Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

Sword fighting?

Is it possible to have sword fighting in ArmA3?  I know it's almost impossible to have realistic sword fighting, but what exactly is capable in ArmA3 and how can it be expanded on?  For example, can we at very least have a somewhat believable sword slash with a decent animation and different body part injuries like a cut to the leg or arm?

If I make a decent sword model would someone want to try to make it work?

Making the sword would be the easiest part in this case. You would have to create animations and scripts to execute the animations - which despite efforts can look very janky due to skipping/sliding.

No, better save your time and either choose another game or another mod idea.

Basic stab/slash animation, along the lines of DayZ "melee" system is possible - but that's not what i would call sword fighting...

Making the sword is definately the easiest part. I can imagine swordfighting could work a lot smoother compared to DayZ if you dont mind it looking and feeling like Legend of Zelda:

1. Probably controller based, though SHIFT+LMB could possibly work

2. Have a button to "lock on" to the nearest target. (I'd probably go for the SHIFT key, or perhaps the ALT key, since it also enables freelook)

3. Have the options to strike (LMB), optionally you can seporate  left, right and stabbing (Q+LMB, E+LMB)

4. Likewise with the defence (RMB): either a one-button for all, or seporate Left, right or frontal defence.

So for you to hit at all you'll need to lock on to someone, and attack. If he is A) within reach and B) not defending (properly), you will hit and he will play a animation like... uh i dunno, like it hurts like hell.

Then again, if a melee system was this easy, someone would've scripted this already, I think. I hope someone with experience on the subject reports here.

Is it possible to have sword fighting in ArmA3?  I know it's almost impossible to have realistic sword fighting, but what exactly is capable in ArmA3 and how can it be expanded on?  For example, can we at very least have a somewhat believable sword slash with a decent animation and different body part injuries like a cut to the leg or arm?

If I make a decent sword model would someone want to try to make it work?

Sure it can be done -- just do it.  Don't model a sword -- get it working with a simple cylinder.  I want melee for my mod, and I'll be modeling my own weapons and tools anyway, I just need the code and animations.  How does DayZ do the hatchet?  That would be a great start to have.

iirc melee fighting is usually a weapon(or fist for barehand fighting) thats shoots an invissible bullet that does not reach further then 1m or something like that (atleast thats how i think its done)

Like froggy posted mcruppert did melee with a sword and I believe gamemodes like Epoch, Exile and possibly breakingpoint also have melee built into it

I had short episode with such scripting few years ago, in A2 times. If you don't expect too much, and have animations - why not. Second part of that film shows some slow motion shots. I wonder, if in A3 this could be done better somehow for any reason. In A2 we had vanilla hand strike anims though. 

I had short episode with such scripting few years ago, in A2 times. If you don't expect too much, and have animations - why not. Second part of that film shows some slow motion shots. I wonder, if in A3 this could be done better somehow for any reason. In A2 we had vanilla hand strike anims though. 

Perfect -- can I use your code and try to modify for A3?  (If so, where can I get it?)

At this point I'd be happy with a working hatchet and bayonet.

You can use my code, adapt, change, release as you wish, just note - it uses A2's animations not present in A3 fo strikes and wounded reactions with additional mod (included, by Icewindo, author of the models and the film itself) giving various speed variants for strikes, so more skilled fencer will strike visually faster, also blood particle effect is A2, also it was never tested in A3 and is not ready-to-use in A3 for described reasons. And it's old, may be far from optimal, but no time to review it. Also uses some sounds from all the internets. 

Here is, the latest version, I found on HDD. 

You can use my code, adapt, change, release as you wish, just note - it uses A2's animations not present in A3 fo strikes and wounded reactions with additional mod (included, by Icewindo, author of the models and the film itself) giving various speed variants for strikes, so more skilled fencer will strike visually faster, also blood particle effect is A2, also it was never tested in A3 and is not ready-to-use in A3 for described reasons. And it's old, may be far from optimal, but no time to review it. Also uses some sounds from all the internets. 

Here is, the latest version, I found on HDD. 

Thank you.  Anyone else working on melee?

My mod DSS has a melee system, but more advanced as it can not only kill players, but cut down trees as well. So it is possible (in fact, anything is possible), but quite hard to create on your own.

My mod DSS has a melee system, but more advanced as it can not only kill players, but cut down trees as well. So it is possible (in fact, anything is possible), but quite hard to create on your own.

Actually tree-cutting is even higher on my list of priorities than weapons...  How did you do it?

Actually tree-cutting is even higher on my list of priorities than weapons...  How did you do it?

Well to cut down trees you can use this to chop a tree down:

_tree = nearestObjects [player, [], 4];
{if (!(_x isKindOf "All")) then {_x setDamage 1}} forEach _tree;

The code only destroys the objects that have no classnames (in a 4 meter radius), therefore much of the classless types are trees or rocks. Other types of vegetation and classless types have been tested, so trees are the only ones that appear to be damaged by this code.  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks -- I'll try that.  And now the giant question -- how do I code a hatchet?  I've tried everything I could think of but couldn't get it to work.