I can't imagine that being possible with only frequency and volume parameters. I would presume it has something to do with the model and nozzel radius rather than anything else which I can only see happening with scripts, unless there is some top secret classes or something. Then again I've only been sound modding for 4 weeks or something so who's knows haha. Will probably have to wait out until the new sound engine tbh, see what that has to offer. 

Anyway while I'm here I managed to finally upload V2 of my F16 sounds so I'll link it if anyone wants to have a good old gander. 

Nice!  Making good progress, I don't like competition in this field but it's definitely good to see other modders who are actually interested in this stuff.  If you have any questions related to how I get samples, don't be afraid to hit me up!  I've done multiple aircraft over the past few years, less now that I'm finishing college, but that's inevitable. 

I was talking to LJ earlier, after I posted this and forgot to update, and he mentioned the same thing as well.  The sound engine is severely limited at the moment, and personally I hope that will change soon.  I would absolutely LOVE to see a completely overhauled audio-rendering engine in ArmA 3.  Imagine having just one, maybe two, samples for an aircraft/gun and let the audio engine decide what to do with the atmosphere, buildings, thrust, heat, etc...  But that would be dreaming.

I'll be uploading a showcase on my channel tomorrow on the progress I've made with the F-16 for the USAF mod.  Hope to get a separate config released within the next week or so.

Nice!  Making good progress, I don't like competition in this field but it's definitely good to see other modders who are actually interested in this stuff.  If you have any questions related to how I get samples, don't be afraid to hit me up!  I've done multiple aircraft over the past few years, less now that I'm finishing college, but that's inevitable. 

I was talking to LJ earlier, after I posted this and forgot to update, and he mentioned the same thing as well.  The sound engine is severely limited at the moment, and personally I hope that will change soon.  I would absolutely LOVE to see a completely overhauled audio-rendering engine in ArmA 3.  Imagine having just one, maybe two, samples for an aircraft/gun and let the audio engine decide what to do with the atmosphere, buildings, thrust, heat, etc...  But that would be dreaming.

I'll be uploading a showcase on my channel tomorrow on the progress I've made with the F-16 for the USAF mod.  Hope to get a separate config released within the next week or so.

Good old competition. I've been wanting to make decent jet sounds since, shit, like 1 year ago but never knew how cause there were no tutorials but now that I have one its my most favorite thread here. Not to mention I'm extremely passionate about fighter aircraft so sounds have to be perfect. 

Yea I understand with the randomization. Kinda like the classic class 'woods' effects thing where it selects through like 10 different 'woods' sound. Would be great for vehicles and especially aircraft cause then it doesnt always sound the same! Hopefully the new sound engine allows for such thing cause if it does, oh man, I'm going to go nuts haha :P 

@xxgetbuck123

The outside sound is very nice. But the interior sound sounds too much like a vacuum cleaner...

@xxgetbuck123

The outside sound is very nice. But the interior sound sounds too much like a vacuum cleaner...

That is also what I originally thought as well, however I then realised I took those sounds from GoPro video and that's exactly what the interior sounded like :P I do have heaps of other interior sounds however I'll fiddle around with them later. 

• Like 1

@LAxemann 

Where can I find a base config file for a vehicle with the new sound engine setup? I want to start transferring sounds over and seeing what its like however I can't find any configs relating to the new sound engine. I'm using the RC 1.56 build atm yet still nothing. 

Cheers

EDIT: nvm got it thanks to old mate Pinaz :) 

@LAxemann 

Where can I find a base config file for a vehicle with the new sound engine setup? I want to start transferring sounds over and seeing what its like however I can't find any configs relating to the new sound engine. I'm using the RC 1.56 build atm yet still nothing. 

Cheers

EDIT: nvm got it thanks to old mate Pinaz :)

New config is only used for shots and explosions right now. Vehicles are not yet using new configuration.

• Like 1

New config is only used for shots and explosions right now. Vehicles are not yet using new configuration.

Looks like I am waiting till the update release then :( Was getting all excited and shit 

Patience. :) Arma is finally getting a sound engine after nearly 15 years... This is HUGE. The basics of the old sound engine were planted when I was 9 years old. Let's give the devs more time, vehicles are going to get an overhaul for sure some day. We must understand that right now the very low end basics of the engine are layed down (stereo playback, universal configuration system) and after that is done it can be used in more complex systems.

I know it's awesome to be excited about "your own" project and it sucks that you can't do everything you want because of the engine but you guys are doing awesome work with these jets already! They really sound cool! I am no jet guy but to me at least they really sound cool. :)

I also strongly believe that no matter how cool and awesome all this nerdy config stuff is - in the end it comes down to using great source material. Elite:Dangerous has one of the most amazing sound designs yet it would not sound as cool without the crazy-interesting source material that is being fed into the engine. Even the old arma sound engine can sound really really good with good sounds. :)

• Like 2

Patience. :) Arma is finally getting a sound engine after nearly 15 years... This is HUGE. The basics of the old sound engine were planted when I was 9 years old. Let's give the devs more time, vehicles are going to get an overhaul for sure some day. We must understand that right now the very low end basics of the engine are layed down (stereo playback, universal configuration system) and after that is done it can be used in more complex systems.

I know it's awesome to be excited about "your own" project and it sucks that you can't do everything you want because of the engine but you guys are doing awesome work with these jets already! They really sound cool! I am no jet guy but to me at least they really sound cool. :)

I also strongly believe that no matter how cool and awesome all this nerdy config stuff is - in the end it comes down to using great source material. Elite:Dangerous has one of the most amazing sound designs yet it would not sound as cool without the crazy-interesting source material that is being fed into the engine. Even the old arma sound engine can sound really really good with good sounds. :)

So will this sound engine overhaul come with everything when it eventually comes out? Or will it be bits added over time? 

I actually extremely excited about sounds because sounds make everything immersive! Good sounds = good fuckin time! 

So will this sound engine overhaul come with everything when it eventually comes out? Or will it be bits added over time? 

I actually extremely excited about sounds because sounds make everything immersive! Good sounds = good fuckin time! 

I don't know when the new sound engine will go from dev-branch to public. And yes, sound really adds to the immersion. :)

I don't know when the new sound engine will go from dev-branch to public. And yes, sound really adds to the immersion. :)

I thought it was coming out in the Eden update? Or is that just the graphics? As I swear they mentioned it being an Eden update thing

I thought it was coming out in the Eden update? Or is that just the graphics? As I swear they mentioned it being an Eden update thing

Well you asked if the sound engine with "everything" is coming out. :P That I do not know. I am not really up to date on what gets released when. I just kinda do my thing, heh.

On a side note. More Wiki info.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/cfgSound3DProcessors

• Like 1

Quick question

"camPos*2*

"engineOn*camPos*

Does anyone know what they actually mean? I have two similar sounds but one is *2* while the other is *4* so I'm not sure how it works. I see them everywhere but not sure what they're actually used for. 

I know 

"(1-camPos)*

Is interior but the others.. 

Cheers

Quick question

"camPos*2*

"engineOn*camPos*

Does anyone know what they actually mean? I have two similar sounds but one is *2* while the other is *4* so I'm not sure how it works. I see them everywhere but not sure what they're actually used for. 

I know 

"(1-camPos)*

Is interior but the others.. 

Cheers

Yes. These are all parts of volume expressions.

Expressions are used because the volume (or other parameters) need to change depending on controllers (WIKI page is WIP, I just created it) such as speed, GmeterZ etc. These values are dynamic and change with gameplay events. For example the controller rotorSpeed becomes a bigger number as the speed of the rotors increases. This can be used to increase volume (and frequency) of a rotor sound.

The expressions are math. Values are added and multiplied and the final value is the volume gain of the sound. If something is multiplied by 0 the result is 0 so the sound is silent. So if the engine of a vehicle is disabled the engineOn controller is 0, everything multiplied with that controller is also 0 so it makes sense to use that controller with samples of engines which are silent when the engines are off.

This makes sense?

camPos is 1 when you use the 3rd person mode and is connected to the camera/listener in the 3D world. It's used for distance calculations between you and the sound source (and I am sure many other things too).

So if you want to make sure that something is only played when the FPS camera is used you use (1-camPos). Think about it. There is an internal sound. You switch the camera to 3rd person and the expression 1-camPos becomes 0. All sounds with that expression go silent.

Phew. It's late but I hope you understand better now?

• Like 1

It is believed the the basic overhaul for the sound engine regarding infantry weapons, explosions, vehicle weapon sounds and explosions are being foccused ok for Eden Update. The Visual update on the other hand was selectively pushed back to Apex release with everything, because they were unable to stage bits and pieces of the visual update on dev beach without major graphical issues. With the graphics, they must all be staged at once in order to work properly. So I think right now, sound engine fixes are in overdrive, for Eden.

Yes. These are all parts of volume expressions.

Expressions are used because the volume (or other parameters) need to change depending on controllers (WIKI page is WIP, I just created it) such as speed, GmeterZ etc. These values are dynamic and change with gameplay events. For example the controller rotorSpeed becomes a bigger number as the speed of the rotors increases. This can be used to increase volume (and frequency) of a rotor sound.

The expressions are math. Values are added and multiplied and the final value is the volume gain of the sound. If something is multiplied by 0 the result is 0 so the sound is silent. So if the engine of a vehicle is disabled the engineOn controller is 0, everything multiplied with that controller is also 0 so it makes sense to use that controller with samples of engines which are silent when the engines are off.

This makes sense?

camPos is 1 when you use the 3rd person mode and is connected to the camera/listener in the 3D world. It's used for distance calculations between you and the sound source (and I am sure many other things too).

So if you want to make sure that something is only played when the FPS camera is used you use (1-camPos). Think about it. There is an internal sound. You switch the camera to 3rd person and the expression 1-camPos becomes 0. All sounds with that expression go silent.

Phew. It's late but I hope you understand better now?

Yea I think I understand.

So camPos*1* is 3rd person camera, but what about camPos*2*/*3*/*4*? Do they have any direct meaning or are they just multiplications? 

Yea I think I understand.

So camPos*1* is 3rd person camera, but what about camPos*2*/*3*/*4*? Do they have any direct meaning or are they just multiplications? 

You don't need camPos*1.

camPos IS 1 in 3rd person and 0 in 1st person.

With the other values the sound designer is multiplying the volume by 2/3/4, increasing it.

• Like 1

why is it that when I try to access pboProject I get an error message?

the error says

"the procedure entry point? pbo getdefaultignorecompreesionlist@depbo

could not be located in the dynamic link library depbo64.dll

why is it that when I try to access pboProject I get an error message?

the error says

"the procedure entry point? pbo getdefaultignorecompreesionlist@depbo

could not be located in the dynamic link library depbo64.dll

PboProject usually only has problems when the setup is incorrect (no arma3 tools installed from steam and ran at least once for example).

Are you getting the error when you are opening pboProject or when you are trying to pack something?

Try re-installing the tools from this package: http://bit.ly/1ZkW0LC

On your Wiki their Mega, you've got the SoundShader as the "most basic sound entity in the Arma 3 sound engine".

- Does this mean that it pretty much replaces the current way of laying out sound cfgs? And does it work for vehicles?

I recently tried adding it to my trusty jet sound cfg, I input all the correct values and names and brackets all kinds of good stuff however it doesn't work, so I'm not sure whether its for like 'environment' level stuff or can it be used for vehicles. I'm just confused where I can actually use this stuff haha

Cheers

PboProject usually only has problems when the setup is incorrect (no arma3 tools installed from steam and ran at least once for example).

Are you getting the error when you are opening pboProject or when you are trying to pack something?

Try re-installing the tools from this package: http://bit.ly/1ZkW0LC

Yea I'm getting the error opening it up :(  I will download and try reinstalling

On your Wiki their Mega, you've got the SoundShader as the "most basic sound entity in the Arma 3 sound engine".

- Does this mean that it pretty much replaces the current way of laying out sound cfgs? And does it work for vehicles?

I recently tried adding it to my trusty jet sound cfg, I input all the correct values and names and brackets all kinds of good stuff however it doesn't work, so I'm not sure whether its for like 'environment' level stuff or can it be used for vehicles. I'm just confused where I can actually use this stuff haha

Cheers

Well yes, that's the whole point! But old configs will still work because Bohemia wants backwards compatibility.

The new sound stuff is not yet implemented for vehicles. Currently new configuration only really works for weapons and explosions.

Yea I'm getting the error opening it up :(  I will download and try reinstalling

Okay. Seems like a setup issue. If you still get the errors after a reinstall, I believe it's time to go into Mikero's thread and ask there.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/113852-mikeros-dos-tools/

You might be aware of this, but just getting pboProject won't do the trick, you have to install other components as well. If you wanna be very sure, just install everything from here.

You might be aware of this, but just getting pboProject won't do the trick, you have to install other components as well. If you wanna be very sure, just install everything from here.

hOk, its working now :D