wether checking nearestObjects in a 200 meter radius onEachFrame worth it" - would be a valid question, but unless you write something bigger than ACE3, I doubt such things will have any effect on your performance.

Can this be measured somehow at all?  It might be a lot more problematic than it seems at first: eg: http://www.flounder.com/exceptions.htm

but why do you care about such?  "Wether checking nearestObjects in a 200 meter radius onEachFrame worth it" - would be a valid question, but unless you write something bigger than ACE3, I doubt such things will have any effect on your performance.

Some precise question like:

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     if (_x in at) then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach nearestObjects [_x, ["men"], 70];
     } foreach atu;
};

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     _lv = at find _x;
     if (_lv != -1) then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach atu;
};

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     if (_x getvariable "pvt") then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach atu;
};

What's better?

Your post doesn't make sense (who would have thought...)

What kind of code is this?

inarray, getvalue are script commands that currently do not exist in the game.

Also, zapat already said more than needs to be said on this topic.

Unless you call getvariable for hundreds (if not thousands) of units on each frame I doubt you'll notice any difference.

Cheers

Unless you call getvariable for hundreds (if not thousands) of units on each frame I doubt you'll notice any difference.

Cheers

Few mistakes in command's names, for how much units you think the code will be executed for?

that you stupid posts without any purpose junking topics showing you like an idiots

hi,

Few mistakes in command's names, for how much units you think the code will be executed for?

that you stupid posts without any purpose junking topics showing you like an idiots

Did you try to be more respectful towards people who are trying to help you by any chance?

cya.

Nikiller.

hi,

Did you try to be more respectful towards people who are trying to help you by any chance?

cya.

Nikiller.

I am to they who are

is it?

|

\/

What, without making another useless thread first?

Cheers

`````They think they know situation and do not trying to help with question (if i'm asking the question, it have cense).

`````They think they know situation and do not trying to help with question (if i'm asking the question, it have cense).

You seem to take things literally. Despite the obvious language barrier, I'm not the one throwing around insults.

You can either keep your attitude and see where this will get you,

or try to rephrase your problem so that someone else except you can make some sense out of it.

I mean this in the least offensive way possible.

Cheers

~500 units, what's better `````(lowest resources taking, not the script's execution speed):
0. adding them to array, add checking alive or isnull to all of them to remove from the array and for ~100 of them checking to all units in ~70m. presents in the array?

1. add variable to all of them, changing the variables, and for ~100 of them checking the variable at all units in ~70m.?

Well, if you have 500 units, using getvariable or not will be your smallest performance concern.

But use your brain: which command do you think needs less operations? Getting a variable (most basic thing in any environment) or looping through an array to get an element? 

Anyhow it seems that you'll need to performance meter more parts of your ideas, so do not start with what you should ask last.

Read whiztler's links, there is a performance script in there.

**saying KK or GOM not knowing the situation is a bit khmm. I know the situation too from the title alone, I am just a dead patient man.

Well, if you have 500 units, using getvariable or not will be your smallest performance concern.

But use your brain: which command do you think needs less operations? Getting a variable (most basic thing in any environment) or looping through an array to get an element? 

Anyhow it seems that you'll need to performance meter more parts of your ideas, so do not start with what you should ask last.

Read whiztler's links, there is a performance script in there.

Thnk you for answer "Getting a variable (most basic thing in any environment)" the |'thinking link'| all what was needeble to write here.

Man, then start with Coding for Dummies or something. 

You are coding. You ask coders about the highest levels of coding (usually the top level coders care about these questions). And you get upset when they don't care about you without you trying to understand the most basic things?  Well, I may be not as patient as I think. :)

And one more question, why the script's execution speed counter on |"debug" interface| crashing game after checking:

vt = 1;
if (vt == 0) then {
	hint "t";
} else {
	if (vt == 1) then {
		hint "t1";
	};
};

Man, then start with Coding for Dummies or something. 

You are coding. You ask coders about the highest levels of coding (usually the top level coders care about these questions). And you get upset when they don't care about you without you trying to understand the most basic things?  Well, I may be not as patient as I think. :)

I'm do not trying to understand any of it, i'm thinking about thousands of other things, special about the situation: i meeted systems, even in the programming world, when in environment with multitudinous unsystematized entities they hadn't personal |information storages|, i didn't need to understand how it is here, just to think about it.

Might crash because of the 10000 hints.

Or not. Doesn't crash for me.

))) at mine crashing every time i'm checking )

Stop throwing punches. If you fell like being snarky, at least do it via PM and not on the public boards.

Good? Good!

Have a beautiful day!

nearestObjects does not provide good performance. Especially using it in a while {true} loop. Your best bet is to create and maintain an array of all the objects and iterate through that, adding and removing objects as they are created or killed/destroyed. nearestObjects [player, [], 50] gave me frame stuttering even in VR with 4 objects on the map, so I would avoid it at all costs if you're worried about performance

. nearestObjects [player, [], 50] gave me frame stuttering even in VR with 4 objects on the map, so I would avoid it at all costs if you're worried about performance

If you use it without no filters then yes, it might cause some performance problems, but even on a low power laptop running on battery, I don't get ANY drop in FPS in the specific example you give.

The problem with nearest* commands is that they sort their results so as the radius goes up, the workload goes up exponentially. The tricks with nearestobjects are to do it at a non critical time, do it on the server only, use filters and keep the distance as short as you can. Or, as you say, write it to an array and work with that, but that's not very dynamic. nearObjects and nearestObject are good alternatives, given the right situation. Choose carefully.

I use a small 5m nearEntities check to assist the 'reveal' command, which helps the action menu/cursortarget.

There should be ways to structure your script/scenario design to avoid having to use the nearestX commands during playing runtime.

Also, worrying about the performance impact of 'getVariable' is a waste of time. 

If you use it without no filters then yes, it might cause some performance problems, but even on a low power laptop running on battery, I don't get ANY drop in FPS in the specific example you give.

The problem with nearest* commands is that they sort their results so as the radius goes up, the workload goes up exponentially. The tricks with nearestobjects are to do it at a non critical time, do it on the server only, use filters and keep the distance as short as you can. Or, as you say, write it to an array and work with that, but that's not very dynamic. nearObjects and nearestObject are good alternatives, given the right situation. Choose carefully.

I would even avoid using it on the server, as server simulated fps ties into ai control and movement and can also have an effect on client fps. Just avoid using the command at all. There are better ways to do things. The array is absolutely the best way to do it and it is completely dynamic, not sure where you got that from. In your scripts you already have control over when units spawn, literally all you need is

_obj = createUnit/createVehicle [INFO];
myUnitArray pushBack _obj;
_obj addEventHandler ["killed", {myUnitArray = myUnitArray - [(_this select 0)]}];

Some precise question like:

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     if (_x in at) then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach atu;
};

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     _lv = at find _x;
     if (_lv != -1) then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach atu;
};

while {true} do {
     {
     {
     if (_x getvariable "pvt") then {
          hint "t";
     };
     } foreach atu;
};

What's better?

Do you really write your code like that or do you obfuscate it before posting it in the forums?

Do you really write your code like that or do you obfuscate it before posting it in the forums?

I think he actually writes his variable names like that