Hello again!

I have decided to try make my gun inherit the gun sounds from the SPAR 16 rifle. My question is where are the files located in the Arma root folder. What PBO? Sound shaders, tails, configs, models and such.

Thanks in advance 

That answers alot for me thankyou!

I also have a question if i may MG.

Is it possible to play a sample on an increase of speed/thrust/rpm, but have it not play on the decrease?

Nope. :(

Hello again!

I have decided to try make my gun inherit the gun sounds from the SPAR 16 rifle. My question is where are the files located in the Arma root folder. What PBO? Sound shaders, tails, configs, models and such.

Thanks in advance 

sounds_f.pbo config.cpp

sounds_f.pbo config.cpp

Hi again! 

Thanks alot! Although there is shaders etc, there is nothing at all from APEX. Any clue where bohemia put them? This is the one im looking fot "arifle_SPAR_01_blk_F" 

Hi again! 

Thanks alot! Although there is shaders etc, there is nothing at all from APEX. Any clue where bohemia put them? This is the one im looking fot "arifle_SPAR_01_blk_F" 

Would be under 'expansions' in your Arma 3 directory, and they'll also be ebo files which you cannot open up yet. 

Hi again!

Look for "all in one config" , you will get a huge text file where everything is defined for everything. There you can find all sound shaders.

Look for "all in one config" , you will get a huge text file where everything is defined for everything. There you can find all sound shaders.

Thank you so much  :wub:

Yeah I gathered as much. I have another one which I'm sure you've encountered.

The A164 30mm cannon. How does the loop system actually work?

Here's what I know:

1. The new sound shader system does not seem to be implemented onto the weapon, old config style is the only thing that works.
  2. Loop system is measured in Samples not decimal.
  3. GAU8",1,1,1000,{30000,130000}}; green highlight is the start and red highlight the end of the looped area.
  4. When converting Bis gau8 sample the file played at what seemed to be twice the speed in the audio editor.
  5. When I have tried to set up a loop with a sample, once in game is doesnt loop.

Any guidence would be muchly appreciated

Yeah I gathered as much. I have another one which I'm sure you've encountered.

The A164 30mm cannon. How does the loop system actually work?

Here's what I know:

• The new sound shader system does not seem to be implemented onto the weapon, old config style is the only thing that works.
  • Loop system is measured in Samples not decimal.
  • GAU8",1,1,1000,{30000,130000}}; green highlight is the start and red highlight the end of the looped area.
  • When converting Bis gau8 sample the file played at what seemed to be twice the speed in the audio editor.
  • When I have tried to set up a loop with a sample, once in game is doesnt loop.
Any guidence would be muchly appreciated

1. Yep, no loops for shaders yet.

2. Yep, samples.

3. Yep, sample numbers.

4. I never had that. What converter did you use? I never have any issues with Mikero's DeWss (at this point I think it's not free anymore but the few bucks for the years of free use are okay).

5. No idea what is going on there. I would compare a working BI confing with yours. I have been away from arma for weeks, summer break, and have not had to use loops but when I played with them months ago it worked. I think there is some soundContinuous parameter or something. Again - hard to toubleshoot at distance.

Guys, you all are great! 

Thanks for putting all this info on Audio Modding in Arma 3 together. It is a great learning source.

I'm just getting my head around all c++ programming in Arma. Having prior experience in audio plugin programming, it's a little easier but not the same :D

Same thing here. NightIntruder I believe said that audio that is 44Khz is no longer supported, instead we must downgrade to 22Khz. Is this true? Anyone have any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated  :)

If that would be the case we would only be able to listen to frequencies up to 11khz, which is a very bad thing because its like looking at a completely blurry picture. 

maybe someone knows this: what sampling rate and bit depth are *.wss files anyway? 

I suppose they have not the same sampling rate and bit depth as the source material, right? so what is the engine ultimately using?

at the moment I have no further questions due to no free time, but be sure to prepare for my questioning as soon as I checked out the BI source files to understand the hirachy ;)

Thanks!

Hi again! 

I am assuming that particular rifle may be sharing a shader from another rifle or folder.

And a question for everyone, specially you Megagoth :)....  Ok, i finally got a tool to repack a pbo, granted it is repacking correctly. I am checking the packed PBO to see if all items or folders and wss files are in and they are. The only thing now is I keep hearing the vanilla sounds for a particular test rifle, the MX. What I am doing is using a config file and just renamed some attributes to it but made sure all paths are at least, correct:  

P:\CSM4\Addons\CSM_MX

This is the path to the ArmA3 folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@CSM4\Addons

Now here is the first section of the config file:

//Class CSM4_MX : config.bin{

class CfgPatches

{

class CSM4_MX

{

units[] = { };

weapons[] = {"arifle_MXC_F","arifle_MX_F","arifle_MX_GL_F","arifle_MX_SW_F","arifle_MXM_F","arifle_MX_Hamr_pointer_F","arifle_MX_ACO_pointer_F","arifle_MX_GL_ACO_pointer_F","arifle_MX_GL_Hamr_pointer_F","arifle_MXC_Holo_F","arifle_MXC_Holo_pointer_F","arifle_MX_SW_Hamr_pointer_F","arifle_MXM_Hamr_pointer_F","arifle_MX_pointer_F","arifle_MX_Holo_pointer_F","arifle_MX_ACO_F","arifle_MX_GL_ACO_F","arifle_MX_SW_pointer_F"};

requiredVersion = 0.100000;

requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Weapons_F"};

version = "1";

};

};

class Mode_SemiAuto;

class Mode_Burst;

class Mode_FullAuto;

class CfgWeapons

{

class Rifle_Base_F;

class arifle_MX_Base_F: Rifle_Base_F

{

drySound[] = {"JSRS2_MX\MX_dry", 0.362341, 1, 100};

reloadMagazineSound[] = {"JSRS2_MX\MX_reload", 0.362341, 1, 100};

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto

{

sounds[] = {StandardSound, SilencedSound};

class BaseSoundModeType;

class StandardSound: BaseSoundModeType /// Sounds inside this class are used when soundTypeIndex = 0, according to sounds[]

{

begin1[] = {"CSM4_MX\single_s1", 1, 1, 130};

begin2[] = {"CSM4_MX\single_s2", 1, 1, 130};

soundBegin[] = {"begin1", 0.25, "begin2", 0.25};

this lower half I cut off to save space.  Ok, the section "weapons" ..should  I have left it as "   {};  " blank? Or would that have made any difference? I filled it in with the other class names just in case assuming thats what I needed to get it to work. Now, with all other sound mods; SoS, Dyna, and JSRS, they are doing the same thing. Just Vanilla sounds and nothing has been changed. I think with JSRS only a few bullet sounds are sounding modified at this point. Am I missing something? A version? Ive checked the confid folder of ArmA3's sound_c file after I updated the version , to see if there is anything changed or renamed and its the same as before. Notice its a insert from JSRS. I am only using this as a way to figure out how it is done or, if it even works thus far, so i can start creating my own or using it as a template

maybe someone knows this: what sampling rate and bit depth are *.wss files anyway? 

I suppose they have not the same sampling rate and bit depth as the source material, right? so what is the engine ultimately using?

Welcome bro! :)

wss contains only PCM data. No WAV headers or anything. The wss data is the same as the source (unless you set specific parameters to change the sampling rate) - usually nowadays 16bit 44.1khz stereo wav.

I'm stoned and tired, gonna try to reply to chammy when I get some more time. Fucking busy with uni and party at the moment. Which I really enjoy tbh. :D

Welcome bro! :)

wss contains only PCM data. No WAV headers or anything. The wss data is the same as the source (unless you set specific parameters to change the sampling rate) - usually nowadays 16bit 44.1khz stereo wav.

I'm stoned and tired, gonna try to reply to chammy when I get some more time. Fucking busy with uni and party at the moment. Which I really enjoy tbh. :D

And the mystery and the wait goes on :P 

@megagoth1702

I get this error when running the demo mission you posted for the sound controllers, I cant fix the issue either.

11:53:43 Error in expression <"\n";
} forEach (getAllSoundControllers (vehicle player));
hintSilent DUMMY_stri>
11:53:43   Error position: <(vehicle player));
hintSilent DUMMY_stri>
11:53:43   Error Missing )
11:53:43 File C:\Users\MegaBeast\Documents\Arma 3\missions\#soundControllers.Stratis\init.sqf, line 24

:(

Argh forgot this existed and already started a new topic... well.

Hello,

I wanted to cover all the weapons of ArmA, APEX included. So my configs for like the MK14 looks like this:

class CfgPatches // Copyright © 2015 by LordJarhead. JSRS SOUND MODIFICATIONS by Dennis Kahl (LordJarhead) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://jsrs-studios.com/.
{
    class JSRSAPEX_Mk14
    {
        units[] = { };
        weapons[] = { };
        requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Sounds_F","A3_Weapons_F","JPEX_FrameWork"};
        version = "1";
        projectName = "JSRS APEX";
        author = "LordJarhead";
    };
};
class Mode_SemiAuto;
class Mode_Burst;
class Mode_FullAuto;
class CfgWeapons
{
    class Rifle_Long_Base_F;
    class DMR_06_base_F: Rifle_Long_Base_F
    {
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            class StandardSound: BaseSoundModeType
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_MK14_Shot_SoundSet","JPEX_MK14_Tail_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_RIFLE_REFLECTORS","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
            class SilencedSound: BaseSoundModeType
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_MK14_Shot_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_MK14_Tail_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
        };
        class FullAuto: Mode_FullAuto
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_MK14_Shot_SoundSet","JPEX_MK14_Tail_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_RIFLE_REFLECTORS","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_MK14_Shot_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_MK14_Tail_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
        };
    };
    class srifle_dmr_06_camo_f: DMR_06_base_F
    {
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
            };
            {
            };
        };
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
            };
            {
            };
        };
    };
};

Problem is, I get updating base class RPTs. 17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_mk14 7,62 mm\config.bin/CfgWeapons/DMR_06_base_F/

Why tho? Its exactly the same build up as the vanilla config... Same goes for all the other DMRs kinda:

17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_cyrus 9,3 mm\config.bin/CfgWeapons/DMR_05_base_F/
17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_mk-1 emr 7,62mm\config.bin/CfgWeapons/DMR_03_base_F/
17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_mk14 7,62 mm\config.bin/CfgWeapons/DMR_06_base_F/
17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_navid 9,3 mm\config.bin/CfgWeapons/mmg_01_base_F/
17:31:48 Updating base class Rifle_Base_F->Rifle_Long_Base_F, by jsrsapex_w_s_spmg .338\config.bin/CfgWeapons/MMG_02_base_F/

The MMG's have a problem for some reason... vanille the weapons are Rifle_Long_Base and still this "updating base class" happens... I see no solution or reason...

And the EMR is having vanilla sounds when the AI is using it... heres the config:

class CfgPatches // Copyright © 2015 by LordJarhead. JSRS SOUND MODIFICATIONS by Dennis Kahl (LordJarhead) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://jsrs-studios.com/.
{
    class JSRSAPEX_Mk1EMR
    {
        units[] = { };
        weapons[] = { };
        version = "1";
        author = "LordJarhead";
    };
};
class Mode_SemiAuto;
class Mode_Burst;
class Mode_FullAuto;
class CfgWeapons
{
    class Rifle_Long_Base_F;
    class DMR_03_base_F: Rifle_Long_Base_F
    {
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_EMR_Shot_SoundSet","JPEX_EMR_Tail_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_RIFLE_REFLECTORS","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_EMR_Shot_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_EMR_Tail_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
        };
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_EMR_Shot_SoundSet","JPEX_EMR_Tail_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_RIFLE_REFLECTORS","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
            {
                soundSetShot[] = {"JPEX_EMR_Shot_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_EMR_Tail_Silenced_SoundSet","JPEX_FRAME_NOISE_LAYER_762MM"};
            };
        };
    };
    class srifle_dmr_03_f: DMR_03_base_F
    {
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
            };
            {
            };
        };
        {
            class BaseSoundModeType;
            {
            };
            {
            };
        };
    };
};

Also I tried to give the BiPods new sounds. Tho nothings working. I made  the config like this:

{
    class JSRSAPEX_ReloadingSounds
    {
        units[] = { };
        weapons[] = { };
        version = "1";
        author = "LordJarhead";
    };
};
class Mode_SemiAuto;
class Mode_Burst;
class Mode_FullAuto;
class CfgWeapons
{
    class Pistol;
    class Pistol_Base_F ;
    class Rifle_Base_F;
    class Rifle_Long_Base_F;
    class Launcher;
    class Launcher_Base_F;
    class GrenadeLauncher;
    class ItemCore;
    class InventoryItem_Base_F;
class InventoryUnderItem_Base_F;

class bipod_01_F_snd : ItemCore
    {
        class ItemInfo : InventoryUnderItem_Base_F
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (1).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (1).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_01_F_khk : bipod_01_F_snd
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (3).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (3).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_01_F_mtp : bipod_01_F_snd
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (2).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (2).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_01_F_blk : bipod_01_F_snd
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (1).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (1).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    

class bipod_02_F_blk : bipod_01_F_snd
    {
        class ItemInfo : ItemInfo
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (4).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (4).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_02_F_hex : bipod_02_F_blk
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (4).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (4).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_02_F_tan : bipod_02_F_blk
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (5).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (5).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    

class bipod_03_F_blk : bipod_01_F_snd
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (6).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (6).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    
    class bipod_03_F_oli : bipod_03_F_blk
    {
        {
            soundBipodDown[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Down (6).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
            soundBipodUp[] = {"JSRSAPEX_P_Weaponsounds\BiPod\Rifle_Up (6).ogg",1.25, 1, 25};
        };
    };    

Ingame is no sound working (totally silent) and neither an RPT nor an error message shows up. Tho all the BiPods are an "JSRS AddOns" and are required while saving missions/editor. I dont get it...

Is there anyone to help me out here? Any kind of help would be appreciated. I searched configs browsers, config viewer ingame and https://configs.arma3.ru/. Still I can't find a solution...

LJ

you need to mimic the inheritance from and not change it

get a config dump from 1.64 or use the config explorer to check

also review your requiredAddons

finally dont use space and non standard characters in filenames

you need to mimic the inheritance from and not change it

get a config dump from 1.64 or use the config explorer to check

also review your requiredAddons

finally dont use space and non standard characters in filenames

That's what I did. I copied the exact inheritance form of all the contents... still it doesn't seem to work...

Required addons seemed to fit as so far. And the space and non standard characters in files and paths never caused a problem before ...

LJ

I have a question regarding the legal state of using library based audio material for mods, maybe some of you can answer this...

So, is it ok to use material from sample libraries I bought for a mod?

In the end no one is profiting from using paid samples in any way, modding is just community based nonprofit work right?

Take the JSRS audio mod for example...

Props to LordJarhead btw, did you record all audio material or did you use library based samples to design specific sounds?

I have a question regarding the legal state of using library based audio material for mods, maybe some of you can answer this...

So, is it ok to use material from sample libraries I bought for a mod?

In the end no one is profiting from using paid samples in any way, modding is just community based nonprofit work right?

Take the JSRS audio mod for example...

Props to LordJarhead btw, did you record all audio material or did you use library based samples to design specific sounds?

If you buy a library you can use the sounds wherever you please. Especially in mods. For details read the licence agreement of your libraries.

This is an excerpt from the 'Boom library' sound effects collection.  I'd check with the library owners for distribution rights before releasing anything.

"The MEDIA LICENSE also forbids any re-distribution method of the CONTENT, through any means, including but not limited to, re-selling, trading, sharing, resampling, mixing, processing, isolating, or embedding into software or hardware of any kind, for the purpose of re-recording or reproduction as part of any free or commercial library of musical and/or sound effect samples and/or articulations, or any form of musical sample or sound effect sample playback system or device."

:)

This is an excerpt from the 'Boom library' sound effects collection.  I'd check with the library owners for distribution rights before releasing anything.

"The MEDIA LICENSE also forbids any re-distribution method of the CONTENT, through any means, including but not limited to, re-selling, trading, sharing, resampling, mixing, processing, isolating, or embedding into software or hardware of any kind, for the purpose of re-recording or reproduction as part of any free or commercial library of musical and/or sound effect samples and/or articulations, or any form of musical sample or sound effect sample playback system or device."

:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this simply means that you can't distribute unmodified content you may have bought. You can however share or distribute your work based on, or including, the content - at least that's how I understand this :

The MEDIA LICENSE includes:

1. Mechanical rights

The right to re-record, duplicate and release the CONTENT as part of your product/production in whatever medium you choose (i.e. video tape, film, CD ROM, DVD, digital formats). This does not include the right to resell the CONTENT as a standalone product in whole or in parts.

2. Synchronization rights

The right to use the CONTENT as a soundtrack "synced" with visual images, or sounds as part of your product/production.

3. Public Performance Broadcast rights

The right to use the CONTENT as part of the public viewing or broadcast of your product/production, including but not limited to videos, DVDs, web sites, podcasts, multimedia presentations, films, television, and radio.

The MEDIA LICENSE is granted worldwide and unlimited in time.

Boom

Can I use your sounds in a video game?
Yes, you can use the sounds in any game production you want even if the sounds are in an open database in the software.  Happy days.  

Great Library btw

• Like 2

Alright, I had a little time to dig into this - there are some things I don't understand yet, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Let's start step by step ^^

1. Which files of the original content are overwritten by the mod and how does the game engine know whats happening?

I can see the modded configs of specific weapons and the included wss/ogg, but how does the engine decide which files to use?

I guess I just want to know where the dependencies are declared.

Especially because I see every mod uses custom *.pbo names (which makes sense) but how does the game engine know what to do?

2. I'm by no means a programmer per se, I just find my ways around programming and scripting things as an audio engineer.  Can I use a modded config file for my own mods?

So there was something called the public soundmod framework by LAxemann, don't know if he actually released it or not. But I guess it is something like example configs right?

Are there more examples - especially for APEX audio?

That's all for now, I'm really excited about this :)

Alright, I had a little time to dig into this - there are some things I don't understand yet, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Let's start step by step ^^

1. Which files of the original content are overwritten by the mod and how does the game engine know whats happening?

I can see the modded configs of specific weapons and the included wss/ogg, but how does the engine decide which files to use?

I guess I just want to know where the dependencies are declared.

Especially because I see every mod uses custom *.pbo names (which makes sense) but how does the game engine know what to do?

2. I'm by no means a programmer per se, I just find my ways around programming and scripting things as an audio engineer.  Can I use a modded config file for my own mods?

So there was something called the public soundmod framework by LAxemann, don't know if he actually released it or not. But I guess it is something like example configs right?

Are there more examples - especially for APEX audio?

That's all for now, I'm really excited about this :)

Welcome. I am very busy but I'll start off and hopefully others will help.

1. Learn about configs and inheritance. Ask around on the forum or arma3 discord for that. This is important knowledge and not super easy to come by, but if you try hard enough you'll get it. Try to get someone who understand configs to explain it to you. :)

Basically, no matter how many PBOs the game loads, inside these PBOs are configs. And they define certain things, like weapon X will use soundSet Y. Whatever ist the LAST addon in your load-order will be used by the game.

So let's say your mod-load-order is: @SuperSound;@UberAudio

SuperSound.pbo says: weapon X uses SoundSet Y which uses SoundShaders ABC with Sound1.wss, Sound2.wss, Sound3.wss

and

UberAudio.pbo says: weapon X uses SoundSet Z which uses different SoundShaders DEF with Sound4.wss, Sound5.wss, Sound6.wss

SoundSet Z will be used, because it's last in the load order. This is how the game knows what to use.

Have you looked at this?

2. Yes, you can use a modded config but I'd say it's more important to understand how configs work in general.