Anyone know if firing sound could be set so that the firing "bang" sound plays when the weapon fires first round but then loops either silence or some other sound as long as the fire key is down. I have a beam weapon that I have configured successfully with working soundsets, but I have no idea how to play the fire sound only once for the duration of the beam (as in the weapon is simulated by a rapid firing machine gun)

I could perhaps approach it by playing the firing sound with other means and give the weapon some sort of beam noise, but using the default sound engine would be preferable.

24 minutes ago, HorribleGoat said:

t so that the firing "bang" sound plays when the weapon fires first round but then loops either silence or some other sound as long as the fire key is down.

That's how gatling weapon sounds work, isn't it? I would have a look at those first.

18 minutes ago, x3kj said:

That's how gatling weapon sounds work, isn't it? I would have a look at those first.

As far as I was able to discern the vanilla gatling weapons dont much use the new sound engine and utilize very simple burst sound that just loops so it is  not what Im after except if playing one sound at the beginning and then looped sound after that is not possible via normal methods. 

Vanilla gatling sound is like RA-TA-RA-TA-RA-TA burst that loops where I would like tho make something like

ZA-PANG-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA- kind of a deal. Which I suppose could be done but setting the actual weapon to do the WUBA loop and play the ZA-PANG with other means.

1 hour ago, HorribleGoat said:

As far as I was able to discern the vanilla gatling weapons dont much use the new sound engine and utilize very simple burst sound that just loops so it is  not what Im after except if playing one sound at the beginning and then looped sound after that is not possible via normal methods. 

Vanilla gatling sound is like RA-TA-RA-TA-RA-TA burst that loops where I would like tho make something like

ZA-PANG-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA-WUBA- kind of a deal. Which I suppose could be done but setting the actual weapon to do the WUBA loop and play the ZA-PANG with other means.

Vanila gatling on A164 is exactly doing that but it doesn't support soundSets

24 minutes ago, reyhard said:

Vanila gatling on A164 is exactly doing that but it doesn't support soundSets

Great I'll give it another look then! Shows how well I understand anything sounds related xD Shame that soundsets dont work with it though. 

Okay so the Wipeouts gatling has the following sound set up:

class Gatling_30mm_Plane_CAS_01_F:

sounds[] = {"StandardSound"};
class StandardSound
{
begin1[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\arsenal\weapons_vehicles\gatling_30mm\30mm_01_burst", 5.62341, 1, 1500, {25704, 32159}};
soundBegin[] = {"begin1", 1};
};
soundContinuous = 1;

So it uses only a single sound that does indeed loop but it also fires a burst of shots with a single fire action so is the sound/loop tied to that and what defines what part of the sound loops? 

soundContinuous also ties into this somehow I presume. 

41 minutes ago, HorribleGoat said:

Okay so the Wipeouts gatling has the following sound set up:

class Gatling_30mm_Plane_CAS_01_F:

sounds[] = {"StandardSound"};
class StandardSound
{
begin1[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\arsenal\weapons_vehicles\gatling_30mm\30mm_01_burst", 5.62341, 1, 1500, {25704, 32159}};
soundBegin[] = {"begin1", 1};
};
soundContinuous = 1;

So it uses only a single sound that does indeed loop but it also fires a burst of shots with a single fire action so is the sound/loop tied to that and what defines what part of the sound loops? 

soundContinuous also ties into this somehow I presume. 

{25704, 32159}

first is the loop start and second is loop end.

hope that helps ;)

1 minute ago, reyhard said:

{25704, 32159}

first is the loop start and second is loop end.

hope that helps ;)

Yes I think I can produce some tests with this! Thank you!

@reyhard Ok so as Im not much of a sound guy I have no idea what unit those loop numbers are. :D Finally got a decent pewpew sound put together but for the life of me cant get my looping part to loop. Have tried millliseconds and samples but no right loop. Could you help?

15 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

@reyhard Ok so as Im not much of a sound guy I have no idea what unit those loop numbers are. :D Finally got a decent pewpew sound put together but for the life of me cant get my looping part to loop. Have tried millliseconds and samples but no right loop. Could you help?

Show us your config. Is your file a 44.1/16bit file?

The numbers are sample numbers. That's 100% correct. 

20 hours ago, megagoth1702 said:

Show us your config. Is your file a 44.1/16bit file?

The numbers are sample numbers. That's 100% correct. 

Got confirmation that they are samples on Arma Discord last nigth and found out the loop was working just not sounding quite like I had imagined so config wise I think im good as far as Arma can go, but the part I was hoping to loop was not as loop compatible as I had hoped I think and yes using 44.1/16bit WAV converted to WSS.

I mixed in a low buzz sound for the beam loop but got very odd high pitch artifacts every now and then with it although the loop start and end match almost like Arma trying to communicate with me..  Could have been something about the actual sound too being just monotonous low pitch buzz.

Im suspecting my very high rate of fire and and firing 4 of the same weapons simultaneously do not make it any easier.

Ok so the artifact sound is apparently some sort of ghost radio call or Arma is really trying to tell me something..

Any suggestion what causes this are welcome. 

Also I have enemy tanks as target practice a few hundred meters from me that could be making these radio calls but as Im on opposite side Im not supposed to be able to hear them.

3 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

Ok so the artifact sound is apparently some sort of ghost radio call or Arma is really trying to tell me something..

Any suggestion what causes this are welcome. 

Also I have enemy tanks as target practice a few hundred meters from me that could be making these radio calls but as Im on opposite side Im not supposed to be able to hear them.

What the... ?

I am totally confused. Please share the addon.

6 hours ago, megagoth1702 said:

What the... ?

I am totally confused. Please share the addon.

I'll see if I can reproduce this without all the custom assets I got in play and make a lite debug version where this happens. Also need to test without any other characters around who could do the talking.
It could be something in the setup I have for my multiple weapon systems or how the walkers are built.

Ok so tested it with single weapon and by adding it to vanilla vehicles and same artifact persists. It does change a little in speed depending on how much stuff is going on but its always there.

I'll make a debug addon with the audio and weapon config and test scenario.

Digging more into it I did set the repeat samples to {7136, 12815} which was pretty random take from the middle of the initial "bang". Which repeats just fine. So could it be the low monotonous buzz.

Update: Looped another segment around the end of the bang where the monotonous buzz sill has some of the bangs trails mixed in and that too loops perfect. So Im really thinking something about the monotonous never changing buzz looping breaks something.

Update II: Ok so from what I gather if the looped segment is all the same continuously something breaks. Maybe some sort of memory corruption or something (No clue whatsoever). Anyhow confirmed it working with buzzing that has just little bit of the bangs trail mixed in and it loops just fine {38432, 39811}. The buzz itself is terrible though, got to figure out something else for the beam.

Hello,

I saw earlier in the thread you guys touched on jet engine rpm being fixed at 100% RPM after start and I have a question related to it.  Does anyone know of a way to lengthen engine runup?  Or maybe another workaround to delay the start of the idle sound.  My issue is that I'm trying to use a startup sound effect that includes the starter, combustion stage and spool up to idle and the sound file is about 60 seconds total length.  I need to have the separate idle sound meet it around that sixty second mark and then loop as normal but I'm stuck on how to accomplish it with only frequency and volume parameters available.  As we've established, the engine RPM does spool to 100% seconds after engineOn, regardless of throttle position or what the startup sound effect is doing.

Any help or a -shove off you're out of luck- would be appreciated

3 hours ago, J.Kiel said:

Hello,

I saw earlier in the thread you guys touched on jet engine rpm being fixed at 100% RPM after start and I have a question related to it.  Does anyone know of a way to lengthen engine runup?  Or maybe another workaround to delay the start of the idle sound.  My issue is that I'm trying to use a startup sound effect that includes the starter, combustion stage and spool up to idle and the sound file is about 60 seconds total length.  I need to have the separate idle sound meet it around that sixty second mark and then loop as normal but I'm stuck on how to accomplish it with only frequency and volume parameters available.  As we've established, the engine RPM does spool to 100% seconds after engineOn, regardless of throttle position or what the startup sound effect is doing.

Any help or a -shove off you're out of luck- would be appreciated

The only way I can think of is increasing the actual startup time in the config - if this is even possible.

Would be weird if the plane flew around already with the startup sound still playing, anyway :D

Our prayers have been heard. @reyhard informed me that we got a new feature in Dev Branch: Custom Sound Controllers!

Not much time at hand right now, but I'll try to give a quick overview. Just tested around a bit, things might change or simply not be correct.

Overview:

Each vehicle gets 5 Custom Sound Controllers that can be dynamically changed via scripts.

The controllers are called CustomSoundController1, CustomSoundController2... etc.

Uppercase and lowercase is important: It's gotta be CustomSoundContoller, each of the three words starting with a capital letter.

The controllers are given into calculation each frame and are !!LOCAL!!

Three new script commands:

getCustomSoundController - returns currently set value to the controller

• getCustomSoundController [Vehicle, NameOfSoundControllerAsString]
  • getCustomSoundController [(vehicle player), "CustomSoundController1"]

setCustomSoundController - sets value to controller

• setCustomSoundController [Vehicle, NameOfSoundControllerAsString, Value]
  • setCustomSoundController [(vehicle player), "CustomSoundController1", 0.5]

getCustomSoundControllerCount - returns number of available custom controllers (Always 5 at the moment)

Will definitely use this to get full-feature Stuka siren sounds in Iron Front. :D

Other possible applications I can think of are damaged engine sounds, using the controllers to trigger soundSets etc.

Linking people that might be interested:

@tpM

@bigpickle

@LordJarhead

@megagoth1702 (Update First post? :) )

@audiocustoms

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 25/07/2018 at 3:39 PM, laxemann said:

Our prayers have been heard. @reyhard informed me that we got a new feature in Dev Branch: Custom Sound Controllers!

Not much time at hand right now, but I'll try to give a quick overview. Just tested around a bit, things might change or simply not be correct.

Overview:

Each vehicle gets 5 Custom Sound Controllers that can be dynamically changed via scripts.

The controllers are called CustomSoundController1, CustomSoundController2... etc.

Uppercase and lowercase is important: It's gotta be CustomSoundContoller, each of the three words starting with a capital letter.

The controllers are given into calculation each frame and are !!LOCAL!!

Three new script commands:

getCustomSoundController - returns currently set value to the controller

• getCustomSoundController [Vehicle, NameOfSoundControllerAsString]
  • getCustomSoundController [(vehicle player), "CustomSoundController1"]

setCustomSoundController - sets value to controller

• setCustomSoundController [Vehicle, NameOfSoundControllerAsString, Value]
  • setCustomSoundController [(vehicle player), "CustomSoundController1", 0.5]

getCustomSoundControllerCount - returns number of available custom controllers (Always 5 at the moment)

Will definitely use this to get full-feature Stuka siren sounds in Iron Front. :D

Other possible applications I can think of are damaged engine sounds, using the controllers to trigger soundSets etc.

Linking people that might be interested:

@tpM

@bigpickle

@LordJarhead

@megagoth1702 (Update First post? :) )

@audiocustoms

Why is this thread so dead? This is great news! 

Would these new scripting variables allow us to have a separate vehicle-weapon fire sound while in vehicle first person and in 3rd person/outside of vehicle? This is something I and am sure many others would love to have control over. Quick and easy example, A10 warthog gau8 minigun : deafening from cockpit view when volume is set to an accurate exterior level. 

19 hours ago, peteweir said:

Why is this thread so dead? This is great news! 

Would these new scripting variables allow us to have a separate vehicle-weapon fire sound while in vehicle first person and in 3rd person/outside of vehicle? This is something I and am sure many others would love to have control over. Quick and easy example, A10 warthog gau8 minigun : deafening from cockpit view when volume is set to an accurate exterior level. 

Unfortunately not, the new tech only applies to vehicles and their sounds, not weapons/characters. :/

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, laxemann said:

Unfortunately not, the new tech only applies to vehicles and their sounds, not weapons/characters. :/

God damn it! I thought this was the revelation I had been waiting for haha. Do you think it'd be possible to hack a dirty solution for this effect by using an internal audio clip for a 'close' distance class of a vehicle weapons sound set, and just set the radius of that close-class to like 5m so it only applies while in first person - whilst using the second and more distant classes while in 3rd person? 

11 hours ago, peteweir said:

God damn it! I thought this was the revelation I had been waiting for haha. Do you think it'd be possible to hack a dirty solution for this effect by using an internal audio clip for a 'close' distance class of a vehicle weapons sound set, and just set the radius of that close-class to like 5m so it only applies while in first person - whilst using the second and more distant classes while in 3rd person? 

That's what I'm doing in Iron Front in the (unreleased) version. :D Working alright, thing is that every seat in a vehicle has got a different "distance" to the weapon, a balance between having interior sounds for everyone and not having interior sounds when standing outside has to be found :b

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, laxemann said:

That's what I'm doing in Iron Front in the (unreleased) version. :D Working alright, thing is that every seat in a vehicle has got a different "distance" to the weapon, a balance between having interior sounds for everyone and not having interior sounds when standing outside has to be found :b

Awesome! Yeah I figured that might be an issue, I'm planning on using this technique on an ac130 so the external cameras fairly far away, hopefully should be alright, would be cool if you could get it setup in a tank so when you're turned out you hear the external sounds. BTW big fan of your sound mod, awesome work!

Got it working nicely last night, thanks for the info

• Thanks 1