Hey, thanks for the quick reply buddy!

Didn't knew about the Discord channel, nice :)

So far I already studied some mod configs and also looked through the arma3 audio wiki. (thanks for that btw) Everything stated there makes perfectly sense to me, maybe because it's mostly audio related.

I didn't come across basic modding tutorials regarding audio, thats why I'm a little confused about dependencies and modding arma in general.

Basically, no matter how many PBOs the game loads, inside these PBOs are configs.

So that means the PBOs can be named like I wish but the config compiled into the PBO talks to arma, right?

SoundSet Z will be used, because it's last in the load order. This is how the game knows what to use.

Makes sense now :)

Hallo

I noticed that LAxeman's sound mod was organised by the sound based on distance (0m, 50m, 150m, etc.). However the way I made my first sound mod was by taking the sounds_f_arsenal.pbo and then making my own folder, editing the sounds and exporting the final sound onto the files. I am noob.

~Few Problems~

• I can't tweak the sound of the closure sounds as I want the mechanics to be more defined
  • I can't edit any DLC weapons D:
  • My file is made significantly larger due to the fact that the sounds_f_arsenal.pbo also has all vehicle sounds and other weapons that I do not want to edit
  • My files doesn't look as clean and polished as yours D:

I was wondering how you guys were able to setup a system where you can organize the files into simple folders with one folder for the tails.

-Thanks

I have a basic question about Addon Builder and packing sound PBO's

First, can you use addon builder to pack custom WSS files via the P drive so they will work in game?

Second, if you can would you please give an example of how to do this successfully so the sounds can be heard in game. 

Thx in advance for your input and your help with this.

Would it be possible to create a sound mod with sound effects, i have already a mod out with equipments but a friend of mine asked me to make sound effects like "Alpha In Position" how would make that into a mod? or is it possible just to make a folder "Sound_Effects" PBO that and place it the Mod - Addons like any other mod?

Hi guys,

I stumbled across this thread while searching for an answer to a question I had with regards to using sounds

which are part of a -mod- rather than those I've grabbed on the 'net and placed into my working mission folder.

Okay, so, I've got a folder named "sound" which contains my custom sounds, and they're all specified in the

"description.ext" and play fine. As well, I can adjust the audio level within the desciption.ext for each one.

The mission I'm working on uses the "Unsung 3.1 Delta" Vietnam mod. I've just discovered that when I lay

a trigger down that I can specify sound/voice files which are -embedded- within the Unsung mod as .PBO

files. This presents me with a plethora of additional sounds to use in the mission, which is wonderful.

However...l (there's always a "however", right?) I see no way to set the volume of those "Unsung"

sounds which I can select via the trigger properties window. 

So, my question is this: "Is there a way to set the volume property for any of those embedded "Unsung"

sound files?

My thanks for any help/assistance you can provide me.

Regards, Odd

On 1/10/2016 at 4:46 PM, megagoth1702 said:

inspired by the great MarkXIII and with a new audio engine around the corner here we go with

Thanks for that mate. 

I've been away dealing with real life for a long time but when you sent me the link to this page it cheered me up.

Keep up the good work dude. This is great to see!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mark XIII (DayZ) said:

Haha apparently so :)

Wanna get the band back together?

Or am I flying solo?

If you want your old account back, it can be merged. 

• Like 1

Just now, R0adki11 said:

If you want your old account back, it can be merged. 

Yes please!

Thank you very much :D

Just now, Mark XIII (DayZ) said:

Yes please!

Thank you very much :D

Please post a formal request in this thread, with your old forum name etc 

Now perhaps we should get back on topic :f:

Haha, ok back on topic!

Is there a way to stop the tails overlapping each other slightly when firing long bursts on full auto?

I've noticed this quite a bit and once it's noticed it is very hard to un-notice it :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark XIII (DayZ) said:

Haha apparently so :)

Wanna get the band back together?

Or am I flying solo?

Would love to but tbh I don't have much time for A3 anymore. And I know how time flies when I'm immersed in configs, so it would eat up time I don't have. So sorry....

I do miss our sessions.

Hey guys, I've been trying to get some audio functions working with an ac130 mod I've been tweaking for personal use. I'd really like to have the vehicle's mounted weapon sounds muffled and more quite while in 1st person but normal when in 3rd person. I've managed to get some relatively good external audio muffling using these:

attenuationEffectType="CarAttenuation";
	insideSoundCoef = 0.001;
	obstructSoundLFRatio = 1;
	obstructSoundsWhenIn = 0.001;
	occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;
	occludeSoundsWhenIn = 0.001;
	outsideSoundFilter = 1;

However while this seems to quieten external environmental sounds and explosions, they don't seem to have any effect on the audio of the vehicle's weapons when in 1st Person.

I've tried adding the camPos instead of the values in the sound class but aht doesn't seem to do anything.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything on this, it'd make vehicles a lot more immersive imo.

5 minutes ago, pingopete said:

Hey guys, I've been trying to get some audio functions working with an ac130 mod I've been tweaking for personal use. I'd really like to have the vehicle's mounted weapon sounds muffled and more quite while in 1st person but normal when in 3rd person. I've managed to get some relatively good external audio muffling using these:

attenuationEffectType="CarAttenuation";
	insideSoundCoef = 0.001;
	obstructSoundLFRatio = 1;
	obstructSoundsWhenIn = 0.001;
	occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;
	occludeSoundsWhenIn = 0.001;
	outsideSoundFilter = 1;

However while this seems to quieten external environmental sounds and explosions, they don't seem to have any effect on the audio of the vehicle's weapons when in 1st Person.

I've tried adding the camPos instead of the values in the sound class but aht doesn't seem to do anything.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything on this, it'd make vehicles a lot more immersive imo.

From what I know you cant have/do muffled interior audio has they haven't added, well, they did in 1.62 or someshit but then removed it again. 

On 6/18/2017 at 3:12 AM, xxgetbuck123 said:

From what I know you cant have/do muffled interior audio has they haven't added, well, they did in 1.62 or someshit but then removed it again. 

ah right ok, thanks for the reply. Would there be anyway of hacking it by using the camPos value instead of a variable somewhere in the weapon's sound class to alter the frequency and/or volume of the shot sound when it's fired?

I tried adding these value below as it appears in the just class sounds section, but got nothing (I can barely find any info on the values in begin1 other than the adress)

class StandardSound
	{
		weaponSoundEffect="DefaultRifle";
		begin1[]=
		{
			"USAF_AC130U\sounds\l60.wss",
		};
		frequency="(1-campos)";
		volume="(1-camPos)";
		soundBegin[]=
		{
			"begin1",
		};
	};

OR Like this

class L60Fire_SoundShader
	{
		samples[]=
		{	

{
			},

{
			},

{
			},

{
			}
		};
		volume = 1; <<<<<<<<<< e.g. "(camPos*5)-3"
		range = 3500;
		limitation=1;
		rangeCurve[]=
		{
			{0,1},
			{1000,1},
			{3500,0}
		};
	};

EDIT: Just found this in the second most recent changelog (Jets Update):

"Added: An ability to split internal and external vehicle sounds"

I can't find any documentation though

Edit2: I've since tried making a custom sound shader as I saw they allow some variables and equations in place of arrays, however they apparently don't support camPos! Ah the frustration.

Can anybody tell me how to get my custom sounds working in my pistol mod.

I have a working config.   It packs just fine and I can select the pistol in VA.

When I fire the weapon the default ARMA tails play just fine, it's my custom short sounds that don't play.

The directory structure is correct but no luck.

Is there a special procedure for converting stereo wav files to .wss or .ogg that need to be followed for them to work in game? Do I have to do all conversions on the P drive and pack the PBO there as well to get them to work?  

I'm at a loss.

Your help is appreciated.

Scott

^Make sure you have the original pbo of the weapon you wish to override in requiredaddons.

I have got the A3_weapon_f Pbo included in required addons section of the config.

Please take a look.

Everything packs and compiles fine but the short sounds don't work and the directory structure is correct.

I will be glad to upload the mod via Mega so you can check it out.  Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

class CfgPatches 
{
	class SWTX_Magnum 
	{
		authors[] = {"Project Genesis Team"};
		author = "SWTX";
		name = "Rhino .357 Magnum";
		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Weapons_F", "A3_Sounds_F"};
		requiredVersion = 0.1;
		units[] = {};
		ammo[] = {"B_357_JHP"};
		magazines[] = {"6Rnd_357magnum_Cylinder"};
		weapons[] = {"hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F", "hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_Yorris_F"};
	};
};

class CfgAmmo 
{
	class B_762x51_Ball;
	class B_357_JHP : B_762x51_Ball 
	{
		audibleFire = 50;
		typicalSpeed = 825;
	};
};

class CfgMagazines 
{
	class 6Rnd_45ACP_Cylinder;
	class 6Rnd_357magnum_Cylinder : 6Rnd_45ACP_Cylinder 
	{
		ammo = "B_357_JHP";
		author = "SWTX";
		displayName = ".357 Magnum 6Rnd Speed Loader";
		descriptionShort = ".357 Speed Loader";
		initSpeed = 825;
		mass = 6;
	};
};
class Mode_SemiAuto; // external class reference
class BaseSoundModeType;    // external class reference
class CfgWeapons 
{
	class Pistol_Base_F;
	class hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_F : Pistol_Base_F 
	{
		class Single;
	};

class hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F : hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_F 
	{ 
		author = "SWTX";
		_generalMacro = "hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F";
		baseWeapon = "hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F";
		scope = 2;
		magazines[] = {"6Rnd_357magnum_Cylinder"};
		displayname = "Rhino .357 Magnum";
		descriptionShort = ".357 Magnum";

class Library {
			libTextDesc = "$STR_A3_CfgWeapons_hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F_Library0";
		};

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto
		{
			sounds[] = {"StandardSound"};
			class BaseSoundModeType;
			class StandardSound: BaseSoundModeType
			{
				soundSetShot[] = {"Pistol_357_F","Zubr_Tail_SoundSet","Zubr_InteriorTail_SoundSet"};   // Weapons use Sets now for sounds
			}; 
		};
	};

class hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_Yorris_F : hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_357_F {
		author = "SWTX";
		_generalMacro = "hgun_Pistol_heavy_02_Yorris_F";

class LinkedItems {
			class LinkedItemsOptic {
				slot = "CowsSlot";
				item = "optic_Yorris";
			};			
		};
	};
};

class Pistol_Shot_Base_SoundSet; // external class reference
class CfgSoundSets   // There is a new superclass called soundsets and soundshaders
{
	class Pistol_357_F: Pistol_Shot_Base_SoundSet   // Here we define what soundshaders will be used in what soundset, a set can always have multiple shaders
	{
		soundShaders[] = {"Zubr_Closure_SoundShader","Zubr_closeShot_SoundShader","Zubr_midShot_SoundShader","Zubr_distShot_SoundShader"};
	};
};
class CfgSoundShaders   // These are the shaders, they tell the game how many sounds to use per shader groupd and where they are located
{
	class Zubr_closeShot_SoundShader
	{
		samples[] = {
			{ "PG_Zubr\sounds\Zubr_short (1)",1 },
			{ "PG_Zubr\sounds\Zubr_short (2)",1 },
			{ "PG_Zubr\sounds\Zubr_short (3)",1 }};
		volume = 1;   // Should be simple
		range = 50;   // Range depends on the other sounds that gets mixed into the sound set of sounds. In this case its only a "close shot" that gets mixed with "midShot" and "distShot" so we only have 50 meters here
		rangeCurve = "closeShotCurve";
	};
};

Time for a little update.

1. SoundShaders & SoundSets for vehicles

We can now use soundShaders & soundSets for vehicles. This is awesome, mostly because every soundSet can have it's own attenuation & filter settings.

First you configure soundShaders, frequency & volume parameters are capable of handling simple expressions and soundControllers.

Then you configure soundSets, important note here: realtime simple expression updates only work for soundShaders, if the soundShader is the ONLY ONE in the soundSet. This is an engine limitation we have to live with. Having more than one soundShader in soundSet will break it. Keep in mind that one soundSet = one voice and there is a limited number of voices that can be played at the same time. So if you have too many soundSets for your vehicle, you run into the chance of audio missing/skipping when too many assets are in the scene.

2. Interior/Exterior vehicle sound soundSets

It was possible to do this for vehicle sounds (engines etc. not weapons) by using camPos soundcontroller as a check whether cam is inside or outside. Now, to save performance, we have different soundSets for int/ext. Depending on camera position, only one set of soundSets is evaluated. SoundShaders & sets are configured as usual, but in the vehicle sound configuration we do something a bit differently. Check this image for an example.

3. playTrigger

A new parameter for soundSets. Once value goes over 0, soundSet will be triggered. Example: playTrigger = thrust - 0.1As soon as the player presses any movement button, thrust is applied. Because the expression starts at -0.1, it will go over 0 as soon as the button is pressed. This allows for quick accelleration sounds, "fake" high RPM Engine Bursts at the beginning of movement. Check the KUMA MBT on devBranch for an example. 

4. machCone

New soundController for jets. Will be 1 if camera is within machCone of a jet. Will be 0 if camera is OUTSIDE of machCone. Use this on all soundShaders of jets so that sound is silent when listener is in front of the machCone. Supersonic jets are silent from the front, because of this soundController.

5. cfgSoundShapes

Check wiki, we can now properly assign directionality to soundSets, which is very good for vehicles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's worth mentioning that the soundShapes also accept it when the innerVolume is less than the outerVolume. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, megagoth1702 said:

Time for a little update.

1. SoundShaders & SoundSets for vehicles

We can now use soundShaders & soundSets for vehicles. This is awesome, mostly because every soundSet can have it's own attenuation & filter settings.

First you configure soundShaders, frequency & volume parameters are capable of handling simple expressions and soundControllers.

Then you configure soundSets, important note here: realtime simple expression updates only work for soundShaders, if the soundShader is the ONLY ONE in the soundSet. This is an engine limitation we have to live with. Having more than one soundShader in soundSet will break it. Keep in mind that one soundSet = one voice and there is a limited number of voices that can be played at the same time. So if you have too many soundSets for your vehicle, you run into the chance of audio missing/skipping when too many assets are in the scene.

2. Interior/Exterior vehicle sound sets

It was possible to do this by using camPos soundcontroller as a check whether cam is inside or outside. Now, to save performance, we have different soundSets for int/ext. Depending on camera position, only one set of soundSets is evaluated. SoundShaders & sets are configured as usual, but in the vehicle sound configuration we do something a bit differently. Check this image for an example.

3. playTrigger

A new parameter for soundSets. Once value goes over 0, soundSet will be triggered. Example: playTrigger = thrust - 0.1As soon as the player presses any movement button, thrust is applied. Because the expression starts at -0.1, it will go over 0 as soon as the button is pressed. This allows for quick accelleration sounds, "fake" high RPM Engine Bursts at the beginning of movement. Check the KUMA MBT on devBranch for an example. 

4. machCone

New soundController for jets. Will be 1 if camera is within machCone of a jet. Will be 0 if camera is OUTSIDE of machCone. Use this on all soundShaders of jets so that sound is silent when listener is in front of the machCone. Supersonic jets are silent from the front, because of this soundController.

5. cfgSoundShapes

Check wiki, we can now properly assign directionality to soundSets, which is very good for vehicles.

#2: This sounds great, however afaik there's still no mention of whether vehicle's turret sounds will have an internal/external audio sample available, as campos never used to work with vehicle weapons, but only for engine and wind sounds. Please say yes, as this is the most important audio tweak that could be made for vehicles at the moment IMO.

56 minutes ago, pingopete said:

#2: This sounds great, however afaik there's still no mention of whether vehicle's turret sounds will have an internal/external audio sample available, as campos never used to work with vehicle weapons, but only for engine and wind sounds. Please say yes, as this is the most important audio tweak that could be made for vehicles at the moment IMO.

Can not 100% confirm, but it's being talked about and seen as very important. If it will be possible for A3 will depend on free programmer ressources, which as we know, are very scarce. We all will have to wait and see. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Year: 2017, almost 2018.

Do we still have to wait and pray for loop points? The engine should easily detect inserted loop points and use them like games 2005  already have done.

Free software can handle loop points, why Arma 3 can't? 

Quick question I believe here: I want to add a prayer call as a Zeus sound I can drop. Would there be a mod out there currently that adds this or if not how easy and/ or feasible would it be to make a mod myself sharable to a large number of people that could add a prayer call as a Zeus sound to be dropped in like the current "Sound" files can be? -Sorry if this isn't quite in tune with the rest of the posts here.