Pomi Git

BHI Mods Discussion thread

The more I think about it the more I am convinced this isn't about lawsuit fear, that I think is a red herring. There are so many courses of action that could be taken to avoid lawsuit (which would never come anyway- I am speaking from a point of expertise here) that is is rediculous: they could remove Star Wars from the name, they could tweak the name of assets or change a few details so as to avoid potential issues, or they could be like OPTRE and not give a darn, because nothing will happen...

I think this is more about a team collapse as evidenced by developments mentioned during the Storm Trooper release, or perhaps a loss of interest. I'm not buying that this is some sudden change of heart when the mod was born in the shadow of Battlefront, but if it was, how about you guys just hand over the assets to some people who aren't afraid to finish it? We have enough let downs with mods on a regular basis to watch this one die as well...

As many others have said before me: Microsoft is completely fine with fan made mods which is why we aren´t afraid of legal action against us. You really shouldn´t compare Imperial Assault with OPTRE because the copyright concerns about Star Wars are completely valid and if they are not willing to take the risk (which is absolutely understandable) you can´t blame them for stopping it.

Actually I don´t even understand why this is still discussed. The day they announced that they will stop IA, large chunks of the community (including me) wondered why they decided to stop and they explained it the best the could. Just accept that, it´s not like they will completely stop to create awesome assets it´s just their own design this time and I´m sure it will be very interesting.

• Like 3

Unless you're going to accuse pomigit of faking the Lucasfilm reply... yeah, the move to shut down Imperial Assault was not without valid foresight, and the response does very well have implications for anyone who would be a "spiritual successor." (Read: Any Star Wars mod in Arma.)

So basically mate, you're pissed off because something you were looking forward to got canceled. And being disappointed is natural. But that doesn't give you a right to start trying to pick a fight with people. After all, BHI is an amateur team, they don't owe you anything, they never asked for your time or money. So coming in here with a pissy attitude isn't going to win you any support, especially when "don't harass the modders" is one of the very few inviolate rules of the forum. As for the legal side of things, when you're willing to risk being taken to court by own of the most litigation happy companies in the world (Disney), then maybe you have the right to tell them they shouldn't have stopped. Because from where I'm sitting, you're just an ideas guy with an attitude. 

Calm down war_lord. Just let this die so the topic can not be further derailed than you two have already made it. Just wait for pomigit or someone from Blue Harvest to comment on their next mod's plans.

On another note, why is the modding community for Arma 3 such a mess??? The mods in this game don't hold a candle to the last couple Armas... 

I can see this statement is merely attempting to provoke a negative reaction, Yet i'm going to continue typing. The reason for the (what you and others may call lacking) content not being as large as you wish it to be relies on a number of key factors. Alot of the older, more experienced teams and alot of standalone modders ended their modding careers rather quickly with the total lack of respect and appreciation shown by a portion of the community that would constantly be paying out anything that they dislike about whatever aspect of said mods. Now whilst i don't feel the need to explain myself to the likes of you i will say that with Arma 3 came many new features yet many new hurdles and complications with different aspects of modding the game, which makes porting content from previous titles a very arduous and finicky process which people these days simply don't have time for whilst trying to balance a family, work etc etc. 

TL;DR- Don't talk as if you know anything when you yourself contribute absolutely naught to the community, you and people like you are what "is wrong" with the community today.

Well, if you guys are searching for ideas and concepts, why not go back to Jurassic ArmA? I know one of your devs had worked on it, and I doubt there would be any problem with lawsuits against it considering Dinosaurs used to exist, so why not go back to that mod and improve on it? Wouldn't be that hard, would it?

• Like 2

Sad to hear about this, but it is understandable, Disney... Is Disney.

About what doing next, I could recommend a Killzone or Terminator mod, but these could have legal issues too. I don't know if it would be possible for you to aid the optre dev team, or even join forces with them, but I think that, considering your capabilities and skills, you would achieve something really amazing in a shorter time due to the number of people working on it, and in the end the community would benefit from it. Have you considered that? It is just that I can't even imagine what you guys could achieve together, both in optre and first contact.

The other option would be to create your own futuristic science fiction scenario, or base it on something that has no way to legal action or copyright, pretty much like the lost dragons mod.  About some reference, well in deviant art there are tons of stuff, from written to actual pictures and concepts. You can always take inspiration from there or ask the authors permission to use something of their creation. http://nightovizard.deviantart.com/favourites/?catpath=%2F&offset=456

So well, really optre has so many stuff on it, so many possibilities and content, very rich universe, there are 2 human factions and there is the covenant, etc. But in case you want to have more freedom and take more liberties, go for something of your own. That is all I can say, you guys can really do amazing stuff for the community, so please keep up the good work!

Best regards.

About what doing next, I could recommend a Killzone or Terminator mod,

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that ArmA 3 mods (or ones for BIS games in general) based on other IPs aren't going to happen - not just from BHI but in general. OPTRE is an exception because they know explicitly that what they're doing is okay with Microsoft, but pretty much every mod based on another IP has been shot down because of legal concerns (or actual legal trouble.)

There was an actual Terminator mod being developed for ArmA awhile back during the Make Arma Not War contest but it was taken out of the contest and eventually shut down completely for legal reasons. No reason why WB would be okay with another one being made.

It is...unfortunate that this project has been struck by the cruel mistress that is copyright law, but, I've yet to see a mod by pomigit and co. that didn't add something new and interesting to ArmA 3. So, I eagerly await their next addition to the modding scene.

And, for those complaining, accusing, and whatnot. Remember, however disappointed you feel, I guarantee you the team feels at least 10x worse, so, don't add to that, please.

• Like 3

You want something completely different from the normal mods..?

How about something like the ARPG style mod concept I was working on. Unfortunately I have nowhere near enough time to continue this now as it is a pretty large scope... But definitely doable and pretty different to anything else.

(Would also benefit a lot from additional model content/maps to put your amazing artists to work!)

• Like 2

You want something completely different from the normal mods..?

How about something like the ARPG style mod concept I was working on. Unfortunately I have nowhere near enough time to continue this now as it is a pretty large scope... But definitely doable and pretty different to anything else.

(Would also benefit a lot from additional model content/maps to put your amazing artists to work!)

Really impressed you were able to create that in the arma engine... 

Really impressed you were able to create that in the arma engine... 

Cheers! It was surprisingly doable and a total conversion mod with that kind of gameplay is definitely doable although it would be quite the time investment.

Purely born out of a desire to attempt something completely different to all the other offerings.

My thoughts (if I had time) were  to introduce a a new very simple cartoony terrain and models to meet the aesthetic of it. A team with some dedicated modelers could definitely pull it off..........

Whatever we do it will be something fresh and different to whats available now. ...

I know the feeling! Although forgive me if my (vain?) hope is that Disney replies with the green light for this mod.

Otherwise - do you have any big picture idea concepts you are up for sharing?

Thanks Scorch, very nice of you to say that, really appreciate it.

@zodd I advised of Disney's response already https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187178-bhi-mods-discussion-thread/#entry2964053

On that note, everything that is to be said about the cancellation has been said, I see no value in going round and round on the topic. We are now keen to put all this behind us and focus on our next project.

With respects to the new project, we do now have a fairly solid concept that we are in the throes of fine tuning. I can confirm it is not planned to be a mod for ARMA 3. I mentioned previously that we have been investigating Unreal Engine to make our own standalone game, this is the path we are currently pursuing, but there is still much to work through.

I can also confirm the concept is SCI-FI based. I don't want to say too much more because its still early days for this project and things may change dramatically, and of course it wouldn't even be appropriate for us to discuss an external project here on the BI forum anyway.

All going well we'll make an announcement in the next month or two on our social channels.

Sorry if this disappoints those hoping for another ARMA mod. Its not to say I wont make another one at some point, and of course Ruppertle still has his other mods out there :)

BHI, i have some important things to say about it:

-First: You have to decide make a new Standalone game (unreal  engine) or make a Arma 3 MOD.

-Second: We (players) dont need a new game or mod using actual or near future weapons and gears. For this we have a lot of content (BF3, BF 4, CODs, SQUAD, ARMA 3, RHS, ARMA 2, Project Reality)

Futuristic content its not a good option, because we cannot imerse on it, because nothing is real or similar to reality. 

What is needed in the market about  simulator games?

World War II mods or games (Russian, American, Japanese, German, Britain), you can do a lot of maps to represent these conflicts.

Sincerly a Arma 3 MOD in the World War II will be fantastic, many will say (we have the I44 or Iron Front) but I 44 was canceled and Iron front its a arma 2 ported version. Your team can start a completly new content, more realistic, more exciting.

Will the pode include:

-Vehicles: Sherman, Tiger, King Tiger, Halftrack, motorcicle, Jeep, etc..

-Air vehicles: Bf 109, B 17, P-47, Stuka, etc..

-Water Vehicles: LCVP, aircraft carrier, battleships, etc..

- Guns: Thompson, Springfield, colt 1911, BAR, MG 42, KAR 98, M1 Garand, etc..

-Static Guns: cannons, artilhary, flak 88, etc..

-Structures: bunkers, nest, etc..

Think with me:

Imagine a ocean map, with some isolated tropical islands, Amarican VS japanese fight.

Objetive destroy the aircraft carrier and capture the island.

Multiplayer with ( driveble battleships, aircraft carriers like in BF 1942), planes, islands and others, these will be fantastic.

Thanks....

• Like 1

BHI, i have some important things to say about it:

-First: You have to decide make a new Standalone game (unreal  engine) or make a Arma 3 MOD.

-Second: We (players) dont need a new game or mod using actual or near future weapons and gears. For this we have a lot of content (BF3, BF 4, CODs, SQUAD, ARMA 3, RHS, ARMA 2, Project Reality)

Besides the fact most communitys play in a modern setting. Also: There still are many modern warfare areas that are almost untouched in A3...

Futuristic content its not a good option, because we cannot imerse on it, because nothing is real or similar to reality. 

That is just false. Plain and simple.

In addition to that BHI said many times that they want to create something original.

• Like 2

With respects to the new project, we do now have a fairly solid concept that we are in the throes of fine tuning. I can confirm it is not planned to be a mod for ARMA 3. I mentioned previously that we have been investigating Unreal Engine to make our own standalone game, this is the path we are currently pursuing, but there is still much to work through.

Then it has no place here in an ARMA 3 addon discussion thread, sorry.

Mods, this should be in the off topic section.

You have to decide make a new Standalone game (unreal  engine) or make a Arma 3 MOD.

Hi sgtryan88, I thought I was clear on this on my post but in case I wasnt, we are solely focused on our external project at this time. I noted that Im not ruling out making another mod at some point down the line, I still love ARMA 3 :)

Then it has no place here in an ARMA 3 addon discussion thread, sorry.

There's no need to apologise but it is not the purpose of this thread to discuss the external project, I did say as much in my post (quote below). 

..of course it wouldn't even be appropriate for us to discuss an external project here on the BI forum anyway.

I also noted where we would provide updates for the project (which is not this thread :)):

All going well we'll make an announcement in the next month or two on our social channels.

Hey Pomigit,just an idea,maybe a Syndicate-type mod in Armaverse??I doubt it will be easy to implement augs but even visually it will rock having a small dystopian futuristic city map with your agents against some big corporation like Disnecraft powerful corporate army. :P

Besides,cyberpunk is the most closest sci-fi niche to real world,weak governments,powerful corporations,unregulated tech.

This project can't die out this quick, this has a very big potential. Wouldn't removing the keywords Star Wars from the mod name and having it non-commercial a option since bigger companies tend to allow user creations to roll on if it doesn't get any money.

The dice have already fallen. At this point it's like actling like an overly attached GF/BF...

WW2 mod will be the most popular since there is none out there (which is amazing there isn't one and it has been this long).  Though I wouldn't mind Command and Conquer :D  Infact when somebody created a mod for it for a different game (HALO?) the studio supported it (or atleast mentioned it in their website).  I would think the best course of action for popular sci-fis, such as Command & Conquer, Battlestar Galatica, and such, is to ask permission from the owners to guarantee it is not being redistributed for profit or any money is involved with it and as such.

As Pomigit mentioned earlier in the thread, they're concentrating on trying to create a new game. If that's the case it would explain why they haven't posted all that often. It could be a while before they get around to doing any more modding for A3. :)

• Like 1

@blacknite3d As I understand it theres a few WWII mods in flight. Others could point you in the right direction.

In terms of our own ARMA modding we do have a little side project ill be posting about soon. I haven't touched ARMA modding for a while so I need to get up to speed with some of the changes that have been made :)