Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Random Mission Timers

I'm building a custom version of Wasteland and trying to create a much more random experience. To that end I'd like to build in random timers for the missions so they arey arent like clockwork.

For example: 

From the default_config.sqf file for the A3Wasteland mission there is the following setting:

Line 135: A3W_mainMissionDelay = 10*60;      // Time in seconds between Main Missions

The other reference to this setting is in the mainMissionController.sqf :

Line 10: #define MISSION_CTRL_DELAY (["A3W_mainMissionDelay", 15*60] call getPublicVar)

I have been trying to write code that would randomize the mission delay between 10*60 (10 minutes) and 20*60 (20 minutes) with no success. With bypassing the variable and adding it to the MissionController or as a variable within the config file. I think it would be best if were coded into the config file but either way is acceptable.

Can someone give me a little coding assistance because as coding noob I'm fumbling around trying to make this work without a proper understanding of the format needed to make it work.

i just tested this in the editor and it seems to work

10+random 10*60

should work in either space....

i just tested this in the editor and it seems to work

10+random 10*60

should work in either space....

Thanks. Testing now

It works but the only downside is the missions are announced with fractions of a second now..so instead of 10 minutes it will say 10.3659 seconds. lol

It works but the only downside is the missions are announced with fractions of a second now..so instead of 10 minutes it will say 10.3659 seconds. lol

oops lol

yeah if its just straight time you can do

600 +random 600; 

10*60 + random 10*60 works too

but there is likely a reason beyond me they are using multiplication

math is not my strong suit.... sadly

myNewTime = random 24;

publicVariable "myNewTime";

waitUntil{not isNil "myNewTime"};

skipTime myNewTime;