Do you still have the old arma2 littlebird engine sounds? I think the pawnee, humm and Co. should sound "smaller" if you know what I mean ..Like the one in arma2..that sounded perfect. I tried Dynasound once, in there the Hummingbird fits pretty good..Btw. I can test a lot in our daily 4h pvp matches.. So if you need a beta testa, hit me :)

Thank you for this new video!

Again, just a bit of personal opinion, feedback and interrogations, fully opened to contrary opinions of course, and in no case a complaint of any sort regarding your great work. We also don't forget that YouTube has a detrimental effect on the quality. You know that some of us are particularly awaiting the aerial part i guess ;)

- First, the samples by themselves and the "tone" of the engines are really good. great work. 

- Then, listened the video with a good volume through headphones, and the maximum distance at which the choppers engines or movements can be heard seem quite nice gameplay-wise, approximately between 1250-1500 meters from the player, as you showed with the binoculars. Again, maybe this is a bit more on your end, as YouTube or our personal equipment perhaps don't allow to render the full distances yet. Though, from the strict gameplay point of view, we could wonder if those distances could be a bit longer if possible, and if the sound engine allows it of course (about 2000 meters could be interesting), mainly because the choppers are obviously a very serious threat.

Sure, we could consider that an attack chopper has really long attack ranges and that not hearing its engines could be natural if they engage at max effective range, but the player has definitely a tactical interest in hearing the choppers movements or engines at a quite long distance. I personally always considered that Vanilla sounds have never been able to render this part, about all aircrafts, the right way. And if we want to make some friendly comparisons (you're not really competitors but fellow community modders i guess, so why not making some comparisons), the last and great Dynasound version has also the same problem i think. Choppers engines can be heard at 1000 meters approximately, not really beyond this point, at least when we keep reasonable/normal volume levels with our audio equipment. this being a hardcoded maximum distance value for the sounds to be triggered, a balance or volume matter, i don't know, but from this point of view, your next JSRS version seem to have an advantage.

I also don't forget that the choppers weapons, maybe particularly their cannons, are often audible from farther than their engines. It was the case with your current version if i remember well, Laxemann did it, and you'll probably continue to do so i guess. Moreover those effects will probably be enhanced with your new echoes, propagation, explosion and debris effects. Can't wait to hear their guns unleashing hell!

- Also, i tend to join Devastator_cm opinion about the volume levels, their curve and peaks when the chopper is passing at very short distance : Distance sounds and volume levels sound really nice and seem to have a good linear curve as the chopper approaches or goes away from a good distance, but maybe that a radius of about 150 meters around the player, and specially when the chopper is right above our head, could use a higher volume raising/decreasing curve and peak. Just to render the strong fly-by effect of such machines. Here again, if possible of course.

- The last point, (and i bet that you were awaiting to hear about it :)), is the "engine woosh" effect as the chopper (maybe the aircrafts as well) is passing just above our head. After several looks at the video, i just modified this particular comment and it seems that you have improved those effects. They're now closer to the ones from Dynasound, Speed of Sound or even the old A2 Realsound, but they seem a bit shy compared to Dynasound ones for example. You guys share some knowledge and tips about the making of those effects? That's difficult for someone who don't know how the sound engine works to identify what are the sound elements involved in this effect and comment about them... First thing, what is this effect? The engine "whistle", the rotor blades or air friction sounds, a mix of them or a specific sample triggered separately? but if i had to make an observation, maybe that this "engine woosh" effect volume could be a bit more aggressive. Besides, it could probably do wonders in conjunction with the said "150 meters" agressive volume curves and peak to give some more punch to the fly-by effect.

Anyway, this is only my little opinion and your work is great, the whole rest is already top notch stuff. Thank you very much for your work and the expenses you make to enhance your sound bank and our audio experience. I'll certainly consider to help you with a little something in return too :) 

I have to admit, my brother lives close to a Hospital. We had coffee once and a BO105 came flying in. I was surprised how quiet it was..You could never ever hear it from like 1km away or so if I'm not mistaking..

Yeah, i give you that, it certainly depends on many factors like the type of terrain, open environment or urban area, with elements that can obstruct or occlude the sounds, the type of chopper, the speed and the type of maneuvers it has to make, a linear speeding flight or not, the throttle level...

From what i saw in an open environment during some demonstrations or certain stressing maneuvers with European apparels at low to mid altitude (Gazelle, Puma and Tiger mainly), i can't really say that the engines are fully audible from 2K meters, you're right, but at least you know there is a presence and an aerial apparel making maneuvers way beyond one kilometer. It's hard to describe in English, but it has a distant echo over a zone and it is particularly hearable at a distance when the chopper is searching full speed or when the rotor blades are really "working" to ensure the lifting of the apparel, when quickly gaining altitude, when this one is taking some important angle to gain speed or in order to make tight turns for example.

By the way, those "rotor blades" samples are really well done in the video, particularly at mid distance. 

Well I know what you mean and I have to keep things on a gameplay side of factors. As you said, a attack helicopter shouldn't be audible for like 4km. As I had it back in ArmA2 some times.

But I can asure you, it's as you said: You are going to hear it audible and clear at around 1200 - 1500 meters. In that area you can say for sure it's a helicopter and maybe even what type. Further away you will only know there is some kind of helicopter or plane fading in the distance. I believe the current setting it around 2500 meters. And then It really depends on weather and wind of you can hear it or not. Sometimes the wind is louder and won't make you able to determine it.

-LJ

• Like 2

as I said..If you want some beta testing, I play pvp everyday for about 3-4h ..I'd love to give some feedback ;)

Is there some new sound feature like View Block in the DevBranch?

I experience that sounds are now getting heavily blocked in volume by objects and terrain in their line of sight. If I can`t see a shooter because he's behind a building I as well almost can`t hear him...

Anything familiar?

LJ

1 hour ago, LordJarhead said:

Is there some new sound feature like View Block in the DevBranch?

I experience that sounds are now getting heavily blocked in volume by objects and terrain in their line of sight. If I can`t see a shooter because he's behind a building I as well almost can`t hear him...

Anything familiar?

LJ

Yup, it's a first test of occlusion. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ss9 said:

Was playing with -nologs turned back off to see if I could get to the bottom of the general sound bug (of course not) and I found some errors.  Maybe you know about this already:

12:17:10 Sound: Error: File: jsrsapex_p_vehiclesounds\engines\exhaust\apcs\ext_exhaust_4.wss not found !!!  <- lots of those

12:23:30 Sound: Error: File: jsrsapex_p_update2\soundfly1.ogg not found !!!

12:23:31 Sound: Error: File: jsrsapex_p_update2\arty_flyby (5).ogg not found !!!

12:23:36 Sound: Error: File: jsrsapex_p_update2\arty_flyby (3).ogg not found !!!
12:23:41 Sound: Error: File: jsrsapex_p_update2\arty_flyby (3).ogg not found !!!

One of Arma's own sounds too, lol.  Anyway, maybe you already know about this.  If not, well,  ^^^

Yeah they'll be fixed ;)

8 hours ago, laxemann said:

Yup, it's a first test of occlusion. :)

Oh yes I just found out. Weirdly strong and makes things kinda too low but still powerfull and really neat :)

LJ

On 14/1/2017 at 6:07 PM, Megiddo said:

... but if i had to make an observation, maybe that this "engine woosh" effect volume could be a bit more aggressive. Besides, it could probably do wonders in conjunction with the said "150 meters" agressive volume curves and peak to give some more punch to the fly-by effect. ...

I completely agree with Megiddo on this. The helicopter sound can be more aggressive when flying overhead. These beasts make a ton of noise and at the moment I feel like they lack the "oomph" they need when flying overhead.

You can delete the jpex movement_c pbo, its a rather small config pbo around a couple of Kb`s.

I (JSRS) dont support third party mods tho ;)

LJ

No, all of them in one config. Also Gear noises, everything considering the movement of a player. Sry.

LJ

Locking thread. Discussion continues on new thread linked above.