Hello Jarhead,

I have one question, is it normal that I cant hear the gun sounds of the  Kajman and Blackfoot and AH9-Pawnee and jets guns are broken as well pls check that... 

greetings MrFies

Hello Jarhead,

I have one question, is it normal that I cant hear the gun sounds of the  Kajman and Blackfoot and AH9-Pawnee and jets guns are broken as well pls check that... 

greetings MrFies

Are you using the new Eden version?

I have the issue with kajman too, didnt tested other hardware (vehicles) yet

Hello,

I'd like to thank you for your feedback, no matter if negative or positive. You can't always please everyone and I learned that over the years. Even if JSRS was by those who loved it always a positive thing with each release, there is the point at which everyone has to say "Nah, thats not what I had in mind".

During the last few years from the first release of JSRS3 to today there have been alot of changes. And many are just because I liked to make something different with each release. I dropped the old and loved sounds, implemented new ones and hopped everyone would like the new stuff more. And mostly people did and saw them as some kind of progress and development.

I did the same with EDEN. I dont wanted to follow up the way every game or how the new EDEN version sounds like. I kept my own personal idea of how things should sound like and followed it. I transferred my idea of a good sounding battle warfare or military game and tried to maintain it until I felt its ready for the public. I never asked for opinions, never looked up what people like, never made any advertising about the new version up front to know what might be disliked upfront so I can release an even better version in the end.

I always take the critics in account and always try to form my "idea" of the sound to match my own AND others opinions and suggestions. That what I will do again and will try to transfer further. The thing is, I got used to a certain luxury of people enjoying and promoting how amazing my mod is/was. I got used to people saying "Thats the best ever" "I love it" "You are amazing" bla bla. I got used to it, I got it. And its the first time since a few years that I really have to deal with a (in my eyes) bigger ammount of negative feedback than I used to. I felt offended. I felt like I'm not good enough anymore and my nightmare, that everyone finds out how NOT of a professional I am would come true :P

I dealt with it, I took things and opinions to account and thought about a lot of things. I thought about my original idea that I followed with the development, and compared it to what people said about the release. And you know what? Maybe a lot of this is bullshit. I mean you are comparing my work to Vanilla ArmA sound, which is a complete new level now. Maybe you got used to the new way how ArmA sounds. Or maybe I drifted far away from what I released earlier.

But in many levels, this new version is not only a new version, its also a new engine its running on, a new framework, a new way to get the sound into the game. You have to forget everything about the releases before this one. Not only ArmA itself sounds totally different, OF COURSE JSRS does to. It uses the same new systems, Processors, Sets and Shader classes... I mainly focused on this build to function. Less I focused on how this Mod sounds like to YOU in the end. I liked what I did, I liked how it sounds and I liked to play with it. For a very long time I really "played" ArmA again instead of just making sounds, start, test and exit the game again. Well, I got pissed in the "Bingo fuel" mission so bad that I lost all interest in playing any further but well...

What I'm trying to say is: I dont get all the negative feedback. I dont know what I did wrong, but mainly I should think that I didn't do anything wrong. I just did what I always do: I made a soundmod I enjoy playing with. Period. The release and to publish it is just the cherry ontop of the cake, for you.

Sure, everyone is free to share his opinion, share his suggestions and ideas. But its not really fair to say things like "This is a bad release" "Its not your best work"... seriously? How would you know if its my best or worst release? :P After all its just a version of JSRS that you dont like as good as any other before. I did my work the same level as I did before. And btw, its not only making sound files here. We talk about all the new Sets and Classes and Shaders that have to be written and put in order and sorted and all the values for different types of weapons, ammunition and explosions, all the processors and filters that have to be written, tested, tweaked and ordered.

Let me explain to you why it is 10 times harder to release a Mod like JSRS with the level of detail. Before the EDEN update we have an explosion class like the Grenade explosion. It could handle multisoundhit command which allowed it to give the game an unlimited number of explosions. The only things I could define were the Volume, the pitch and the distance the sound was be heard. So I used mainly 8 sounds for grenade explosions. These sound must have fit an explosion that is close, an explosion that is far away or in a forest or House or what ever. You just had this one set of sounds that had to fit every single circumstance. NOW, with EDEN, I have a different way to give the game the sounds for a grenade explosion:

We have 8 sounds for close explosions, 8 for mid range, 8 for distance, 8 for very far range.We have 4 sounds for tails for meadows, 4 for forests, 4 for houses. We have 4 sounds for debris noises, based on the size of the explosion (Light, Med or Big) and we have another shader for very close explosions that the shrapnel and blast effect. That makes around 50 to 60 sounds per explosion type! And I have 13 of them!!! And thats just about the explosions...

Weapons are an even different level. We have Close, Closure, Mid, Far, Dist, Scape, Tail forest, meadow, Houses, inroom, shells... you get it.

I would have been INSANE and ILL advised to make all these effects with the same level of time and quality as Bohemia throughout their development on the devBranch... still I tried my best to come up with something.

STILL, there was complaints about how fucking long it took me to upload it... still there were complaints about two days that passed without a release...

You see what I'm trying to say? Maybe I have spoiled you too much over the years. You got used to a certain level of luxury and an open minded author you could throw your shit at.

I'm over reacting clearly. I dont mean it any bad or so, but you guys sometimes need to control your wishes and decrease your expectations a little. We are talking about a Mod that did the same level of work as a whole department at BIS in a really short time... and I'm just one guy. Why would you expect things to be any good then?

I will take it in account that the mod is too quiet at some spots. Will make things louder, will add more bass and increase helicopter ranges. Will also add the missing weapon sounds. (Some weapons are not supported by the new system BI implemented. But all of my sounds and configs are switched to the new framework which ends up being silent weapons. I'm sry but I might have missed them!).

I will maybe even compare my work to other games, like Battlefield or ArmA Eden, just to get a level of volume for some things. And this stupid rumor that I develop my mod with headphones is bullshit! I said I do mod sometimes when its nighttime and my neighbors wants to sleep or when I'm traveling, but mainly my work has to go through my speakers anyhow.

Make observations and suggestions, post problems and tell me what you think needs to be changed, but stop this bullshit with "Its not the best work" "not the best release" "its not better than XYZ".

Now back on topic please.

The play.withsix is also some point. I stated that EVERY EARLIER RELEASED WORK OF JSRS needs to be deleted and shoulnd't be distributed anymore! Please take this in account and delete JSRS 2.5 and the RHS support. Even if its working for now. I will update everything to the new Framework, eventually. WHEN I HAVE THE TIME.

Now, thanks again for your time and effort you surely invested into your comments. But please, as said, keep in mind what must have happened to be able, two days after the release of an new Sound engine, to release a mod as big as JSRS....

Thanks,

LJ

PS: Please no further discussion about this stuff. Lets focus on JSRS...

• Like 17

LJ-you really don't need to explain yourself to us. At least you Shouldn't need to..Again-anyone "not satisfied" as if they are some are some kind of  JSRS customer, please release your own sound conversion featuring 60 sounds per explosion type and 8 for every grenade thrown and let us judge it.Otherwise...be quite. 

Thank you again LJ for allowing us to use the sounds you make and for even feeling that you  need to explain anything to anyone about how your hobby develops  :)

• Like 1

BI Should Hire you!!!!  ;) Well I thought the release was great so I cant complain. 

I hate seeing these kinds of posts because I know how angry you have to get to reach this point. The worse part about modding is those who feel entitled and don't appreciate the work that has gone into each version. After hours and hours of work, day after day, you finally release and yet people still complain about it taking too long or the quality not being absolutely perfect. At that point, it starts to feel like a job, which can very, very easily lead to a loss of interest in the game completely. You've done your part, there's not much you can really do about those who just don't realize what it really takes in terms of effort and time to create something on the scale of JSRS.

I just hope that through all of this you can still appreciate and enjoy doing what you do. You've been around Arma for a long time so I'm sure you can handle it, but it just sucks to see such non-constructive negative feedback after release posts. If you've got constructive feedback, go ahead and share it. But like LJH said, if all you're going to say is "Not your best work", nobody really wants to hear it.

Thanks for everything over the years LJH.

On topic: I really love your detailed nature and environmental sounds that you've payed special attention to recently, it's a critical aspect to enjoying the game.

• Like 4

Hello Jarhead,

I have one question, is it normal that I cant hear the gun sounds of the  Kajman and Blackfoot

Can confirm this/ I also have this problems.

I'm amazed that you sound modders even release and tweak the sounds during these huge audio engine changes. Just so they likely get somehow broken in the next patch and a new tech is introduced. I guess there are couple waiting in the shadows for BIS to make things more ready before they join in with their work.

I'm mostly waiting those environment sounds again because that's the next big thing that the vanilla audio is missing. I'm currently pretty happy how the vanilla guns sounds so anything better is just extra for me. I haven't had time to test the new version yet.

Thanks spyderblack! That hit the spot :)

Can confirm this/ I also have this problems.

You guys dont read do you? :P I said:

Some weapons are not supported by the new system BI implemented. But all of my sounds and configs are switched to the new framework which ends up being silent weapons.

Thanks,

LJ

@Lord Jarhead: Hey, I have some issues. The weapons sound too low and I'm missing certain sounds for certain........Ok Ok, I'm just kidding brother, lol. Look man, thousands will download this and never say thank you; they are too happy playing your mod to think about it. Those that are unhappy, generally, seem to approach it respectfully. The others....well.....keep in mind the possible age brackets of those playing PC games. If you feel slighted by their inappropriate attitudes when commenting on your mod, imagine how badly they handle their dating and relationships haha. "So, how do you like my new dress I made?" ---- reply: "Honestly, it isn't your best work" = friendzoned. Many of us have used your mods for years, and I couldn't be more happy with your timeframes. As you have already mentioned that weapon volumes, etc, are on the schedule, I have nothing to add except that your mod still enhances vanilla far beyond vanilla by itself. Thanks again for the hard work.

• Like 1

Thank you to have took the time to explain us what happens behind the scene.

Thanks for the years of hard work, which has paid :

Now Arma sounds like Dragonfyre :)

P.S : I will continue to download your releases, as long as you will continue to honor us with these.

LordJarhead, I was a massive fan of the Eden release already but the more I listen to this, the more I enjoy it. One of the things that really stands out is the way distance firefights crackle in certain environments, which sounds amazing. The added immersion just from this feature alone is huge. Also, forget what I was saying with the sonic cracks being non-directional, it's just me being an idiot and not realising that it's only close up ones that play stereo, which is pretty realistic as from what I recall, it's pretty challenging to tell which direction a nearby sonic crack is coming from. With the environmental tails you've added along with all the other effects, this sound mod makes me grin from ear to ear when I'm playing it. I can't go back to vanilla Eden sounds now.

Keep up the incredible work LJ. And yes, you've definitely spoiled us! If it wasn't for guys like you though, I would not be able to play Arma. 

• Like 1

Some weapons are not supported by the new system BI implemented. But all of my sounds and configs are switched to the new framework which ends up being silent weapons.

Thanks,

LJ

LJ, How I understand not all of the sounds set to silent.

For example Two Heavy Machine Guns (Marksmen weapons)in the Eden release are no has supressor sounds, when firing with sound supressor,

but the player continues hear the standard sound as at shooting without silencer.

PS: Overall I want to say, great release! The battle  sounds at greater distances fantastically attractive!
I still would like to hear a decent sound of falling/destruction buildings, because vanilla sounds of destruction, almost inaudible.
Also! we got the sound of hits in the vehicle, when the player is in and play from the first person, but still there are no sounds if the vehicle detonates a mine. I hope this will be implemented also.

Big thanks for this great work!

Your new bullet snaps are pure magic. Soundlocation and energy are perfect. I duck down automatically so trackir goes out of range every time :thumb:

I played a game of the Pilgrimage mod and decided to use headphones for a change. All I can say is holy shit....I fired a Zafir and dam near jumped out of my chair. It sounded awesome. I can also hear vehicles much better from a distance which helps for early warning.

Great job ! Haven't fully tested too many sounds but so far I'm impressed. I think the reloading of the 5.56 sound is missing but it might have been on my end but certainly not a game breaker.

Thanks for your hard work LJ.  :)

@corona you really got me for a second mate hehe

@all so I take your things to account. We should make a list and collect all issues and you tell me if I'm missing something. Ok let's see:

- Weapons and explosion volumes for distances

- Louder soundscape overall

- Louder helicopters and jets

- Fix missing reloading sound (what 5.56mm weapon exactly?)

- Fix missing weapon sounds for handheld and vehicle weapons

- Fix missing SD sounds for heavy mg's

- Fix missing building collapse sounds

Anything else you would like to add that I totally going to ignore? (joke)

LJ

@all so I take your things to account. We should make a list and collect all issues and you tell me if I'm missing something. Ok let's see:

LJ

Also the sound volume inside and in 3rd person view with all ground vehicles, quite quieter than with v2.5 (imho)

LJ

- Noticed the missing reloading sound for the Mk20C, with the short barrel (normal and camo versions). The long barrel version works well.

- Also wanted to underline the AH 9 gatling gun : the sample works well if you fire a very short burst, let's say for 1 second or less. A maintained, longer burst makes the sample inaudible until we stop firing. at this moment, you hear the end of the sample and the electrical barrels stopping (great sample btw). Though you said the M134 Gatling gun was on your WIP list if i remember well.

- Thanks for the jets :D

Just a last word, i saw your long response and you're right. maybe some of us missed to see the entire picture, in particular your point of view. So, forgive some inappropriate words, and be assured that your work, your efforts and the gift you make to the ARMA 3 community are greatly appreciated :)  

LJ

Dear LJ, I didn't know you were planning this detail or not, but it would be great if it was in DragonFyre!

Not exist mine detonation sound, when player located in the vehicle (first person view) and if this vehicle run on the mine.
Any vehicle (car, mrap, tank, apc, truck)
Thanks... :D

LJ

Hey Lj, maybe that can help you:

-Flyby Sounds for rockets

-shrieking mortar incoming Sound XD

-I cant hear any waves at the beach

-missing Grenade indoor sound

-Suspension in offroad sounds like broken ;-) (maybe too loud)

For me, its your best release for arma3... And that only some Hours After Eden Release. Big Respect!

Hey Lj, maybe that can help you:

-Flyby Sounds for rockets

-shrieking mortar incoming Sound XD

-I cant hear any waves at the beach

-missing Grenade indoor sound

-Suspension in offroad sounds like broken ;-) (maybe too loud)

For me, its your best release for arma3... And that only some Hours After Eden Release. Big Respect!

Sadly the in room explosions are not possible as the interior controller has not been added to the cfgAmmo superclass yet. Maybe they will add it. It would make a lot of sense and it would be a piece of cake using this controller as it's the same function as for weapons.

So I'll add:

- Add Flyby Sounds for rockets

- Add falling mortar incoming sound

- Fix missing beach and wave sounds

- Tweak suspension sounds for vehicle Offroad

- Add another soundShader called "first" for weapons

- Tweak "pop'iness" of weapon and distance sounds

LJ

• Like 1